Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Hey I don't know if I'm better off asking in D&D but does anyone know of a good book about the black panthers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson is a good book about a black panther. It's an engrossing read and a powerful statement of radical black Marxism and a look at the dehumanizing aspects of prison. It's useful for understanding a militant black mindset.

It is not a good look at the organizational structure of the Black Panther Party or its origins though, nor does it include much about Bobby Seale or Huey Newton, who were obviously considerably more instrumental to the BPs. Look up George Jackson to get an idea if you would be interested in reading more about him.

That definitely sounds very interesting and I'm gonna put it on my to-read list, but yeah I'm still looking for something that goes into more detail about the party itself.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

dokmo posted:

There are a couple of recent, well-regarded general histories of BPP (I haven't read either).

Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party by Joshua Bloom (Goodreads Author), Waldo E. Martin Jr. (here's a q&a with the authors)

Survival Pending Revolution: The History of the Black Panther Party by Paul Alkebulan, a bottom-up history focusing on the party's grass roots activism (review here).

Thanks! After some research that first one looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Any good books on the ottoman invasions into the Balkans? Open to broader histories of the Ottoman Empire if they cover that in detail.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I am going to Berlin in March for the first time as an adult. What’s a good book to read about the wall/postwar Berlin?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

xcheopis posted:

A friend knows a young man from Haiti who wants to join the CIA. Are there any good books that might help dissuade him from this path? History of the CIA in South America or the Caribbean or....?

In addition to Meatwad's recs, The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins, while not specifically about the Americas, is also a great book that goes into detail about CIA involvement in the Indonesian genocide. It does connect that campaign to events in Latin America but the meat of the book is about Indonesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Any good books on the Dutch East India company? Specifically interested in the inner workings of the company and decision making.