Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jimson posted:

If you can show me one female character in a fighting game who isn't somehow overly sexualized you deserve a gold medal.

The crystal-ball-using witch final boss from Samurai Showdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Archenteron posted:

The crystal-ball-using witch final boss from Samurai Showdown?

It was a guy.

E: Also, the long red fingernails woman has a crotch monster that jumps out of her skirt. Not sure where that falls in the misogyny scale.

E2: Nevermind, I just remembered this thread is supposed to be about Skullgirls the game.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 6, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Vanderdeath posted:

Non-sexualized fighting game female?

One of the many reasons why Makoto owns. I want to like Skullgirls because the artstyle is gorgeous and the animations are fluid as hell, but it still comes across as very creepy. It's a shame they couldn't have done something more with the gimmick.

I can see both her bare ankles and she's also not wearing a burka and as such she is sexist since, as is self evident, any acknowledgement of human sexuality automatically negates every other aspect of personhood. She also falls into the nice figure trap which as someone else correctly pointed out, is sexist.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 6, 2012

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I can see both her bare ankles and she's also not wearing a burka and as such she is sexist since, as is self evident, any acknowledgement of human sexuality automatically negates every other aspect of personhood. She also falls into the nice figure trap which as someone else correctly pointed out, is sexist.

Well she probably works out every day. She's also got crazy big feet and hands which are traditionally not very feminine. I know it was a troll but somebody here totally thinks that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I am very excited about the tutorial mode because I'm pretty much a spastic loving retard and I'll take all the help I can get.

Also Peacock's special with the bag-beating and exploding cigar is condensed 2d awesome.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I love how Peacock enters the match and says "MAYBE SHE'S BORN WITH IT!". It's such a dumb reference that I can't help but love it.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Kitfox88 posted:

Also Peacock's special with the bag-beating and exploding cigar is condensed 2d awesome.

This is actually something I find extremely odd about her play style. She's a keep away character loaded with projectiles, but her strongest super is a command grab. Seems contradictory. Probably will be an interesting risk/reward thing though, what with having to put her where she will supposedly be at her weakest to pull it off.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The 19th Person posted:

This is actually something I find extremely odd about her play style. She's a keep away character loaded with projectiles, but her strongest super is a command grab. Seems contradictory. Probably will be an interesting risk/reward thing though, what with having to put her where she will supposedly be at her weakest to pull it off.
It also gives you something to be afraid of at close-range when you're fighting her. When you think about it, lots of strong zoning characters have supers/ultras that only connect at close range.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The 19th Person posted:

If I remember correctly it's sort of a followup to her normal throw rather than like a 360 command grab or something like that. Though I heard that a while back so maybe it is no longer true or I completely imagined it. I couldn't begin to say how you would work it into her game, but given what I've seen of the game I don't think it would be that troublesome for her to land it. Also it's cool enough to make it worth using.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

The 19th Person posted:

It's not really a command grab, it's a move that you cancel off her normal throw. So it can still be teched and so on.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
As far as I know it is still a followup to her regular throw. And IIRC you have to do it soon enough after the throw animation starts up that you can't really visually hitconfirm it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sade posted:

As far as I know it is still a followup to her regular throw. And IIRC you have to do it soon enough after the throw animation starts up that you can't really visually hitconfirm it.

Well, that sounds like it means that if you wiff the normal throw, you don't blow the meter on the super. Which makes it sound really drat good.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well, that sounds like it means that if you wiff the normal throw, you don't blow the meter on the super. Which makes it sound really drat good.

Yes this is how it works.

Peacock's level 3 exists, from my understanding, in order to fill in a hole in her gameplay when she gets 3 meters i.e. with enough meter she becomes scary up close and far away.

Also, the most broken super that no one ever talks about is Lenny aka the giant bomb super. Mark my words that one is gonna be used all the time once the game is out.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
How does the Lenny super work, exactly? I don't think I've seen anyone use it in videos.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Sade posted:

How does the Lenny super work, exactly? I don't think I've seen anyone use it in videos.

Peacock throws out a humongous, slowly moving bomb. It walks toward the opponent and blows up when dealt enough damage or after a certain period of time. It damages Peacock, too.

I can see it doing some really nasty things with an opponent in the corner.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Jimson posted:

If you can show me one female character in a fighting game who isn't somehow overly sexualized you deserve a gold medal.

Tronne Bonne in MvC. Everything from her design, to her moves, to her quotes is unsexy.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Groghammer posted:

Peacock throws out a humongous, slowly moving bomb. It walks toward the opponent and blows up when dealt enough damage or after a certain period of time. It damages Peacock, too.

Close. He sits there, unmoving. He has 4800 HP and loses 1 HP every frame he's in existence. Attacks from both characters will reduce its HP. Once he reaches 0 HP, he explodes, damaging anybody within range, foe or friendly.

It is possible to kill him in a single hit if you're playing Solo Cerebella and you connect with the projectile portion of Diamonds are Forever.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groghammer posted:

Close! the bomb doesn't actually walk, it's moved when either player attacks it. It actually has a health bar that slowly ticks down, and any damage you do to it is taken from its health bar, and it explodes once its health is 0.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does the bomb stop player movement or attacks at all?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does the bomb stop player movement or attacks at all?

Yes. Projectiles disappear (1 hit of them at least) whenever they hit something, so peacock can't shoot through the bomb and hit you, Lenny takes all the hits. Lenny also is treated like a standing character, meaning when you walk into him he slows you down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Can you block the explosion? Like, can you put down the bomb and then just down-back inside his hit box while the other person gets blown up?

Also, what does Diamonds are Forever actually do? It's a level 3, right?

e: Is there anything you can't discuss concerning the characters that have already been demoed, or is basically everything about them from alt colors to frame data open knowledge?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 6, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Good, looking forward to overly elaborate setups of using him as a portable corner then.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Countblanc posted:

It looks like a seriously heavy-duty projectile to me. I might be wrong though because I only see it used at close range.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
From the SRK skullgirls wiki's cerebella page:

Diamonds are Forever (↓↙← + PP): The first close range hit as Vice-Versa lifts the rock from the ground is 0f after the super flash, low, and deals no damage. The second hit occurs when Vice-Versa punches the rock, and the third hit is the diamond projectile. The diamond has unlimited durability against other projectiles. As a DHC this move skips the first low range hit. Here's my Sunday best?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

From the SRK skullgirls wiki's cerebella page:

Diamonds are Forever (↓↙← + PP): The first close range hit as Vice-Versa lifts the rock from the ground is 0f after the super flash, low, and deals no damage. The second hit occurs when Vice-Versa punches the rock, and the third hit is the diamond projectile. The diamond has unlimited durability against other projectiles. As a DHC this move skips the first low range hit. Here's my Sunday best?

Huh, neat. I wonder if it can be used on reaction to things like Peacock's beam-ish super.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

Huh, neat. I wonder if it can be used on reaction to things like Peacock's beam-ish super.

The startup of the move has unlimited armor, as well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Can you block the explosion? Like, can you put down the bomb and then just down-back inside his hit box while the other person gets blown up?

e: Is there anything you can't discuss concerning the characters that have already been demoed, or is basically everything about them from alt colors to frame data open knowledge?

Lenny is blockable. Both players can be hit by it, and both can block it. He's treated like an assist where you block towards the other player, so no Lenny unblockables. However, peacock can teleport behind you or in front of you which opens up the door for some sweet Lenny+teleport crossups, especially after a snapback.

In addition to what was already talked about, Cerebella's lv3 has infinite super armor on it (e: beaten). So you can go through peacock supers with it and stuff. It also wall bounces so you can combo off it. Finally, it's Cerebella's only projectile so use it wisely!

I think I can talk about whatever I want for chars 1-6 but I think there's some stuff about Valentine I gotta keep quiet until her gameplay trailer comes out. She has some unique new mechanics that should be exciting.

As for frame data and stuff, I know almost none of it offhand. I can go dig through some files to find it if i really want to, but I haven't really bothered much, except in a few cases to find what stuff is safe etc.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The meta topic of sexism in Skullgirls has been replayed multiple times with no new discussion added. Inevitably, I see reports for derails and trolls like this. Sexism in Skullgirls is a dead topic. This thread is about the gameplay Please report anyone who derails the thread again. Do not respond to this post. This is a measure to stop the beating of dead horses.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Jmcrofts posted:

I think I can talk about whatever I want for chars 1-6 but I think there's some stuff about Valentine I gotta keep quiet until her gameplay trailer comes out. She has some unique new mechanics that should be exciting.

Please please please (feel free to not reply) let the rumored 'input lag' off her syringes or whatever it was be a joke or an idea that was quickly thrown out.

Please.

I don' t need a game that finally will be playable over the network to have a built-in SFIV netcode simulator. Honestly, I even feel like modok's reversed input stuff is pretty gimmicky (and not in a good way) but that's still different.

Jmcrofts posted:

As for frame data and stuff, I know almost none of it offhand. I can go dig through some files to find it if i really want to, but I haven't really bothered much, except in a few cases to find what stuff is safe etc.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason this isn't/won't be available in-game in the training? Even if it's just a timer that starts when a move lands and then counts up every frame until the player is back in a neutral (no hit/block stun remaining) state, so people could find out properties by going through them all.

Of all the games out there, DOA for 3DS actually didsomething like that, which was cool - ignoring the goofy rear end aspect of stun in that game, given its silly counter mechanics.

edit: fixed my broken jmcrofts quote

Fayk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 7, 2012

HappyGlobox
Jan 2, 2012

Guess what? I dreamt I was pregnant. It was great! I craved strawberries!
I cant wait for this game. I love how Painwheel dislikes the sound of Styrofoam and I am looking forward to playing Peacock because I like the cartoony-ness.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fayk posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any reason this isn't/won't be available in-game in the training? Even if it's just a timer that starts when a move lands and then counts up every frame until the player is back in a neutral (no hit/block stun remaining) state, so people could find out properties by going through them all.

Of all the games out there, DOA for 3DS actually didsomething like that, which was cool - ignoring the goofy rear end aspect of stun in that game, given its silly counter mechanics.

I've got good news for you: There's a hitstun timer in all the ingame training modes. As in, you hit the opponent, and a bar appears under them that shrinks and changes color as the opponent recovers.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a list of game modes anywhere? As far as I can gather the game has Story, Versus, Training, Tutorial, and Online modes.

What type of online will the game have? Does it have endless? Does it have ranked? Does it have tournament mode? Does it have something else we don't know about?

Also, will the game have (offline) Survival, Time-Attack, or Score-attack (a la M.O.M. from Guilty Gear XXAC+) modes?

Even if most hardcore FG players don't care about this peripheral stuff, I do and I'm sure others do too.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I've got good news for you: There's a hitstun timer in all the ingame training modes. As in, you hit the opponent, and a bar appears under them that shrinks and changes color as the opponent recovers.

I've played it briefly (a few months back at super NCI), but never seen the training mode, so I'm glad to hear it - though that seems like an odd way to display the information (if it's not also given in other ways) in a game without hitstun scaling or anything like that.

Does pushblock have any effect on blockstun, as it does in some other games?

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
yeah pushblocking puts you into a unique stunned animation and it feels like it's super long compared to most games - haven't played enough marvel 2 to compare it there though but it feels way longer than marvel 3.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fayk posted:

Not even a little hint? :witch:

The last I saw her, she didn't even have a finish second super. I was just interested in a character that is pretty mobile and has good range on normals, anything else is icing.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I heard rumors that maybe that second super actually did work just nobody knew what the hell it was actually doing? I dunno man.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Nerokerubina posted:

yeah pushblocking puts you into a unique stunned animation and it feels like it's super long compared to most games - haven't played enough marvel 2 to compare it there though but it feels way longer than marvel 3.

Fun fact: In Jojo's, pushblocking can actually make some unpunishable things punishable! And I mean purely stun, not because it makes something whiff.

It's pretty uncommon, though. Unfortunately I don't know how/where stun is stored in the game, so I've never been able to figure out the precise mechanics - is it a set amount of stun, or a formula, or what? WHO KNOWS. (Japan probably does)

edit: Oh, for custom assists, can they be set to (ha!) supers? If you have meter, I mean. Gimmicks!

Fayk fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 7, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Fayk posted:

edit: Oh, for custom assists, can they be set to (ha!) supers? If you have meter, I mean. Gimmicks!

This was possible early on, but it turned out being kind of broken in that nobody used anything but them.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Do we know how online's going to work, by the way? I'm aware it's GGPO but is it a simple matchmaking system like SF4 or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fayk posted:

I've played it briefly (a few months back at super NCI), but never seen the training mode, so I'm glad to hear it - though that seems like an odd way to display the information (if it's not also given in other ways) in a game without hitstun scaling or anything like that.

Does pushblock have any effect on blockstun, as it does in some other games?

It's Marvel 2, but slightly changed. Pushblock initiates a 22 frame animation, during which any attacks that connect (A) stop all the backwards momentum from the opponent being pushed away, (B) do only yellow life as chip damage, and (C) do 25% blockstun.

So, what that means is that you can pushblock to give yourself a third of a second of extended blockstun to make yourself crossup and throw-proof, OR you can pushblock the second-to-last hit of a blockstring to soak the blockstun of the last hit and make it super punishable. This is how you were able to punish Hyper Sentinel Force in MvC2.

• Locked thread