Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a-dogg
Sep 29, 2005

Weekend Warrior

Tupping Liberty posted:

I recently delved into Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson for a grant I'm a part of, and I am enjoying it a lot. I feel like McPherson brings everything together in an interesting way - it's not just politics and battles.

I am wondering - has anyone read any of the other books in the Oxford History of the United States series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_History_of_the_United_States

There are two books in this series that overlap the Jacksonian Period which are both very good, but very dense. The Market Revolution by Charles Sellers is the earlier of the two, and also half as long as the more recently-released What Hath God Wrought by Daniel Walker Howe. I like both since that is the period I am most interested in but if I had to choose, I'd pick the Sellers book only because his thesis makes more sense to me. In a way, I felt as though Howe's thesis was somewhat forced because in the two decades since publishing Sellers's book, the Market Revolution theory has been hard to effectively refute. But with that, each are very well researched, very dense, and very interesting coverages of the 1815-1850 era, and I can easily recommend both.

I noticed that recently Gordon S Wood's Empire of Liberty made it to paperback, and since I always wanna talk about Gordon Wood, it is on my to-buy list. Speaking of Gordon Wood, his past review of Middlekauff's Glorious Cause makes it clear that the book particularly stresses the military conflict of the American Revolution, but I have not read the book itself so I can't speak to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a-dogg
Sep 29, 2005

Weekend Warrior

Speleothing posted:

Just now finishing Before the Revolution by Daniel K Richter. The first half was a very interesting look at European colonization of North America by trying to frame the actions of both Europeans and Natives in the Native perspective, or at least not entirely through the European lens that written sources provide.

However, the second half has been kind of drudgery, mostly because of the increasing focus on European and colonial economies. If you can find it at a library, I'd definitely read at least the first 100 or so pages.

I just ordered this book because I read a review of it in William & Mary Quarterly, and I'm really looking forward to it. The reviewer suggests Richter's got a Cronon-esque grasp on environmental history but also effectively weaves in economic history, so that excites me. An amazon review said the book seems mostly like a collection of undergraduate lectures, is that the feeling you got from it?

nerdpony posted:

Seconding this recommendation of Evans' trilogy. Bendersky's A Concise History of Nazi Germany is also a good place to start. If you're (or anyone else is) looking for more specific recommendations for social history-type works, feel free to ask me in-thread or shoot me a PM. I'm a historian and this is a field where I've done a lot of work, so I can recommend a lot of titles and authors.

I think you should mention some in this thread anyway!