Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Have been raiding my library's Overdrive for good medieval/early modern content:

Mudlark, by Lara Maiklem - A look at the hobby of mudlarking, where people search for/collect artifacts on the shores of river (especially tidal rivers, the Thames in particular). A pretty light read as far as history goes, but kind of cool to see what's dredged up.

Queen of the Conqueror, by Tracy Borman - A biography of Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. A lot of it was educated guesswork based on the lack of, well, any sort of documentation in the 11th century, much less documentation of women, but kind of cool for that reason alone.

The Lost Tudor Princess, by Alison Weir - Biography of Margaret Douglas, who was Henry VIII's niece and Elizabeth I's cousin. She sounds like kind of a piece of work TBH, especially as Lord Darnley's coddling mother, but I hadn't known much about her, despite her being "in the mix" of the powerful female leaders of the era.

Mistress of the Monarchy, by Alison Weir - Biography of Katherine Swynford, John of Gaunt's mistress-turned-wife, which is just a cool story for medieval Europe--a real, lasting love story, mistress-turned-wife, illegitimate kids turned legitimate, direct ancestors of major English and Scottish monarchs.

All of the above are pretty accessible reads as far as nonfiction goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

For anyone interested in Viking history, I'm about a third of the way through Children of Ash and Elm by Neil Price and it's great so far--wide-ranging and informative without being dense or dry. It's being released officially next week but I got a free electronic copy through NetGalley, so it might be worth looking into if you have an account.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Global Disorder posted:

I'd like a book that explains the gist what we currently know about prehistory. Something similar to Leakey's The Origin of Humankind, only up to date.

Check out the most recent (Q&A) episode of the Tides of History podcast; he’s currently doing prehistory and talks about his reading list towards the end of that ep, I think. This entire series is worth a listen if you’re into the subject and don’t mind the podcast format.