Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldMemes posted:

Also, I just can't get into Criminal Intent - I personally find Goren a bit...creepy, for want of a better word.

Just watch the Logan episodes. Those are easily my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Just watch the Logan episodes. Those are easily my favorite.

I did watch one or two of the Jeff Goldblum episodes, I thought they were passable, aside from Goldblum basically playing himself.

So Law & Order: Cape Town, eh? Sounds...interesting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched a couple of them and he's ok. I was never really a huge fan of him to begin with.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The problem with the Jeff Goldblum years is that it was literally the worst writing of any part of Law and Order CI. So yeah, they're not great, but it's mostly because 90% of the episodes are just Jeff Goldblum staring deeply into the camera acting deep with the occasional line.

I think if they'd brought him in around when Logan was around, then he would have been pretty awesome. But the writers ruined his entire character.

I love Goren though. Next time you watch a CI with Goren, just spend the entire episode watching only his character. You'll notice he actually does a ton of really, really subtle things the entire episode that are pretty awesome.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Had a weird dream last night that Cragen and Fin used voodoo magic to track down a serial killer who turned out to be a Norwegian bum.

Nobody else was in the precinct. Just Fin and the Captain sitting in the middle of an empty room using the dark arts to solve a crime.

I would totally watch this show, by the way.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

HookShot posted:

I love Goren though. Next time you watch a CI with Goren, just spend the entire episode watching only his character. You'll notice he actually does a ton of really, really subtle things the entire episode that are pretty awesome.

I like his slowly progressing character arc where he gains more and more weight with each season. :rimshot:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

In a way, I want a L&O MMO.

I would play it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kilonum posted:

In a way, I want a L&O MMO.

I would play it.

You have unlocked the achievement: Un-Stabler beat up 10 perps while no one is looking.

epheneh
Jan 1, 2012

by angerbeet

OldMemes posted:

Aside from his drunken talk about his father in Aftershock, did we ever see McCoy break down or cry in the show?

Also, I just can't get into Criminal Intent - I personally find Goren a bit...creepy, for want of a better word.

He'll always be Gomer Pyle to me. I'm convinced the guy is either completely insane or some kind of crazy multi-leveled actor (that I still don't like).

Actor playing a psychopath playing a cop or some such.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
My favorite role of his is one in which his voice was dubbed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

OldMemes posted:

So Law & Order: Cape Town, eh? Sounds...interesting.

Everyone knows the Johannesburg is where it's at. If it was in Jozi they could combine SVU, CI and Vanilla all into one episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite period of Law and Order were the Briscoe and Curtis years, I felt like the show was firing on all cylinders then. I kinda liked the way they made allusions to the personal lives of the characters without ever really delving too far into them - it felt realistic that Curtis would bring up needing to pick up medicine for his sick wife and Briscoe or the Lieutenant would know what he was talking about but they didn't go any further into it because that's not what the show was about, and they had detective work to go and do.

I felt like it added depth to the characters without intruding (too much) on the actual meat of the show which was a half hour of the police solving the crime and then a half hour of Jack McCoy chewing scenery while female ADAs moved past him in the background on a conveyer belt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I cheer every time Ben Bratt is on Modern Family because I think Rey Curtis was one of the best detectives the show's had.

Also, I watched a random SVU repeat today that was on TV and Stabler got shot in the courtroom and Munch got shot in the rear end.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HookShot posted:

Also, I watched a random SVU repeat today that was on TV and Stabler got shot in the courtroom and Munch got shot in the rear end.

That's the one with the neo-Nazis, isn't it? The first one Marcia Gay Harden is in as the undercover FBI agent? I've been wanting to see that one for a while - maybe it's because of my own personal hatred of racism, but I do enjoy the Law and Order epsiodes when they fight (and beat) racists, like in "Hate" from the original series.

Just thought of another episode I really like - "Teenage Wasteland", where McCoy tries for the death penalty for the only over 18 year old in a group of teenagers who beat a take away owner to death. Crazy McCoy is the best McCoy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

That's the one with the neo-Nazis, isn't it? The first one Marcia Gay Harden is in as the undercover FBI agent? I've been wanting to see that one for a while - maybe it's because of my own personal hatred of racism, but I do enjoy the Law and Order epsiodes when they fight (and beat) racists, like in "Hate" from the original series.

That's the one. Then Harden turned up the following season in the episode about the batshit crazy environmental activists, and as a rape victim in Season 12.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

I felt like it added depth to the characters without intruding (too much) on the actual meat of the show which was a half hour of the police solving the crime and then a half hour of Jack McCoy chewing scenery while female ADAs moved past him in the background on a conveyer belt.

A good show understands that these Briscoe and the Lieutenant would already know why he was going to get the meds. A good show understands there's no need to constantly hammer in exposition.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Man, I forgot how good the last 3 seasons were. Thanks TNT.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Man, I forgot how good the last 3 seasons were. Thanks TNT.

They really were excellent. Shaking up the entire cast was the shot in the arm that the writers needed to get a new burst of creativity. Seasons 18, 19 and 20 were essentially just as good as the glory days of the show from Seasons 6 - 10.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

News from the TCA (Television Critics Association) thing is that Benson is NOT leaving SVU anytime soon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this? posted:

News from the TCA (Television Critics Association) thing is that Benson is NOT leaving SVU anytime soon.

Mariska Hargitay is signed for all of Season 13, but it's a one-year deal (while Giddish and Pino signed two-year contracts, Hargitay is now on a year-to-year basis, and she's still pretty pissed about Meloni's departure). In the back nine, Benson will be in a supervisory role, however, per Hargitay's contract for this season, so I'm convinced that Dann Florek is on his way out.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Mariska Hargitay is signed for all of Season 13, but it's a one-year deal (while Giddish and Pino signed two-year contracts, Hargitay is now on a year-to-year basis, and she's still pretty pissed about Meloni's departure). In the back nine, Benson will be in a supervisory role, however, per Hargitay's contract for this season, so I'm convinced that Dann Florek is on his way out.

If they make Benson the unit captain... :( (Surely Benson is too unstable for a promotion like that?). Dann Florek is one of the best things in the show - I don't mind them writing Benson out, so long as Munch, Finn and Cragen are kept. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldMemes posted:

If they make Benson the unit captain... :( (Surely Benson is too unstable for a promotion like that?). Dann Florek is one of the best things in the show - I don't mind them writing Benson out, so long as Munch, Finn and Cragen are kept. :colbert:

He needs a monkey

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Timby posted:

She'll be back next season. I don't think the show has officially been renewed and the ratings are way down, but NBC's situation is so dire that a 2.0 average is enough to make it the #2 rated scripted show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dr. Huang becomes captain after the show hires the writers of 24 to take over.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am sure last nights episode recycled the plot of a previous episode. There was another episode where some guy got another guy to rape a girl by posing as that girl on a rape-fetish website.
This was an okay episode but it did recycle plots from both CI and a previous SVU.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Madkal posted:

I am sure last nights episode recycled the plot of a previous episode. There was another episode where some guy got another guy to rape a girl by posing as that girl on a rape-fetish website.
This was an okay episode but it did recycle plots from both CI and a previous SVU.

Hell The Closer did that same plot line way back in 2005.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love it when characters from other shows show up in random law and order roles. I'm watching a plot involving Bunny Colvin and Chris Partlow.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Super Nazi episode is on USA right now, if you want to see where SVU said gently caress it all.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

That was a tour de force of SVU insanity. Yeesh. The court room murder spree. The final twist. I think that's up there with the Second Life episode.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

muscles like this? posted:

The end of "Damaged Goods" is loving brutal. Its the one where Lenny finds out that his daughter is murdered and he just breaks down completely.

"She was my baby, Rey! What am I going to do now?" :cry:

That episode gets me every time. That and when Schiff takes his wife off life support and he tears up and when the monitor gives the flatline sound he whimpers and oh god. :(

I was looking through the episodes of SVU on Netflix and something caught my eye.

That's the only episode like that. And I remember watching it too, so it wasn't always like that. Weird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That episode gets me every time. That and when Schiff takes his wife off life support and he tears up and when the monitor gives the flatline sound he whimpers and oh god. :(

Yeah, that's Season 7's finale, "Terminal." That whole episode was amazing, especially when the Governor effectively removes Schiff and appoints a special prosecutor, and then Schiff and McCoy decide to declare legal war on the Governor.

But, yeah, that one muffled sob when he hears the flatline is just heart-crushing. Steven Hill is a goddamned national treasure, even if he was kind of a crazy rear end in a top hat on the set of Mission: Impossible.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Timby posted:

But, yeah, that one muffled sob when he hears the flatline is just heart-crushing. Steven Hill is a goddamned national treasure, even if he was kind of a crazy rear end in a top hat on the set of Mission: Impossible.

I want to hear more about that. I can picture him being cranky (because of, you know, Schiff), but a crazy rear end in a top hat?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I want to hear more about that. I can picture him being cranky (because of, you know, Schiff), but a crazy rear end in a top hat?

"Crazy rear end in a top hat" is an overstatement. Anyway, Hill is very much a strict Orthodox Jew, and much more adherent to the faith than people like Bob Justman or Herb Solow (the Desilu producers who handled both Star Trek and M:I). So, Hill would throw fits about working too early in the morning or working after dark, or working on the Sabbath, he didn't get along with his fellow cast members or the directors, so on and so forth, and eventually both he and the producers decided it wasn't worth it, so he was gone after one season (which resulted in Peter Graves coming aboard as Jim Phelps).

Hill was basically blacklisted from television at that point. I don't think he had another starring role on TV until Law & Order, and as part of coming aboard, he had it written into his contract that his shooting schedules would never conflict with the requirements of Orthodox Judaism.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Stephen Hill sounds very much like the management of my favorite camera store.

Their website won't even take orders on the Sabbath or Jewish Holidays

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kilonum posted:

Stephen Hill sounds very much like the management of my favorite camera store.

Their website won't even take orders on the Sabbath or Jewish Holidays

Guessing you're referring to B&H Photo-Video? Yeah, they shut down completely for Jewish holidays, but they stay open extra-late prior to the start of the holidays in order to fulfill as many orders as humanly possible.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, ordering a used T1i off of them in a week. [/derail]

Dammmit, seasons 9-20 of vanilla need to hit Netflix.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kilonum posted:

Dammmit, seasons 9-20 of vanilla need to hit Netflix.

I'll live if the Cassady year never hits Netflix. Christ, she was terrible -- TNT showed her first episode this afternoon, and it was Godawful.

As great as Jesse L. Martin was as Green, I'll always dream of the Law & Order that never was.

Following Homicide's cancellation and Benjamin Bratt leaving L&O, Richard Belzer tried to get Dick Wolf to move Munch over to Vanilla, to pair Munch and Briscoe, since the L&O / Homicide crossovers were so well-received. Wolf liked the idea, but both he and NBC felt that "two old white guys" wasn't the approach Vanilla needed, and Martin had already signed a contract, which led to Munch being punted to SVU a few years later.

I'm not sure NBC and Wolf were wrong on that point, though ... it would have basically turned L&O into a buddy-cop show with the main characters snarking at each other, and that would have gotten old pretty quickly.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The first season of SVU has some truly great Munch moments - I was watching the one about the woman who dies in an S&M session that goes too far, and Munch pretending to be a German diamond smuggler is hilarious. Sure, Belzer's chemistry with Ice-T is excellent, but season 1 is still a great season for the character.

I really like season 1 - sure, it might be rough around the edges, but that really really fits with the tone of the show, and shooting on lower quality film stock helps - it has that rough, gritty, unvarnished look, a little like the early episodes of The Wire (though SVU is not as good as The Wire).

Anyone else love the scenes when the SVU team have to set up a sting, and act out of character in order to get a suspect? The one where Munch goes undercover in order to expose a travel agent involved in a human trafficking ring is a particular stand out to me.

As much as I love the interaction between Munch and Briscoe, going with Jesse L. Martin was the right choice - Green is pretty great, both as Briscoe's partner, and as the lead after Orbach left the show.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Both of the main boxing characters from Lights Out were on tonight's SVU :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night's episode really made me wish McCoy was still district attorney. It seemed like a case perfectly suited to him.

• Locked thread