Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I really dug Pete Brown's Shakespeare's Pub, which is a history of Southwark in London as seen through the eyes of it's oldest pub. It was a fun and snappy microhistory of a specific place and the forces that shaped it. Does anyone know of similarly focused books that are on the less dry side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm looking for a good biography of Casanove and a good micro history about tea. Does anyone have reccomendations?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

What are some good books about the history of the various East India Companies?

I don't know a ton of them but The Taste of Conquest by Micheal Krondi is quite good, and I've been meaning to check out The Honourable Company by John Keat

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, weird request but I need something uplifting as I trudge through King Leopold's Ghost: are there any uplifting nonfiction books? I understand human history is a long train of people screwing each other over but surely there must be something cool to read about besides the space race.

Shakespeares Pub - Pete Brown - micro history of the George Inn in Southwark. The first chapter is a bit self indulgent but it's a really interesting and cozy history book
The Great Wave - history of Japan and US encoutnering and bieng influenced by each other - see how the gilded age meets old japan through biographies of eccentrics from both sides of the ocean

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Can anyone recommend books about the papal interregnum between 1500-1700? The only book I can find is The Vacant See by John Hunt and it's like $200 and not available at any of my local libraries. I really want to read about crazy between-pope crimes!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

gonna need some clarification here bc the longest papal interregnum was only like three years and it was in the 13th century. there definitely was not a 200 year papal interregnum

I mean the various papal interregnums that occurred in roughly that period. Sort of a book on the various interregnums and the things that happened therein, and the sorts of things that they meant for Italy more broadly, the politics around them etc.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Strange Cares posted:

I mean the various papal interregnums that occurred in roughly that period. Sort of a book on the various interregnums and the things that happened therein, and the sorts of things that they meant for Italy more broadly, the politics around them etc.

Seems like I’m just getting crickets on this, so I’ll broaden- can anyone recommend a history of the papacy from 1500-1700?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Global Disorder posted:

I didn't read it, but I've heard good things about John Hunt's The Vacant See in Early Modern Rome: A Social History of the Papal Interregnum. May or may not be your thing, as it focuses on how the people of Rome reacted to the pope's death. Here's a review: https://networks.h-net.org/node/7651/reviews/168244/michelson-hunt-vacant-see-early-modern-rome-social-history-papal

Haha that’s actually the book that led me here. I’d love to read it, but the only copy I can find is $200, and my local library doesn’t have it, so I’m looking for alternatives

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it’s on libgen

What is libgen? I’m afraid I’m unfamiliar

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Oh, yeah. I’d prefer to get my books from a legal source. I appreciate you trying to help though, Chernobyl :)

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

The_Other posted:

Did you try asking the reference desk if they can get it on inter-library loan? They might be able to get a copy from an academic library.

I’ll try that! I kind of gave up after it wasn’t in the general library system. Thanks!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

What's a good book about the Enlightenment in Europe?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

stealie72 posted:

Not one written by Pick?

I don't know what that means, but sure. I can clarify more on what I'm looking for - written for someone who doesn't have a ton of grounding in the subject beyond what you learn in school, preferably with a focus on various enlightenment figures and their personalities.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

stealie72 posted:

I was jokingly referring to this a couple posts above:
Oh, I didn't realize that was refering to a specific author.

spb posted:

I want to read this one when I have time

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1590176197

I'll put it on the list, thank you!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Chairman Capone posted:

If you're still looking, I just came across a pretty comprehensive Enlightenment reading list:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/students/modules/hi153/timetable/wk2/

I'm always happy to get more recommendations for a topic! Thanks very much

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm stressed and looking for more history books to put on my to-read list and so I'm googling "best history books all time" and stuff like that and google wants to make fun of me

https://bookauthority.org/books/best-history-books

:thunk:

Never trust a google search for history recommendations, it's a lesson I've learned the hard way so many times. Honestly, what I like doing if I'm just looking for like, any history book to read for fun is to look on the goodreads list of microhistories. There's a lot of really interesting books on some real niche topics, always cheers me up.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Are there any good biographies of Mansa Musa?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Anyone know a good biography of Diderot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Dalrymple talks about that more in Koh-I-Noor, if I recall correctly. I haven't cracked open The Anarchy yet, so I don't know if he just hand-waves it or what in there, but I can understand not including it if he felt like he talked about it enough in a previous book.
That said, if it's like "the English invaded the COMPLETELY HAPPY AND CONTENT nation, where EVERYONE LOVED TO JOIN HANDS AND SING SONGS TOGETHER" then that's pretty egregious.