Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend something on the pre-colonial history of either the Sahelian/West African kingdoms, the Swahili Coast of East Africa, or really just anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa? I've read a bit about colonial and post-colonial Africa recently and I'd be really interested in learning a bit more about what it was like before the continent was taken over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I asked this ages ago and didn't get any responses so I'd like to try again. Does anyone have any recommendations for something on pre-Colonial Africa. I'm specifically interested in West Africa (both the large Sahel empires and the smaller forest kingdoms) and the Somali and Swahili areas of the Indian Ocean coast but realistically I'll take anything. I've read a bit about colonial and post-colonial Africa and I'm really interested in finding out more about the cultures as they were before they were colonized.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I found a reading list (this is something I've been looking into as well) https://history.wisc.edu/prelim_precolonialafrica_pierce.pdf

Books I've read about the colonial era that went into quite a lot of detail about West African cultures:
The Diligent, by Robert Harms
Atlantic Africa and the Spanish Caribbean, 1570-1640, David Wheat
Domingos Alvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World by James H. Sweet

Thank you for this, I'm going to be picking a lot of these up when I'm back in the States in a few months. Still hoping for something about the Indian Ocean coast, the development of trade with the Arab world and India is really interesting to me.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
On the subject of the Indian Ocean coast of Africa, I'm thinking about picking up https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Swahili...s=swahili+coast and https://www.amazon.com/Modern-History-Somali-Eastern-African/dp/082141495X/ref=la_B001HCVRBG_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477971744&sr=1-1

Anyone ever read them?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I haven't read it yet but if we're talking bits and pieces of Civil Rights era history I recently picked up Black Against Empire: This History and Politics of the Black Panther Party by Joshua Bloom & Waldo E. Martin. Looking forward to that one.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about Mexican history? I realized recently that other than some knowledge of the Aztec Empire (mainly from "1491"), I have a pretty big dearth of knowledge there I'd like to correct.

As an introduction Mexico: Biography of Power by Enrique Krauze is pretty good. It leans a bit heavily on the great man theory of politics for my taste but since the thesis is that the caudillo is the central figure in Mexican politics and culture that's kind of the point I guess.

For a more left wing take on things I also liked The Annexation of Mexico by John Ross. It's pretty polemical at times so if you're just looking for a basic introduction it might not be for you but I definitely liked it.

I would also recommend seeking out essay collections by Mexican writers like Octavio Paz, Jose Vasconcelos, and Carlos Fuentes. Alternatively, you could pick up The Mexico Reader, which includes a lot of the really crucial essays from the writers mentioned. It's a really well put together reader in general.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There is of course more to Israel than the I-P conflict

Do you, or does anyone else, have any recommendations about this? I've got a few books about the conflict, but I'd be interested in books about other aspects of Israeli (or Palestinian) history. Stuff about the British Mandate, or the Ottoman era would be interesting. Maybe something about the relationships between the Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Yemenite, and Ethiopian Jewish communities, or the role of kibbutzim in the development of Israel, or the role of Arabs and other minorities in the society of Israel proper. The conflict and occupation are interesting and important, but I know there are a lot of other interesting themes and issues in the history of the region and I'd like to read more about them.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm not getting any answers in the military history thread, but are there any works out there that cover the American expeditions in Siberia during World War I?

My grandfather's brother served there and the cold apparently stuck with him for the rest of his life.

I haven't actually read it yet and it has middling scores on goodreads so I can't really say if it's good or not, but I've been on an ebook downloading kick lately and one of the ones I picked up was When the United States Invaded Russia: Woodrow Wilson's Siberian Disaster by Carl J. Richard.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Any recommendations on post-revolutionary Haitian history? After a recent visit to Cap-Haitien and a read through of The Black Jacobins by C.L.R. James and I'm interested in getting a bit more information on what's happened since the death of Touissant L'Ouverture.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Anyone know of a good book about Julian the Apostate? He seems like an interesting figure.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can you recommend a good book on African history with an emphasis on pre-colonial sub-Saharan Africa? I'd love an African equivalent to 1491, but a good general history will do.

My understanding is that it's a bit dated but Roland Oliver and Anthony Atmore's Medieval Africa, 1250-1800 seemed to be a pretty good overview when I read it. Obviously if you want anything before 1250 it's not going to be too useful but I appreciated that it was a broad overview, covering every major region since I didn't have a lot of background knowledge at the time.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
[quote="Chairman Capone" post="512115167"]
It's not quite the time period you specified but general books I assign for my Modern Africa course are Roland Oliver and Anthony Atmore's "Africa since 1800" and Hakim Adi and Marika Sherwood's "Pan-African History: Political figures from Africa and the Diaspora since 1787"

Oliver & Atmore also have a book called Medieval Africa 1250-1800 that covers precolonial Africa. It's a short book on a big topic so I'm sure there are more in depth books out there but as an introduction it's alright.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
What are some recommended books about the history of Vietnam before WWII? Searching for Vietnamese history always leads to the wars against France and the US but that's not all that defines the country or its history and I'd love to know more about the colonial and pre-colonial past instead of just looking for various perspectives on the last half of the twentieth century.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Not entirely sure if this is the best place to ask this but to piggyback off of the previous post regarding the Matter of Britain, having read a decent number of the classic works related to that matter I've been getting kind of curious about the Matter of France, the stories and legends related to Charlemagne and his court. I've read the Song of Roland but finding English translations of other texts within that tradition has been rather difficult. I know this is the history thread so I'll open up my request to include historical overviews of either the actual events and lives of the Carolingian court or of the impact and importance of this body of literature but what I'm really looking for is English translations of the original texts. Any ideas?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Does anyone have any books about the area that's now Bangladesh when it was part of Pakistan? I've read 1971: A Global History of the Creation of Bangladesh by Srinath Raghavan but I'd like to know more about what was going on between Partition and Bangladeshi independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Perhaps a bit of a long shot here but I'm willing to accept pretty much any recommendation, whether popular or academic, history, archaeology, or anthropology are all fine. I've been curious about the indigenous peoples of southern South America. Obviously there are plenty of English language sources for the major Andean cultures, and there are also a decent amount of books on Amazonian cultures as well, but I haven't seen many sources for the Southern Cone, so how about it? Any books in English about the non-Andean indigenous peoples of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and southern Brazil?