Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Should Chrome really use this much memory, or is this normal? I mean the huge one, I know it splits processes.

Your first problem is that your name is spelled wrong. Check Chrome's internal task manager to see what in particular is using all of the memory. Wrench>Tools>Task Manager

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Well I still have it. I'm not using the default theme though, might have something to do with that?

Edit: Annnnd gone. Apparently I hadn't reset chrome in ages.

Reset as in create new profile?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Chrome doesn't install updates until you close the browser.

I'm talking about the new tab button bug after the newest beta update.

Is it even a bug? Did it revert for you Amppelix or were you talking about something else?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Ah, whoops. I thought that you meant that you still had the "bug" until you had reset something.

What an odd thing for them to change.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think you can group by folders in Google Reader, and there's a bookmarklet to let you subscribe in Google Reader straight from the page you're on.

And then you can use Feedly to make it all nice and pretty. Unless "totally in the browser" means not webpage based, as opposed to not being an external application, in which case I have no clue.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Anyway to bring the plus back as I do miss it and thought it looked better with than without.

I don't think so. It bugged me for a few days when it was introduced into the beta channel, but I don't notice it at all now.

Anyone else's fonts look a little weird and blurry on their extension notifications after the change to 18?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

computer parts posted:

This is more of a Google thing than a Chrome thing, but this seems the most relevant thread, so I remember that there was an option a while back to block sites from your search results; did Google get rid of that or is it buried in a menu somewhere?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nolijncfnkgaikbjbdaogikpmpbdcdef

EDIT: Huh, the link isn't working. Look for Personal Blocklist.

I seem to remember there being some way to do that without the extension, but that may have just been a temporary thing to help them rejigger their algorithms to prevent content farms from dominating every search result.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Wait, chrome doesn't have native support for RSS feeds? How did they miss that one?

They expect you to use Google Reader.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Is anyone else getting really, really lovely search results in Chrome? I am, and it only happens when I'm signed into my main google account, and then only in Chrome, no other browser. It's not an errant plugin or virus. Incognito mode gives me expected, normal results. Personal results as well as Web History are turned off. I'm in the Chrome Beta channel. Am I in some horrible search algorithm beta? Is there any way out?

Chrome search for "kindle":

Safari search for "kindle", signed into the same Google account:

Bonus Chrome search for "minus":

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 9, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Yossarko posted:

OK I just rolled back to Chrome 18, via oldversion.com, which is what I probably had a week or two ago. Hit the test video, worked perfectly straight away. What the gently caress !

So at least I know that it's Chrome 19+ that fucks up, but it's crazy that noone else is having this problem. I'd still like any help on fixing this as I'm not all that keen on sticking with an old version, especially since Chrome auto-updates.

I had some problems with HTML5 video a few weeks ago, nasty pink and green artifacts on any area of the video with motion. The issue is gone in version 20. maybe you could switch to the beta channel until the stable channel hits 20?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Has anyone compared Adblock Plus to AdBlock? I just switched to AdBlock on a whim and it feels like it's faster and uses less ram with the same tabs open.

Lately my old MBP has been chugging a bit with Chrome after a while, so I'll report back if this seems to fix things.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I want to install Adblock Plus Beta's development build on my version of Chrome, but past v21 you're no longer allowed to install extensions from outside the Chrome store unless you run Chrome with the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install command line flag. I have no idea how to do this on a Mac; could someone give me a quick run down? Thanks!

Here's a link to the build, for those of you who want it: https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

I think you can just drag CRXs or Greasemonkey Scripts into the extensions page to install them.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

wattershed posted:

New thing started this morning with Chrome, was running 21.0.1180.89 and found that a site with flash sorta poo poo the bed. Then went to youtube, and every thumbnailed window was just a black rectangle. Each subsequent site I went to with a flash element put the tab in a perpetually loading state. I could close the tab, but reloading the page (even in incognito) resulted in the same issue.

I rebooted a few times, same issues.

I then tried the dev channel, 23.0.1270.0. Things seemed to be better until "shockwave flash has crashed" appeared (or whatever the yellow warning bar that slides down from below the nav bar says) on a site that had some flash content. From that point, again, I'm having the same issue with any site with flash content.

It used to be that I could independently upgrade flash, but it's sandboxed now, yes? From what I understand, that means I can't really remove flash from Chrome necessarily, right? If so, how the hell am I supposed to try and fix this? Searching for this on google is hard given the broad terms and the issues I'm having so I'm hoping someone else here has experienced this and knows a solution.

chrome://plugins will let you choose what version of Flash you want to use, whether built-in or systemwide.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Having a weird issue with Youtube on Chrome recently: the pages all load skewed to the left instead of centered.

Chrome:

IE:

Additionally some videos have been cutting off before they complete, though that resolves itself if I change the quality. Any ideas? The only extensions I have are Fancy SA and AdBlock, and disabling them both does nothing. I also tried emptying my cache, no change.

e: Deleted the cookies for Youtube and it works fine now, so there was something borked in there it seems.

That's actually YT's new redesign. Google tends to roll things like that out progressively over long periods of time, so you will just have to get used to it.

EDIT: There is a "Show Feedback" link in the lower right, so I guess you can suggest that they handle the layout differently for full screen browsers.

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Scrolling just got a whole lot snappier for me with the newest beta on OSX, like around 30 fps snappier. Looking at the revision log, there are a lot of tweaks to page rendering and scrolling in this update.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Anyone else getting a weird freezing bug on Chrome Beta with Mac OS X 10.8.2? Things usually run fine for a few hours, then for some bizarre reason no new websites will load and opening up a new tab will just bring up a blank page instead of showing anything. When I then try to quit Chrome, the rest of the Macbook freezes up and I have to do a hard reboot.

Please help, I really don't want to switch to Safari. :(

Should be fixed soonish: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=158469

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 1, 2013

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Amazing! Thanks.

Ok, looks like it should be fixed in the current Beta release: http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=172775

Thankfully I could find it by searching for "OS X" in the changelog, rather than trying to sift through the 1471 results for "GPU". :psyduck:

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

This is getting ridiculous -- I can't use Chrome (beta or stable) for more than 3-4 hours before it freezes up on me and forces a hard reboot of my Macbook. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

It looks like they disabled Force Compositing Mode for OSX in the newest beta due to all the issues people have been having with it, so maybe you will be good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

This is the developer's opinion of what to do since HTTP Switchboard is going to become uMatrix and have the adblock stuff taken out: https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/issues/378