Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Hey, I'm looking for a good book that covers any sort of African medieval history, preferably a more general sort. I realize that this is an exceedingly general way of looking into African history, but any book that covers one of the empires, peoples, eras, etc. from that time period (750ish CE to 1500 CE) would be very much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

rasser posted:

Agreed. But wanting to know about Europe from reading about "one of the empires, peoples, eras, etc. from that time period (750ish CE to 1500 CE)" brings too many different subjects up. Are we talking vikings? Charlemagne? Byzantium? The popes of Avignon? The reconquista? Etc. etc.
All exciting subjects, but not all easy to put in one bucket - although you could learn a good deal about Europe from these and countless others.

Well I suppose to narrow it down a bit, how about some books on the civilizations of Western Africa (like the Songhai, Mali, an earlier power, or one of the major peoples from the area) or on Ethiopia around the same time? I'm sorry for the general query earlier, it's just that I really had no idea where to start.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any good books on Cardinal Mazarin? I've been doing some reading into the old regime, and the old dude seems like he lead a pretty interesting life. Preferably one that can give some insight into the inner workings of the Church at the time, because one description had him as a kind of womanizing adventurer of a clergymen, which strikes me as a bit odd.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Roark posted:

Lecherous, power-hungry clergymen? Somebody tell the pope! :ohdear:

But seriously, Treasure's Mazarin: The Crisis of Absolutism in France is a solid political biography of Mazarin. It focuses less on his personal life and more on his political life, if that's what you were interested in.

Haha, thanks very much for the recommendation. Trust me, I know all about the poo poo-show that is the Catholic Church, what with the lovely bribery, lechery, corruption, and general crappiness. It's just that I always felt that they tried to keep the lechery more underwraps at the higher levels, like being one of the major influences on the French monarchy. Everything else was par for the course - nothing says man of God more than having a personal army or more money than most states at the time - and all the lechery was 'under wraps' aka totally known by everybody but acceptable, within certain limits.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any good books on Georges Clemenceau?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good history of nineteenth century Central Asia? I know this is super open-ended, but any overview of that area, preferably focusing on its inhabitants rather than the Russians or the English, would be much appreciated. If there aren't any major overviews, then any travelogues or works that have to deal with the native perspective of the Crimean War would do as well. If it's any help, I just finished Hopkirk's Great Game book, which is a lovely overview of the conflict between Russia and England in Central Asia.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any recommendations on the Civil Rights Movement that cover all of the bases, i.e. MLK, Malcolm X, the Black Panthers, etc.? My knowledge on the subject is limited to the sanitized version that a lot of Americans learn in high school and I want to get a better grasp on it.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations on books about the Janissaries?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Anyone know any good books on the treatment of Koreans in Japan in the first half of the 20th century and/or the effects of the Great Kanto Earthquake on the Japanese treatment of non-Japanese?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any good histories on the Dreyfus affair?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower devotes at least a chapter to it. The whole book is great though.

A bit late, but thank you for the spectacular recommendation. Great overview of the Dreyfus affair on top of everything else.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Are there any solid texts about the lead up to the Cuban Revolution or post-Revolutionary Cuba?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations about the Exposition Universelle of 1867? It's such an interesting cross section that I would love to see an in-depth look or exploration of what went on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any recommendations on a general history of Puerto Rico?