Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Daniel Walker Howe's portrayal of Andrew Jackson is so unremittingly horrible that I'm darkly curious to learn how earlier writers were able to put a positive spin on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

Daniel Walker Howe's portrayal of Andrew Jackson is so unremittingly horrible that I'm darkly curious to learn how earlier writers were able to put a positive spin on him.

Even during his own time you had a brutal partisan portrayal of him. You can probably blame the positive spin on the redeemers or whatever.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

FPyat posted:

What hath God Wrought (WHGW) is an admirable work but it is not the last word, rather another in a long line of whig rehabilitation historiography. There are plenty of Jackson "defenders" floating around- or at least people that have more positive opinions about Jacksonian democracy, from the conservative liberal constitutionalism of someone like Akhil Amar https://www.c-span.org/video/?304731-4/andrew-jackson-constitution or the controversial talk from David Heller https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/arts/historians-andrew-jackson-trump.html https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=570735920260513 to more leftist leaning works like Charles Sellers (rip) Market Revolution.

Personally, I think what really matters about WHGW is the way that it tackles the questions of capitalism, class and mass democracy in antebellum america. In that sense, it is very much a reaction to the works of Charles Beard (classic progressive historian), Arthur Schlesinger (new deal liberal on the right side of the coalition, court historian for kennedy), and David Walker Howe's old teacher Charles Sellers (left historian, freedom rider and political activist). Note that WHGW came out before the financial crisis and I think a new synthesis would probably reopen a lot of the questions that Howe foreclosed writing in the end of history era and with the temporary triumph of revitalized global capitalism.

Jill Lepore has an essay in the New Yorker that begins to explore some of these debates: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/10/29/vast-designs Most importantly, I think you need to consider WHGW in dialogue with the Market Revolution, which for its flaws, I prefer to WHGW. Seller's work was originally going to be the Jacksonian entry to the Oxford History of the United States but C. Vann Woodward thought it was too Marx-ish.

If you are interested in the historiography of Jackson I recommend Seller's "Andrew Jackson versus the Historians" https://nature.berkeley.edu/~c-merchant/Sellers/articles/11.pdf . It's from 1958, but does a good job up through then, from someone critical but sympathetic to Jackson.

Returning to the 1930s, 1940s, jefferson-jackson democrat ideology would be extremely flawed, but the debate over Jacksonian America is absolutely not over (never will be over), and Howe's own approach leads to some counterintuitive arguments that indicate where his sympathies lie. For example, do you think, as Howe argues, that the civil war would have been avoided if Henry Clay became president? Seems just as utopia as anything Schlesinger ever wrote.

Finally, I would just note that Age of Jackson and the Market Revolution are pretty fun reads, with the obvious caveat that we are already in rarified company if we are talking about reading these sort of books for fun, so for that reason alone you might want to give them a shot. If not, the Age of Jackson podcast, has a series on major historical works during the Jacksonian era covering WHGW, Age of Jackson, Market Revolution and others. I was less impressed intellectually by the Sean Wilentz book (also a target of Walker Howe), but it is well written, and I guess incorporates newer historiography.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/020-charles-sellers-the-market-revolution-1991/id1337546138?i=1000498109599

Lawman 0 posted:

Even during his own time you had a brutal partisan portrayal of him. You can probably blame the positive spin on the redeemers or whatever.

I wouldn't give the redeemers too much credit here, George Bancroft's history of the US is super pro jackson, written pre civil war, so given how the Bancroft prize is the premier history prize in the US...

At any rate, this is maybe a bit confused, but I'm glad the topic came up and I hope that this opens up some avenues of inquiry.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

I haven't read Arthur Schlesinger's Age of Jackson, but I'm reading his Age of Roosevelt currently and it's a really good book series even if really slanted. Sucks that it was never finished.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

sube posted:

I haven't read Arthur Schlesinger's Age of Jackson, but I'm reading his Age of Roosevelt currently and it's a really good book series even if really slanted. Sucks that it was never finished.

:salute: I agree! We are past due to for a new synthesis of that time period, written in such an engaging manner.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

plogo posted:

:salute: I agree! We are past due to for a new synthesis of that time period, written in such an engaging manner.

True though I’m unsure nowadays multi-volume histories of this kind would see funding from academia unless one has certain prominence. I could be wrong though. Just my observation since I don’t remember any new examples beyond Wallerstein, but maybe it‘s just amount of information to digest ks much higher now (Wallerstein's modern world system series always has ~100 pages bibliography)

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
You might be right- but I think these things can have a pretty wide appeal. Something like The Battle Cry of Freedom or the Robert Caro books seem to be typical among non-military history, history books that I run into that non history readers pick up.

I just think that David Kennedy's "Freedom from Fear" (the oxford history entry for the new deal era) is a bit dry and maybe covers too long a period and Ira Katznelson's Fear Itself is thematically organized rather than a comprehensive take on the new deal, as far as new attempts.

A while ago I asked this threads for recommendations for the 1936 election and while there was no response here, David Pietrusza came out with a book on that election last year. It was really informative for me because it goes into all these social movements / events that tend to be glossed over in larger accounts. I would like stuff like that to get worked into major narratives for the period.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Ah I did forget about Caro entirely, though he isn't published by academic presses. I haven't read the Kennedy one yet so I can't judge. Something I want to read more some time are revisionist histories of Hoover's era since on the financial side he laid the groundwork with the foundation of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

FPyat posted:

Don't worry, he comes across even worse in Steve Inskeep's Jacksonland.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
God. That’s an awesome response to receive.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 20, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

A Law Unto Itself: The Untold Story of Sullivan & Cromwell - 100 Years of Creating Power & Wealth

Important history about one of the most powerful law firms that has always operated outside of the law in many ways, from Allen Dulles longest serving CIA director or Ryne Miller head consul of FTX,

link to pdf of full physical page scans since not in publication/exists in JSTOR or expensive Amazon used copies
https://ia803001.us.archive.org/18/...Sullivan%20.pdf

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Anyone have a good recommendation on a comprehensive history of the Roma? It could be specific to region or time period, but I'm more interested in the history prior to 1900.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any good books on the Christian theological controversies of the 4th and 5th centuries?
Ive found Ehrman mostly sticks to theorizing about the first 200 years.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any good books on the Christian theological controversies of the 4th and 5th centuries?
Ive found Ehrman mostly sticks to theorizing about the first 200 years.

Jesus Wars by Philip Jenkins is exactly what you are looking for

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Anyone know of any books in English about the early modern Arabian Penninusla? Somewhere in the ballpark of 1500 to 1800 (although I'm flexible on dates). Specifically about Arabia itself, not the broader Indian Ocean world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CrypticFox posted:

Jesus Wars by Philip Jenkins is exactly what you are looking for
Perfect, thanks! I've been on a major christological kick lately. Fascinating stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's the best single volume history of the Napoleonic wars?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Gripweed posted:

It’s mostly just about the land wars that Napoleon himself commanded, so not much about the Peninsular War or any of the naval stuff, but David G Chandler’s ‘The Campaigns of Napoleon’ is fantastic and the book I really credit with sparking my interest in the period. It’s still the book against which I judge most other history books. It’s beautifully written and engaging, as well as presenting the information clearly and imo completely. I’m not up on the scholarship enough to know if much has changed since it was written, but I think it would still be a great introduction.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I recently read The Napoleonic Wars by Alexander Mikaberidze and found it to be pretty enjoyable. It mostly focuses on the grander geopolitical picture rather than the nitty gritty details of every battle, but I found that preferable since it's easy to get lost in those.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finally digging into the main body of Gotham by Burrows and Wallace, which I received in the Secret Santa from PatMarshall. With Robert Fulton's voyage, technological improvement is becoming an increasingly predominant part of the book, just a continual buzz of change and growth in the city. Can't wait to start encountering more familiar present-day landmarks.

Burrows and Wallace posted:

"Sometimes [well-off men handing out Bibles for the edification of the poor] were laughed at by sailors brandishing books by 'Hume, Gibbon, Paine,' and other infidels."

FPyat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 1, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
1834: Reverend Cox chides his parishioners for their hatred of blacks, pointing out that given Christ's likely skin color, they would reject him as well. Many white people all around New York are furious. "He called our Saviour a WHAT??"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I picked up "Twilight of the Gods" and I'm prepared to have a bad time with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lawman 0 posted:

I picked up "Twilight of the Gods" and I'm prepared to have a bad time with it.

i liked the first book in the trilogy but alot of those books are very slow. happily it wasnt that dry. i am sure someone more knowledgeble will correct me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked the first book in the trilogy but alot of those books are very slow. happily it wasnt that dry. i am sure someone more knowledgeble will correct me.

Just cracked it open and it's like 900 pages. :negative:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so does Ian W. Toll suck or something?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It seems like a fine conventional style history to me so far. :shrug:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
So long and I still came away wishing it were longer. Didn't even have time to mention the USS Samuel B Roberts.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lawman 0 posted:

Just cracked it open and it's like 900 pages. :negative:

I have confidence in you Lawman.0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1653097062823518209?s=20

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really enjoyed A Distant Mirror, which is probably going to have a lot of influence on the RPG I'm designing, and it also got me to finally decide to take a vacation to London and Paris this summer and see some stuff.

Does anybody have any other books to recommend that focus on medieval Europe and the surrounding periods? (Or, I suppose, any sightseeing tips?)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rand Brittain posted:

I really enjoyed A Distant Mirror, which is probably going to have a lot of influence on the RPG I'm designing, and it also got me to finally decide to take a vacation to London and Paris this summer and see some stuff.

Does anybody have any other books to recommend that focus on medieval Europe and the surrounding periods? (Or, I suppose, any sightseeing tips?)

Norman Cantor’s ‘The Civilization of the Middle Ages’ is good and neat and well written and similarly made me think about RPG’s (which may or may not be a great endorsement of a history book)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rand Brittain posted:

From that description you might be interested in Mortimer's The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England. It's pop-history-ish and the conceit is a bit twee, but the history is solid enough. The main caveat I'd offer is to mind the limitations of what's presented—it's not really a guide to mediaeval England in general, but rather specific regions of England in the late mediaeval period, and is somewhat skewed toward the lifestyles of the comparatively well-off.

If you're looking for source material for game design but don't want to slog through, say, the seven volumes of the Cambridge mediaeval history series, you could do worse.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mortimer has written several sequel's covering later periods. All pretty good. I'd especially recommend the Restoration period one. Which I found especially interesting, so many later institutions and ideas get their first tentative steps then.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
And that's the story of how I found myself navigating a VPN to buy a four-volume set of history books from another country. Thanks for the recommendations!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1653514266266279936?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is probably more appropriate for this thread than the book club thread, so I'll post this here:

Back when I was working on (what I didn't realize at the time was an abandoned first version of) my doctoral dissertation, I got to go through far-right British politician Enoch Powell's personal papers at Cambridge. I was very surprised to find he had a correspondence with Mary Renault. My memory is that it was mainly about some aspect of her depiction of Alexander the Great in her later novels.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

This is probably more appropriate for this thread than the book club thread, so I'll post this here:

Back when I was working on (what I didn't realize at the time was an abandoned first version of) my doctoral dissertation, I got to go through far-right British politician Enoch Powell's personal papers at Cambridge. I was very surprised to find he had a correspondence with Mary Renault. My memory is that it was mainly about some aspect of her depiction of Alexander the Great in her later novels.

Interesting. I was about to ask if Powell had some crank theory about the "racial characteristics" of Macedonians, but then I remembered that he did actually have a reputable academic background as a classicist; he might actually have had something relevant to say about Alexander.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

And that's the story of how I found myself navigating a VPN to buy a four-volume set of history books from another country. Thanks for the recommendations!

If you are interesting in the late roman empire / early middle ages I would check out Chris Wickham's works such as The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages 400-1000.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Major co-sign everything Renault ever wrote, thanks to you and this forum for actually getting me into her if I remember right (and then I promptly read every novel of hers and mourned the fact she'd never write more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Any recommends on the history of Australia? Something from Botany Bay to its federation, I suppose?