Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

knox posted:

Breezing through "The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot and it's just remarkable how much damage this one man did not just to the United States and all the positives things FDR did, but to the entire world, through the CIA. His own wife details her fantasy of murdering him, imagining herself as a rooster with knives on her talons "cutting him to ribbons," and just how much she hates him. These are the men who are drawn to the darkest natures of power, and usually the most effective at it; despised by their own wife & children, yet controlling the strings of domestic/geopolitics with our societal fate in their hand.

I was watching Adam Curtis' new series Can't Get You Out of My Head, and even in places where the CIA had no influence like in China, Mao/his wife/and others labeled political rivals as agents of the CIA to destroy them. The paranoia from within men like Dulles projected onto the world carries on to this day. The battle of "capitalism good vs communist evil" and the decades of indoctrination rage on.

Dulles would betray anyone if it meant more control or power; like Talbot brings up again and again, it is astonishing how little Dulles did to alert FDR to the ongoing Holocaust/assist friends asking him for help to get them out of Europe. He spent more time rescuing ex-Nazis than he did helping longtime Jewish family friends from being murdered.

Growing up seeing stories about Nazis escaping to fascist friendly South American countries, I would think "how does that happen" or who assisted them in escaping justice, and after reading this book I have my answer in Allen Dulles.

yeah i remember reading the evan Thomas book about Eisenhower (Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World) and how he had to keep le may and Dulles from doing coups everywhere and nuking russia over paranoia about the various gaps that were proven false repeatedly.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was listening to Nixonland and it had the odd claim regarding the defeat of the French in 1954 by the Vietminh, that "It was the first military loss for a European colonial power in three hundred years."

That seemed like a poorly researched claim, whether he meant loss in a stand up battle there were plenty of those like Siege of Khartoum or Isandlwana, and if he meant a whole war there was the First Italo-Ethiopian War.

Is Rick Perlstein a credible author? So far the book is pretty good but if he has a dicey reputation research wise not gonna spend the time.

i mean its mostly focused on nixon/etc and Vietnam freeing itself was probably one of the most successful anti colonial revolutions. as a specific worded claim its wrong but alot of European powers were able to keep the boot on other countries throats for a while after or just decided to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its mostly focused on nixon/etc and Vietnam freeing itself was probably one of the most successful anti colonial revolutions. as a specific worded claim its wrong but alot of European powers were able to keep the boot on other countries throats for a while after or just decided to leave.

It's an especially silly claim to make in a book related to the history of the United States of America.

Still a great book though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

Anyone have a comprehensive book on the great depression in the US? I went back through the thread a bit trying to word search, but didn't find anything.

I'd also be interested in this

I read Studs Terkel's oral history Hard Times, which I enjoyed but I would have benefited from a better general understanding of the events

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mauser posted:

Anyone have a comprehensive book on the great depression in the US? I went back through the thread a bit trying to word search, but didn't find anything.

The first half of David Kennedy's Freedom From Fear, which cover the Great Depression and WWII, might be a good starting place. Of course, it's a 20+ year old book at this point, and I'm not up on the latest 1930s scholarship.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Can someone recommend me a book about the crusades?
Preferably something comprehensive, looking at all of them in reasonable depth.
I guess similar to A World Undone for WW1 or Carthage Must Be Destroyed regarding Carthage/the Punic Wars

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BioTech posted:

Can someone recommend me a book about the crusades?
Preferably something comprehensive, looking at all of them in reasonable depth.
I guess similar to A World Undone for WW1 or Carthage Must Be Destroyed regarding Carthage/the Punic Wars

I believe Steven Runciman's three volume History of the Crusades will give you most of what you're looking for. What's missing from that (and most western histories about the crusades) is most of the Islamic perspective.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

dokmo posted:

I believe Steven Runciman's three volume History of the Crusades will give you most of what you're looking for. What's missing from that (and most western histories about the crusades) is most of the Islamic perspective.

For the Islamic perspective The Crusades Through Arab Eyes was great 20 years ago. I'm not sure if something better has come along since.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Fighting Trousers posted:

The first half of David Kennedy's Freedom From Fear, which cover the Great Depression and WWII, might be a good starting place. Of course, it's a 20+ year old book at this point, and I'm not up on the latest 1930s scholarship.

Thanks. It looks like it's a two parter and the first part is called The American People in the Great Depression, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

edit: I also ordered both of those crusades books and the WW1 one as well from the local book shop.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 11, 2022

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

glynnenstein posted:

For the Islamic perspective The Crusades Through Arab Eyes was great 20 years ago. I'm not sure if something better has come along since.

I read both of these a few years ago and liked them both. I thought they complemented each other well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

dokmo posted:

Does it include the Roman perspective or is it very Westerner focused?

E: I guess he was a Byzantinist by training so I would hope so :v:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 11, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mantis42 posted:

Rick Perlstein is absolutely credible and the "dicey reputation" was a smear campaign from Republicans mad about the Reagan book.

Gotcha good to know he's solid, I am enjoying the book and learning a lot. Just wanted to check and make sure as the audiobook is 37 hours.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know Dan Carlin isn't super respected in history circles, but I find his podcast entertaining enough. So when I saw a copy of his book for cheap I picked it up. Whoo boy it is rough. His style is entertaining in podcast form but he writes in basically the exact same style and in book form it's real bad. And his shortcomings as a historian stand out way worse.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I know Dan Carlin isn't super respected in history circles, but I find his podcast entertaining enough. So when I saw a copy of his book for cheap I picked it up. Whoo boy it is rough. His style is entertaining in podcast form but he writes in basically the exact same style and in book form it's real bad. And his shortcomings as a historian stand out way worse.

I started borrowing history audiobooks from the library and haven't listened to the "Dude Narrates History" genre of podcasts since.

Highly recommend it. Worth it just for no ads.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

What are some good history audiobooks? Ideally works on the less depressing side.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Haystack posted:

What are some good history audiobooks? Ideally works on the less depressing side.

I just started listening to audiobooks again, and found as before for me they're great with nonfiction but terrible with fiction.

here's what I've listened to recently that I'd recommend:

Alfred Lansing: Endurance - Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage (20220514) - the story of Shackleton's disastrous 1914 attempt to cross Antarctica on "land."

Ben Macintyre: A Spy Among Friends - Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal (20220420) - how Kim Philby managed to evade discovery for ~20 years

Ben Macintyre: Operation Mincemeat (20220516) - how the British used a drifter's body to convince the Germans to remove troops from Sicily in the run up to the invasion

John Sedgewick - From the River to the Sea (20220425) - how Palmer and Strong clashed in the late 19th century and brought the railroad to Los Angeles.

Steven Berlin Johnson: The Ghost Map - The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic (20220422) - how a scientist and a priest worked to figure out the cause of the 1854 Broad Street cholera epidemic, and set the stage for modern public sanitation.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gotcha good to know he's solid, I am enjoying the book and learning a lot. Just wanted to check and make sure as the audiobook is 37 hours.

The whole 4 book series (Before the Storm, Nixonland, Invisible Bridge, Reaganland) is worth your time.

I found Before the Storm in particular really interesting, as I knew almost nothing about Barry Goldwater beforehand.

I just started the first Caro LBJ book, and it is really good so far. I love the depth of the subject matter, 6 hours into the audiobook and LBJ just finished high school :D

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dublish posted:

It's an especially silly claim to make in a book related to the history of the United States of America.

Still a great book though.

true. i have my issues with pearlstein but mostly because he kinda stared into the void and crack pinged a bit though with his books, can't really blame him. but i very much recommend his books.

Haystack posted:

i have one i genuinely like though it kinda leans into true crime.

Scarface and the Untouchable: Al Capone, Eliot Ness, and the Battle for Chicago. its very well written and researched and alot of it goes over the court cases and the personalities of both men.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Quarterroys posted:

The whole 4 book series (Before the Storm, Nixonland, Invisible Bridge, Reaganland) is worth your time.

I found Before the Storm in particular really interesting, as I knew almost nothing about Barry Goldwater beforehand.

I just started the first Caro LBJ book, and it is really good so far. I love the depth of the subject matter, 6 hours into the audiobook and LBJ just finished high school :D

Loved the first three Perlstein books but Reaganland felt like a bit of a letdown, going through the motions sort of stuff. Maybe I've just got nostalgia goggles on for the others though.

The Caro LBJ books are masterpieces. Shame they'll never be finished.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Haystack posted:

I listened to the Philby book Fate Accomplice mentioned and enjoyed it. I think generally, a good book will make a good audiobook and it's rare you'll come across a narrator who ruins things. There's one narrator I've come across who is pretty wooden and emphasizes differently than usual, but it want enough to get me to turn things off.

As for actual recommendations, I enjoyed Paul Strathern's The Medici a lot. The book does use the full name of the characters a lot which might get tiring for you. Strathern's The Borgias was also good.

I've also enjoyed the Tom Holland Rome books in audio form (Rubicon/Dynasty). I guess I go for lighter fare when listening instead of reading.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quarterroys posted:

Oh nice, I’ll have to get the others. I’m learning a ton even small mentions of people trying to blame hippies for everything referenced this guy and I’d never heard of the bizarre murder case before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_R._MacDonald

Yeah the Caro books are masterpieces, definitely gotta pick up The Power Broker when you’re done with those. I like this summary as it explains so much about everyday life like why something was built or why a pointless process sticks around:

quote:

He found that academics' notions of highway planning contrasted with what he had seen as a reporter. "Here were these mathematical formulas about traffic density and population density and so on," he recalled, "and all of a sudden I said to myself: 'This is completely wrong. This isn't why highways get built. Highways get built because Robert Moses wants them built there. If you don't find out and explain to people where Robert Moses gets his power, then everything else you do is going to be dishonest.'"

HannibalBarca posted:

The Caro LBJ books are masterpieces. Shame they'll never be finished.

Yeah :( I think we’ll still get one more if he has a real editor who gently nudges him into accepting a manuscript as finished but not plausible he writes the intended volume on the Vietnam War as he had planned to live in Vietnam’s archives until the pandemic hit and yeah don’t see that happening at his age.

Kinda related to that in the true crime book Mississippi Mud a judge & his wife were murdered and in the background they explain how the judge had done extensive research for a degree on the South Vietnamese legal system and the author noted this was going on late in the war and was an odd topic to pick as it would soon cease to exist and the research would have little applicable value, but him sticking with it was important to understanding his character.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda related to that in the true crime book Mississippi Mud a judge & his wife were murdered and in the background they explain how the judge had done extensive research for a degree on the South Vietnamese legal system and the author noted this was going on late in the war and was an odd topic to pick as it would soon cease to exist and the research would have little applicable value, but him sticking with it was important to understanding his character.

This is a wonderful detail.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any good histories on all or any of the caliphates? Rashidun, Umayyad, Abbasid, Fatimid? I really just want more histories of the Arab and Muslim worlds that aren't like, oriented around the Crusades.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i remember reading the evan Thomas book about Eisenhower (Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World) and how he had to keep le may and Dulles from doing coups everywhere and nuking russia over paranoia about the various gaps that were proven false repeatedly.

For sure, I recently read Khrushchev sized up Eisenhower immediately as a fool taking his orders from Foster Dulles, as he passed Ike notes during their conversations. In The Devil's Chessboard Talbot talks about Ike giving the green light to Allen Dulles for the CIA assassinations they did pull off/being aware of everything they were up to, unlike other presidents Dulles would "serve" under and commit treason against. As a former general Eisenhower highly favored covert operations as easy/cheap alternative to wars, especially with Dulles brothers in his ear.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

knox posted:

For sure, I recently read Khrushchev sized up Eisenhower immediately as a fool taking his orders from Foster Dulles, as he passed Ike notes during their conversations. In The Devil's Chessboard Talbot talks about Ike giving the green light to Allen Dulles for the CIA assassinations they did pull off/being aware of everything they were up to, unlike other presidents Dulles would "serve" under and commit treason against. As a former general Eisenhower highly favored covert operations as easy/cheap alternative to wars, especially with Dulles brothers in his ear.

partly, i kinda think people forget how big a deal Korea was(it wasn't Vietnam unpopular but it became unpopular after china got involved and poo poo escalated and more Americans died) and how Ike didn't want another Korean which is why he did try to deescalate alot of poo poo before it took off. so occasional gross lovely coups done buy loving insane paranoid monsters who only thought in short term were preferable to war plus the book makes it clear that ike mostly held them in check from doing the even more insane poo poo, like bombing the USSR when kruschev would make some bellicose speech or some poo poo. this isnt some defence of the coups and other crimes mind you, gently caress that poo poo. my point was more what the book showed of his thought process and how he would rather try to use soft power and spy craft but dulles and friends would just go lol and smash the coup dial to 11 and ike would kinda just shrug because "gently caress it sure". so yeah ike sucks but he could have been way way worse.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 19, 2022

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any good histories on all or any of the caliphates? Rashidun, Umayyad, Abbasid, Fatimid? I really just want more histories of the Arab and Muslim worlds that aren't like, oriented around the Crusades.

I would also love to hear any good recommendations on this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Today's Google Doodle is Gama Pahalwan, a wrestler known as The Great Gama. He sounds absolutely fascinating, but a cursory search isn't showing me any English-languages biographies of him. Can anybody point me to a source of more information?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looking for some good books about the Triads, preferably stuff about both the original Heaven and Earth Society history and modern day groups. I haven't read anything focused on them that I can remember.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This week I finished Taylor Branch's At Canaan's Edge, the third and final volume of his MLK/Civil Rights movement history. They are far and away my favorite history books ever, not to mention the most moving. If you're even scantly interested in the subject, it is worth at least reading the first book, Parting the Waters.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

They are so unbelievably good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This week I finished Taylor Branch's At Canaan's Edge, the third and final volume of his MLK/Civil Rights movement history. They are far and away my favorite history books ever, not to mention the most moving. If you're even scantly interested in the subject, it is worth at least reading the first book, Parting the Waters.

I just started the first. I really like it! Reminds me of Caro’ LBJ series

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Abassid scholarship is pretty hosed for readable works right now. Shaban gets a lot of eyes but he has a ton of issues, but so do all the others. Ann Lambton was and is a big name but she was a loathsome imperialistic monster, and we should all be glad the rotten bitch is dead. Not unusual in a field where half the authors names represent Victorian lunatic pederasts running around the desert in a kimono.
I liked Crones “Nativist Prophets of Iran” and her casual bigotry is quaint next to Lambton’s crimes. Sourdel is a less morally dubious a read, but mostly he wrote in French and your mostly going to find articles not books.

Stick with Shaban I guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Any recommendations for a history of post-war/Cold War/post-cold war Britain? Someone more ideologically neutral, especially about the Thatcher-era, would be great. Mostly trying to better understand the domestic social/economical/political stuff like nationalising/privatising whole industries, the power and decline of trades unions, and the various iterations of the British welfare state during the period, and how the various political parties fit into that over time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A history book is in of itself ideology

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Any recommendations for a history of post-war/Cold War/post-cold war Britain? Someone more ideologically neutral, especially about the Thatcher-era, would be great. Mostly trying to better understand the domestic social/economical/political stuff like nationalising/privatising whole industries, the power and decline of trades unions, and the various iterations of the British welfare state during the period, and how the various political parties fit into that over time.

I've only read "Never Again" which is the first part of Peter Hennessy's trilogy about post war Britain, but It was enjoyable and quite readable, someday I'll get around to the other two. I think they stop short of the Thatcher era, and I don't have any recommendations for that because its all too depressing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

History books that start each chapter with the author talking about how they went to a place and talked to a person who is vaguely related to the topic of the chapter should have a big warning label on the front so everyone can clearly see that they belong in the garbage.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Gripweed posted:

History books that start each chapter with the author talking about how they went to a place and talked to a person who is vaguely related to the topic of the chapter should have a big warning label on the front so everyone can clearly see that they belong in the garbage.

Is that what Hennessy does? I read it 15 years ago and only really remember enjoying it. :)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yaffle posted:

Is that what Hennessy does? I read it 15 years ago and only really remember enjoying it. :)

I don't know, my post was unrelated to yours

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stairmaster posted:

A history book is in of itself ideology
I realize that of course. When I’m learning about a new period I try to start with whatever ‘just the facts, ma’am’ broad history may exist and then explore more perspectives once I have some basic context. I know the thatcher era was incredibly divisive, and just trying to get more context than ‘she was satan/she was our savior’

yaffle posted:

I've only read "Never Again" which is the first part of Peter Hennessy's trilogy about post war Britain, but It was enjoyable and quite readable, someday I'll get around to the other two. I think they stop short of the Thatcher era, and I don't have any recommendations for that because its all too depressing.
Thanks, I will check those out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm watching AMC's The Terror right now, and I've seen a few YouTube videos on the subject, but can anyone recommend any books? I've got Michael Palin's book on the Erebus right now from the library, any more recommendations? Audiobooks, as always, are a plus.