Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

One who is Rad posted:

I didn't know Valentine could revive dead characters, drat.

It's a level 5 super, you have to be over their body, and it only recovers 25% of their life. Far from useless, but not effortless to set up (thank god, burn in the flames, die).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also why does Valentine explode during that one super?

She makes a dummy of herself, because she's a ninja. Maybe.

You know, like how in Guilty Gear, Chipp does the same thing when he uses burst, only the dummy pops like a balloon and he reappears.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Munsun posted:

Why can't I download this game, somebody was lying to us all,,

Who is the 8th character? Squiggly or Marie or a new comer? I think I saw Mike post on srk that the character would have a more innovative dash mechanic than the previous characters.

I think it's almost certain at this point that it's Marie, because someone said that both boss characters would be playable as well. Valentine's one of them.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
poo poo, I thought that was tomorrow, so to speak. I always forget that after midnight is technically the next day.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Archenteron posted:

It's Double, they just showed a brief clip in the "On tonight's episode"

Holy poo poo, so much better than Marie.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Saint Freak posted:

Sexiest character to date. Just look at those...palm...tongue...hands.

drat, that is some Akira poo poo right there.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I love this games visuals, I find myself watching gameplay and pausing randomly to see the amazing detail going on, and when I saw this pause I had a laugh at how valentines proportions turned out:

That's her on her back apparently - oh god her legs :ohdear:

Note: I was not trying to peek at panties. You don't need to pause this game for those.

She's literally a sausage with underwear.

E: She looks like a dick in the thumbnail.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So, performing a combo that hits the primary fighter and their assist?

Exactly. You hear people call it that on streams a lot these days.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Yeah, Cross Assault is pretty bad. One more reason not to support Capcom in my opinion.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Killer Queen posted:

I'd pay $10 for a full Rockefeller commentary track for Skullgirls in a second. Please record this.

In the meantime, somebody mod Marvel 3 to replace hypegirl with sound clips from him.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
What about stuff involving Cerebella's level 3? That seems to just obliterate everything from what I've seen.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Evil Canadian posted:

I think most characters can get around the laser super for peacock if they properly block the first hit, usually to the tune of superjump-something.

Especially Parasoul, who can just have No. 13 snipe you or throw her guard into the bullets.

Blocked Argus Agony seems like a really bad idea.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Microsoft charges developers ridiculous prices to patch games. It's supposedly meant to keep them from releasing really buggy games and such, but on the other hand if it's a good game and needs more than one patch, small developers are hosed. This killed Monday Night Combat on XBLA, for instance.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Honestly if there's like 32 color switches (I remember seeing videos with 20+ color numbers) or something that's fine. It's way more than any other fighting game without a color edit mode has.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

mango sentinel posted:

Is there a way like BlazBlue we can just scroll through the pallettes?

Definitely. The button thing is just a shortcut, and it even lists which button combination will get you the color you selected on the scroll menu.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dizz posted:

Biggest loving cocktease.

They honestly don't know what their own release date is. They have to get it set up with Microsoft and Sony.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Is this game gonna get some pre-release hype? I don't want it to flop because everyone forgets about it when it comes out. (Psychonauts)

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

flatluigi posted:

Uh, there's been a huge amount of pre-release hype and Psychonauts is generally regarded as one of the best games of all time.

Yeah, but it was also a big commercial failure too. That's my point. :(

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I sure hope so. I know I will once I get my Xbox back. You know, as soon as my sister's done obsessing over my Christmas present, Skyrim. <:mad:>

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

It should be release ASAP, because I want to play it bad.

As tempting as that is I don't want this game to flop. An early release with nobody to play with would be absolutely terrible. Gotta make sure you don't release too close to SFxT.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Countblanc posted:

I'm less concerned about the release timing in relation to other fighters, and more about the marketing. The game needs a lot more stream time than it has gotten, and a lot more top players talking about it. It was brought up on the spooky stream last night and pretty much ignored after the token name drop. We need to have players that the average stream monster adores (Mike Ross, Combofiend, Spooky, etc) hyping the game up, just having it played at WNF off camera isn't going to be enough. We need to have Gootecks talking about how excited he is to be able to pick custom assists, and Arturo saying how fun Peacock is. It's silly, but it sure as gently caress worked for SFxT

This is what I was worried about when I said this:

PalmTreeFun posted:

Is this game gonna get some pre-release hype? I don't want it to flop because everyone forgets about it when it comes out. (Psychonauts)

This game really needs more hype before it actually releases so that all the fighting game players and stream monsters remember to jump on right away when the game releases. If extra exposure can do wonders for a game like SFxT I'd love to see what it could do for SG.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

washow posted:

Yeah I seriously wonder how many people even know about this game other than hardcore fg fans. Hope it does well.

DeviantArt. :suicide:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

MadRhetoric posted:

That's what happens when your main art designer is a DeviantART superstar.

Honestly you've reached peak DeviantArt when you can count at least 3 obese pictures of each character on the first page of search results for them. Well, almost. Just a little more furry and Sonic.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Groghammer posted:

New Friday Night Fights!

I guess Peacock's qcf+LP gun has more utility than I thought.

I noticed Parasoul's soldiers have voices now. I really like them.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wait, 36? Where did you get that number from? The squares on the character select screen?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dizz posted:

I'd spend infinity dollars on DLC that allows me to not only color in characters, but to edit their sprite animations as well. I can understand how people would basically use it for nude sprites but a goon can dream.

I can just imagine someone trolling online by turning all the characters into colored boxes or switching move animations.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I don't feel color mode is really important but it is kind of fun. It'd make all my characters iMac or Tron colors if I could.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Poniard posted:

They don't like fighting games either :ssh:

This will be a day one PC-release purchase for me. The way it was built around consoles with the brilliant framerate and control makes it seem so porting will be difficult. Normally I rag on console hardware but putting Skullgirls on a console is like putting an arcade fighting game right on the arcade machine hardware. It's amazing.

Also what I just said sounds retarded and is probably wrong.

Well, console hardware is actually kind of outdated. Unless you're running on an integrated graphics chip or something, any middle of the road computer would probably be able to run Skullgirls just fine.

If anything the issue would be the fact that keyboards are assholes and like to limit your number of simultaneous inputs. :argh:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

That's the coolest Painwheel stuff I've seen yet.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Captain Invictus posted:

So what references are there so far in terms of character colors? Cirno(Touhou) Peacock, Hatsune Miku(Vocaloid) Filia, Battletoads Cerebella, I know I saw at least two others. Princess Peach Parasoul, I think was one of them.

A ton. I've also seen Potemkin Cerebella, Morrigan Fortune, and Jessica Rabbit Parasoul.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think Painwheel's gonna be the big pubstomp character unless the tutorials teach about super/hyper armor. Which I bet they will, but a lot of people don't use tutorials because they're so used to them being braindead obvious stuff or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Alcoholism posted:

It's not low-res pixel art, but aren't they still considered sprites? Maybe there's a qualifier for that term I'm not aware of.

Technically, but by that standard you could say all 2D games sprite games. The sprites' resolutions in this game are so large that they're drawn on screen at half size, which basically means that it's enough detail to put the drawings into the game directly without approximating them with pixel art (like Third Strike did). You used to only be able to do that with giant portrait pictures like the vs. screen in Alpha 3 or the half-faces in MvC 1.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 3, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah basically any 2d image that's displayed in a game is technically a sprite. People tend to associate the word with pixel-art type stuff though.

Actually, now that I think about it there's vector graphics stuff like Flash, so I think stuff like The Binding of Isaac might not be considered sprites. Vector graphics hog a ton of system resources compared to sprites in general, with the upside that they can basically get scaled up and down infinitely without requiring a larger file to not look like poo poo.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Liar Lyre posted:

Here's a cool thing a dude on SRK made. PS3 themes!
http://linearlightning.deviantart.com/gallery/31331125
And a bonus one that cycles!
http://www.mediafire.com/?88rigbsdia774m0

Those are cool themes/desktop backgrounds, but I like how he managed to commission a traced picture of Cerebella.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Liar Lyre posted:

Holy moley! Look what I found. A Siliconera article on Skullgirls....from six years ago!

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/10/12/dreaming-of-making-a-game-spotlight-on-skullgirls/
What a long strange trip it's been.

Wasn't this before Mike Z. met up with the guy?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Garlic Wall posted:

I like how she has the double and autoblock power ups in the little Skullgradius part.

Also the scrambled right after autoblock. Nice SFxT reference.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brother Entropy posted:

If you don't like playing against the same characters alot, the game with 8 playable characters might not be the one for you.

There are a ton of combinations though. 92 if team order doesn't matter, 400 exactly if it does. Not all of them are good necessarily, but there are a lot of options.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brother Entropy posted:

Well yeah, I'm not criticizing the game for a lack of variety or anything. Just saying if you don't like fighting the same character sprites all day it might be a problem.

Oh, of course. Then again, I'd say any character that gets played a lot would be more unique than karate guy in white gi, green jungle man, and secret agent mom.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Vince Videogames posted:

What's the origin for the whole dance club background thing anyways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFx8uY6GwY

Not actually from the video, but I think that's what it's inspired by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

iPodschun posted:

This is on now. Mike going through the "simple hitboxes" colors in practice mode as they change depending on character state. Neutral, blocking high, blocking low, blocking both (chicken blocking), throw invincible, totally invincible. There's also an advanced hitboxes option but I missed what Mike said

Advanced adds the character collision boxes in dark blue, the point the character is considered to be at as a white dot. Didn't explain the white dot much, but the dark blue collision box is also the throw hitbox.

Anyway, my favorite part about the colored hitboxes is that they make it super obvious if something has significant frame disadvantage on block, almost as much as the blockstun meter. I'd love to see that in other fighting games.

• Locked thread