Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
To accompany me watching The Queen's Gambit, I'm looking for books that give accounts of the lives of chess masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

This sounds silly, but agadmator on youtube is great for chess history. I also have Bobby Fischer's 60 Games and Mikhail Tal's Life and Games, and they are great, but you need a board in front of you to follow along.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
For anyone in this thread who wants to join, the 2020 TBB Secret Santa is now open. Educate some strangers!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
[edit] lol alongside my books, I had an envelope in the pic, i didn't notice, with my zip code on it so i had to edit this post
Anyway, it's Aimov's Chronology of the World, and Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery [edit]

Here are two desktop references I own, that I was very excited for. 600+ pages each of knowledge written by Asimov, who's style I enjoy.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 23, 2020

Frog Father
Apr 9, 2020
I am currently reading T. Harry Williams Huey Long at the moment, and enjoying it greatly. My favorite part thus far was mentioning a young Huey watching a populist orator whos favorite tactic was to start every speech by attacking the richest man in whatever town he happened to be in at the time.

I am interested in Caligula. Can anyone recommend any good books about him, and/or about broader Roman history but that cover him in some depth?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd recommend first reading the OG source in Suetonius: https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/Suetonius4.php Bonus is it's free.

Then Caligula by Aloys Winterling, which I will preface with I haven't read it, but from what I've read about it it does a good job of talking about him in context instead of just "lol madman!" poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Any fairly comprehensive but also approachable Chinese history? I don't really want to dive deeply into a specific event or period, just looking for something a bit more general and, well, centuries-spanning.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Drone posted:

Any fairly comprehensive but also approachable Chinese history? I don't really want to dive deeply into a specific event or period, just looking for something a bit more general and, well, centuries-spanning.

John Keay's book would satisfy your requirements.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Any good books on the history of Japan? Specifically, I don't know anything about the Sengoku period

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Best books on the Seven Years’ War as a global conflict?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Looking up Procopius and wikipedia has this:

Procopius, The Secret History, translated by G. A. Williamson. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1966. A readable and accessible English translation of the Anecdota. Recently re-issued by Penguin (2007) with an updated and livelier translation by Peter Sarris, who has also provided a new commentary and notes.

Prokopios, The Secret History, translated by Anthony Kaldellis. Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing, 2010. This edition includes related texts, an introductory essay, notes, maps, a timeline, a guide to the main sources from the period and a guide to scholarship in English. The translator uses blunt and precise English prose in order to adhere to the style of the original text.

Which one is the better?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Drone posted:

https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691155876/mountain-of-fame

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Looking up Procopius and wikipedia has this:

Procopius, The Secret History, translated by G. A. Williamson. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1966. A readable and accessible English translation of the Anecdota. Recently re-issued by Penguin (2007) with an updated and livelier translation by Peter Sarris, who has also provided a new commentary and notes.

Prokopios, The Secret History, translated by Anthony Kaldellis. Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing, 2010. This edition includes related texts, an introductory essay, notes, maps, a timeline, a guide to the main sources from the period and a guide to scholarship in English. The translator uses blunt and precise English prose in order to adhere to the style of the original text.

Which one is the better?

I haven't read either, but I have read Kaldellis' other books and enjoyed them, so going in blind I'd pick that one.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Drone posted:

Johnathan Spence's The Search for Modern China

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Kangxi posted:

Johnathan Spence's The Search for Modern China

cosign, although make sure you're getting the newest edition. the audible version I listened to earlier this year stopped around tiananmen.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Drone posted:

For ancient China i like Major & Cook - Ancient China. It spans plenty of centuries, starting in the Neolithic up to the end of the Three Kingdoms (roughly 300 AD), so plenty of centuries at least.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The narrator for Rick Perlstein’s Before the Storm is super good. Does a killer Reagan and Nixon in particular.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Any recommendations about Northern Irish history and the Troubles? Also interested in the Easter Uprising.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Any recommendations about Northern Irish history and the Troubles? Also interested in the Easter Uprising.

seconding this request. I've been trying to work through

Armed Struggle: The History of the IRA By: Richard English
and
Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland By: Patrick Radden Keefe

but I would like further recommendations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HannibalBarca posted:

cosign, although make sure you're getting the newest edition. the audible version I listened to earlier this year stopped around tiananmen.

Yeah do search out the newer edition. The first one is great but it ends with Tiananmen and the author positing that this could be the start of a democratic awakening in China as seen in the revolutions occurring in Eastern Europe at the time and well, whoops on that one.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

waiting for krampus and the old dark christmas to arrive

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29363337-the-krampus-and-the-old-dark-christmas

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Has anybody read Say Nothing or any other recent-ish history of The Troubles they can recommend? The more comprehensive the better tbh

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Has anybody read Say Nothing or any other recent-ish history of The Troubles they can recommend? The more comprehensive the better tbh

Has enough time passed that there is non biased literature? A recent Reddit question on the same topic lead me to believe you can pick which side of the story you want to read, but not both.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Say Nothing was excellent. I'm currently reading Armed Struggle by Richard English, which is also really highly regarded

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Ropes4u posted:

Has enough time passed that there is non biased literature? A recent Reddit question on the same topic lead me to believe you can pick which side of the story you want to read, but not both.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a history of the UVF

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thanks, I'll start with those

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a history of the UVF

UVF – Behind the Mask by Aaron Edwards might suit your needs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ropes4u posted:

Say nothing is sorta unbiased where it paints everyone as kinda horrible and how Gerry Addams is kinda of a hosed up Machiavellian monster who probably did the right thing and the remaining old guard on either side are broken shells of men and women who did terrible poo poo and have trouble justifying their actions because Good friday accords ended the fighting.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Say nothing is sorta unbiased where it paints everyone as kinda horrible and how Gerry Addams is kinda of a hosed up Machiavellian monster who probably did the right thing and the remaining old guard on either side are broken shells of men and women who did terrible poo poo and have trouble justifying their actions because Good friday accords ended the fighting.

This was my take on Say Nothing as well; it didn't have a particular bias beyond a general sense of "what a loving waste", which some might see as inherently anti-IRA but...

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
What's the best account of the 1936 campaign?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Any pointers for good books about the mongol invasions of Europe and the Middle East?

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Any pointers for good books about the mongol invasions of Europe and the Middle East?

I want you to know I read that as Middle Earth, and now I really want a book about the Mongol invasion of Middle Earth

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Anfauglir posted:

I want you to know I read that as Middle Earth, and now I really want a book about the Mongol invasion of Middle Earth

You’ll have to wait forever then, because the Blue Wizards stopped the East from interfering with the War of the Ring.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Are there any good biographies of Mansa Musa?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Strange Cares posted:

Are there any good biographies of Mansa Musa?

I haven't come across any monograph on Mansa Musa and I suspect there may not be any just because not enough specifically about him may not exist (for example, a cursory Google seems to show books with him in the title as also including histories of Timbuktu), but I can suggest a few works on general Muslim West Africa of his life if that would fit the bill.

I know there are a few articles that have been written on the economic effect of his fabled pilgrimage and whether he actually did cause a depression in the Mediterranean or not.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to double-post, but does anyone have any suggestions for a book on Guatemalan history that would appeal to a general audience?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

smr posted:

This was my take on Say Nothing as well; it didn't have a particular bias beyond a general sense of "what a loving waste", which some might see as inherently anti-IRA but...

yeah and i think the book does paint alot of the individuals who were part of the IRA as justified as to why the joined the fight, it just also points out that those types of conflicts always get super hosed up and messy and depressing and no one comes out a whole person again especially when you have that amount of death and poo poo. it hosed them even harder because none of them got their "happy ending" that they pictured where it would all be worth it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whats a good book on the history of LGBTQ+ rights/marriage in the US? its a subject id like to learn more about.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats a good book on the history of LGBTQ+ rights/marriage in the US? its a subject id like to learn more about.

I appreciated The Gay Revolution: The Story of the Struggle by Lillian Faderman. The big caveat is that it was published right around the time of Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 and so is slightly out of date. Still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Would anyone be able to recommend some solid reads on Russian history? I'm trying to expand my bookshelf. I'm good with academic reads or lay. There've been some good suggestions in this thread before.