Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I enjoyed People's Tragedy when I read it, but Figes really is such a catastrophic fuckup that it overshadows everything positive about his work.

I thought Mark Steinberg's Oxford Histories entry was a good general replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Foote's weird. He's definitely writing with one hand when it comes to the Confederacy, but A) he's pretty good at creating a fluent historical narrative and B) his books dominated the field of study for a good couple of decades, so he's an important read for the historiography of the Civil War.

That said, if you're just looking for material on the war itself, pitch Foote into the trash and pick up McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. It does everything Foote's books do better, in a single volume, and without the abiding love of slavers.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Any general recommendations about the Russo-Japanese War? I realized most of what I know about it comes from histories of the 1905 Revolution and felt real dumb for a bit there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Global Disorder posted:

I can't help you with the military side, but Japanese historian Masayoshi Matsumura has two books about Japan's public diplomacy during the conflict: Baron Suematsu in Europe During the Russo-Japanese War and Baron Kaneko and the Russo-Japanese War. Very readable histories of two Meiji leaders attempting to convince Americans and British that Japan represented the West in a war against Asian barbarism. And their troubles dealing with the yellow peril idea that was spread around the time.

Nah, that's great. If you've got any recommendations for social histories of Japan and Korea around that time, that'd be even better.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You must be a virgin, because you just found Suny's The Soviet Experiment.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Hello, I'm looking for an overview of the French revolution. I don't care about readability, I just want the best

I'd say the choice is between A New World Begins or Peter McPhee's Liberty or Death. Popkin does a better job covering Haiti, McPhee wants to show you his Jacobin trading card set.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Did Figes ever recover from exploding his divorce out in public and the review sockpuppet thing? I liked People's Tragedy and it'd be nice to be able to recommend it to folks again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Any recommendations for a history of currency that isn't by goldbugs or crypto bros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations, y'all. I'm always down for recommendations that are related but not necessarily dead on, and it's one of the reasons I like asking for recs in this thread.