Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Continued from the IY2 thread:

qbert posted:

It's Narsha and Goo Hara.

I don't miss the card game as it often went a bit too long and usually wasn't that funny. The heart monitor challenges were hilarious, but I think they only did them like twice, so they were never regular challenges. I do wish they would go back to 1 vs X, though. The best was back in EP 12 when they had to fool Joong-ki in the quiz. Gwangsoo recovering from almost messing up has got to be one of the funniest moments of the show.
I find the thief card game less grating than the repetitive "Look into my eyes, you can trust me" stuff from the spy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

skyliner posted:

Continued from the IY2 thread:

I find the thief card game less grating than the repetitive "Look into my eyes, you can trust me" stuff from the spy games.

I agree they should probably put the spy stuff on the back-burner for now. They've used it a bit too often at this point, that everyone is immediately suspicious of everyone else right when the hide-and-seek missions start.

Instead I'd like them come up with more variations on how people get eliminated. The water gun concept has been used a bunch also, but there's plenty of other things they can think up. It might actually be interesting to just steal IC's tail-grabbing format (you're assigned a single person to eliminate, and once you do you then have to eliminate who they were assigned to eliminate).

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 8, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

qbert posted:

I agree they should probably put the spy stuff on the back-burner for now. They've used it a bit too often at this point, that everyone is immediately suspicious of everyone else right when the hide-and-seek missions start.

Instead I'd like them come up with more variations on how people get eliminated. The water gun concept has been used a bunch also, but there's plenty of other things they can think up. It might actually be interesting to just steal IC's tail-grabbing format (you're assigned a single person to eliminate, and once you do you then have to eliminate who they were assigned to eliminate).

Ah yeah, Assassin. I played that in High School with water guns. It was pretty cool since you'd have a dozen people playing and the only safe "zones" were school and work. At one person waiting for another at his bus stop haha.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 2
Guests: Song Ji-Hyo (Actress, future cast member) Goo Ha-Ra (Idol, Kara) Lee Chun-Hee (Actor, Model)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The first two-parter episode, with the same location and guests – in fact the final game in this episode continues on into the next one. Also the first appearance of Song Ji-Hyo, though at this point she’s just another guest. Her being treated as just another attractive female guest is very funny once you’ve seen later episodes where she’s the brunt of a very large amount of jokes. Another first sees Episode 2 begin with the Running Men separate, with a short race to the meeting point and advantages for the first there. We also see a change to the game – instead of secret codes, they’re now finding hidden golden pigs filled with money to leave, but this is all explained very well in the episode so I’ll not add to it.

Kwang-Soo’s attempts to find help with his card finding only tourists, ending up in finding some foreigners who can still actually understand it better than him, is a sort of pathetic hilarious. It’s also an incredibly impressive location, I’ve no idea how much it must cost to have filmed there, though I guess if they’re donating to charity it might have been for free. For the first part’s mini-games we have cheer section charades with all the fun of vuvuzelas, and a return of the “try to get your face in the photo” game with Gary’s peaceful expressions, which manage to get funnier every time. Then there’s a brief location switch (after yet more cheating) to the swimming pool, and the contrast between the three cowardly guys on the low platform and Ji-Hyo easily grabbing the pig on the much higher board. I’m not sure whether she’s faking or actually tried to push Kwang-Soo off. And the crew are bastards for the first time with their golden ball trick.

The final game is the diving board height challenge, which quite frankly scares the hell out of me, so I can easily sympathise with the worried members. And partway through that, we’re into the third episode!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Kwang Soo really is the Chun Hee of Running man, but to a certain degree, so is Ji Hyo. Chun Hee had the same thing at the beginning of Family outing where Hyori and Yejin picked him as #1 at the end of the episode, but gradually dropped as they became more familiar.

Interesting how much of a strong role Suk Jin has in these early episodes, most noticeable thing being how he managed to basically place himself as team captain over Jong Kook, even after arriving late. I think he just found his place a lot quicker than most of the cast due to being a variety veteran. The problem is, he lost that advantage once the rest of the members did.

Peaceful Gary was hilarious in this episode. Am I remembering correctly that it gets even funnier in the next episode couple?

Ji Hyo's Engrish is adorable. TEERANOSORUSOO! TOORANSOFOMA!

Also loved Hara's answer to the "Who invented the telephone?" question.

Really enjoying rewatching the older episodes along with the thread. How often will we be watching them?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I just learned Einstein invented the telephone. This show will never stop being interesting.

Nicke
Mar 10, 2004

sharktamer posted:

Interesting how much of a strong role Suk Jin has in these early episodes, most noticeable thing being how he managed to basically place himself as team captain over Jong Kook, even after arriving late. I think he just found his place a lot quicker than most of the cast due to being a variety veteran. The problem is, he lost that advantage once the rest of the members did.

I think that is more about him being the oldest than anything else. Age is a huge deal in Korea.

Jong Kook is natural leader though and assumed that role after a few episodes.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The thing i'm surprised to realise at re-watching is mainly how early Kwang-Soo gets saddled with his pathetic persona. No-one else has really grabbed their key feature yet (except maybe YJS and JSJ, but they're old hands), but he's already got his character.

sharktamer posted:

Really enjoying rewatching the older episodes along with the thread. How often will we be watching them?
Four or so a week? I'll probably consolidate two-parters in the future, as well. Depends really on "Hey, get on with it" or "Dude, slow down." reactions.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Some quick thoughts on today's episode (Ep 76).

- Chun Hee's back! And he's his usual pathetic self! Hooray!

- Gwangsoo FINALLY gets to be an actual spy!

- The rest of the episode was pretty weak. This was probably the most unbalanced hide-and-seek ever. The capture team literally outnumbered the mission team, AND two of them were spies. I'm pretty sure elementary school kids could have won with those odds. Also it was obvious that the capture team could've eliminated 3 people within 5 minutes of the last mission starting, but let them all get away to drag things out.

- It also didn't help that the whole last 10 minutes was just a montage of Jong Kook running from computer to computer while his pursuer was on the other side of the building. This really didn't need to be a 90-minute episode.

Hopefully next week's is better.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

The teaser showed IU appearing and singing the wake-up call, so it has to be good. :v:

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 9, 2012

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

Some quick thoughts on today's episode (Ep 76).

The fact that you hope next week's ep is better is a spoiler that this is a bad ep.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I found a thing, the xbox360 now has an app for youtube and dailymotion. I've been able to watch running man on my tv! However if it's the standard quality vid you see on youtube, it looks really lovely on TV. I loaded up an HD vid and that seemed pretty good, however I don't think anyone has ever uploaded HD quality RM eps. I did fire up IY1 eps that were subbed by soshifted and those were of acceptable quality. I guess the IY2 eps are probably going to be watchable, but RM eps will probably have to be regulated to the computer.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You should be able to download the episodes on the isubs site in HD quality and then watch that on your TV through the xbox.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nexal posted:

The fact that you hope next week's ep is better is a spoiler that this is a bad ep.

No, as that part is entirely my own subjective opinion.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
I'm finding a hard time following everybody's names, since I'm not really used to hearing Korean, but it seems like Jung is in front of everybody's names? Or am I just the worst kind of inept?

Objective statement: Song Joong-Ki is the best eyecandy on this show (aside from Lee Hyori in the first episode)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tiara posted:

I'm finding a hard time following everybody's names, since I'm not really used to hearing Korean, but it seems like Jung is in front of everybody's names? Or am I just the worst kind of inept?

Objective statement: Song Joong-Ki is the best eyecandy on this show (aside from Lee Hyori in the first episode)

Probably what you're hearing is 'hyung', which is a title a male uses to address an older male (kind of means 'brother'). So sometimes you'll see someone call someone else 'hyung' without actually saying their name. The girls will use 'oppa' to address older males and guys will use 'noona' to address older females.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Running Man is freaking awesome. It's great to see the thread now up and running. I'm up to episode 18 at the moment, but I've already seen a few past it. I think I'll rewatch the episodes and follow along with the thread.

Episode 2 was great. In particular, it's nice to see more action-based segments as opposed to the indoor-game based stuff in the following episodes. I think Ji Hyo proves in this episode why she was permanent member material, in particular when she got fired up at the rock-paper-scissors game.

I don't know why, but I find Suk-Jin's "Running Man - Bang" hilarious, and I only noticed on a second watch through that he managed to briefly slip it into the opening sequence.

Question: I haven't jumped off a diving board like this before, but is it really necessary to cover your junk like the guys were doing? I'd think your feet would absorb the impact.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

qbert posted:

Probably what you're hearing is 'hyung', which is a title a male uses to address an older male (kind of means 'brother'). So sometimes you'll see someone call someone else 'hyung' without actually saying their name. The girls will use 'oppa' to address older males and guys will use 'noona' to address older females.
And one used in the first episode, unni, is the female-to-older-female equivalent of hyung.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

No, as that part is entirely my own subjective opinion.

Reading your posts in this thread gives a pretty drat good view what kind of ep are we gonna be expecting after reading your opinion about it.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Nexal posted:

Reading your posts in this thread gives a pretty drat good view what kind of ep are we gonna be expecting after reading your opinion about it.

Wait, how does reading "This ep was good/bad" give a good view / spoil the episode? Don't you go into movies hearing about whether it was good or not? Or are you reading his spoilered posts?

I mean, I understand the need for spoiler watch in the thread, but going all spoiler-nazi is just going to kill the discussion on anything but the OP's watchthrough episodes.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Archer2338 posted:

Wait, how does reading "This ep was good/bad" give a good view / spoil the episode? Don't you go into movies hearing about whether it was good or not? Or are you reading his spoilered posts?

I mean, I understand the need for spoiler watch in the thread, but going all spoiler-nazi is just going to kill the discussion on anything but the OP's watchthrough episodes.

I take peoples opinions usually for granted especially when it's about weekly comedy episodes of a show in korea. There's not many who would disagree with the majority about which episode is bad and which is not. Every week Il try approach the new eps without having any clue if they will be good or not. In case usually bad episodes are the ones that are predictable from start to the end and brings only few moments of laughter.
Afterall it's random factor that makes this show so "Loveable" by Kim Jong Kook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrky7dQq8M

Edit: On another note people rant about movies usually cause they have horrible acting or a cheesy plot. This is variety. Staying cast and setups of each ep are pretty much same.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 9, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Opinions as to whether an episode was good or bad aren't spoilers.

Opinions could be based on a guest being terrible/great, on the location being interesting or not, on the challenges being fun or not, on simply the whole episode itself not being as fun as another episode. So long as the reasons for why you consider an episode to be good or bad are spoiled, someone who hasn't seen that episode yet can go into it and be find that what one person disliked they liked, or vice-versa. People have different likes and dislikes, so one person's favourite episode can be another's boring miss-step; and, irregardless of "majority rules", one poster is one poster - you can't know whether qbert's opinion places him with most people or on his own.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Revenant Threshold posted:

Opinions as to whether an episode was good or bad aren't spoilers.

Opinions could be based on a guest being terrible/great, on the location being interesting or not, on the challenges being fun or not, on simply the whole episode itself not being as fun as another episode. So long as the reasons for why you consider an episode to be good or bad are spoiled, someone who hasn't seen that episode yet can go into it and be find that what one person disliked they liked, or vice-versa. People have different likes and dislikes, so one person's favourite episode can be another's boring miss-step; and, irregardless of "majority rules", one poster is one poster - you can't know whether qbert's opinion places him with most people or on his own.

I'm not saying he is the majority I'm just saying that I read few of his posts and he made good points which I agree with. Then he goes and says "Hopefully next week's is better. ". Ofcourse there is the small fraction of chance that I will happen to disagree with this but as I said one post above I take peoples opinions for granted when it comes to variety shows.

Aside from that can we leave this ridiculous opinion disucssion alone. If it keeps going on it's gonna derail the thread.

While on the topic about episode 74. Watching kshow subs what does this whole garys lol lols mean? I can't really recall the dopplegangers actually saying "lol".

Nexal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 9, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Nexal posted:

I'm not saying he is the majority I'm just saying that I read few of his posts and he made good points which I agree with. Then he goes and says "Hopefully next week's is better. ". Ofcourse there is the small fraction of chance that I will happen to disagree with this but as I said one post above I take peoples opinions for granted when it comes to variety shows.

Aside from that can we leave this ridiculous opinion disucssion alone. If it keeps going on it's gonna derail the thread.

While on the topic about episode 74. Watching kshow subs what does this whole garys lol lols mean? I can't really recall the dopplegangers actually saying "lol".
Just something he says to get them to converge on him. Gary posted some time ago on his twitter saying he just found out that "lollol" (as in laugh out loud) meant "ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ" (I think subbers translate that to kekeke?) in English. So perhaps he's using that? It's not something that has meaning in Korean, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT: That twitter post was around 12/8, which I think is a week or two before E74 would have been filmed. He's going by not the acronym pronunciation but what it would be if lol was a real word :v:

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 9, 2012

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Archer2338 posted:

Just something he says to get them to converge on him. Gary posted some time ago on his twitter saying he just found out that "lol" (as in laugh out loud) meant "ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ" (I think subbers translate that to kekeke?) in English. So perhaps he's using that? It's not something that has meaning in Korean, if that's what you're asking.

Yes, thank you. Wasn't just sure if the subbers were trolling or not.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nexal posted:

While I appreciate the weight you seem to have given my 'good/bad' remarks, I don't feel the need to spoil them for the reasons Revenant stated earlier. If you find it's gonna hurt your enjoyment of the show, feel free to skip over my posts when you see spoilered text in the future.

Hopefully you can be comforted, however, by the fact that we're not going to agree on every episode. For example, you said earlier in the thread that you disliked Ep 69, which I personally found fantastic!

Selane
May 19, 2006

qbert posted:

Hopefully you can be comforted, however, by the fact that we're not going to agree on every episode. For example, you said earlier in the thread that you disliked Ep 69, which I personally found fantastic!

The Choi Min-soo episodes were both awesome.

Minsoo: Ok, here's how this is going to work: I'm going to hunt you like an animal for my own amusement, and you're going to like it.
Jaesuk: Yes sir :gonk:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Here's the awesome guest of E69 appearing in another Korean drama- Spoiler if you don't want to know who the guest is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Dm8M0KeC0&feature=relmfu
Basically, two of the most well known, talented actors in their age group-Choi Minsoo and Jeon Gwang-ryeol- going at each other with swords. drat.

Going back to the first few episodes though, I too notice Sukjin being much more prominent and not in a Gwangsoo-esque pathetic role. I kind of miss it, since he doesn't play a bigger role in some of the more recent episode formats. I do like his character - his woo-sa dance is hilarious. When would you guys say he started playing a less prominent role? I mean, even in the earlier, yet established episodes (like in the teens) he still has a solid presence, but these days he seems to suffer a lot more editing than before...

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 9, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I forgot all about the punishments in the earlier episodes. They were fun, but I guess there's only so much you can do with the concept.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Selane posted:

The Choi Min-soo episodes were both awesome.

Minsoo: Ok, here's how this is going to work: I'm going to hunt you like an animal for my own amusement, and you're going to like it.
Jaesuk: Yes sir :gonk:

I loved that he kept confusing Jae Suk with all these weird fables every time he caught him.

Minsoo: Today I am a scorpion.
Jae Suk: Didn't you say earlier you were a tiger?
Minsoo: No...this is the second time.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

qbert posted:

I loved that he kept confusing Jae Suk with all these weird fables every time he caught him.

Minsoo: Today I am a scorpion.
Jae Suk: Didn't you say earlier you were a tiger?
Minsoo: No...this is the second time.

The hidden name tag on his VJ was good. That dude getting signs made for him in Thailand and Hong Kong were funny as well.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Xandu posted:

I forgot all about the punishments in the earlier episodes. They were fun, but I guess there's only so much you can do with the concept.

Yup. And I think they decided that using the time devoted to showing the punishment was better spent showing more of the main missions and such, and I agree.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I wouldn't mind them having the come back now and then but only if they're really good.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 3
Guests: “
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

A continuation of the second episode. In the future, two-part episodes will be condensed into one post for the sake of these, because there’s really no reason not to. Anyway, back to the pool.

It was asked up thread about whether some parts of the show were edited out more towards the beginning, and here’s another example; the girls jumping just gets added into the “Previously…” montage. I’m guessing from their reactions that they (unlike all the others) just weren’t afraid enough of it to be funny. I like this game if only because of the pressure that all the others put on them gradually grows as fewer people are left to jump – the best part of it is the reactions of everyone else to the jumpers. Especially when everyone is impressed with Kwang-Soo except Jong-Kook, because he's next.

Then it’s the golden pig hunt again, and the incredibly ambitious task of “Well, just search every drat seat in the stadium.” They’re much better in the future about assigning tasks where the difficult component isn’t just “takes a drat long time to do”, luckily. Also, note, if I’m not very much mistaken, Banjo Kazooie music. It’s also the first time that the crew start getting airtime, and while it’s not much this time now and again they get the cameras turned on them fairly often in the future. The Telepathy game is actually one i’ve heard of, though I can’t recall under what name. Quite a lot of Korean stuff, though still understandable, and I think that Sailor Moon line works pretty well, plus there’s the disturbing revelation that the Korean idol programs are just cover for schemes to unleash psychic youths on the world.

Finally, it’s actually a football related game in this football stadium. They also end up cutting out some of the penalties here, but that’s fair enough really, there’s only so much interest in kick after kick. I have to say, at the end, I do feel sorry for Ha-Ra. They joke about it, but she probably does have a full schedule for the rest of that day.

Next time – Museums! Foreign guests!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Goo Hara was the blue team's MVP. She single-handedly won it for for the blue team. Between finding a ton of golden pigs and dropping 4 in a row in the guessing game, she was boss. :v: Does anyone know when this show aired? Was it before/during/after IY1?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Lyer posted:

Goo Hara was the blue team's MVP. She single-handedly won it for for the blue team. Between finding a ton of golden pigs and dropping 4 in a row in the guessing game, she was boss. :v: Does anyone know when this show aired? Was it before/during/after IY1?

Started somwehere 2010* summer. IY1 however is a 2009 show if I recall right.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 10, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

According to the relevant wikipedia pages, EP02 of Running Man aired July 18, 2010 and IY1 ran from the end of 2009 to the end of 2010. Or you could just look at Hara's page, they're actually both listed there with dates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goo_Hara

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Ep02 and 03 aired on July 18 and 25, 2010, respectively.
IY1 had its last broadcast on December 24, 2010, and if I remember correctly, Haragoo stayed until the very last end.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF beaten while writing.
EDIT2: Double fail. Made a typo. It's 2010.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 10, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching these past episodes have caused me to respect Kwang Soo. He's a guy that really tries hard despite failing. He totally doesn't deserve the "Pathetic" tag that he's gotten.

I thought Heroes,IY and Running Man were airing at the same time based on the commercials. I mention Heroes because I liked that show as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Archer2338 posted:

Ep02 and 03 aired on July 18 and 25, 2011, respectively.
IY1 had its last broadcast on December 24, 2010, and if I remember correctly, Haragoo stayed until the very last end.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF beaten while writing

I think you mis-typed, the RM eps aired in 2010, not 2011. So smack dab in the middle of when IY1 was still running.

Pretty much everyone knew Goo Hara was a solid variety show guest at that point.

TV Zombie posted:

Watching these past episodes have caused me to respect Kwang Soo. He's a guy that really tries hard despite failing. He totally doesn't deserve the "Pathetic" tag that he's gotten.

I think the 'pathetic' role has worked out quite well for him at this point. Because he garners so much sympathy from the audience, he's now considered one of the most popular members on the show. In later episodes when Running Man starts attracting huge crowds of fans during filming because of the show's popularity, it's surprising how many Gwangsoo signs pop up. Personally, he's my 2nd favorite member behind YJS.

qbert fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 10, 2012