Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AeroZeppelin
Dec 20, 2005

It's Burst Into Flames!

Tupping Liberty posted:

I recently delved into Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson for a grant I'm a part of, and I am enjoying it a lot. I feel like McPherson brings everything together in an interesting way - it's not just politics and battles.

I am wondering - has anyone read any of the other books in the Oxford History of the United States series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_History_of_the_United_States

I read Battle Cry for a grant I'm doing in Grad School as well. Are you apart of the TAH grant?

To contribute: American Sphinx by Joseph J. Ellis

Although the author is most famous for his embellishments in his personal life, this book got me interested in geopolitics for the newly formed America. At times I feel he wants to kiss rear end to a dead guy most of the time, but what biographer doesn't. If you want social commentary, it is an excellent book. If you want a Jefferson bio, there are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AeroZeppelin
Dec 20, 2005

It's Burst Into Flames!

Ambulocetus posted:

So, how about the War of 1812? I'm looking for some kind of an overview.

After the Overview, I suggest Union 1812 by A. J. Langguth. It has some rich connections from the Revolution to 1812 that I thought helped me to understand that between period far better than most overviews.

AeroZeppelin
Dec 20, 2005

It's Burst Into Flames!

Tupping Liberty posted:

I was reading Freedom from Fear for a history grant. It's another one of the huge books from the Oxford American History series; I only got through the first half of it (the Great Depression part) before taking a break from it. I'll go back at some point and read the WWII part but I got really bogged down in the "will they won't they" arguments about going to war in the 30's and 1940-41.

I liked the Depression part, to a point. Freedom from Fear is definitely a political history book with some elements peeking out here and there of social or cultural history. Someone on Goodreads recommended reading The Greatest Generation if one wanted more of a social history.

The author does a good job highlighting exactly what Hoover and Roosevelt actually did, though, given that the master narrative is generally "Hoover sucked and did nothing" and "Roosevelt is the God that got us out of the Great Depression."

Edit: Anyone have any thoughts on The Greatest Generation?

I believe we are in the same grant. Was it just me or is Kennedy in love with his Thesaurus for no apparent reason. On of the best books from the grant had to be A Brilliant Solution http://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-Solution-Inventing-American-Constitution/dp/0156028727/ref=pd_sim_b_37 Although I feel Berkin plays cheerleader for everyone, I think the focus on the human factor this book contains is what is lacking in most on the subject.