Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Speaking of, does anyone know a good book on Alexander the Great? I briefly looked for one on Amazon but couldn't find anything that looked good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Puukko naamassa posted:

Currently reading The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Toland.

It was recommended by somebody on these forums (probably in the military history thread over at A/T), and while it's not the freshest book on the subject, having been published already in 1970, it's still very interesting and comprehensive.

What is the focus of this book? Is it a history of the military campaigns of the Japanese, or does it deal more with the social aspects of the war and how the Japanese people dealt with and were affected by the war? I'm hoping it's the latter, because that's always much more interesting to me.

e: no other thread on this forums puts as many books on my wish list than this one. Which would be much more awesome if I had any money. :negative:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

baw posted:

Read some Mario Vargas Llosa, especially The Feast of the Goat and War of the End of the World (and be prepared for people to ask you if you're reading World War Z because they kinda look similar.) If you're into art in any capacity and are interested in Paul Gauguin and his lesser-known-but-still-famous grandmother, Flora Tristan, read The Way to Paradise. I've been wanting to make a MVL megathread but I'm not sure how interested people would be and tbqh I haven't thought much beyond the title, which would be "The Way to the End of the Goat: Mario Vargas Llosa Megathread!"

He wrote The Perpetual Orgy, which is a pretty great essay on Madame Bovary. I wouldn't understand that book anywhere near as much without Llosa's book.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone have some good recommendations for Russian history pre-20th century? I'm especially interested in Ivan the Terrible and his formation of the Tsardom of Russia, but I haven't been able to find a decent looking book on him. I already have Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert K. Massie (which is pretty great), and I know of his other books on Russian history.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone know a good book or two on the history of US atomic bomb testing? Not so much the Manhatten Project, but all the testing that came after Trinity.

As a side note, isn't this the craziest goddamn thing: