Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I've been reading Page Smiths "People's History of the United States." It's an 8 volume series he wrote for the bicentennial. The third volume that covers the antebellum period is my favorite so far.

Really my biggest takeaway is that America was probably a mistake. Had those colonists just paid their fair share, we could all been living in the great united Canada under the commonwealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

history book thread!

I would like as many recommendations as you can give me about the Gilded Age and robber barons/railroads in particular.

Also, a handful of books on the Civil War/Reconstruction to properly contextualize the Gilded Age.

It's tangential, but I loved the book so much. "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin is a history of the oil industry from its beginnings in Pennsylvania and talks a bunch about Rockefeller and the early oil industry. The majority of the book takes place in the 20th century, but that first part is right up your alley. I would consider the end of the Gilded Age to be the breakup of Standard Oil, so there you go.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

What Hath God Wrought first (covering 1812 to 1848).

I enjoyed that one a great deal. I also like “This Vast Southern Empire” covering around the same period.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jagstag posted:

he also loves sensationalist sources of income dubious quality and will go on for 30 mins about the toll and the bodies piled up after every battle. also he loves military history and so he is going to talk about the most boring aspects of history

Sometimes it’s the right thing. Like the other poster, I have to be in the right mood. Hardcore history is told like a ghost story and that can be entertaining and the tone particularly suits his episodes on the eastern front of WW2 and his series on WW1.

Also, avoid his common sense podcast. It’s mealy mouthed garbage.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jagstag posted:

his room.e series was good though if you don't want to work through the rise and fall of the roman empire

As a counterpoint it was terrible.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is there a general reader book on the poo poo that’s happened economically since 1980? Or 70s? Neoliberalism in general? If you look at all kinds of economic charts of wages, debt, etc etc, they all seem to have an inflection point around 1980. I got curious to the scene in hypernormalization where the banks exercise political power over NYC by refusing to renew bonds. But it’s an Adam Curtis movie. I’m looking for something a little more sober and less agitprop-y.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I dunno where else to put this but I’ve been reading reconstruction by Eric Foner and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve screamed “nothing has changed!”while reading this book. I’m not in academia and I do t know if I’m reading too much into it but a couple of things really stand out:

1) southern republicans tacking right because they know the “left” of the party in freedmen and upcountry whites have nowhere else to go

2) An experiment in integrated schools in Louisiana being immediately followed by a white exodus and a proliferation of religious schools.

3) Labor theory of value coming from
Otherwise uneducated freedmen.

This book has got me riled up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's a good book or books on Reconstruction?

Black Reconstruction by W.E.B. DuBois

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Looking for a recommendation for books about guerilla violence in Missouri and Kansas not just about John Brown. Historical fiction maybe too?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Try Civil War at Sea by Craig Symonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

I personally found the reconstruction portion of the book to be weaker and the cut off at the end to be premature.

Fitting tbh.