Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'm hype for this game. Out of curiosity, does this game have wavedashing?

My favorite skullgirl is Ms. Fortune. I love the head removal mechanic and her win animation, and I guess it's nice to have a cat thing that doesn't act like Felicia. Felicia is the worst character in any fighting game ever, don't let James Chen tell you otherwise. :colbert:

As far as play styles go, I'd probably pick Cerebella because holy poo poo, a fast grappler character.

E:

AXE COP posted:

My favourite skullgirl is Panzerfaust.

If we're gonna do unreleased ones, it's the big saxophone dude.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

No it's a 360.

Side note, all moves that are throws are done with the throw input (lp+lk).

Cerebella's regular command throw is qcf+throw. Her anti-air throw is DP+throw. Her air command throw is qcf+throw in the air, and her super throw is 360+throw.

Holy poo poo, hallelujah, a grappler character with a QCF throw input. Definitely picking Cerebella.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

Oh please, it's at least as valid as story discussion which I'm sure you'll begrudgingly tolerate.

Can we not do this? Thanks.

vvvv Also this.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

It's specifically to ghettoize discussion so sperglord nerds who can't handle such topics being discussed without going into an indignant privileged rage about it don't have their forum posting experience upset, yeah.

Shut Up Gamest Mook.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I understand that there's a time and place for these discussions, but it does really seem pretty bad when the second somebody brings it up, someone goes "Nope, there's a separate thread for this discussion". I mean, this is the Skullgirls thread. If you want it to be the thread for discussing Skullgirls gameplay only, then make it the Skullgirls gameplay only thread.

That's kind of what we were hoping for, seeing as mentioning sexism in Games is a great way to start a dumb shouting argument that nobody ever wins.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dias posted:

As people said, it's a six-button game, but it seems like it will be pretty pad-friendly regardless. I don't know how tight the inputs are, other than the man Chilldog himself not being able to do a DP on a pad during a WNF - c'mon, dude -, but I'll wager they aren't painfully tight like KoF. So we should be fine.

If they're as easy as MvC3 I'm fine. The new black 360 d-pads are a huge improvement over the old white ones.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

There are also some tricks being used to make inputs more user-friendly. There are input buffers during jumps and airdashes that make it so you can do instant airdash attacks as low as possible off the ground without having to time it perfectly. Same goes for flying attacks with Painwheel. Also, there is a script that detects if you are doing a 360 motion, and if you are it prevents you from jumping. That way you can easily do Cerebella's 360 super raw without jumping.

Can the 360 detector misfire when trying to TK air moves?

vvvv Cool. Just gotta not be so sloppy with my inputs then.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 5, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

I was an intern at Reverge over the summer, and now I take the game to tournaments and other events whenever I get the chance in between college stuff.

I'd kill to have been an intern over there. Where is Reverge based?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

Marina Del Rey, kind of near Santa Monica.

That's nowhere near Wisconsin! Oh well v:shobon:v

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

emoticon posted:

You should try Human Head or Raven.

Sweet, I just discovered that Marvel Ultimate Alliance is from Wisconsin. :cool:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

flatluigi posted:

So are all these characters in the game?

And I Must Scream is creeping me out majorly. Gonna play as her. "Her"?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I actually remember hearing I Must Scream is the in-game explanation for Mirror Matches, have absolutely no idea if that's true or not.

Kind of like Darkstalkers 3, except not as an actual character? That's kind of neat, but they'd have to be generic monsters so that you could have a team of three of them.

I'd still want to play it as an actual character though, because it owns.

Jmcrofts posted:

The team is trying very hard to make the game accessible to people who aren't hardcore FG players. There's a really in-depth tutorial system that teaches you different aspects of the game, from movement to defense to mixups, and a bunch of other stuff. I got my roommate, who has basically 0 experience in fighting games to run through the tutorials, and according to him he had a great time and learned some valuable stuff about the genre.

The single-player modes are pretty legit actually, there is a story mode for each character as well as an arcade mode that's pretty much what you would expect. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about, but I think people will really enjoy the story exposition in the single player.

I gotta say I'm impressed at what you guys did with the tutorial mode. The fighting game genre's been around for 15-ish years and maybe three of them even so much as skimmed on any game strategy, instead only giving a move list and combo practice modes. It's particularly hard to understand either, just nobody ever bothered to try teaching it. TF2 has a better tutorial mode than most fighting games, and that's saying something.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 5, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Fayk posted:

edit: Oh, for custom assists, can they be set to (ha!) supers? If you have meter, I mean. Gimmicks!

This was possible early on, but it turned out being kind of broken in that nobody used anything but them.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Liar Lyre posted:

Speaking of damage and health, everyone in Skullgirls will have the same base health. Yes, the huge dude with a tank fist has as much endurance as a little girl win an umbrella.

Is this true? That seems really weird not to have varying health meters. Or are there varied attack/defense ratings like AH3?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Mr. Fun posted:

KoF has equalized health and its nice to be able to remember combos as health percentage.

I was just thinking about that, and how it's actually kind of dumb that you would balance a character around needing to be hit more times to die. Like, a character's so bad that they need extra chances to stay alive. See half of the fighting game grapplers out there.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jetpack Postman posted:

On the topic of tournaments, speak of the devil: GameTrailers has the Grand Finals from SoCal Regionals, since apparently there was a Skullgirls tournament there. I'm not familiar with who is playing, but it's 23 minutes and change of tournament play in HD, so there you go.

This game looks amazing in 60 fps, but the audio desyncs really badly even before the five minute mark.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

You're tearing us apart! :haw:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Monolith. posted:

The game looks pretty neat but the sword stab move by the girl with the huge arms looks kind of broken with all the health it takes off.

The reason it does so much damage is because it's a super throw. You can't combo into it, which means you just have to do the super raw, which is extremely punishable if you miss. Your opponent also has to be on the ground. You can jump to avoid it if you're not doing anything. You'd use it when your opponent's playing defensively and guarding too much. It also doesn't work while blocking other hits, so you can't get free damage off of a blocked assist.

Now, a broken move would be one that allows you to instantly go full screen and randomly cross up (move to the other side of) your opponent while being completely invincible, making it almost impossible to know which way to block, which could be done free from anywhere. That exists in another game, by the way.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 10, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Which one is that?

Wolverine's Berserker Slash in vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3. He was by far the most braindead-easy character to play well because all you had to do was call an assist and do the move over and over, and when you inevitably got a free hit in, the assist would let you convert it into a touch of death combo. If it was blocked, the assist would make it safe. It went straight through projectiles and attacks until Wolverine did the slash at the end too, so you usually couldn't punish it if you predicted it. They nerfed this hard in Ultimate MvC3 so it's no longer invincible during the running part of the move.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 10, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

all links will really do is make you trigger IPS faster.

How so?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I thought it was keeping track of series of moves, e.g. if you link lk into mk you can't do it again or it'll trigger IPS.

Although come to think of it that's at least 36 permutations anyway so you'd still eventually get kill combos or something.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 11, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
What does Peacock say during her laser super? I have literally no idea.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Okay, thank you. I was trying to figure out what Ivan LeVargeg was or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

SpaceBees posted:

Do Parasoul's napalm tears have a set duration or do they just stay on screen until you detonate them?

Whichever comes first. You can detonate them with her charge down/up move (Napalm Pillar), if they're shot by another tear, or after a few seconds.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brother Entropy posted:

Nah, there's a part in this match where Parasoul spams Napalm Shot for like 10 seconds straight and the Peacock player has no idea what to do.

Hahaha, I just noticed that one of Peacock's win quotes against Parasoul is "You're not bad, you're just drawn badly."

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Countblanc posted:

I'd like them to do what Bloodline Champions (eventually) did with its units, and allow you to play every class in single player so you know precisely how they work, but not online or in versus mode. Especially since they expect you to pay money for them, I'd like to know what I'm getting first. And I mean we'll all have to download them anyway in case we play against them online so the files are there already. Make it happen.

I don't know, I've always hated this pay model. You don't get to use your character outside of training mode if you don't pay $5 a pop for them? That always came across to me as really scummy. It'd be like paying for individual chess pieces or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Countblanc posted:

I'm working under the assumption we'll have to buy individual characters, which all signs have pointed to.

I don't mind if the game already has 8 characters and you can buy more as DLC as they come out, but I hate the DotA-like trend of making you pay for every single one of the characters to use them. Especially the ones where they rotate out which ones are free on a cycle, so you can get the guy you were practicing as swiped out from under you unless you pay :10bux: or play 100 games to get them back. It's worse in those games because it's a team game where dying makes the enemy better more than just situationally. It'd be like if you were playing TF2 and woops, pay 5 dollars for medic to continue when your team needs one.

Plus, it's kind of hard to get a feel for which characters you like when you can only access a couple without spending like 60 dollars for all 12 characters or something.

But yeah, I'm fine with something like 8 characters, then $2.50 for each one after, and there aren't a ton of them because it's a fighting game.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 17, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Huh, the revival thing should be interesting. Good to see a five-meter super that's actually worth five meters for once and not something like 20 (lol Dark Phoenix).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
8th character is Raiden. Doesn't matter which Raiden.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

washow posted:

MGS Raiden....??

Smash Bros. has Snake, don't see why not. Could be shmup or KoF or MK or VOOT too, any Raiden works. VOOT's obviously the best one though. :colbert:

Or gently caress, throw in the original Japanese mythology Raiden.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 26, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
The only beefs I have are Parasoul's hitstun poses and Valentine's grabbed pose (or at least the one where she gets thrown by Parasoul). They both look really, really weird and don't really match what's going on.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Its character designs are also way cooler than AH3's. :colbert:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Doodle guy is the Peacock of AH3. :colbert:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Not sure about you, but I'm maining Gary Stu and Mr. Saxobeat (or Panzerfist, either is cool).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

kaujot posted:

I am apparently really dumb. What is Attract Mode?

It's an arcade thing. Basically the intro that plays while nobody's playing, to attract people to the machine.

e:f;b

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

Here's a video:

GameTrailers people walking through some skullgirls stuff with Mike Z. There should be more parts coming later, where they're gonna go in-depth with Valentine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0JSG7QJ-sw

E: oh yeah they talk about hitstun bars in this video which are a pretty big deal so watch if you're interested in that!

Oh man, I want to see more of this. Any way to see when more of these come without subscribing to every single Machinima video?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Endorph posted:

Peacock's hat for TF2 hat.

Cerebella hat for heavy. Also makes fists so that the fists on the hat swing at people instead of his regular fists. Right click to cera-copter. No random critical hits. :v:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
^^^^ Me neither, ha ha.

I'd guess Ms. Fortune would be closest to Slayer because she's got rekkas and an air dive super. No teleport though, and her command grab's way different. She's like a mix of him and Carl from BlazBlue.

Never mind, you should probably take Crofts' word for it.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 10, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Besides, I'd much prefer 3-character teams be overpowered than single characters. Full Marvel teams are more fun to watch, but it's nice that you don't have to learn three characters right off the bat to start playing or have to have additional characters just to be dead weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Any of you ever seen Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School? Ms. Fortune's got nothing on that poo poo. Even the title's a pun, and it's probably the best one in the entire movie.

That movie was painful even as a kid. I'd hate to watch it again.

• Locked thread