Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Teek posted:

Suk Jin’s initial comment to the English info trader Robin killed me.

Ji Suk Jin is the funniest member on the show in just one language and this episode doubled his power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So Min turning things around and trying to teach the guy how to say the stuff in the Korean hint was adorable. "This hint isn't for me. This is for you!"

I still continue to be a big on the idea of Young Ji joining the show, because of her relationship with Se Chan. I could see a lot of sibling-like shenanigans there, like how it was with Kwang Soo and So Min.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Jae Suk and Kwang soo have a new netflix variety show that just got announced now, along with Kim Yeon-kyung.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
612 was pretty good, and I liked that they experimented with some new formats with the improv stuff even if it didn't land 100% this time around.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The improv bit was good, and obviously leaned hard into the cast with a lot of experience in that area.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/every_kook/status/1554043313891713024?s=20&t=75f6K2D5yiZluJwofB-B4w

New PD time, be interesting to see if there are new ideas that come with that

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Newest episode is the best in a long time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It was really fun. A bit disappointed by some of the low effort hiding spots by some of the older crew. Jae Suk basically carried the load for that episode. Se Chan also basically won by default by putting out the effort for his spot.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Heads up, if you have a Disney+ subscription and a VPN-- the first episodes of The Zone (with Jae Seok, Kwang Soo, and Yuri from Girl's Generation) are up. Just watched the first one and it was pretty good, although for the first twenty minutes I was like "man, this might be too mean".

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
i like that it only took 15 minutes for kwang soo to be kwang soo

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

an owls casket posted:

Heads up, if you have a Disney+ subscription and a VPN-- the first episodes of The Zone (with Jae Seok, Kwang Soo, and Yuri from Girl's Generation) are up. Just watched the first one and it was pretty good, although for the first twenty minutes I was like "man, this might be too mean".

It’s also just on normal Hulu in the U.S. if you have that.

Watched the first 3 and am enjoying it a ton so far.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

an owls casket posted:

What's the concept of the show?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Basically the three leads are tasked with “surviving” in a themed area for a set amount of time, seemingly around four hours. Kwang Soo and Jae Suk miss no beats in falling back into their routine. Jae Suk also provides some digs to Kwang Soo about how he thought Kwang Soo had sworn off variety shows, explicitly mentioning Running Man by name and Kwang Soo having left it.

The episodes are around 50 minutes, which is about right for the amount they can wring out of that episodes theme.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm in!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I watched the first episode of Korea Number One on Netflix and it gave me some decent laughs, but really it just made me miss Running Man. It's been a few years since I checked in - where's the best place to watch these days?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I get them all from https://www.myrunningman.com/ but all the videos are sadly still 720p, at least the torrents are. Haven't tried watching embedded.

If you're in the US there's probably some place you can watch it officially subbed, no idea if it's possible for free though

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I pay $70 for a yearly Kocowa sub. They have a site and Roku app I use. After years of dubious sites and :filez: I finally relented and shelled out money for official subs. Much easier to pop on the newest episode every Sunday evening.

The only noteworthy thing about their translations is that they convert honorifics into the person’s name instead. So hyung and oppa just become Jae Suk, etc. instead.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 4, 2022

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's funny that entering 2023 the show seems like it's on a good upward trend again, all the recent episodes have been really solid. Though I feel like Haha is starting to join Jihyo in just not adding much.

KJK chatted with the current pd, previous PD and his other previous pd friend about the show on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1JXGv9Doo

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hello. Time to bump this thread with a slightly sad update, as So Min is leaving the show at the end of the month.

quote:

Jeon So Min will be filming her last episode on October 30 KST, before departing 'Running Man'. Considering that it was not a short relationship with the program, (Jeon So Min) thought hard about it and after a long discussion with the members of 'Running Man', the production team, and the agency she ultimately decided that she needed some time to recharge in order to show a better side of herself.

We thank all those who cried and laughed with Jeon So Min on 'Running Man' since April 2017 for six years, and we ask for your warm affection and support for Jeon So Min moving forward.

Considering she's been consistently my favorite part of the show for a while now and feels like a glue that holds everything together with her interactions, this really sucks and I do not know what the show is gonna be like without her.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's sad that I read the news and immediately wished it had been Ji Hyo instead. I feel like JSJ, Se Chan and So Min really stepped up a lot to carry the show after LKS left, but I don't really know how you fill the void of not having either Kwang Soo or So Min. Kwang Soo and So Min were very similar in that they have the ability to create a genuinely funny and unexpected moment out of nothing even if they go about it in different ways. The show could be revitalised again if Jihyo leaves and 2 - 3 new members are added but I more expect that SBS will be happy to let the show slowly end, it'll actually be interesting to see which show ends first between RM and Hangout with yoo and then what YJS does afterwards.

Though based on the opening of the newest episode, I wouldn't be surprised if the producers were hitting up V from BTS for as many guest appearances as possible :v: especially considering he just did the Na PD show in Mexico so obviously has some amount of interest in regularly appearing on variety

Centusin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 23, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've fallen behind over the past 4-5 months but kept up with some of the SJH controversy stuff. I don't think there's a way back for the show now. They desperately need new blood but even discounting the crazy SJH fans that would hate on any woman joining, whoever joins male or female would be compared to Kwang-Soo and So Min and fall short. And if SJH left now I imagine the show would get trashed by many longtime fans, even worse rhan during the KJK/SJH situation back some years ago.

A pity, but at least it didn't happen while the show was still in top form.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I were to think of new people to add to the show, I've already mentioned before that I think Heo Young Ji would be a great addition. She's young and energetic, and aside from being an idol, she has experience in comedy from working on Comedy Big League. She's also worked with Se Chan on there, and they have a good chemistry together based on what I saw in her previous appearances, and I think it'd be good to maintain a strong presence with the younger/newer members.

There's also Joo Woo Jae, who I think fills a similar role to Kwang Soo, while being his own person. He does tend to get overshadowed a lot, as his character is "Sick Weakling," but he seems to be well liked by the cast and they always have fun with him when he's on. I believe he's a regular on another show Yoo Jae Seok does, but I've never seen it so I don't know how he is on there, but he has a strong connection to Jae Seok and could fill a similar role to Kwang Soo or So Min as someone he takes under his wing.

Similarly, there's Lee Mi Joo. She's been fun in her appearances on Running Man, really leaning into just being silly and goofy and down for whatever nonsense the cast gets into. I think she's also on the same show Jae Seok and Woo Jae are on, and she's been someone that Jae Seok has looked after and has had some good chemistry with Se Chan.

But I don't know. So Min was easily my favorite and responsible for so many laughs from me, and had such good connections with the other members so she fit right into any dynamic they found themselves in. Her leaving the show is going to be a massive blow to my enjoyment of the show, and I certainly hope they don't intend to leave another hole in the group like they did with Kwang Soo. I think "Someone not as good as Kwang Soo or So Min" is still better than a complete and glaring absence that feels like the show's having a slow death.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Heo Young Ji is a good shout for someone to add, I think the only other alternative I can think of is Mimi who is going to guest in the next episode because I feel like her Earth Arcade character is one that Jae Seok typically likes to work with. With regard to Mijoo, I've seen every episode of Hangout with Yoo and she is a dud on there unfortunately, when she could rely on acting a little crazy her character worked, but being a regular cast member of a weekly show requires the ability to talk well and say funny things and she just doesn't have that at all. Woo Jae has been able to bring a little more out of her but that says more about Woo Jae than Mijoo.

Woo Jae has been really good on Hangout with Yoo, and has good back and forth with Jae Seok. He would be a good addition to show, but I don't know if they would want to have yet another member overlapping, I can't really think of anyone else though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Would Mimi be able to commit to every Monday?
Im Soo-hyang was someone who came to mind for me, she worked with Yoo Jae-suk before on "Village Survival, the Eight". But on the other hand she hasn't been in anything good for....a bit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

Would Mimi be able to commit to every Monday?
Im Soo-hyang was someone who came to mind for me, she worked with Yoo Jae-suk before on "Village Survival, the Eight". But on the other hand she hasn't been in anything good for....a bit.

I really liked Village Survival. Im Soo-Hyang was fun on there when they did the charades game and she had to do animals. I also liked the pairings of Yang Se Hyung and Jang Do Yeon, and Jang Do Young and Son Dam Bi. But I just can't see any of them translating well to being part of the Running Man cast.

I will really miss So Min. Admittedly, I've got a bit of a crush on her, but I always thought she became such a vital role in what the show is now. Energetic, silly, outgoing, plays well with everyone else and developed different dynamics with everyone. She's felt like the tentpole that holds current Running Man up because she's so involved and versatile. They're gonna have to find someone that can fill that gap, fast, or they're gonna have to start thinking about taking the show in a different direction. Or both.

If we're going just for replacing one crush with another, maybe Sandara Park would be a good fit. She's always been hard working and wanting to put her everything into all sorts of different activities, and has a lot of experience in different roles on TV, from singing, dancing, hosting, acting, variety, and more. I just don't know if she could work with a weekly schedule, since she does so much.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I love Mimi, but I wouldn't want anything potentially conflicting with Earth Arcade. Any of them would be great, especially with Yu Jin mentioning that So Min was her role model for variety shows when IVE were on a few months back.

On the off chance that people in this thread aren't already watching it, Earth Arcade fuckin rules. Those four are so funny in complimentary ways, and their chemistry together is fantastic pretty much right out of the gate. You really can't go wrong with anything Na PD does, though. He's got a show going right now with Kwang Soo and three of his friends trying to grow vegetables on a plot of land, and it's a goddamn delight.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I guess we got to see what Mimi would be like as part of Running Man with this recent episode. She wasn't bad, but she didn't really end up having any moments that made me feel like she'd be a good long-term fit for the show. At least she did more than Miyeon.

I tried going back and seeing what guests there have been this past year. I don't know what it says that I have so little recollection of most of these episodes, or the guests in them. I can still remember key moments from early episodes I haven't seen in years (When Lee Joon was on a couple weeks back, I instantly recalled his first appearance on the show 13 years ago, where they did Hide & Seek, and he took off so fast, that not even the cameramen knew where he was, and he spent like an hour hiding in a closet before he finally came back out).

That's not to say the early episodes were objectively better, but there are certainly a lot more memorable moments or whole episodes that stick with me more than more recent episodes. And then I do think about moments from episodes I thought were more recent, and then it turns out they happened like 3 or 4 years ago already.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like Mimi actually did really well with that episode because the games on offer gave everybody absolutely nothing to work with (i was so surprised when that terrible note guessing game was repeated!) and managing to actually be vocal and get some scenes is an achievement for a first time guest with what was on offer. I think the problem with guest episodes these days is that it often ends up feeling like the guests are there because the games are bad, so they've been cast to fill up an episode that has zero possibility of being entertaining. I know there has to be filler episodes when you're making one every week but sometimes I just don't know what people are supposed to actually do to make some of the games fun to watch.

Also Haha's mr free meals character has given me a new appreciation for him. It's not an amazing bit, but I at least appreciate that he can always come up with some new role to play.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seok Jin will be taking a hiatus from the show due to undisclosed health issues.

quote:

Hello,

This is Esteem Entertainment.

Recently, Ji Suk Jin, following a health examination, was advised to undergo treatment and has decided to take a break from SBS's 'Running Man.' He will take a short rest to regain his strength and will do his best to return in a healthier state as soon as possible.

Thank you always for your support and love for Ji Suk Jin.

Thank you.

I hate to speculate, but they do make constant references on the show to his smoking. I hope it's not related to that and I hope it's not too serious, but I also wonder how long he'll actually be gone for, and if he'll actually come back.

So now we're down to 5 members. You CAN round that out by just bringing in more guests, but I feel like they really need to get some new members added fast. I thought Shin Ye-Eun showed some promise during the Singapore episodes, and I saw a spark of something with Joo Hyun-Young and Kwon Eun-Bi in this latest episode. They seemed appropriately mischievous and brazen (Eun-Bi especially) that could be well utilized if they adjusted the show's format again to better suit them.

I guess we'll see what happens. It's just such a bummer to see the cast dwindling down like this and feeling like the show's gotten too "comfortable" to breathe new life into things. As much as I do enjoy the familiarity and banter that comes from everyone being together for so long, I don't also want that to be what brings the show to an end.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I get that it's the end of the year and they're down to 5 cast members, but an actual clip show episode? That's incredibly disappointing to see. We watched about 10 minutes and weren't enjoying it. I'd rather just watch the episodes again.

Please don't die Running Man. Just get better. :(

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, bummer for the clip show but it makes sense. It was probably a down ratings day anyway with New Years.

Preview for next episode looks fun at least.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Tbh I don't actually think Running Man is in any danger of dying. If you look at other new shows SBS have tried in 2023 like No Math School Trip for a variety show, or Universe Ticket for a kpop survival show, both of them have rated significantly worse than RM and they don't have anywhere near the same level of streaming viewership as RM either. If SBS killed Running Man I don't think they could replace the show with something that would guarantee them better ratings.

I probably don't mind the clip episode too much because it's understandable and there's a new Pinggyego episode with Jae Seok, Se Chan and Lee Seojin I can watch instead anyway

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I recently introduced a friend to Korean shows via The Genius and Great Escape, and she asked if we could watch Running Man because she heard it was a fun time. So we went back and watched some old classics on New Year's Eve.

To this day, I think the French village episode (#40) with the two team "orchestras" is the most feel-good hour of television I've ever watched. The nametag game is okay if pretty one-sided, but once they get to the music part, I don't think I stop smiling the entire time.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WtA7L4q3k
Jong-Kook's orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Kfj4-gBWM
Jae-Suk's orchestra

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The past few weeks of episodes, we've seen a lot of Kim Dong Hyun as sort of a filler cast member, while Suk Jin was out. I gotta say, if they wanted to just officially add him to the show, I would be OK with it. He's been a lot of fun to watch and he works well with the other members.

Also, the PD of Sixth Sense is coming out with a new variety show that will have Jae Suk, Cha Tae Hyun, Se Chan, Jennie, and others, and it will be available globally on Prime. So that could be fun to check out when it comes out next month.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2024

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I was thinking the same thing about Dong Hyun, he’d be good to have as an opponent for kjk in the odd physical game as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of, what I like is how he and Jong Kook don't feel similar in any way. They're both big tough guys, but Jong Kook feels more capable and calculated, while Dong Hyun is kind of oafish and reckless. He has big himbo energy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Dong Hyun was most recently on 1n2d right? He seems familiar but I can’t place where I saw him, variety show wise.

Also what’s the title of the Amazon Jaesuk pilot?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

He was a prominent member of The Great Escape

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TV Zombie posted:

Dong Hyun was most recently on 1n2d right? He seems familiar but I can’t place where I saw him, variety show wise.

Also what’s the title of the Amazon Jaesuk pilot?

Apartment 404. Really looking forward to it given the cast. I think it’s the Sixth Sense PD that’s doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first episode of Apartment 404 came out a couple days ago. I'm almost done watching it (been splitting it up to make it last longer), and I think it's got a lot of potential to be a really good show. My first impression is it's kind of like a cross between Running Man and The Genius.

Would there be interest in a thread for it?