Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

I have a shitton of books already laying around to read, but I was curious if anyone knew of anything good about Oneida and the other "free love" communes in the US in the 19th century.

Not a book, but Nice Try did a good podcast on Oneida specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

What are some good books about American electoral history? Something like Rick Perlstein (Nixonland), I mean. Something that captures the insanity of the whole thing.

For straight campaign books:

What It Takes, about the 88 election.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail (72) and Looking Forward To It (2004) for somewhat less serious (though not any less accurate) books.

And of course Caro’s LBJ books.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blue squares posted:

I find investigate journalism really fascinating, not only in the results but in the process. I love reading about reporters digging into things and the how-to of uncovering evidence and finding sources.

What are some good books that not only tell a great story but also show you how that story was discovered?

John Carreyrou’s Bad Blood is pretty good on this (his investigation into Theranos); it’s a little different but Jorge Contreras’s Genome Defense is about the SCOTUS challenge to gene patents. Contreras is a law professor and had solid access to many of the people involved, and much of the book focuses on how the people involved developed the approach they were going to use in their challenge.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

knox posted:

Allen Dulles being fired by JFK as head of the CIA (an organization that assassinated leftwing leaders with impunity across the world and installed US-friendly fascists in their place) is at the center of one. I don't understand why it is dubious/a stretch/bullshit/however you want to describe it, to think that Allen Dulles turned his Castro assassination-apparatus of the CIA onto the president who at that moment ended his 4+ decade long spy career & fired him, and then somehow he is put in charge of the investigation of that assassination to conveniently place the blame on deceased lone gunman Oswald who was proven to be CIA asset.

Well, for one thing, it’d require believing that for 60 years, the CIA has managed to keep secret literal treason.

(Which is dubious/a stretch/bullshit because, y’know, the CIA has shown itself to be so extremely good at keeping secrets over those 60 years.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GoingPostal posted:

I'm watching AMC's The Terror right now, and I've seen a few YouTube videos on the subject, but can anyone recommend any books? I've got Michael Palin's book on the Erebus right now from the library, any more recommendations? Audiobooks, as always, are a plus.

While it’s about the Antarctic instead, Alfred Lansing’s Endurance (re: the Shackleton expedition) would likely be right up your alley.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bowser posted:

Looking for good books about the history of Motown. Also maybe a history of the music of Detroit in general.

Techno Rebels is a great book on the Detroit electronic music scene in the 80s/90s - there’s an updated second edition that goes past that point but I’ve only read the first.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

In college, I read We Must Not Be Afraid to Be Free and Founding Faith, which gave context and history to the first amendment (original conditions which led to its development, and major rulings after). Are there a similar history books about the second amendment?

You could do worse than reading some of the historian briefs from Heller/McDonald and the primary and secondary sources they cite. (Public copies of a number have been lost to bitrot, unfortunately, so you'd have to use a legal research service to pull them.)

https://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/08-1521_amicus%20Legal%20Historians.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20100703...LegScholars.pdf

One of the better legal history articles (shorter than a book, if that's of interest) on the topic is Carl Bogus's Hidden History of the Second Amendment. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1465114 . If you read it, you'll note that obviously things have changed in the law since it was written 20+ years ago, but you'll also see hints in Bogus's piece about what eventually happened.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I'm looking for some books about Tbe Franklin Expedition and stuff about Artic and Anarctic exploration in general

I’d bet you’ve read it already but if not it’s hard to beat Lansing’s Endurance.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

almost done with Eric Foner's book on Reconstruction. I am feeling rather devastated. an important read for those like me who had a [scene missing] gap in knowledge about the post-Civil War era, whether due to poor public education or me sleeping in class (both may be partly to blame).

the book got me thinking about horrible SCOTUS decisions. are there any good books with an overview/analysis of some of the biggest Supreme Court cases in U.S. history?

Mark Tushnet’s “I Dissent” uses critical dissents in important cases as a lens to analyze those cases. (Make sure you get Tushnet’s and not the RBG one with the same name.)

Anthony Lewis’ Make No Law is an excellent book covering the NY Times v Sullivan defamation case.

Not sure if you’re looking for more of the former (one book looking at a number of cases) or the latter (books that cover specific cases in detail) - if the latter and there’s a specific case, lmk and I can probably recommend something.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

both the podcast and the book sound about right. I was recently thinking a lot about how constitutional interpretation bends in certain directions depending on the time - very interesting. book seems to be $30 used which isn't too bad

Tushnet’s written a bunch on constitutional interpretation and is generally very readable so you could do worse than his books (eg, A Court Divided on the Rehnquist court.). I’ll give some more thought to books that might do well in terms of a review of shifts in jurisprudential philosophy over time - less about specific cases and more about the rise and fall of different legal theories.

quote:

Buck v. Bell? yikes. well, I'll hold that thought for now. I'll need an overview of a variety given how little I know

I haven’t read it so can’t vouch but the standard work on this is Lombardo’s “Three Generations, No Imbeciles”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fighting Trousers posted:

gently caress yeah, The Field of Blood. That's gonna blow some kid's mind in the best possible way.

Yup. It’s so good, and eminently readable for a middle schooler.

E: plus super easy to tie into a U.S. history unit.