Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«87 »
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jozy loves scoring like a fat kid loves eating cake.

College Slice

Three of the last four tsars of the Russian Empire were either complete idiots or so conservative that they sabotaged their own state rather than share any power with the people or both, and the end result of all that was three lost wars, three revolutions, a civil war that left millions dead and set the country back a decade economically, and then the Soviet Union which to be frank even leftists should have very little desire to emulate given what we as historians know about its failures and collateral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Really, whenever someone posts "monarchy is a good thing" just quote the entirety of their post and write "lol".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Tell them to read Common Sense. Thomas Paine does a pretty good job obliterating the idea of heredity monarchy.

Thomas Paine: All Men Are Created Equal, therefore...

21st century chuds: whoa whoa whoa slow down

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Nap Ghost

It's wasn't chuds or just one user which makes me suspect I might also want to brush up on that argument before I need it. 2020 folks!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Nap Ghost

Minenfeld! posted:

Really, whenever someone posts "monarchy is a good thing" just quote the entirety of their post and write "lol".

2016 impressed on me that sometimes this is not sufficient. Besides, it's good to remember things we can celebrate as progress between 1200 and present day.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So, any suggestions on the French Revolution? Asking for a friend

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

Simon Schama's "Citizens".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Glumslinger posted:

I took this project on a while ago and thought that FranÁois Furet and Georges Lefebvre offered the most balanced views

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Biography question: Has anyone read George Marshall: Defender of the Republic?

I've read General of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman (Cray), which Amazon says was published in 2000 but that may be the reprint publishing date. Just wondering if the newer Marshall bio has anything to add or meaningfully updates the scholarship on him or his era.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Aloy, Despite the Nora

The Glumslinger posted:

Good question. Thereís a brand new book out called A New Word Begins: The History of the French Revolution by Jeremy Popkin. I think itís the new definitive non academic account of the Revolution.

https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Be...n/dp/0465096662

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It was a solid read and he specifically incorporated the Haitian revolution and women's perspectives into the book.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

We Want The Cup.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good question. Thereís a brand new book out called A New Word Begins: The History of the French Revolution by Jeremy Popkin. I think itís the new definitive non academic account of the Revolution.

https://www.amazon.com/New-World-Be...n/dp/0465096662

Reading this now and it's quite good. Previously, I did greatly enjoy Schama's work because a) guy can write and b) he really gives a good "on the ground" flavor in his description of things, a feel for what life and society were like that most historians fail to provide or provide badly. But you have to go into it aware that Schama thought the Revolution was a mistake, a bad thing, that violence is never allowed as a means of effecting change... he's a pretty strong apologist for the nobility as well.

It's a good book, possibly the best-written in English about the topic, but it really shouldn't be the only book one reads about it. A New World Begins is well-written, but not nearly as artful as Citizens, but if you're only going to read one book on the topic, choose that over Citizens. If you're open to more than one, read A New World Begins first for a solid grounding, then Citizens for a great read that comes at the topic from very specific ideological direction.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

It's probably worth noting as deeper background on Schama that as a young historian he studied the interaction of the French republic with the Dutch republican tradition, from the Dutch perspective, and that's a large part of why he's carried an antipathy towards the French revolutionary tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Can anyone recommend a book on the crusader states? I'm aiming to get a grasp on how they functioned as societies, what life was like, etc.

«87 »