Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
BOTH VERSIONS PATCHED NOW

DLC CHARACTERS COMING STARTING IN JULY

PC BETA COMING THIS MONTH
FULL PC VERSION IN JULY HOPEFULLY

PATCH NOTES HERE http://skullgirls.com/2012/11/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes/

PS3 + 360 VERSIONS ARE OUT GOGOGOGOGO!!!!
PC RELEASE EVENTUALLY NO IDEA WHEN

What is Skullgirls?

Skullgirls is a team-based 2d fighting game in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom 2 that is being released on PSN and XBLA early this year.

Why should I care?

Because it's AWESOME! Here are a few interesting features that make Skullgirls unique and fun to play:

-Variable Team Sizes, meaning you can choose the size of your team: 1, 2, or 3 characters. The fewer characters you have, the more health and damage they have. However 1 character teams cannot call assists, tag, or DHC (more on those later).

-Custom Assists: Like the Marvel Vs Capcom series, you can call in your team members from offscreen to do an attack for you. However, unlike MvC where you select from pre-set assists for each character, in Skullgirls you can input any move you want, and that becomes the assist. Normals, special moves, throws, whatever you want.

-GGPO netcode, online middleware created by a fighting game player for fighting game players with the express purpose of eliminating input lag.

-Infinite Protection System or IPS: A system that is in place that recognizes if you are performing an infinite combo, and allows the other player to break out for free if you are. It isn't based on number of hits, the number of times you've used a move, or anything like that. The game actively checks your combo to see if you are looping a set of moves repeatedly.

-Awesome, hand-drawn 2d art: Rather than going the 2.5d route like Street Fighter 4 or Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Skullgirls uses all meticulously hand-drawn 2d art, allowing for crazier and more intricate animations that just aren't possible with 3d models.

Here's some videos:

Dacidbro (Painwheel) vs Mike Z (Cerebella)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtNUYmmZD8

Chilldog (That's me!) vs Jayford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiKwnJAdTE

So that's what's new with Skullgirls, and now I'm gonna go over a few gameplay systems that make Skullgirls tick.

Assists as mentioned before, are calling in your benched characters to attack for you. These give you better screen control and offensive potential, as well as creating opportunities for team synergy.

Supers are the most powerful attacks your character can do. Each character has two level 1 supers that cost one meter each, and one level 3 super that costs 3 meters. You can hold at max 5 meters, and you start each round with 1.

DHCs or delayed hyper combos are where you do a super with your first character, and then cancel it into a super with your second character (and optionally cancel that into your third character as well.) This greatly increases damage potential for 2 and 3 character teams, and allows you to switch characters more safely than raw tagging.

Raw Tagging is where you swap out your current point character for one of the characters you have benched. This is the only way to swap characters without spending any meter. You might consider doing this if your point character is almost dead and you want to save them. In Skullgirls, every character has a different raw tag entrance, however if your opponent is expecting it they can punish you if they block your tag.

Alpha Counters, also called team variable counters, is where you block a move and press forward + tag. This automatically switches out your point character, and your assist character quickly switches in and performs their assist. Alpha counters are extremely useful for safely switching out characters, as well as saving a character that is about to be chipped to death. Alpha counters cost 1 meter.

Those are just some of the basic gameplay mechanics in Skullgirls. If you are new to fighting games or just want to expand your knowledge of the genre, I recommend you check out the SA Fighting Game Thread which has an awesome OP with a ton of information on how these types of games work. I also highly recommend the Skullgirls SRK Wiki which has a lot of in-depth info on Skullgirls and its characters. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the game here, and I'm sure I or someone else will be able to help you out.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Characters

Filia

Filia is a rushdown character through-and-through. She is a high schooler who one day woke up with a parasite named Samson stuck to her head, and no knowledge of her past. Samson can transform into many different creatures and items, and uses these transformations to help Filia fight. Filia is extremely fast, particularly in the air, and plays a lot like Magneto from MvC2, with a little SF2 Ryu thrown in as well.

Cerebella

Cerebella is a grappler character, kind of like Zangief from SF or Iron Tager from BlazBlue. Unlike those characters, however, she can move very fast and has a variety of useful movement options. Cerebella is a circus performer with ties to the mafia. She uses her Living Weapon hat, Vice-Versa, to perform feats of acrobatics, and to rough up anyone who crosses the Medici crime family. She uses Vice-Versa's massive arms for most of her attacks and throws, and she can also use them to glide through the air for a short time. Cerebella is a highly damaging character, and if she is played on a solo team she can decimate other teams extremely quickly once she gets in.

Peacock

Peacock is a young girl who loves cartoons, and was transformed by the Anti-Skullgirl Labs into a biomechanical tool of destruction. She uses a wide variety of weapons and robotic friends, like her mechanical bird Avery, to massacre opponents from afar. She is primarily a keepaway character, using projectiles and traps to hold the other player at bay. Up close she has a few options, but her movement is very slow and her normal moves don't have much range, which means that she works best with a close-range assist backing her up. Her humorous personality and wide variety of pop-culture references make her a fan favorite.

Parasoul

Parasoul is a well-rounded character that has quick normals with very good range and powerful projectiles. She is the crown princess of the Canopy Kingdom, and commands the kingdom's military forces. She can call in soldiers to perform attacks for her, or to act as bodyguards. She wields a living umbrella named Krieg that can hurl napalm at the opponent. She can lay napalm traps on the screen, limiting the opponent's movement and giving her the opportunity to set up her potent close-range mixups. Parasoul is considered by some (myself included) to be the best solo team character.

Ms Fortune

Ms Fortune is a CAT burglar (get it) who stole an item called the Life Gem from the Medici mafia. The life gem has made her undying, which allowed her to survive being cut into many pieces in retribution for her crime. Now she can use her detachable body parts to fight, allowing her to stretch her limbs to have longer range, spray blood out of her legs to propel herself forward, and even remove her head and use it to attack from afar. She can leave her head anywhere on stage, and use it to apply pressure from wherever she moves it to.

Painwheel

Painwheel is a young girl who was captured by Anti-Skullgirl Labs and turned into a monster. She is infused with Skullgirl blood, and she has a large blade wheel fused to her spine. She can use this wheel to attack, and she can also spin it to fly around like a helicopter. The more pain Painwheel is in the stronger she becomes, so a lot of her attacks have her contorting herself in unpleasant ways to damage the opponent. She can also charge up many of her attacks, and absorb damage the opponent inflicts to deal it back to them. Her fast fly speed makes her play somewhat like MvC2 sentinel, and her armored normals are kind of like The Incredible Hulk or Juggernaut.

Valentine

Valentine is a former employee of Anti-Skullgirl Labs, and she is very evil. She attacks with a variety of medical equipment like bonesaws, poisoned hypodermic needles, defibrillators, and IV stands. She is very quick on the ground, and is inspired by ninja-like characters such as Strider or Ibuki with her kunai throws and izuna drops.

Double

Double is a shapeshifting abomination. Normally she looks like a pulsating blob of assorted body parts, but she can turn herself into anyone she wants on a whim. She has several attacks that are stolen from other characters, and some that are new to the game, and others that are based on stolen moves, but have different properties and effects.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 1, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I was hoping the thread would be titled "Marvel vs. Capcom 2.5"

Why you should care about this game:
  • It will teach you how to play.

Unlike some other recent fighters, rather than make you go through obscure challenge modes filled with slot machines or outright give you a mode that lets you mash, Skullgirls will have a comprehensive Tutorial Mode. It'll teach you how to block, what a mixup is, what cancels are, the works. It also has a practice room designed to assist your learning of the game as much as possible.

• It makes sense, mechanically.

Skullgirls has a combo system that shares the physics of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the most part, except it removes the (mostly cosmetic) infinite preventers from MvC2 and replaces them with more sensible, more predictable ones. Hear me out.

So, Marvel 2 had a pair of infinite prevention systems. The first was that the opponent would fall downward faster the longer a combo went, and the second was that the opponent would flip out of a combo after 50 normal hits. A lot of games nowadays also have infinite prevention systems, and they're just as wonky and hard to measure, like hitstun deterioration.

The problem with those things is that too many rules are hidden from the player. Combos work until they just... don't. It's hard to tell whether or not something is dropped because you hosed up the input or if the game simply deems it impossible. It's even worse in Blazblue, where the timing of your button presses determines when an opponent flips out of your combo 10 hits down the line.

Skullgirls has its own infinite prevention which doesn't gently caress with your physics. Instead, it reads your controller and watches for repeated inputs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc8ByDrovo0

Upon detection of a certain degree of repetition, it gives the opponent the opportunity to burst out of the combo for free.

This way, you can write a combo down on paper and know it'll work ingame without things like gravity or hitstun scaling getting in your way.

• The designers are going out of their way to address problems with current fighters.

In every version of Street Fighter 4, to fix your controls you have to scroll through a menu and individually select each button via scrolling through a list of controller buttons left to right, one at a time. In Mortal Kombat 9, you have to do the same thing in an external options menu at the main screen, map it to a macro, and then in-fight access that macro through the options menu.

In Skullgirls, you press the goddamn buttons. As in, it says, "What button do you want for light punch?" and you press X. And this feature is available at the character select screen, so there's no need to go into a match, do a straight minute of loving with settings, and then another minute of testing out those settings. It's such a blatantly obvious solution to an obnoxious problem that we can only assume the other companies are being knowingly malicious.

Also, if you hit start or Home during a fight by accident, it won't pause. You have to hold the button down for a third of a second.

Additionally, if you're playing a grappler character with a 360 move, doing a 360 won't make you jump (the game knows when you're trying to input the move).

And there's an indicator on top of the screen that tells you who has the life lead, making time-over wins less of a guessing game and more of an actual strategy.

• It doesn't have comeback mechanics.

Skullgirls is literally the only fighting game of this generation other than King of Fighters 13 that doesn't have a comeback mechanic.

No more pandering to whiny babies. No beating somebody for 2 minutes straight only for them to pop X-Factor/Ultra and be rewarded for losing. If you're new to the game, there is a mode that teaches you how to play.

• It's not just girls.

While the game intends to reverse the gender ratio of fighting games, that means we should be seing like 10% of the cast as male. And the men are pretty awesome. And will supposedly have swinging/bouncing junk physics.

(Big Band, Le Duc, Panzerfaust)

• The soundtrack is by Michiru Yamane.

Yes, the soundtrack to the game is being done by the Castlevania composer. There will also be an OST available for purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgOvyEAqME

• You don't have to use a team if you don't want to.

As seen in the IPS video, you can choose as many people (or cybernetic Dot Warners) for your team between 1 and 3 as you like. This makes each individual character stronger or weaker depending on the options you have.

A fight with 1 character vs. 1 character switches to Street Fighter-style 2 rounds out of 3. No joke.

• (placeholder for more)

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 4, 2012

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited
Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I was watching a stream of this during SCR and my girlfriend was watching over my shoulder and asked why there are so many panty shots. It was embarrassing and I was wondering if they're going to tone that down for release, or is "anime underpants" the artistic motif they're sticking with? It's a shame too because mechanically, it looks like a really solid fighting game.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

The Hater posted:

Mine is the one that looks like hot topic/suicide girls both vomited into a jar.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher

Broken Loose posted:

I was hoping the thread would be titled "Marvel vs. Capcom 2.5"

Why? Skullgirls will not include a lot of things that made MvC2 so awesome (broken rear end combos, massive roster, crazy screen-filling attacks, etc)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fishmonkey posted:

Why? Skullgirls will not include a lot of things that made MvC2 so awesome (broken rear end combos, massive roster, crazy screen-filling attacks, etc)

It has the team fighting, the physics, a lot of the characters are direct analogues to Marvel 2 characters (Filia = Magneto, Painwheel = Sentinel, Peacock = Cable, Parasoul = BB Hood + Storm, etc), and it was designed by a Marvel 2 top player for Marvel 2 players. All the Marvel 2 players who have played it so far have called it the Second Coming.

It has the lengthy combos you desire, but they're not infinite and require more finesse than just jump LP LP LK HP ad nauseum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmoqIYzba38

The only things that got cut from Marvel 2 are the bad things. A big roster isn't a good thing when it's bloated and full of copy/pastes (Why pick Rogue when you can pick Magneto? Why pick Ryu when you can pick Akuma? Why pick Zangief when you can pick Colossus? Literally 85% of the cast is a worse version of one of the top 10 characters). The big supers are still there (see: Cyber Peacock and Egrets Assemble) but they're not covered by so many rainbows you can't see the characters. There are still superjumps but the height is lower so you don't obscure your opponent's view of their character.

It's the same game, mostly, but less broken.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Hater posted:

I like Cerebella, thank you for asking.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the character section and added some match videos to the OP.

The Hater posted:

Painwheel.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
gently caress the haters, this game is going to own. I don't even give a drat about the blatant sex appeal; I'd still buy this game if every character looked like Woody Allen. The mechanics are what make this game worthwhile.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jmcrofts posted:

The 8th character has not been announced yet, but I'll update this as soon as they are. Feel free to speculate in this thread in the mean time I guess!

It's Bloody Marie what's there to speculate?!

edit: also my favorite skullgirl is not in the game yet :|

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
MvC2's infinite prevention is not "mostly cosmetic" at all.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
My favourite skullgirl is Panzerfaust.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cerebella and Valentine are the main ones I'm interested in, but I have no idea whether they'll actually work well teamed together, not that it really matters at my crappy level. I wish I had more information on Valentine other than what's in the OP and that she looks like she has some Frank West normals.

Also KOF 13 does sort of have comeback mechanics, but not on the same level as ultra combos or x factor. But that's not what this thread is about.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

chumbler posted:

Cerebella and Valentine are the main ones I'm interested in, but I have no idea whether they'll actually work well teamed together, not that it really matters at my crappy level. I wish I had more information on Valentine other than what's in the OP and that she looks like she has some Frank West normals.

Also KOF 13 does sort of have comeback mechanics, but not on the same level as ultra combos or x factor. But that's not what this thread is about.

I have a feeling that team compositions are going to be very loose in this game, simply because every character has approximately infinity-billion possible assists, so you'll almost definitely find something that covers the others' weaknesses.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can see some valentine play in this video and a couple others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTkNKi5epc

Also, if any midwest goons are gonna be at Frosty Faustings this saturday in Chicago, I'm gonna be there and so is Skullgirls.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

AXE COP posted:

Make Big Band DLC, I will throw sacks of money at Reverge for it.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Looks fun, but I suck at these types of games :(

Wasn't there some big stink about this game recently? A group being offended or something.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Countblanc posted:

I have a feeling that team compositions are going to be very loose in this game, simply because every character has approximately infinity-billion possible assists, so you'll almost definitely find something that covers the others' weaknesses.

Cerebella's spinny arms thing that looks like Orbital Grudge seems really popular as an assist though, I reckon it'll be a staple since it locks down for so long.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JammyLammy posted:

Wasn't there some big stink about this game recently? A group being offended or something.

I don't recall any specific entity/organization being offended, but it's not exactly difficult to see what might bother some people about the game (honestly I'm one of said people). However it's one of those things that isn't really any worse than the options presented by other companies - it's harrowing when Arcana Heart 3 has some of the least sexualized women in fight games - and the game itself looks solid so I'm personally looking past that and am excited to play it. I don't think that excuses those issues and wouldn't fault someone for having problems with it, but I also think it's been discussed a great deal in the main FG thread and there's a thread specifically for such issues, so those might be better places to continue that sort of thing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Hater posted:

Parasoul for sure. She has so many homages to classic fighting games in her moveset, and I just think she looks all-round solid.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'm hype for this game. Out of curiosity, does this game have wavedashing?

My favorite skullgirl is Ms. Fortune. I love the head removal mechanic and her win animation, and I guess it's nice to have a cat thing that doesn't act like Felicia. Felicia is the worst character in any fighting game ever, don't let James Chen tell you otherwise. :colbert:

As far as play styles go, I'd probably pick Cerebella because holy poo poo, a fast grappler character.

E:

AXE COP posted:

If we're gonna do unreleased ones, it's the big saxophone dude.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 4, 2012

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

The Hater posted:

ms fourtune b.c her head makes the 'take it easy' face

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
Like the idea of a cheap well-made hardcore fighting game, dislike the focus on anime girls.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm hype for this game. Out of curiosity, does this game have wavedashing?

Yes. However Parasoul, Painwheel, and Cerebella cannot wavedash as they can't crouch-cancel their dashes.

You can also hold forward during a dash to run (the aforementioned characters also cannot run).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sleeps-chan posted:

ms fourtune b.c her head makes the 'take it easy' face

Peacock shoots out a yukkuri for one of her attacks

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I can't wait for this game to come out I've been looking forward to this game for a long time now.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

JammyLammy posted:

Countblanc posted:

I don't recall any specific entity/organization being offended, but it's not exactly difficult to see what might bother some people about the game (honestly I'm one of said people). However it's one of those things that isn't really any worse than the options presented by other companies - it's harrowing when Arcana Heart 3 has some of the least sexualized women in fight games - and the game itself looks solid so I'm personally looking past that and am excited to play it. I don't think that excuses those issues and wouldn't fault someone for having problems with it, but I also think it's been discussed a great deal in the main FG thread and there's a thread specifically for such issues, so those might be better places to continue that sort of thing.

In addition to this, there's this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-skullgirls-artist-responds-to-sexism-controversy

Where a designer responds to the criticism in basically the same way one would defend a racist joke with "some of my best friends are black".

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ChewyLSB posted:

In addition to this, there's this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-skullgirls-artist-responds-to-sexism-controversy

Where a designer responds to the criticism in basically the same way one would defend a racist joke with "some of my best friends are black".

He's not a designer. He was a random PR dude, the quote was taken way out of context, and Eurogamer can't even get the facts straight enough to know that Peter isn't even a programmer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Cerabella's grab super a 720

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Broken Loose posted:

He's not a designer. He was a random PR dude, the quote was taken way out of context, and Eurogamer can't even get the facts straight enough to know that Peter isn't even a programmer.

What is the correct context, then? I'm legitimately curious, I haven't really followed the issue that much besides what I've heard off hand.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Is Cerabella's grab super a 720

No it's a 360.

Side note, all moves that are throws are done with the throw input (lp+lk).

Cerebella's regular command throw is qcf+throw. Her anti-air throw is DP+throw. Her air command throw is qcf+throw in the air, and her super throw is 360+throw.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

Cerebella's regular command throw is qcf+throw. Her anti-air throw is DP+throw. Her air command throw is qcf+throw in the air, and her super throw is 360+throw.

Whoa, that's cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My favorite Skullgirl is the one made specifically to masturbate over, she fits extremely well with my basement decor and Cheeto-themed furniture.

In all seriousness, I think I'd want to play the game a lot more if it wasn't as ridiculous as it seems based on those character profiles.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
As I understand it the release cast of 8 is not all the characters we're expecting to see, there is a DLC schedule (not visible to us, but there appears to be plans for it) to expand the roster to keep the game constantly moving forward. Whether or not that forthcoming DLC is going to include male characters is also up for speculation (like a majority of this game is)!

Skullgirls also features a soundtrack done by Michiru Yamane, whose previous work consists numerous Castlevania games, a couple of Suikoden games, and more besides.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

No it's a 360.

Holy poo poo, hallelujah, a grappler character with a QCF throw input. Definitely picking Cerebella.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The button config sounds great, I'd really like to see it give a conformation code unique to each configuration so that you can hammer out your buttons as fast as possible and be confidant that you'd input it properly with just a quick glance.

I'll probably play Peacock and Cerebella, but I'm hoping the 8th character really jumps out at me because none of the characters so far really have (though I imagine a character or two will grow on me once I get a chance to actually play the game).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aldantefax posted:

Whether or not that forthcoming DLC is going to include male characters is also up for speculation (like a majority of this game is)!

There will be dudes as DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Really looking forward to the game. I just hope the team balance feature pans out because I am mostly looking forward to playing either a duo team, or a solo character. I don't have much interest in a team of 3.

• Locked thread