Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

grvm posted:

Hey, thanks for this response. Basically the only thing I knew about Ukrainian culture growing up was that we hated the Russians, so I'm not exactly going in unbiased (unfortunately.) Maybe you could point me towards some more broad books about the history and culture of Ukraine? I'm interested in the Holodomors but really I just want to learn more about Ukraine on the whole. I literally know nothing, so maybe it's better I start from a broader view before jumping into a heavily debated scholarly topic like the holodomor.

Borderland by Anna Reid is a pretty good overview of Ukrainian history. It doesn't cover the most recent decade, but it's still good. I read it when I lived in Kiev for two months. Holy poo poo, that was depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good overview of the history of Texas? I'm reading Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans by T.R. Fehrenbach, but I didn't realize when I bought it that it was such an old book (1968). It's got a seething current of racism to it that makes me uncomfortable. He spends a lot of time talking about how the Comanche and Karankawa were ruthless savages, the Anglo-Celts were the only race that could hope to tame Texas, refers to all black people as Negroes and asserts that slaves in Texas lived a better material life than poor whites, and says that the Confederate states managing to keep the Civil War going despite being an entirely agricultural economy should be a point of pride for all Americans.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Any good books about the process of Denazification in Germany post-WWII? I'm really interested in how the country and its people, as a whole, came to terms with aiding and abetting the Nazis and how their children responded.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Any recommendations on a good overall history of the Byzantine Empire or an overview of Byzantine culture that's available in Kindle format?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

I know this is a broad topic but can anyone recommend any books on the Vietnam War?

Fire on the Lake by Frances FitzGerald won a Pulitzer and is all about the American experience in Vietnam.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Does anyone have a good for an overview of Prussian culture and history? I read about the Junker system and the university dueling clubs and found it very interesting.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Are there any decent single-volume histories of the Vietnam War that aren't very militarily nitty-gritty? I struggled with Keegan's history of WWI because it got very into military strategy, and I'm more interested in social experiences. Is Fire in the Lake still the classic, or is there a better and more current book out there?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Rommel1896 posted:

I've read lots of stuff about the ancient Roman and Greek civilizations, but I know almost nothing about ancient Egypt. I'm particularly interested in the period from the Neolithic Era until Alexander's conquest. Obviously lots of books have been written about it, but if I could read say one or two that provide a general overview that would be great.

In an unrelated question, the British navy dominated the world for centuries, and I don't really understand why. Like, in the Napoleonic Era the French built ships using the same technology and fought using similar tactics. They had lots of money and resources, yet the Royal Navy crushed them and everyone else with seeming ease. Can anyone recommend any books that would explain why they were so peerless? (That second question might be too broad to answer, but I'm hoping for some insight, particularly why Nelson was so great).

Barbara Mertz, a trained Egyptologist who also wrote mysteries set in Egypt, has two great and accessible books. Red Land, Black Land covers daily life in ancient Egypt, while Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs covers the history. Highly recommend both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Currently reading Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson, and I'm starting to realize I may have bit off more than I can chew in terms of Thirty Years' War history books. I normally read things that are more social history, and this is granular to the point of confusion. I'm about a third of the way in and I still don't understand how the Holy Roman Empire's system of governance works. Any recs for something a bit more focused or easier to read?