Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

rantAK posted:

Picked this up by chance on holiday. An excellent narrative history on the end days of the Roman Republic, this one got me started on reading about Rome.

For anyone who might be unaware, Tom Holland has written two other history books in the same style that are just as good: Persian fire about the persian invasion of Greece and Millenium about medieval Europe around the turn of the millenium.

He also has In The Shadow Of The Sword, a book about the rise of the Arabian empire, coming out early in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Global Disorder posted:

Can anyone recommend a history of the Spanish empire? I'm specially interested in the Pacific Ocean - the Philippines, Manila galleons, trade with Asians and so on.

Also, I read Mann's 1491 and loved it and want to know more about pre-Columbian America. Good regional overviews are particularly welcome.

If you haven't read it yet Mann's follow up to 1491, 1493, is about how contact with the Americas changed global trade patterns and although it isn't specifically about the Spanish it does have sections on their Asian trade that you would be interested in.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

dokmo posted:

I just finished the first volume of Jonathan Sumption's hundred years war books. And man if you want to get a feeling for how expensive war is, this is the book for you, as pretty much 50% of the book is some king or another begging for money from anyone who would lend it to them to pay for the war. Also get a good sense of how much more efficient modern governments are at extracting taxes from people in comparison to their medieval counterparts.

I'm currently on book three, I think the wildest thing is that no-one ever seems to learn from their mistakes when it comes to logistics. "This year we'll be able to requisition all the ships we need on time, and the taxes will bring in the amount we expect. I know it didn't work out the last twenty years, but I've got a good feeling this time."