Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Evil Canadian posted:

Really looking forward to the game. I just hope the team balance feature pans out because I am mostly looking forward to playing either a duo team, or a solo character. I don't have much interest in a team of 3.

I'm the opposite and I hope 1 character teams end up being useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Gamest Mook posted:

Oh please, it's at least as valid as story discussion which I'm sure you'll begrudgingly tolerate.

Or you could save it for the 9001 times we'll have this exact discussion again.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
edit: never mind

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

big duck equals goose posted:

:goonsay:

Amazing rebuttal.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Countblanc posted:

I liked the part where the dude who quoted you is hiding behind a feigned air of feminism when in reality he clearly is just terrified of people thinking he's a weirdo, and also has an avatar from a comic where the protagonist engaged in "justified rape." :D

He also used autism as a pejorative.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

iPodschun posted:

I haven't seen this asked before or I missed it in which case I'm sorry for repeating:

Will there be MvC2-like anti-air assists? I miss my Cyclops and Commando assists. Was thinking of a team of Parasoul/AAA, which early on sounded like it was Cerebella with Cere-Copter but then it got nerfed or something

Parasoul has a commando-like assist, Filia has a psylocke-like assist.

note that all assist have an extra 3-frame vulnerable startup.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Eeevil posted:

It was mentioned one of the times that this game was demoed at Wednesday Night Fights that you can build meter by whiffing attacks when you have below one meter, but not after that, and not while moving backwards. Did they ever explain the reason behind that decision? Does meter on whiff make some play styles too strong or something?

On one hand, people who complain about playing against MvC2 Storm talk about how she can superjump, hold/back to slow fall, then whiff j.FP because she can gain a lot of meter without you being able to touch her. On the other hand, when I've been playing Strider/Doom and I was able to whiff a few FPs to get one meter was a life saver. It's a funny issue and I think the Skullgirls way is going to be a good balance.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This match is the classic example of why you shouldn't build meter on whiffing normals. Also see Storm/Cyclops super-jump whiffing in MvC2.

No, it's an example of whiffing for meter being poorly implemented.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Buhbuhj posted:

Of course it's not official.

edit: well now that I've sniped I'll ask crofts again. Where's Squigly?!

Nowhere because she's a dumb character who will never be in the game.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Countblanc posted:

I hated her until I saw the picture of her in Ouroborus Stance and now I'm sad she's gone, but not as sad as Umbrella because she's still the best.

Those 5000 gimmick stances weren't gonna be in the game.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
wrong thread!

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Broken Loose posted:

Fullscreen, kinda slow startup, hits instantly, ideal for trades (because it continues even if you get hit out of it), ground only, DHC into it makes it amazing. It otherwise sacrifices the chip of Hail Storm for crumple stun.

Does it cover the entire screen? Do you mainly use it to bait assist calls? Does it do a lot of chip? Does the startup cause parasoul to float backwards?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Saint Freak posted:

I think he wanted this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6SuATsMg80

Didn't really take advantage of assists did they?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Broken Loose posted:

I'm not going to embed this because it's 2 hours long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCIeRY5vJ8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

WATCH THIS.

Also, GOD drat that loading screen.

Well, looks like I'll be playing Painwheel on day 1.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I'd like to reiterate how awesome it is that assists can throw other assists.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Fishmonkey posted:

If they want to recycle the art, they should make alternate versions of every character like the Slash/Bust system from Samurai Shodown. For example, the alternate version of Ms. Fortune can't detach her head but has a teleport or something else to compensate for it.

And Double looks really lame. I hope they redraw her animation to show more nun and less generic organic blobs.

I like the cool organic blobs better than the generic nun.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
We need Umbrella ella ella eh eh eh

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I'm wondering why assist usage is so sparse in a lot of these videos, even compared to UMvC3 where assists have no invulnerability and when they get hit you've basically lost. Maybe it's the two-button assist system?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Jmcrofts posted:

a CELEBRITY LAUGH TRACK.

hm? Who?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

PalmTreeFun posted:

In the meantime, somebody mod Marvel 3 to replace hypegirl with sound clips from him.

Marvel 3 should have a Yipes commentary track.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Yesss now I have absolutely no reason to ever play SFxT!

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I still want April 4th :mad:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I just want of a gif of ms. fortune's head in the neutral pose.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Liar Lyre posted:

Holy moley! Look what I found. A Siliconera article on Skullgirls....from six years ago!

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/10/12/dreaming-of-making-a-game-spotlight-on-skullgirls/
What a long strange trip it's been.

iirc there's some hard evidence that proves Filia was designed before Milia Rage from Guilty Gear.

edit: Man I really wish this had come to my attention this weekend. I could have told my friends that I was bringing Skullgirls to the next session for April Fools.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 4, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That would be prior to 1997 which would be pretty crazy. What's the evidence?

If it doesn't predate it maybe he just said he didn't see Milia until he already thought of Filia? It wouldn't be too difficult since "Woman who can control her hair and fight with it" isn't that difficult to come up with. Or maybe he just got it from the Inhumans or Powerpuff Girls instead heh.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Broken Loose posted:

Fights will basically resemble this but with less floating and mashing to build meter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

I can't see that video posted without watching.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Those doom/sentinel and CapCom comebacks always make me frustrated that the MvC3 team thought x-factor was necessary.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Sade posted:

This game has gotten my girlfriend (who otherwise grudgingly tolerates my fighting game habits at best) interested in playing with me.

I've been hearing that a lot for this game.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Everyone who was hoping to run a 1 character team should just give up now.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Sade posted:

I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, but damage or no damage I just don't see any way it'll be viable in the long run.

Assists feel more useful in this game than in Marvel 3, they take less damage, and afaik there aren't any 100% combos single characters can do on triple characters.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Opinions on Parasouls assists?

Napalm Pillar. Charge down, up + HK. Forever.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Liar Lyre posted:

Tiers are pointless in this game due to custom assists.

Um, no they're not.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Broken Loose posted:

Nobody's going to lose any tears over this, but I'm gonna have to drop out until I get a new hard drive.

Well I'm an idiot and didn't sign up so I'm playing under your name.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Waterbed posted:

Me and Zerp discovered a scribble cat.

We weren't sure what caused it. We must know. We were playing Valentine vs Cerebella, we were mashing up close, then a poorly drawn cat came out and ran off the stage.

I've seen it as well. Mike Z said he had created 1 piece of art for the game, and that it was the worst art in there. I'm guessing that's it.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Evil Canadian posted:

Friend informs me apparently Solo Cerebella destroys the double assist if she blocks it, just go for spd or super and rip off a ridiculous chunk of life. Haven't gotten to try that yet myself, but seems sound enough.

Now to figure out how Parasoul deals with it.

Unless that super has a ton of invulnerability it sounds like you're asking to eat a laser super in the face.

edit: Motorcycles from Parasoul might be even better. Does it still come out if she gets hit?

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 12, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Gammatron 64 posted:

combo stuff

The stuffy day 1 bnb with Peacock I've been doing is:

[opening hit] s.lp s.mp s.mk jump j.lp j.lk [air dash cancel, pause to let peacock get closer to her victim] j.lp j.lk [peacock and the victim land] s.lp s.mp s.hp qcf hp x 3 qcf PP

If you want to impress your friends, instead of ending combos with gunshots into super you can link two supers together by cancelling the last normal into item drop H, and cancel that into super. If you let it go right when the first super ends the item will stun them long enough for you to perform another.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 14, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Fiction posted:

Is solo Peacock a good place to start for somebody who's never played a Marvel-like fighter before? And is there any repository for all these combos people have been coming up with?

If you plan on using a 2/3 character team in the long run I wouldn't waste my time using a solo team. If you plan on using a character with assists and lower health you might as well start using those things now.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Man this is like my first fighting game and I'm really enjoying Peacock/Double/Valentine, and now I find out my team is for baby? Can I still use it if I really like playing as Double or will I forever be cursed as the week one rear end in a top hat?

If people are whining about your characters then you made a wise choice.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Count Bleck posted:

I'm really hoping SRK hurries up and gives the characters their own subforums soon because it's really bugging me how I have to sift through a jumbled mess of a character thread to find combos to try.

On the subject has anybody found any good Peacock BnBs because the only combos on SRK just seem to be the ten thousand year flashy combos and I am a big babby boy when it comes to marvel sized poo poo. :downs:

Niddhogg posted:

The stuffy day 1 bnb with Peacock I've been doing is:

[opening hit] s.lp s.mp s.mk jump j.lp j.lk [air dash cancel, pause to let peacock get closer to her victim] j.lp j.lk [peacock and the victim land] s.lp s.mp s.hp qcf hp x 3 qcf PP

If you want to impress your friends, instead of ending combos with gunshots into super you can link two supers together by cancelling the last normal into item drop H, and cancel that into super. If you let it go right when the first super ends the item will stun them long enough for you to perform another.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

darealkooky posted:

Why did they put that stupid double assist in this game seriously, I'm feeling like painwheel is the only character that can really deal with that assist in a viable way at all because she can just fly over it (which is how dacid won that tourny yesterday)

If you call her c.mp assist it'll actually beat double out in the 2 frames she's hitable but that means you need to be in that rear end literally all the time, if you're even slightly out of range the invincibility kicks in and instead you lose.

Learn a reliable way to punish it. If people are using constantly it should be easy to know when it's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Rocketlex posted:

The difference in a fighting game is that you can play it without having learned it, and subsequently you can lose at it without learning it. You can't lose a game of chess simply because your opponent knows how the rooks move and you don't. It doesn't work like that. There are many, many, many mechanics to learn in Skullgirls, such that a person who knows them is going to have an advantage over a person who doesn't. This isn't "skill" or "mastery," however, but an advantage of information, which is a different thing.

You are seriously oversimplifying what it takes to be competent at chess.

• Locked thread