Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking for something that describes on the day to day life and operations aboard a modern Navy ship. It's okay if it's not 100% about the crew but I'd like it to be as focused as possible on them.
Well it's not a book and it's not a ship, but just a shout out to Smarter Every Days current series on a US Fast Attack Sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good book or two on Imperial Japan? I'm reading Shattered Sword right now and its making me realize that I know virtually nothing about how the Pacific war came about and Imperial Japan in general.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Eri Hotta's Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy specifically covers the runup to war and captures in all the gory detail exactly how much of a dysfunctional shitshow the Imperial government was by that point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Eri Hotta's Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy specifically covers the runup to war and captures in all the gory detail exactly how much of a dysfunctional shitshow the Imperial government was by that point.

seconding this. its can be dry at times but its facinating how basically all of the various leaders bullshitted at each other as to either not get couped by radical younger chuddyer officers and because they all wanted to look good/brave etc to each other even though most of them even the hardline assholes kinda knew it was a dumb move.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

give me a book about the occupation of Japan or Germany.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PawParole posted:

Embracing Defeat for Japan.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Right-o, what's a good overview book on the Gulf War? I realized tonight that I hadn't really heard of it, and I don't know where to start (aside from the wiki page.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PawParole posted:

Year Zero: A History of 1945 by Ian Buruma

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Naimark’s The Russians in Germany is a really good book about the Soviet occupation.

ladd
Aug 14, 2004
I really enjoyed playing red dead redemption 2, and with the recent news of a Chud being killed by a Pinkerton, could any one recommend any books that covers the Pinkerton Detective Agency?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ladd posted:

I really enjoyed playing red dead redemption 2, and with the recent news of a Chud being killed by a Pinkerton, could any one recommend any books that covers the Pinkerton Detective Agency?

O'Hara, Inventing The Pinkertons. If you're looking for echoes of current events in the Pinkertons' past, you'll find plenty.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020
I'd like a book that explains the gist what we currently know about prehistory. Something similar to Leakey's The Origin of Humankind, only up to date.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Global Disorder posted:

I'd like a book that explains the gist what we currently know about prehistory. Something similar to Leakey's The Origin of Humankind, only up to date.

Check out the most recent (Q&A) episode of the Tides of History podcast; he’s currently doing prehistory and talks about his reading list towards the end of that ep, I think. This entire series is worth a listen if you’re into the subject and don’t mind the podcast format.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this thread is very dangerous for my "please read this some da-haha you know this is wishful thinking but sure, write it down" list

more entries for my 906-row backlog-spreadsheet. the beast must be fed

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this thread is very dangerous for my "please read this some da-haha you know this is wishful thinking but sure, write it down" list

For every book I finish, the list expands by 3-5 more

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
because of the current political climate. whats a good book on hitlers last days?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because of the current political climate. whats a good book on hitlers last days?

If you’re getting hopeful just watch Downfall.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I thought The End by Ian Kershaw was pretty good. It's the last ~4 months of Nazi Germany, so a bit broader than just Hitler in the bunker.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Anyone have any recommendations on a good general history of the Teutonic Knights and the Northern Crusades?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm going to be a bit selfless and promote my own work here - the embargo on my doctoral dissertation ended today, so while it's not a book per se, if anyone's interested in what amounts to a free ebook on settler colonialism, political appropriation of history, the use of legends, and how colonial ideologies ties into modern US politics, enjoy!

https://opencommons.uconn.edu/dissertations/2342/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Send that to Seven Hundred Bees, our next D&D book blind round robin is on that exact topic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Send that to Seven Hundred Bees, our next D&D book blind round robin is on that exact topic.

Is there some thread for that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's this but probably a fresh thread when it happens.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm going to be a bit selfless and promote my own work here - the embargo on my doctoral dissertation ended today, so while it's not a book per se, if anyone's interested in what amounts to a free ebook on settler colonialism, political appropriation of history, the use of legends, and how colonial ideologies ties into modern US politics, enjoy!

https://opencommons.uconn.edu/dissertations/2342/

Well congrats, and good luck with your job search!

I'm curious, did your graduate coursework touch upon the use of the counterfactual? What literature did you use if that is the case?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Boatswain posted:

Well congrats, and good luck with your job search!

I'm curious, did your graduate coursework touch upon the use of the counterfactual? What literature did you use if that is the case?

Thank you! Although job search... haha. This is actually the third year I'm on the job market, and the second post-PhD. Last year was worse than the year before. This year is apocalyptic. I'm lucky to have five adjuncting spots now. It looks like that's going to go down to two in the spring, unless something comes out of the blue. But honestly, the likelihood of getting a tenure track position, or even a fellowship, is essentially zero.

I'm trying to think about the times that counterfactuals came up in graduate classes. The closest I can think of is the book "Britain and 1940: History, Myth and Popular Memory" by Malcolm Smith, whose first chapter is on how people in interwar Britain imagined what a second World War would be like. In that class, we also briefly talked about how impossible it is to seriously address the typical questions like "what if the Germans invaded Britain in 1940?"

We also watched the mockumentary CSA in a class on depictions of slavery in film (a class which was actually taught by an historian who's also a speculative fiction author, P. Djčlí Clark).

Although I was done with coursework by the time it came out, I did read Catherine Gallagher's "Telling It Like It Wasn’t: The Counterfactual Imagination in History and Fiction" and would recommend it!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Thank you! Although job search... haha. This is actually the third year I'm on the job market, and the second post-PhD. Last year was worse than the year before. This year is apocalyptic. I'm lucky to have five adjuncting spots now. It looks like that's going to go down to two in the spring, unless something comes out of the blue. But honestly, the likelihood of getting a tenure track position, or even a fellowship, is essentially zero.

I'm trying to think about the times that counterfactuals came up in graduate classes. The closest I can think of is the book "Britain and 1940: History, Myth and Popular Memory" by Malcolm Smith, whose first chapter is on how people in interwar Britain imagined what a second World War would be like. In that class, we also briefly talked about how impossible it is to seriously address the typical questions like "what if the Germans invaded Britain in 1940?"

We also watched the mockumentary CSA in a class on depictions of slavery in film (a class which was actually taught by an historian who's also a speculative fiction author, P. Djčlí Clark).

Although I was done with coursework by the time it came out, I did read Catherine Gallagher's "Telling It Like It Wasn’t: The Counterfactual Imagination in History and Fiction" and would recommend it!

Yeah, the academic market was hosed before covid, hard to imagine what current phd students are feeling right now. Good luck anyways :saddowns:

I was thinking of more mundane counterfactual thinking — don't counterfactuals underpin everything we can say about the past? In the sense that we can't say that the effects of X or Y was this or that unless we imagine what would've happened if X or Y didn't occur. Anyway thanks for the rec, the Gallagher book looks interesting.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ullrich's part 2 of his Hitler biography came out a few months back:
https://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Downfall-1939-1945-Volker-Ullrich/dp/1101874007
I just finished it, it is quite good

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Massie's Dreadnought, which I'm pretty sure I heard about in this thread. It was great, I really like his narrative style. I've got Castles of Steel on hold at the library now so I can continue the great war thing. Thanks for another good recommendation, thread

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

clean ayers act posted:

Ullrich's part 2 of his Hitler biography came out a few months back:
https://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Downfall-1939-1945-Volker-Ullrich/dp/1101874007
I just finished it, it is quite good

they will literally just keep writing hitler biographs wont they

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2020

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

they will literally just keep writing hitler memoirs wont they

Nah, the first was a best seller and everyone else backed off

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

clean ayers act posted:

Nah, the first was a best seller and everyone else backed off

I think we can all agree that William Shiriers book was an admirable attempt! Or are you talking about that Knausgaard book?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

I think we can all agree that William Shiriers book was an admirable attempt! Or are you talking about that Knausgaard book?

I was making a [bad] joke about a memoir being written by the subject himself

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

clean ayers act posted:

I was making a [bad] joke about a memoir being written by the subject himself

I got it. i was trying to build off it lol

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

I got it. i was trying to build off it lol

blah, sorry. long week

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I should make an effort post soon about my latest reading endeavors but for now I will simply add that Robin Lane Fox’s biography of Alexander the Great was very enjoyable.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BigglesSWE posted:

I should make an effort post soon about my latest reading endeavors but for now I will simply add that Robin Lane Fox’s biography of Alexander the Great was very enjoyable.

He appears as an extra in Oliver Stone's Alexander movie!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Wasn't he the main character?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Ague Proof posted:

Wasn't he the main character?

Robin Lane Fox plays one of the companion cav, in exchange for letting stone use and abuse him as a historical consultant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Vasukhani posted:

Robin Lane Fox plays one of the companion cav, in exchange for letting stone use and abuse him as a historical consultant

If I remember correctly, that movie was pretty bad but surprisingly accurate to history in a lot of ways?