Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

I know this is a broad topic but can anyone recommend any books on the Vietnam War?

Kill Anything That Moves is supposed to be pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'd like that as well, it just seems difficult to find any that don't come with a heavy dose of some sort of bias.

Hmm, maybe history can't simply be reduced to objective facts?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

1984 was not very good; there were a lot of inaccuracies.

Particularly the part where Stalinism is portrayed as bad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You definitely want to read Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I'd recommend A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre. It is about the most damaging spy in MI6's history and spans the 1930s up until the early 1960s. The author does excellent work presenting his research and framing the story through relationships between spies, their families, countries, and competing agencies like MI5 and MI6.

I learned a lot about how spy agencies were structured during the Cold War, and how British classism let a Soviet spy thrive for so long as his superiors refused to consider that they had been duped. Highly recommended.

This review makes it sound rubbish: http://www.amazon.com/review/RGSNUNFZ9F5G9

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So I picked up Frank Dikötter's Mao's Great Famine since it was on sale and I wasn't so familiar with the period.

The author's other books include something called Age of Openness: China before Mao. I'm no fan of Mao, but should I go in expecting bias?

that's the one with a photograph of a starving child from a completely different unrelated famine on the front cover and a subtitle that calls it "China's greatest catastrophe" because i guess he forgot about the Taiping rebellion

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

smr posted:

Keep in mind that A Human Heart is a poster who thinks Stalinism was awesome so....

Citation Needed

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true, but they wernt put to the sword like the nazis were. yeah a bunch of lower SS got away, but most of the higher ups died or got executed. In the civil war, we didnt purge the poo poo out of the south or their leadership. we didnt hang davis. therefore all those fuckheads could write their bullshit. the Nazis had a few but not enough to fully change the narrative.

Actually most Nazi officials weren't purged at all after the war, assuming you mean West Germany, the bureaucrats and mid level officials and so on were basically the same people as during the war and they continued running things. And lots of ex Nazis and other fascists ended up working with NATO anyway, either in Europe itself or in other places like South America.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

Wasn't it even the reverse? Like CIA funded programs ended up propping up "dirty commies" in the colleges as part of a program of being able to point to them as proof America is better because we even let them teach. As well as the things like the CIA providing major grants to all sorts of abstract modern art and music to spite the Soviets and their love of "realist" art.

The CIA funded abstract impressionism and Boulez and other stuff like that, this book talks about it: http://www.amazon.com/Cultural-Cold-War-World-Letters/dp/1565846648

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What's a good read on US history post-WW2 through the 70's? Emphasis on the 60's/JFK if possible and obviously free of US bias.

Also, how much do you all remember when you read history, especially large books which cover a lot of ground? I find names difficult to remember but years a lot easier. But I put so much focus on remembering everything about the chapter I am reading that sometimes I just forget details from previous chapters.

I'm new to reading history so is there a method for remembering? I tend to understand things in a general timeline sense but have a hard time going back and trying to explain things.

Take notes on each chapter and read over them after you've read the book.

Hemp Knight posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the eastern front in WW2? Whenever I look in a bookshop, it's literally all about the western front with a few token books about the Pacific and China .

this book is supposed to be cool and it covers the great patriotic war in detail for obvious reasons http://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Wars-World-Cold-1939-1953/dp/0300136226

A human heart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 27, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Read Nixonland, The Invisible Bridge, The Bad Samaritans, Lies my Teacher Told Me, and A People's History of the US.

Anyone have recommendations in line with these? I need stuff to read at night during a two week summer drill to fuel my debating with the other Marines.

Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Uroboros posted:

I wanted to but iTunes didn't have an audiobook.

ah hell, i can't learn about a subject because there isn't a person on itunes reading the book out loud to me. i also need someone to change my soiled diaper

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Koramei posted:

This is probably a long shot, but anyone know any good books on/ that include Siberian shamanism? Failing that, Mongolian or Central Asian?

This probably, although idk what anthropologists nowadays think about it: https://www.amazon.com/Shamanism-Archaic-Techniques-Ecstasy-Bollingen/dp/0691119422

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FingersMaloy posted:

Is Gibbon's Decline and Fall... worth reading or is it a more a piece of history itself? Has it been eclipsed by modern scholarship?

It's totally out of date historywise of course, but you get to read a fat autistic englishman talk about how orientally despotic the Byzantine Empire was, so it's good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Any recommended books on the Cuban Revolution and/or Castro? Obviously somewhat inspired by recent events, but also a topic I've wanted to learn more about for a while.

a cool book to read is 'In Cuba' by Ernesto Cardenal

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

If you're interested in a somewhat, cough, revisionist take, In the Shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland.

let's all read a pop history book by some british tv man with no academic qualifications

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

As opposed to most of the other books that get posted in this thread?

well yeah, most of them are bad as well

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

algebra testes posted:

From what I've read of it I really enjoy the writing style.

Especially when he describes both sides in a civil war "to be fighting for truth, justice, and the Islamic way".

Love comic book references in my history books OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Apparently the Blitzkrieg only worked because the Germans were hopped up on crystal meth and drove tanks straight to the Atlantic coast without stopping to sleep for four days, before the Allies could basically get their pants on.

come on now that's a silly idea

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I believe this may have been mentioned in this thread before, but what is the best book on Stalin's purges?

J Arch Getty is generally meant to be 'pretty good'. certainly better than anything by that cretin Montfiore that someone else has suggested

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Getty is the quintessential revisionist historian of Stalin's purges, in that his early work was heavily criticized for leaving Stalin out almost completely, and since then he's still focused much more on how the purge was driven by factors on the ground and choices by low-ranked party members rather than by Stalin himself. Some of this has changed since the 90s and the archival revolution let us get a look at Stalin's personal files, but seeing to what extent the purges were a decentralized phenomenon is still Getty's thing really. I like his work but some people really don't and even find it offensive.

its not offensive to suggest that maybe a phenomenon on the scale of the purges might have had something to do with people on the ground rather than 'this guy stalin was really paranoid and crazy'

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DeceasedHorse posted:

Looking for recommendations on:

1.) Gilded Age
-> Industrialization
-> Labor/Capitalism

ED: The Republic for Which It Stands was fantastic. I'm pretty well read on Reconstruction and World War I on, but not so much in between

2.) 19th Century Imperialism

3.) Organized labor

Hobsbawm's Age of Capital and Age of Empire would probably work as a general overview for number 2(he's also just generally good to read). You might want to read Age of Revolution as well even though a lot of it is pre 19th century

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

its good to keep in mind though that hobsbawm was a hardcore marxist who uh defended the Holdomor and his writings about Soviet Russia are sort of...evasive

That's one of the many reasons why he's good

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Boatswain posted:

I've seen recommendations for Hardcore History here and there for so long but I could never bring myself to listen to a person who use "Hardcore" sincerely. Glad to see that I am redeemed.

Hardcore is a great genre containing a lot of great bands my man

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I’ve been on a Vietnam binge since watching the Ken Burns documentary last year. My wife having been born in Vietnam has also peaked my interest in that country’s history.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned “Embers of War”. I am a few chapters in and it is absolutely fantastic. I read Graham Greene’s “The Quiet American” earlier and until that point, that was my only source on the French period.

With that said, are there any books that focus on the initial French conquest of Vietnam? Or its history before that? Also, and this is random, but is Mark Bowden’s “Hue: 1968” any good or does it exclusively focus on the US side? It’s hard finding works that focus on the NVA or even ARVN perspectives of that period.

Why not read something by Ho Chi Minh?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Well, you said you wanted stuff from the North Vietnamese perspective, and he seems like the most obvious guy to give you that perspective.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Azran posted:

If I want to learn more about fascism, is there any recommended book? Preferably one that doesn't talk positively about it. :v: I'm mostly interested in the way it originates and how it propagates.

https://www.amazon.com/Apprentices-Sorcerer-Tradition-Critical-Sciences/dp/1608462021

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

"I'm sympathetic to the Revolution, warts and all" I declare as several nuns are decapitated in front of me

oh so nuns being decapitated is supposed to be bad now??

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sorry, im sorry, i know the parts where they werent drowning women and children in the Nantes were really good and its unfair to judge the entire epoch of upheaval that we call the French Revolution by the occasional massacre and crime against humanity. im also very open minded about the khmer rouge, and i have severe brain damage

you're talking like a huge doofus and The Terror isn't really comparable to the mass killings under Pol Pot at all

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

In one Pentti Linkola book he's like "what they're doing in Cambodia seems good, but I haven't really looked into it"

at one point they exported a bunch of endangered wildlife and nature products to china in exchange for more weapons, seems kind of unprimitivist 2 me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Just a recommendation, but I'm reading Douglas Smith's "Forgotten People", about the Russian nobility after the Revolution. Spoiler...it doesn't go well for most of them.

Good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I think it's ok. Though, I've also heard it described as a "catalog of atrocities."

That sounds badass

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

geez, you guillotine a few thousand filth spattered aristocrats and clergymen and 300 years later there's some guys on a web site still whining about it? settle down nerds.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can you recommend a good book on African history with an emphasis on pre-colonial sub-Saharan Africa? I'd love an African equivalent to 1491, but a good general history will do.

It's not really a general history just because of how fragmentary it is(and that's mostly because of limited written sources) but I'm enjoying The Golden Rhinoceros by Francois-Xavier Fauvelle. It has a lot about North Africa but there's quite a bit of sub Saharan stuff there also.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The_Other posted:

Something I've been meaning to post here. Matthew White, author of The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities (a book I like probably more than I should) is currently working on a history of democracy and has been posting the chapters he's written online. I thought this might be of interest to the people in this thread. I'm posting the direct links to each chapter in this list since White's site can be a little hard to navigate.

i like how russia is listed as a democracy only from 1991 to 2004. thought provoking stuff

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

When would you say it was a democracy?

well obviously that guy is a dumbass who thinks that democracy means 'has parliamentary elections' but the idea that russian under putin isn't a democracy but that russia under yeltsin was is pretty funny specifically.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I mean, it was more of a democracy under Yeltsin, I guess.

i don't think the guy who was so unpopular that he shelled parliament with tanks and had to be re-elected with the explicit aid of the americans was a great example of democracy personally

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

I've been enjoying Stephen Kotkin's work but every time I try to find a good audiobook on Soviet history the same pattern emerges.

Book: Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days Of The Soviet Empire
"This sounds interesting, let's look up the author"

"Yeesh, let's try another one."

Book: Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956
"Wow, this sounds like the perfect followup to Kotkin, let's just see who wrote it"

Book: The Cold War: A New History
Author:

lmao

It's chill that basically all mainstream soviet historians are hopelessly compromised by this sort of thing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Anybody have any good recommendations on Vietnam after the Second Indochina War?

Red Brotherhood at War by Grant Evans and Kelvin Rowley is a pretty cool book about Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and the Vietnam/Cambodia and Vietnam/China conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Cares posted:

Oh, yeah. I’d prefer to get my books from a legal source. I appreciate you trying to help though, Chernobyl :)

that sort of thing is pretty essential for out of print books that aren't easily obtainable, especially more academic stuff if you don't have access to a university library.