Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I know this thread's a little quiet nowadays, but this video went up today on Korean Englishman, where they spend time hanging out with Haha at his restaurant. It's actually quite a fun little bit that I found to be highly enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDjAiVL6Jg

Apparently every member of Running Man has had surgery for herniated discs. Not as fun, but the rest of it is actually quite delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

To think that even Kwangsoo, being as young as he is, needing surgery is...jaw dropping.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
drat, no wonder they hardly run any more.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bumping this thread to show the show some love. Last week's episode was another of the ridiculously stretched out introduction affairs which is always annoying. This weeks follow up to it was good. All the song demo stuff was great. It was also nice to get some Gary references.

Now over two years in, I have to say the new cast replacement worked for the most part. So Min is fantastic, after she had the rough period initially as the "new girl", she found her niche and has shined. Unfortunately Se Chan is still a take him or leave him replacement. To me he doesn't really bring anything to show, other than being the target of ugly jokes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This was easily one of the best eps in a long time. The whole 2nd half of the episode reminded me of the IC Song Festival projects they used to do. The whole segment with Se Chan and Ji-Hyo was freaking hilarious. Probably the funniest he's ever been on the show.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Haven't kept up for a couple months due to very busy for a while + lots of other stuff to catch up on. I'm guessing the slow boring introductory episode is fully skippable as usual?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I guess it depends. You have some of the best riffers in the business talking crap to each other and the guests, so there *is* usually good material in there, it's just really at the expense of "just get on with it already!".

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

463: The resolution for this one really made it feel like an old school episode. The ghost scares are still as lame as ever, but I liked the way the final race played out.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Wasn't expecting much from the fan meeting eps but genuinely found them the most enjoyable episodes since classic RM days. They obviously really threw themselves into preparing for it.

Made me think the best way to increase the show's longevity would be to stop recording weekly and instead have them spend a few months working intensively on a one off project like this that you can then get a years worth of recordings out of. Impossible in the K TV market obviously tho.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think that if they ended the show after this series of meetings, it would be perfect as they would be going out on a high note.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I think that if they ended the show after this series of meetings, it would be perfect as they would be going out on a high note.

It would be a positive note to finish on. The fact that they did a 9th anniversary show rather than a 10th anniversary show makes me think maybe winding it up is in the air. But the fact they didn't announce it as a final event makes me think maybe it isn't.

After Infinite Challenge got cancelled who knows how tv exec's make their decisions. Reading entrails or something.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Agree that these eps were really special and would've made a great cap to the end of the show, though I hope they don't actually portend the show ending. I think it would be cool if they made this into an annual thing like IC did with their music festivals. A tenth anniversary special could be really nuts after they proved how well they pulled off this one.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Given the physical ailments that the members have gone through having been on the show, I think that to keep up the physical variety style of running man would be impossible given the age of the members. I wish that they could go out on their own terms instead of cancelling the show due to a member scandal or really low ratings wouldn't give the fans the closure they need with the show as I don't think IC and 2N1D didn't get the sendoff their shows deserve.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Random Integer posted:

After Infinite Challenge got cancelled who knows how tv exec's make their decisions. Reading entrails or something.

It wasnt cancelled, more the director wanted to do something new and no one was willing to continue without him. Also they're old and tired now. Jack Black was running circles around them physically and comedically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve been out the loop for years, looking at the description the episodes I need to get for the fan episodes are 467-469 yeah? Or should I get 466 as well as it looks like 467 is a continuation of that episode before going into the fan stuff?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Gildiss posted:

It wasnt cancelled, more the director wanted to do something new and no one was willing to continue without him. Also they're old and tired now. Jack Black was running circles around them physically and comedically.

Fair enough

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve been out the loop for years, looking at the description the episodes I need to get for the fan episodes are 467-469 yeah? Or should I get 466 as well as it looks like 467 is a continuation of that episode before going into the fan stuff?

467-469 cover the fan meet. I think 458/459 are the eps where they actually set up the collaboration teams for the fan meet. The 466/467 ep was just ok as I recall but I dont think you miss much by just skipping over the first half of 467 to start the fan meet.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Gildiss posted:

Dude, Jack Black is older than everyone on IC. He just generally runs rings around everyone and everything, I think, like some kind of whirlwind.

We are so far behind on RM. Everyone's just doing other stuff these days, and we only watch sporadically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Random Integer posted:

467-469 cover the fan meet. I think 458/459 are the eps where they actually set up the collaboration teams for the fan meet. The 466/467 ep was just ok as I recall but I dont think you miss much by just skipping over the first half of 467 to start the fan meet.

Ah thanks, I'll go back a bit further than planned. Nice to not miss anything!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Episodes definitely remind me strongly of the IC concert episodes, or really IC projects in general, and I agree it's a better fit for RM than the original one at this point. Not only because of the physical aging of the cast and the apparently brutal wear and tear RM (and other work I'm sure) has had on them for the past 9 years, but also because these kinds of projects are ideal for breaking out of the repetitive mold their interactions can sometimes fall into and which has been a common complaint during the show's low periods for years now.

The flip-side is obviously that they are probably quite a bit harder to make than regular episodes. Regular episodes have comparatively low effort required from writers/directors to plot out, they allow for easy product-placement/promotion of actors and musician guests, they don't require paying people to train/guide/whatever the cast through their work like the dancers and the like they practiced before the fan meet with, etc, etc. And most importantly, these kinds of projects probably are hell on the cast in terms of schedules.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Insurrectionist posted:

Episodes definitely remind me strongly of the IC concert episodes, or really IC projects in general, and I agree it's a better fit for RM than the original one at this point. Not only because of the physical aging of the cast and the apparently brutal wear and tear RM (and other work I'm sure) has had on them for the past 9 years, but also because these kinds of projects are ideal for breaking out of the repetitive mold their interactions can sometimes fall into and which has been a common complaint during the show's low periods for years now.

The flip-side is obviously that they are probably quite a bit harder to make than regular episodes. Regular episodes have comparatively low effort required from writers/directors to plot out, they allow for easy product-placement/promotion of actors and musician guests, they don't require paying people to train/guide/whatever the cast through their work like the dancers and the like they practiced before the fan meet with, etc, etc. And most importantly, these kinds of projects probably are hell on the cast in terms of schedules.

Ever since Gary left and it got leaked they were going to revamp without KJK and Ji Hyo and then reverted the decision due to the backlash, the entire show has been low effort for about 95% of the episodes. The episodes are very cookie cutter now, talk to guests for 20 minutes, play 3-4 mini-games for 45 minutes and then finish up the last 15. The entire scale of show has been reduced dramatically for the most part, which I'm sure was most likely a budget move since the ratings aren't anywhere near where they were during the first 100-150 episodes. The last two episodes were really good though, even the prior couple with Sunny were good also.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Bankok posted:

Ever since Gary left and it got leaked they were going to revamp without KJK and Ji Hyo and then reverted the decision due to the backlash, the entire show has been low effort for about 95% of the episodes. The episodes are very cookie cutter now, talk to guests for 20 minutes, play 3-4 mini-games for 45 minutes and then finish up the last 15. The entire scale of show has been reduced dramatically for the most part, which I'm sure was most likely a budget move since the ratings aren't anywhere near where they were during the first 100-150 episodes. The last two episodes were really good though, even the prior couple with Sunny were good also.

I think there's been plenty of good episodes the past year or so, there was a low-effort period before that for sure though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Latest episode was a chase episode and really fun. We hadn't had one of those in awhile and it was a solid one.

Also in sad news, looks like Sulli passed away. She was in several episodes early in the show's run. I think the "solve for 1" with Gary and Haha being one of the best.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Teek posted:

Latest episode was a chase episode and really fun. We hadn't had one of those in awhile and it was a solid one.

Yeah it was really nice to see them doing something more active and dynamic. Even if its not the funniest at least it creates moments of tension and interest compared to the "single set/location where they play some low stakes games" format. Hopefully we get more of it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jamesman posted:

I know this thread's a little quiet nowadays, but this video went up today on Korean Englishman, where they spend time hanging out with Haha at his restaurant. It's actually quite a fun little bit that I found to be highly enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDjAiVL6Jg

Apparently every member of Running Man has had surgery for herniated discs. Not as fun, but the rest of it is actually quite delightful.

Dang that's a real bummer, I have herniated discs that are super messed up and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I somewhat envy their position of being able to get that taken care of without it being a huge financial burden though, right now I'm sure I'll need to have surgery but have no clue if I'll be able to through medicaid, even if I agree to massive medical debt I'll never be able to pay off.

I've got a lot of RM to catch up on. I think the once a month or 13 episode season show format would really work well, and it's a shame that's not really doable in Korean market. I do think that would be a really easy thing to sell the cast on, after breaking their bodies and working constantly on it only having to do roughly 1/4th or 1/3rd the workload would probably feel like a huge relief, and it's not like most of the members need RM as a regular gig when they're often getting work on other projects.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Goo Hara died today at age 28, she had been in a bunch of episodes including episode 2 and 3.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1367711wpp/breaking-goo-hara-passes-away

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I first saw her in Invincible Youth and she stood out as an amazing person even then.

Sadly, a lovely industry, an abusive boyfriend, toxic antifans and the death of her close friend Sulli really took their toll.

So sad.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Show has had a good number of middling to bleh episodes recently, but I thought this week's episode was good. First half had some decent twists, but the second half stole the show for sure. Probably the best team-creation task in RM to date. Jae-Suk tricking a bunch of members into joining the wrong team, Ji-Hyo + the guest lady sprinting past a non-plussed Kwang-Soo and stealing his car, Kwang-Soo stealing Se-Chan's cellphone, the one guest who couldn't get in contact with anyone or their agencies, KJK abducting Haha, all great stuff. Made me excited for next week, hopefully it'll have some creative activities.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Looks like they're spinning off a version for the Philippines.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/running-man-become-show-in-philippines/

Has anyone watched the Chinese or Vietnamese versions of the show?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I caught a couple of the early Chinese version.

It definitely had that spin-off feel.

EDIT - by which I mean it felt like they were trying to recreate the RM roster rather than let a team organically take shape.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 12, 2020

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I remember when kjk guest starred on RM and during a name tag chase race, kjk's shirt got ripped. They seemed pretty aggressive for no reason.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Latest episode of Running Man provided some news I wasn't aware of when Jong Kook made a joke directed at Ji Hyo. Gary has returned to Korean TV on the celebrity dads/kids show The Return of Superman. He and his 2 year old debuted a few episodes ago. I've seen some clips and Gary seems to be the same as always, and his son is two years old but somehow appears to be some brilliant savant? It's hilarious.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
LKS was in a car accident and got a fractured ankle, so he’s going to be off the show for a little while.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Kwang Soo has been back for a few episodes, for anyone who is wondering. His mobility is still limited, but he's still playing his usual self.

Just popping in here to say that the opening 30 minutes of episode 497 is some of the funniest the show has been. It was such a simple thing, but the cast played everything out brilliantly.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Time for me to start digging back through the big RM backlog I have after falling out of the habit of watching it for awhile.

Also a quick medical update on my back if anyone's interested: I just had a call with the doctor and he's recommending a surgery that ticks all the right boxes (85-90% of patients feel it helped them, low risk) and that hopefully I'll be able to get through my medicaid plan. It'd be an outpatient procedure so hopefully not a terribly expensive thing, still waiting on the details, and when I might get it is up in the air due to Covid. I also would have it done by one of those "I've been doing this 29 years and have done this surgery 2,000 times" surgeons and at a place with a good reputation (U of M hospital in Michigan), so things may be looking up for a change.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Thankfully LKS is back, I think he only missed one full episode. So MIn was hospitalized and needs a break because of fatigue, don't know how long she will be gone.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The latest episode was very good. I liked the spin on the final game they gave it this time. Variable sized teams giving benefits (more shooters, more balloons) and drawbacks (less maneuverability/stealth) while also not automatically favoring the more fit/strong members worked well. Also allowed for shenanigans like LKS trying to reinforce his balloons or careless members popping their own. And the polystyrene board game was great - although I will say when KJK jumped off it did not look like he landed comfortably, I think the pit was not sufficiently deep for that strategy to be safe. Sadly the bus game was as usual not exciting, but at least it only took 10 minutes.

I think the show has had a nice run of episodes recently, hopefully that keeps up.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
It sounded like Kwang Soo took a really nasty fall at the end there. That had to hurt.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This week's episode was quite good. I was kind of ambivalent for the first part but after that it really picked up and had a great finale. These kinds of episodes where they learn a hobby or art or similar tend to be among the best IMO, whether it's quick and dirty like this one or more dedicated affairs like for the fan-meet concert. Speaking of longer ones, that held true for similar IC concepts as well. I wish the show would do these more often though I understand why they don't.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Kwang Soo’s performance face training antics were god tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just watched a few recent episodes, and I was really surprised to find out the team dynamic is still there. I thought I was going to die of laughter during the singing segment. I guess Kwang Soo doesn't have a musical background.