Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about Mexican history? I realized recently that other than some knowledge of the Aztec Empire (mainly from "1491"), I have a pretty big dearth of knowledge there I'd like to correct.

It's much broader than just Mexico, but Born in Blood and Fire covers all the Latin American countries and is very good. I used an older edition in a survey class years ago. I suggest it because the events of independence of Latin American countries were deeply inter-linked and the problems of development and governmental stability took similar paths in different countries, including Mexico. The book carries the theme that a cult of caudillismo has haunted almost all of them and was really central during many points of Mexican history, especially the Second Mexican Revolution. I hope other folks have good suggestions for a more Mexico focused book to go along with this, but it offers a really great foundation.

Also, a novel by Carlos Fuentes, The Death of Artemio Cruz, centers on Mexico in the early 20th century and conveys what the country was like during a crucial and transformative time in it's history. It's probably best read after learning a bit about the history of the era but it really grabbed me when I read it in college and, though I haven't revisited it, it remains one of my all-time favorites and is generally well regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Commissar Canuck posted:

Anyone have any book recommendations covering the Thirty Years War?

Seconding Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Quandary posted:

Tangentially related, but what do people think about Dan Carlin and his hardcore history podcasts? I started listening to one and it seems rambly but decently interesting. Are they relatively historical accurate?

People with a deep and modern understanding of some of the subjects he covers tend to lay the critique that he is too attached to older interpretations of things. My main complaint is that he really spends too much time making his point about any given thing, but I guess at this point it has to be regarded as a feature, not a bug.

There's the historical, informational, and educational podcast thread for in-depth disdain for his excessive fondness of boxing metaphors, if you like.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm looking for recommendations for the Mexican Revolution. I saw Villa and Zapata has been mentioned before, and I've read Born in Blood and Fire about Latin American history more broadly for a survey class a while back. Mike Duncan hasn't updated his bibliography yet or I'd start there.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

A readable overview of the Thirty Years War? It can be long, as long as it is not dry.

The Peter Wilson book on the Thirty-Years War is extremely readable and nicely written, though it is certainly not a short book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

dokmo posted:

I believe Steven Runciman's three volume History of the Crusades will give you most of what you're looking for. What's missing from that (and most western histories about the crusades) is most of the Islamic perspective.

For the Islamic perspective The Crusades Through Arab Eyes was great 20 years ago. I'm not sure if something better has come along since.