Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What are some good books on the history of the Inuit People and/or other Arctic-dwelling groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Any good books that cover the history of navigation at sea? I'm specifically thinking of either the Polynesians navigating the Pacific and/or the Europeans crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What are some good books about the Congo Wars?

Edit: And on a different note, I'd also be interested in a book about the history of Bollywood and Indian Cinema in general.

bowser fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 28, 2020

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I recently finished The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West by David McCullough and I was extremely disappointed. It really should have been titled "The Early History of Marietta, Ohio as told by the diary entries of 3 white dudes". Are there any good books on early American pioneers with a larger scope and more sources?

Also I asked earlier but didn't get any responses, any good books on the history of the Indian film industry?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Finally finished The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot, although of course with such a huge scope no topic is explored too deeply. My only major complaint was that the last few chapters focused almost entirely on the War on Terror and ignored the recent history of the Silk Road countries other than Afghanistan and Iraq.

Now I'm getting started on Dancing in the Glory of Monsters and I'm ready to get inundated by the acronyms of various warring factions.

Preparing for my next read, I'm wondering if there's anything in the vein of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for Brazil, Australia, or other nations. Just an overview of the different indigenous groups of these areas, their genocide, and their resistance.

bowser fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 16, 2020

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

On the topic of Commies :ussr: I'm looking for a book on Soviet environmental policy. Specifically I'd like to learn about the Aral Sea. What went wrong and how it impacted people and nature.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What are some good books on the peopling of [various regions of] the world? I realize early Homo sapien migration would fall into pre-history but I'm hoping you folks can help!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for good books about the history of Motown. Also maybe a history of the music of Detroit in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm looking for a book on the historical development of anti-communism and the Red Scare.