Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Is there a good book on Economic and Finance History (as opposed to history of economics as a discipline). Stuff that looks into unemployment, inflation, interest rates, exchange rates, and the policies and treaties that led to them? Maybe even regulatory history? It doesn't have to be global - a book on, say, 'Latin American debt crises in the 80s' or 'Kissinger and Saudi Treasury Bond purchases' would be just as interesting.

I've read a lot of memoirs and commentaries on the GFC so I'm interested in history pre-GFC. There's lots of books that go into detail about that crisis and its aftermath, but there's not really the same body of work for pre-2000 events (except When Genius Failed). I have a History of the Federal Reserve (from 1913 to 1987), which is enormous and excellent. I don't mind dry academic works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Does anyone have a recommendation for modern astronomy history that's actually about our backyard - the discovery of features of the solar system, and the engineering projects for Hubble, Curiosity, Apollo etc. I've read a lot of stuff that veers into the history of cosmology, or astronomy pre-20th Century - but not much about how the internal structure of the planets was worked out, the story of the rover missions, or the Voyagers or the ISS.

I don't mind books that take a very narrow scope or whatever - books on a single mission, or the history of Martian studies. I know there's lots of books about the Apollo missions. I also don't mind anything technical - I like the historical notes in Carroll and Ostlie.