Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I like how they are willing to treat me with contempt.

New thread title!

I use Firefox on my phone because it crashes far less often than Chrome. Even so, I can't seem to switch back to Firefox on my desktop-- too many things Just Work in Chrome that take finagling in Firefox.

supermikhail posted:

In other news, why? :eng99: Oh, why, does it do this to me? I now check quite anal-retentively that after I bookmark a page it is in the folder that I want. And still, a while later it somehow winds up in "other bookmarks". It's not helpful!

It's like they're trying to force us to use the search bar to find bookmarks, even though that doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It looks like they've gotten rid of a lot of right click options on stuff, is this a thing I can revert?

I couldn't find anything that worked that didn't look sketchy. I've had to resort to Firefox for that, where it's buried in the about :config stuff now instead of a preference.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I just make the window smaller?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

I updated to the latest CHROMIUM build (64.0.3282.168) and now all the "most visited sites" are gone from the New Tab. Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug? Is it possible to restore them somehow?
It is very irritating, I can barely remember any sites I used to visit now since I've been relying on this feature for so long.

Try refreshing. They don't show up for me half the time unless I refresh, though I'm on Chrome.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Chrome updated to 67.0.3396.62 and my tabs stopped opening at the end of the row. I remember I had to change a setting to get this to work many years ago, but can't find the setting or instructions for tweaking something in the the flags. All I get when searching is people complaining about TabsPlus not working. (I never had it installed.)

Any idea what I changed and how to get it back?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

surf rock posted:

I just got the new Chrome design and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, my eyes.

I tried downloading a few of the most popular dark themes (which I didn't have before, but I do like the ones I have for Firefox and Edge), but I didn't like them on Chrome. Anyone have neutral (or neutral-ish) Chrome themes they could recommend?

Zen Spring is neutral-ish and very soothing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Firefox on mobile is quite good and I like it better than mobile Chrome, honestly.

Desktop Chrome was still working better for me on Linux but I imagine the annoyances I have with Firefox will be outweighed by the lack of good ad blocking on Chrome.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Which is fine if you A) never want to use a particular site and still want to keep it from accessing the rest of your browsing AND B) never browse outside your home.

You can VPN through it when not at home but :effort:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I used to use folders and keep everything well cultivated but at some point post 2009 I just stopped caring. I think it was the recipe blogs that did me in. My largest folder is "food" and I think I just need to purge it and start over. (I'll keep the bookmarks to All About Birds ID pages for the birds I think I see in our neighborhood, though.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
:10bux: says it's so they can stop people from playing YouTube in the background without a YouTube music subscription

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a way, maybe using uBlock or something like that, to block specific web fonts from loading? I am one of those unlucky users for whom the new Twitter font is causing headaches. (It swims in and out of focus! How?? It's awful.)

I thought maybe there'd be an accessibility setting, but I don't see anything helpful.

Any non-malware extensions that could do that?

EDIT: I remembered bookmarklets are still a thing and googled for one to change the font. I can't paste the code here, so here's where I got it from. Problem mostly solved!

effika fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 11, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005
E: double post.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 12, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Just block the new Twitter font with these ublock filters: https://gist.github.com/foone/af8220cb1a3ef6edd3bd1e9f0a843c86
The font list is almost identical so it'll automatically use whatever it was using before.

Javid posted:

Stylus + a twitter-specific userstyle is 100% what you are looking for

Thanks for both of those! Much more automated than my bookmarklet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
What's the best extension to block videos autoplaying for desktop Chrome? I don't need to block the videos entirely, just stop them from auto-playing.