Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Will/Does this play well on a pad, or is it a stick game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

No, this is Skullgirls discussion so it goes in the Skullgirls thread.
But so often it's simply used as a launchpad to talking about sexism in fighting games and video games in general. It very rarely focuses on the game itself. Every time this debate has erupted, people almost immediately go off topic and start personally attacking each other/accusing each other of being paedophiles.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Saint Freak posted:

It's pretty similar to MvC2/3, mostly 2 so whatever you prefer for that.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

Saint Freak posted:

it is 6 buttons, if that is your deciding factor

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cat Machine posted:

But so often it's simply used as a launchpad to talking about sexism in fighting games and video games in general. It very rarely focuses on the game itself. Every time this debate has erupted, people almost immediately go off topic and start personally attacking each other/accusing each other of being paedophiles.

That last one's only a problem if you don't believe that everyone is a pedophile. Because they are. Everyone is. Even your mother. Even you. But not me. I'm not. Cause I'm the only not-crazy one. I'm not crazy. Why are you calling me crazy? I'm not crazy.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

NecroMonster posted:

The game isn't immature, as maturity isn't a thing that actually exists.

I don't think that argument will hold up when you bring home someone from the bar and try to explain why having a bunch of Sailor Moon wall scrolls shouldn't deter them from having sex with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saint Freak posted:

As people said, it's a six-button game, but it seems like it will be pretty pad-friendly regardless. I don't know how tight the inputs are, other than the man Chilldog himself not being able to do a DP on a pad during a WNF - c'mon, dude -, but I'll wager they aren't painfully tight like KoF. So we should be fine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

big duck equals goose posted:

I don't think that argument will hold up when you bring home someone from the bar and try to explain why having a bunch of Sailor Moon wall scrolls shouldn't deter them from having sex with you.

That's the metric in which I decide what to enjoy, what people at the bars will like.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

See, this is what I'm talking about above. What does this have to do with Skullgirls?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dias posted:

As people said, it's a six-button game, but it seems like it will be pretty pad-friendly regardless. I don't know how tight the inputs are, other than the man Chilldog himself not being able to do a DP on a pad during a WNF - c'mon, dude -, but I'll wager they aren't painfully tight like KoF. So we should be fine.

If they're as easy as MvC3 I'm fine. The new black 360 d-pads are a huge improvement over the old white ones.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

To clarify - KoF13 has many input shortcuts to make doing some sequences of moves easier, but it has very little input leniency (a la SF4). Do we know what the situation is for Skullgirls?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm so goddamned excited for this game. I just adore the art and animation. It's got that perfect blend of anime (which I don't care much for) and Tex Avery cartoons (which I love).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

UltraDavid backed me up on that, the pad was hosed up. YOU ALL HEARD IT.

Mike Z is going out of his way to make sure this game is pad-friendly, and is trying to make setting button macros and stuff as easy and useful as possible. He's also been consulting with MvC2 and 3 tourney player Fanatiq (who plays on pad) to get his advice. I've played it pretty extensively on a 360 pad and have been able to do all the stuff I need to do just fine.

E:

quote:

To clarify - KoF13 has many input shortcuts to make doing some sequences of moves easier, but it has very little input leniency (a la SF4). Do we know what the situation is for Skullgirls?

The game has some input leniency, more than the SF2 series, but less than the SF4 series. If you've played SF3: Third Strike, the input leniency is just about what it was there.

There are also some tricks being used to make inputs more user-friendly. There are input buffers during jumps and airdashes that make it so you can do instant airdash attacks as low as possible off the ground without having to time it perfectly. Same goes for flying attacks with Painwheel. Also, there is a script that detects if you are doing a 360 motion, and if you are it prevents you from jumping. That way you can easily do Cerebella's 360 super raw without jumping.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 4, 2012

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm not interested in wasting my time on arguments that you'll never understand, but, "maturity" is an outdated social construct, in the same way that gender roles are, and is largely a tool of control over a population, primarily wielded as a tool of the Patriarchy. Now, if you'd like to argue ceaselessly over first principles, might I suggest you head over to Debate and Discussion?

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This game looks pretty cool gameplay-wise but the character designs look like they jumped right out of some teenager's Deviantart. What's with the movie motif, is that relevant to the game/plot in some way or did they just think it was something neat to put in?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not interested in wasting my time on arguments that you'll never understand, but, "maturity" is an outdated social construct, in the same way that gender roles are, and is largely a tool of control over a population, primarily wielded as a tool of the Patriarchy. Now, if you'd like to argue ceaselessly over first principles, might I suggest you head over to Debate and Discourse?

:goonsay:

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm so goddamned excited for this game. I just adore the art and animation. It's got that perfect blend of anime (which I don't care much for) and Tex Avery cartoons (which I love).

What? I can kinda see the Tex on one fighter with the cartoon theme, but that is it. The rest kinda seems like straight anime to me. I guess with all the prettty gurlies you can put a tiny bit of John Kricfalusi in there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

This game looks pretty cool gameplay-wise but the character designs look like they jumped right out of some teenager's Deviantart. What's with the movie motif, is that relevant to the game/plot in some way or did they just think it was something neat to put in?

It's not directly plot-related, just an overarching theme. For example, supers are referred to in-game as Blockbuster Moves and DHCs are Ensemble Attacks, and other stuff like that. It's meant to fit in with the art deco/golden age of cinema motif.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

What? I can kinda see the Tex on one fighter with the cartoon theme, but that is it. The rest kinda seems like straight anime to me. I guess with all the prettty gurlies you can put a tiny bit of John Kricfalusi in there.

The reason you can't see it is because you're a huge idiot noob.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Amazing rebuttal.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Skullgirls will probably be one of the best FG of 2012, and if you don't believe that... die, just die.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Will the Boss (Currently assuming it's going to be Parasoul's Mother the Skullgirl but hey it could be one of the guys or Powered Up Skullgirl Mode <Random Other Playable Character>) be a playable character? Unlockable? Secret code? Laughably overpowered, or will a playable version be normal strength? How SNK Hellboss are you planning on making it?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Niddhogg posted:

Amazing rebuttal.

No, you see, my new avatar was the real punch behind his post. Now everyone will know that I pissed someone off. And if they check my post history they'll see how.

I've been owned forever.

Social sciences = Aspergers. You've heard it here folks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

No, you see, my new avatar was the real punch behind his post. Now everyone will know that I pissed someone off. And if they check my post history they'll see how.

I've been owned forever.

Social sciences = Aspergers. You've heard it here folks.

I liked the part where the dude who quoted you is hiding behind a feigned air of feminism when in reality he clearly is just terrified of people thinking he's a weirdo, and also has an avatar from a comic where the protagonist engaged in "justified rape." :D

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

The reason you can't see it is because you're a huge idiot noob.

Here is a Tex cartoon

Here is Skullgirls.

:confused: I guess I just don't see it?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I liked the part where the dude who quoted you is hiding behind a feigned air of feminism when in reality he clearly is just terrified of people thinking he's a weirdo, and also has an avatar from a comic where the protagonist engaged in "justified rape." :D

Oh, I noticed, why do you think I felt the need to mention the connection between the machines of social conformity and Patriarchy.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Countblanc posted:

He also used autism as a pejorative.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wonder if he'll call me a human being next?

Lord Hoboslayer
Dec 8, 2010

Here is a Tex cartoon

Here is Skullgirls.

What's the timestamp on the 15-year-old webcomic panties? Are you sure this is Tex Avery?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jmcrofts posted:

The game has some input leniency, more than the SF2 series, but less than the SF4 series. If you've played SF3: Third Strike, the input leniency is just about what it was there.

There are also some tricks being used to make inputs more user-friendly. There are input buffers during jumps and airdashes that make it so you can do instant airdash attacks as low as possible off the ground without having to time it perfectly. Same goes for flying attacks with Painwheel. Also, there is a script that detects if you are doing a 360 motion, and if you are it prevents you from jumping. That way you can easily do Cerebella's 360 super raw without jumping.

This is awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Archenteron posted:

Will the Boss (Currently assuming it's going to be Parasoul's Mother the Skullgirl but hey it could be one of the guys or Powered Up Skullgirl Mode <Random Other Playable Character>) be a playable character? Unlockable? Secret code? Laughably overpowered, or will a playable version be normal strength? How SNK Hellboss are you planning on making it?

I'm hoping it's something like SNK's mid-nineties game where the boss is completely insane but has a toned down/different version you can use in versus like non-Omega Rugal in '98 or King Lion in Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Jmcrofts posted:

I love everything I'm hearing so far. I wasn't really thinking much of playing Cerebella, but having QCF + DP command throws and the 360 motion aid is great. So much of this stuff really should become a standard.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Let me put it this way:

I'm excited for the game and will buy it. But I'm extremely glad I won't have to look a real human in the eye and hand them the box to scan.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Will this have a pc release? I really cannot see a company working hard to make this viable on an ipad (...really? I mean, really?) and not port it on to steam or something.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Will this have a pc release? I really cannot see a company working hard to make this viable on an ipad (...really? I mean, really?) and not port it on to steam or something.
Yes, but it won't be concurrent with the console release iirc

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Where did you hear about an iPad release?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here is a Tex cartoon

Here is Skullgirls.

Here's a better comparison.

Tex Avery girl
Skullgirl

The big comparison comes from the over exaggerated proportions and the eyes just a bit. Anime on the other hand has more realistic proportions except for in the face. If you need more comparisons and sources, I'd be happy to provide. I just love talking about animation and character design.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Oh god, I didn't mean to ruin the thread with that one post. Sorry OP for bringing that up, I was just curious :(

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Broken Loose posted:

Where did you hear about an iPad release?

Top of this page, a string of posts talk about pad controls. Maybe it's not specifically iPad.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Top of this page, a string of posts talk about pad controls. Maybe it's not specifically iPad.

The guys talking about pads are referring to what you probably know better as controllers, not iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Pad means gamepad, as in the standard 360 or PS3 controller. By "pad controls" they mean how playable the game will be on a gamepad compared to an arcade stick.

• Locked thread