Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jimson posted:

Game seems awesome I am looking forward to it but have a few questions.

How accessible will this be to people who are terrible at fighters? Will I still enjoy it, and find it fun, or will I hate every moment of it and want to turn it off after the first match? When I say terrible, I mean really bad, but me and my friends like to play fighters like MvC and the like when ever were bored.

How much fun can I expect to have on singleplayer? I know fighters are entirely based around fighting other people, but sometimes I like to pop in MvC2 and just play around with the computers getting my rear end kicked at every turn.

The team is trying very hard to make the game accessible to people who aren't hardcore FG players. There's a really in-depth tutorial system that teaches you different aspects of the game, from movement to defense to mixups, and a bunch of other stuff. I got my roommate, who has basically 0 experience in fighting games to run through the tutorials, and according to him he had a great time and learned some valuable stuff about the genre.

The single-player modes are pretty legit actually, there is a story mode for each character as well as an arcade mode that's pretty much what you would expect. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about, but I think people will really enjoy the story exposition in the single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I actually remember hearing I Must Scream is the in-game explanation for Mirror Matches, have absolutely no idea if that's true or not.

Kind of like Darkstalkers 3, except not as an actual character? That's kind of neat, but they'd have to be generic monsters so that you could have a team of three of them.

I'd still want to play it as an actual character though, because it owns.

Jmcrofts posted:

The team is trying very hard to make the game accessible to people who aren't hardcore FG players. There's a really in-depth tutorial system that teaches you different aspects of the game, from movement to defense to mixups, and a bunch of other stuff. I got my roommate, who has basically 0 experience in fighting games to run through the tutorials, and according to him he had a great time and learned some valuable stuff about the genre.

The single-player modes are pretty legit actually, there is a story mode for each character as well as an arcade mode that's pretty much what you would expect. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about, but I think people will really enjoy the story exposition in the single player.

I gotta say I'm impressed at what you guys did with the tutorial mode. The fighting game genre's been around for 15-ish years and maybe three of them even so much as skimmed on any game strategy, instead only giving a move list and combo practice modes. It's particularly hard to understand either, just nobody ever bothered to try teaching it. TF2 has a better tutorial mode than most fighting games, and that's saying something.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 5, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

PalmTreeFun posted:

Kind of like Darkstalkers 3, except not as an actual character? That's kind of neat, but they'd have to be generic monsters so that you could have a team of three of them.

I'd still want to play it as an actual character though, because it owns.
IIRC, Mike Z said And I Must Scream (officially called Double) will be more than a mirror match or someone like Seth. He also said there will not be someone who is boss exclusive. If it's a fighter, it's a playable fighter.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I haven't seen this asked before or I missed it in which case I'm sorry for repeating:

Will there be MvC2-like anti-air assists? I miss my Cyclops and Commando assists. Was thinking of a team of Parasoul/AAA, which early on sounded like it was Cerebella with Cere-Copter but then it got nerfed or something

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

iPodschun posted:

I haven't seen this asked before or I missed it in which case I'm sorry for repeating:

Will there be MvC2-like anti-air assists? I miss my Cyclops and Commando assists. Was thinking of a team of Parasoul/AAA, which early on sounded like it was Cerebella with Cere-Copter but then it got nerfed or something

Parasoul has a commando-like assist, Filia has a psylocke-like assist.

note that all assist have an extra 3-frame vulnerable startup.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wait is the guy with a tank strapped to his arm seriously not named "Panzerfist"? It's the most obvious pun in the world.

EDIT to the guy below me: Sure, but it's a pun that doesn't work in english, like "Waluigi." I'm just saying, for a game with characters like "Parasoul", "Ms. Fortune" and "Painwheel," going for the subtle pun is sorta odd.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 5, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Boxman posted:

Wait is the guy with a tank strapped to his arm seriously not named "Panzerfist"? It's the most obvious pun in the world.

You should look up the meaning of Panzerfaust :shobon:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

Filia is extremely fast, particularly in the air, and plays a lot like Magneto from MvC2, with a little SF2 Ryu thrown in as well.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Filia is actually the character I'm leaning towards wanting to play the most, just a straight up legit rushdown character. I tend to gravitate towards the "main" characters of FGs anyway since they tend to have a relatively strong, simple style which appeals to me as far as learning the game goes; but I'm curious as to how Filia is going to make my Ryu boner feel in more specific ways.

I'm also thinking ideally I'd want her to be in a 2 person team with someone supporting her to help her get in (if she needs it) or extend combos (if she doesn't). How plausible is it to pair her with the equivalent of a beam assist from Marvel 3, or at least a great projectile?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Filia is actually the character I'm leaning towards wanting to play the most, just a straight up legit rushdown character. I tend to gravitate towards the "main" characters of FGs anyway since they tend to have a relatively strong, simple style which appeals to me as far as learning the game goes; but I'm curious as to how Filia is going to make my Ryu boner feel in more specific ways.

I'm also thinking ideally I'd want her to be in a 2 person team with someone supporting her to help her get in (if she needs it) or extend combos (if she doesn't). How plausible is it to pair her with the equivalent of a beam assist from Marvel 3, or at least a great projectile?

The similarities to Ryu end pretty quickly, but she has a (lovely) fireball, a DP, and a tatsu(kind of?) so there's that. She also has a broken cr.mk, though it's not broken in the way Ryu's is.

She doesn't really need help getting in, she's probably the best character in the game at that. More than anything, she needs an assist that will help her maintain rushdown pressure. If you do a tri jump, then cr.lk cr.mk, if it hits great do a combo. If it doesn't hit though, she's kind of done since cr.mk is like -1 on block, and nothing she can cancel it into is +frames. So that's where an assist comes in, you can call the assist during a blockstring and then use the blockstun from the assist to get a ton of mixups. You'll notice that Cerecopter is especially brutal in this situation since it's like a hundred hits and gives you time for several mixup attempts.

E: If you're looking for an all-arounder character like Ryu who excels at all ranges I recommend Parasoul. She doesn't have an airdash or wavedash so she's not as mobile as Filia or Valentine but she is second only to Peacock in the keepaway game, and up close she has great normals and good high/low with her command overheads.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 5, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I heard about this game a while back but forgotten about it until I just saw this thread. I must say the game looks awesome and the artwork is absolutely beautiful. I'm excited to read that the game is going to have a good tutorial system because I've never played a fighting game aside from Tekken 3 years ago and I want to play this.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Boxman posted:

EDIT to the guy below me: Sure, but it's a pun that doesn't work in english, like "Waluigi." I'm just saying, for a game with characters like "Parasoul", "Ms. Fortune" and "Painwheel," going for the subtle pun is sorta odd.

Faust is already German for fist so there is no need to change the word really.

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

Boxman posted:

But to be fair "Panzerfaust" is a cool name that is consistent with a big ol' German guy and "Panzerfist" sounds like the world's worst sex move.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
It was mentioned one of the times that this game was demoed at Wednesday Night Fights that you can build meter by whiffing attacks when you have below one meter, but not after that, and not while moving backwards. Did they ever explain the reason behind that decision? Does meter on whiff make some play styles too strong or something?
Also, while I'm asking about meter, why does meter gain seem so much lower in 1v1 matches? People seem to average about 3 meters per round, as opposed to 5+ in fights with more characters.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Eeevil posted:

It was mentioned one of the times that this game was demoed at Wednesday Night Fights that you can build meter by whiffing attacks when you have below one meter, but not after that, and not while moving backwards. Did they ever explain the reason behind that decision? Does meter on whiff make some play styles too strong or something?
Also, while I'm asking about meter, why does meter gain seem so much lower in 1v1 matches? People seem to average about 3 meters per round, as opposed to 5+ in fights with more characters.

This match is the classic example of why you shouldn't build meter on whiffing normals. Also see Storm/Cyclops super-jump whiffing in MvC2.

And I'm assuming you get higher meter gain in rounds with more characters in order to give you the option of DHCing/alpha countering/snapbacks more often.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Eeevil posted:

On one hand, people who complain about playing against MvC2 Storm talk about how she can superjump, hold/back to slow fall, then whiff j.FP because she can gain a lot of meter without you being able to touch her. On the other hand, when I've been playing Strider/Doom and I was able to whiff a few FPs to get one meter was a life saver. It's a funny issue and I think the Skullgirls way is going to be a good balance.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This match is the classic example of why you shouldn't build meter on whiffing normals. Also see Storm/Cyclops super-jump whiffing in MvC2.

No, it's an example of whiffing for meter being poorly implemented.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rockiavelli posted:

But to be fair "Panzerfaust" is a cool name that is consistent with a big ol' German guy and "Panzerfist" sounds like the world's worst sex move.
Don't worry. The character's name is Panzerfaust, not Panzerfist.

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

Liar Lyre posted:

Don't worry. The character's name is Panzerfaust, not Panzerfist.

Really? You don't say.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rockiavelli posted:

Really? You don't say.
oh....It looks like I misread something.

Well here's a another cool feature in the game to add to the OP. If you're in a match and you want to hop into training mode, pause the game and hit all 3 punches. It's not officially in, but it's in the current build and everyone loves it, so it will more than likely be in the final build

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Jimson posted:

If you can show me one female character in a fighting game who isn't somehow overly sexualized you deserve a gold medal.

Eko and Kaz from Arcana Heart 3? Eko is a horrible stereotype (Kaz is amazing though, he's the big green doodle-man), but not really sexualized at all.

I'm going to pick up this game because maybe this will finally be the game to help me properly learn fighters (without forcing me to do conventions I am extremely uncomfortable with [ie. teams of 3, assists/tags, etc]) and also because Michiru Yamane is a personal hero. :allears:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jimson posted:

If you can show me one female character in a fighting game who isn't somehow overly sexualized you deserve a gold medal.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Jimson posted:

Skullgirls looks pretty good. I'm by no means a good fighting game player but I do like to watch EVO and I'm good enough to understand what's going on in the fights but not good enough to pull that stuff off myself. If Soul Calibur 5 is going to be at EVO they should put Skullgirls on the main stage too. Also, hopefully the online community sticks around for this game, usually the multiplayer communities for downloadable games dies out real fast.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^ That's a much better choice

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

A character introduced at the same time as the armor-breaking system was. I'd say that indicates a fair measure of sexualization.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

She better have abs of steel or poo poo is gonna go bad quick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah this girl with a perfect figure and leather high heels isn't sexualized at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Potsticker posted:

^^^ That's a much better choice

A character introduced at the same time as the armor-breaking system was. I'd say that indicates a fair measure of sexualization.

It should be noted that when Hilde's armor is broken she is still fully clothed because it was only the armor that was broken, unless you consider more or less jeans and a t-shirt to be effectively naked. There are plenty of fights to pick with SC, but Hilde isn't one of them (unless you're talking about balance.) But this thread isn't about SC.

Regarding the game this thread is actually about, can anyone comment on whether there is a color edit mode or how many options there are if there isn't one? I know there is at least one option for each character that is supposed to basically be the "No panty shots" option, and I would assume at least two because two players and all.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Non-sexualized fighting game female?

One of the many reasons why Makoto owns. I want to like Skullgirls because the artstyle is gorgeous and the animations are fluid as hell, but it still comes across as very creepy. It's a shame they couldn't have done something more with the gimmick.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Another mechanics question to get people away from this loving retarded derail seriously shut the hell up: What are charge times like in this game? Games with chain-heavy mechanics like this and the versus games tend not to be very kind to charge characters, but lots of characters have charge specials. Can someone who's spent some time with the game (Chilldog save us) compare the average charge times to other games?

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

chumbler posted:

Regarding the game this thread is actually about, can anyone comment on whether there is a color edit mode or how many options there are if there isn't one? I know there is at least one option for each character that is supposed to basically be the "No panty shots" option, and I would assume at least two because two players and all.

There is no color edit mode, but there is an obscene amount of palettes available, I think one for every possible combination that you can hold the six buttons, or some obscene number like that. There is a blog post on the Skullgirls site that talks about how the color palettes, or color maps I guess, work that is pretty interesting.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Vanderdeath posted:

One of the many reasons why Makoto owns. I want to like Skullgirls because the artstyle is gorgeous and the animations are fluid as hell, but it still comes across as very creepy. It's a shame they couldn't have done something more with the gimmick.

She has an alternate schoolgirl costume. Dunno if schoolgirls count as sexualized but it involves panty shots.

I dunno about the character designs themselves. Sexual aspect aside, they're very distinct and flavorful, and that's what I really care about. Additionally the animation in this game is better and more varied than I've seen in any 2-D game, ever. I include the likes of Odin Sphere and Darkstalkers when making this assessment. I look forward to watching it on streams, it's just a treat visually.

My favorite is Peacock.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drat, I'm gonna have to give Parasoul a try just for that PSG reference alt.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Vanderdeath posted:

Are you sure about this?

This is unnecessarily sexualized.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

She has an alternate schoolgirl costume. Dunno if schoolgirls count as sexualized but it involves panty shots.

I dunno about the character designs themselves. Sexual aspect aside, they're very distinct and flavorful, and that's what I really care about. Additionally the animation in this game is better and more varied than I've seen in any 2-D game, ever. I include the likes of Odin Sphere and Darkstalkers when making this assessment. I look forward to watching it on streams, it's just a treat visually.

My favorite is Peacock.

I can't help but notice that 4 of the characters have near identical sihllouettes whenever people comment on the varied and flavorful art.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Jimson posted:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sade posted:

Another mechanics question to get people away from this loving retarded derail seriously shut the hell up: What are charge times like in this game? Games with chain-heavy mechanics like this and the versus games tend not to be very kind to charge characters, but lots of characters have charge specials. Can someone who's spent some time with the game (Chilldog save us) compare the average charge times to other games?
Charge is 35f and the game runs at 60fps, so about half a second.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Anatharon posted:

I can't help but notice that 4 of the characters have near identical sihllouettes whenever people comment on the varied and flavorful art.

So is this with or without a major part of their character?

Can't wait to play this since the evo build was fun. From what I saw there and the streams that I have caught, I think people are tending towards two character teams due to the damage boost. It'll be interesting to see where the community will take it, though.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Sade posted:

It feels a bit faster than Marvel charge times and way faster than SF charge times. If you're clever with charge buffering you can shoot sonic booms with Parasoul as fast as they block them until they're within 1/2 to 1/3 screen.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anatharon posted:

Are you talking about the actual in-game art or the website art because the the former is completely different per character

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Liar Lyre posted:

Charge is 35f and the game runs at 60fps, so about half a second.

Cool thanks bud.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I wish they'd stop lining up their characters on the website with the exact same standing neutral pose, seeing as their battle poses make them way more distinct and interesting to look at. Not to mention that looking at the game in motion is what the standard for these comments on the art should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Jimson posted:

• Locked thread