Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
- - - - -
Most Recently Aired:
- 141 - April 14th - Eun Ji-Won, Jessica (SNSD)
- - - - -
Upcoming:
- 142 - April 21st - Lee Bo-Young, Lee Sang-Yoon
- - - - -
Most Recent iSubs Release :
- 109 - Eun-Hyuk (Super Junior), Park Tae-Hwan, Son Yeon-Jae
- - - - -
Current Watchthrough Episode:
- 82 + 83 - Lee Da-hae, Oh Ji-ho
----------------

What is this?

Running Man is a South Korean variety show, featuring a recurring cast of regulars plus a different guest or guests ever week. If you’re unfamiliar with the variety show concept, think of it as a group of hilarious people attempting to perform various tasks in order to win some reward, or escape an embarrassing punishment. Simple enough stuff; one of the suggestions for the thread title was, “Imagine The Amazing Race on 1/5th the budget with 5x the cleverness and hilarity”, which sums the show up reasonably well.

Where this show leaves others behind, then, is something of a perfect storm. The cast are funny, the writing and tasks are excellent, the format changes often enough that it doesn’t get stale, the guests are (for the most part) never misses, and the humour is broad and understandable enough that it’s easy to find funny even if you watch the show unsubtitled. There’s no unique feature or easy to describe single selling point I can use to grab your attention; it’s just an incredibly entertaining show. The best advertisement for it, simply, is to watch it; if you aren't interested enough to read the rest of this post, just skip on down to the episode links in the second post and take your pick from our recommended episodes. If you'd like to know a little more before you dive in, read on!

DivisionPost posted:

WOW.

Somebody is going to bring this to the attention of MTV one day, and if they can get the cast chemistry HALF as right as SBS got it here they will be paid
in fully loaded Brinks Trucks for a second season.

Why are they Running?

While the minor tasks every episode change, the central concept is always the same; the team travel to some Korean landmark, and take on a number of challenges, either individually or in teams, one of which will be a race of some kind. Early on in the show this is simply finding some (often very well hidden) items around the chosen location, but as time goes on the challenges start to revolve more specifically around whatever location the show is set at that week, or on the guests. A pretty frequent form is a massive game of hide and seek, where one team must complete a task while the other team is charged with hunting them down; later on in the series, the race task becomes a single overall challenge with the smaller tasks set along the way.

Who are the Men (and Women)?
---------------------------------------------------------

Yu Jae-Suk
(A little note first; these being Korean names, they’re in the Korean name order and may be transliterated differently in different sources and subs.)
The main host (MC), if someone is explaining the rules of the latest challenge it’s usually him. When split into teams he’s also usually one of the leaders; very famous in Korea with an incredibly established TV career. A very old hand at such shows, Jae-suk mixes some amount of cunning with a very poor athletic skill other than in running away. Gains something of a reputation as a backstabber as the series goes on.

Ji Suk-Jin
The oldest Running Man, and the least athletically-inclined (with one possible exception) of the recurring cast. Tends to get the brunt of the old jokes among the members, and usually gets caught very early and easily. The person who the others would probably least want on their team.

Kim Jong-Kook
The Commander. A singer, formerly one half of Turbo and now solo, and easily the most physically capable of the cast. When split into teams, he’s often a leader, and his competitiveness usually means that if given an opportunity he’ll take charge; really doesn’t like losing. The mere suggestion that he might be somewhere nearby when he’s chasing puts hiding members into a state of frantic terror.

Kang Gary (Kang Hee-Gun)
A rapper, one half of the duo Leessang. Starts off with a cool image. This doesn’t last. Has a tendency to pull a surprise win out of the bag, probably due to the fact that he’s fitter than a lot of the cast. Also very popular with the guests.

Haha (Ha Dong-Hoon)
Another singer and general entertainer, the most childish and exhibitionist of the cast. Regularly falls in love with whichever female guest is on this week.

Song Ji-Hyo
The Ace. The sole long-term female member, an actress, and generally thought of as either the most or the second most formidable opponent, after Jong-Kook. Doesn’t actually join the cast until a few episodes in, but she settles in rapidly enough to not be an outsider. Switches between having an extremely good eye and noticing small details, to staring vacantly into space.

Lee Gwang-Soo
Tall, gangly, awkward, prone to falling over when chased, one of the two younger cast members, originally a model and now many things, including actor. Hopeless at most games, subject to the most jokes at his lack of ability and general aura of failure. Even from the first episode.

Song Joong-Ki
The pretty boy, another actor, and the youngest regular cast member. Unsurprisingly popular with the female guests, he’s also very competitive but unlike Jong-kook mental tasks are his area of expertise. Or so he'd claim.

Lizzy
An idol from the group After School, and a latecomer to the regular cast. Lizzy first pops up as a guest in the teen numbered episodes, fully joining a few episodes later, before leaving after about seven episodes. She's perky. Very perky.

Ok, so they're the regulars. What about everyone else?
Each episode sees the regular members joined by guests; anywhere from none at all to about seven or so, though for most episodes it's just two. These guests are a random sprinkling of Korean celebrities; anything from comedians, muscians, actors/actresses, idols, and the like. Much as with television you might be more familiar with, often these guests will be on the show to raise awareness for some new show/film/album they have out, and sometimes the show may even be loosely themed around some role they may be famous for. However, you're not missing much by not knowing who these people are in advance; the show will itself certainly tell you who they are, the reactions of the regular members will tell you how big a coup having them on is, and since the variety format is so popular in Korea most guests will be old hands at knowing how to be entertaining.

Of course, you'll also get wide-eyed newbies not entirely sure what the hell is going on. Opinions differ as to which are more fun.

Who are these other people who keep popping up? AKA The Crew, and Everyone Else
As the show goes on, various crew members and people otherwise involved with the making of the show get themselves a bit of airtime, or become the butt of running jokes. This section is one which'll be updated most over time.

Jae-Suk's VJ (Ryu Kwon-Ryeol)
If a task calls for the cast members to split up, then that's where the portable camera-toting VJs come in. Jae-Suk's regular VJ first draws attention to himself through not being the fittest guy when it comes to running about, but later displays his true loyalty. Popular in Thailand China abroad!

Jong-Kook's Manager (Kim Gab-Jin)
First appeared on the show just because he wanted some screentime. Occasionally appears on camera whenever an additional person is needed to give out instructions, move things about, and so on.

The maknae Floor Director (Go Dong-Wan)
Once the "Find the Guest" missions start, the maknae FD pops up acting suspiciously and running from the members to take the heat off the real guests. He's very good at this.

The Most Photogenic Man (Hwang Myeong-Seon)
The Audio Director, a random picture of him pops up during a photograph task, utterly derailing it.

The Staff Monday Couple (Kim Yoo-Seok and Song Seon-Ah)
A crew VJ and Haha's coordi respectively, these two's first appearance leads to the former declaring the latter as his favoured female celebrity (don't ask) from those in the episode, leading them to join in on a running joke as a couple.

The One-Two Punch
Two more VJs, they recieve complaints from the guests about their stand-out clothes and accidental attention-focusing behaviour.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know any Korean. Or anything about South Korea. What the hell is a maknae?

Neither did I, when I first started watching this show. The first thing to note is that there are excellent fansubbing groups for this show, who do a very good job not only of the “basics” of subbing (timing, grammar, and the like), but produce better results than a lot of professionally subtitled works. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, this isn’t a show made dense by Korean references or concepts; the humour isn’t so different in style that it’s impenetrable. You could drop into any episode, having seen no other of this series or anything other in Korean, and enjoy it. If you have questions, this show has a considerable following already in TV IV, so simply ask in the thread if you come across an untranslated word that isn’t obvious in context, or have anything else you'd like cleared up.

Oh, and it’s the youngest member of a group.

Symphoric posted:

As someone who doesn't know or care all that much about Asian/Korean culture, I watched this show fully expecting to hate it. I figured it was just some
hipster-style thing a handful of nerds latched onto just to feel unique or different. I was completely wrong, and I now count this show right up there
with Top Gear as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

The first episode was kind of difficult to watch, but I think that's because I really had no familiarity with the format or the players. If it weren't for my
long-time desire to run wild in an empty mall I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole thing. By the third episode I was completely hooked,
and I've now watched almost 70 episodes in the last two months or so.

Alright. I’ll give it a go!

If you’re willing to make a full go at it, the best place to start would be with the first episode. Per the forum rules, if it’s up on Youtube, it’s fair game, and luckily the show is popular enough that it’s not difficult to find subtitled. There are two fansub groups that I’d recommend; the first is iSubs, who simply do a really excellent job, and take care to translate a lot of signs, notes, and other onscreen Korean that slips past those translators who simply focus on the dialogue. The other is kshownow, who are also pretty good (though with the occasional translation oddity) but are very quick about it; they’re considerably more up to date, though that won’t matter if you’re starting from the beginning.

If you’re not fully convinced, we’ve got a list of some suggested especially good episodes for you to try out in the post below this. Episode 13 in particular is strongly recommended for good reason.

I love this show! My favourite part is when…… (aka :siren:SPOILERS!:siren:)

Whoa, whoa. You'll find plenty of fans in here willing to discuss the latest episode or a fantastic episode, but a lot of the humour comes from running jokes and the like that won’t make much sense to a new viewer. Bear in mind that part of the reason you thought it was so fantastic was because it wasn't ruined in advance for you. I’ll be running a watchthrough in this thread, beginning at the first episode, so as far as spoilers go;if I’ve posted the watchthrough for an episode, any spoiler in it and before it are fair game. If not, tag your posts, please.

Ghostpilot posted:

Just ran across this show via the thread yesterday morning and since then I've gone from episode 1 to just finishing 13 which is absolutely deserving of
that #1 spot (from what I've seen thus far).

I thought the earlier episodes were a bit disjointed, but that was just a matter of them getting their footing with the format. It really does seem like it'd
be an absolute blast to do: somewhat akin to the Gaki No Tsukai annual batsu games, except every week (Hulu had the show briefly awhile back. Highly
recommend the 24-Hour Tag Batsu).

I really like that cheating is not only allowed, but encouraged as it allows for some surprising outcomes that would otherwise have been a foregone
conclusion.

May just give episode 13 a rewatch. Thanks for acquainting me with this show! :neckbeard:

:siren: Hey, there's now also a thread for Korean television in general! You can find it here.:siren:

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Where should I get started/What episodes do you especially recommend?

qbert posted:

I recommend you just start from the beginning, because some of the early episodes are actually some of the best of the series. Plus the show has
running gags and motifs that you'll appreciate more if you know the characters and the way relationships have evolved. But really you can jump in
anywhere since episodes are so self-contained (although there are a few 2-parters).

Since Archer2338 was kind enough to give me a list of good episodes to help me get into Infinity Challenge, I'll list out my personal Top 10 of Running
Man if you just want to sample episodes:

1) Episode 13 (SBS Broadcasting Center)
This one basically ends up being a comedy version of Die Hard. Absolutely phenomenal ending.

2) Episode 38 (Seoul Medical Center)
The first time the show introduced the concept of one of the Running Men being a secret spy, and still the best iteration of the idea.

3/4) Episode 4-5 (Gwacheon National Science Museum)
This was a great venue and pretty much every game they played was full of hilarious moments.

5) Episode 7 (Sejong Center for the Performing Arts)
The first introduction of the concept of one team tries to complete a mission while the other team tries to capture them. They introduce putting
bells on the shoes of the capture team, it's pretty awesome.

6) Episode 25 (Museum Comics Information Center)
One of my favorite 1 vs X segments, which is where the rest of the cast plans out a trick to play in advance on one unsuspecting member.

7) Episode 1 (Times Square)
The pilot ep is awesome, and features Lee Hyori as one of the guests (she and YJS were great together on Family Outing).

8) Episode 51 (Thailand Part 2)
Another "spy" episode, only this time the producers kept the identity a secret to the audience all the way up until the end. Great reveal.

9) Episode 39 (Seoul Folk Flea Market)
Because of the spy concept in Ep 38, everyone was extra paranoid with each other to begin with, which leads to their downfall, as two members of SNSD
guest and pick them off one by one.

10) Episode 31 (Alpensia Ocean 700 Water Park)
This episode has my favorite "One Chance" segment, which is something where the whole cast has to work together to complete a mission, and if
they do so no one gets punished at the end of the games. For this episode, they had to cross a rickety bridge over a pool of water, only the order
that each member gets on the bridge is different from the order that each member is allowed to get off the bridge on the other side. Did I mention the
bridge is extremely narrow and wobbly?

Selane posted:

It aired after that list was made, but for the love of god put episode 74super powers episode into the recommendation list.

- Episode Links -

Shows with an * or ^ sign before the episode number indicate that they're matched two-part episodes, where the first should be watched first. Guests are
linked only the first time they appear, if they have an English Wiki page; repeat appearances are numbered. (Brackets) indicate a guest's musical group,
while guests in [brackets] are unofficial guests.
pre:
Episode                        Location(s)                                      Guests  

E 1:  1 2 3 4 5                SBS Broadcasting Centre, Times Square            Hwang Jung-Eum, Lee Hyori
E*2:  1 2 3 4 5                Suwon World Cup Stadium                          Goo Hara (Kara), Lee Chun-Hee, Song Ji-Hyo
E*3:  1 2 3 4 5                          "                                                  "
E^4:  1 2 3 4                  Gwacheon National Science Museum                 Jessica (SNSD), Nichkhun (2PM), Song Ji-Hyo²
E^5:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7                      "                                                  "
E 6:  1 2 3 4 5 6              N Seoul Tower                                    Kim Shin-Young, Se7en, Son Dam-Bi
E 7:  1 2 3 4 5                Sejong Centre for the Performing Arts            Eun-Jeong (T-ara), Jo Kwon 2AM), 
                                                                                  Jung Yong-Hwa (CN Blue)
E 8:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7            Seoul Museum of History, Gyeonghui Palace        Lee Joon (MBLAQ), Park Jun-Gyu, Victoria (f(x))
E 9:  1 2 3 4                  Lotte World                                      Lee Hong-Ki (F.T. Island), Kim Soo-Ro,
                                                                                  Shin Bong-Sun
E 10: 1 2 3 4 5 6              National Museum of Contemporary Art              Cha Tae-Hyun, Yoon Se-Ah

E 11: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Central Post Office                        Jung Yong-Hwa², Kim Jae-Dong
E 12: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Design Fair (Seoul Olympic Stadium)           -------- None --------
E 13: 1 2 3 4                  SBS Broadcasting Centre                          Jang Dong-Min, Lizzy (After School)
E 14: 1 2 3 4                  Boramae Safety Experience Centre                 Lizzy²
E 15: 1 2 3 4                  Seoul Metro Subway Yard                          Kim Kwang-Kyu, Tony Ahn
E 16: 1 2 3 4 5                I'Park Mall                                      Yuri (SNSD)
E 17: 1 2 3 4                  Hanyang Women's University                       Jung Yong-Hwa³, Ko Joo-Won
E 18: 1 2 3 4                  Busan International Cruise Ship                     -------- None --------
E 19: 1                        Namsangol Hanok Village                          Nichkhun²
E 20: 1 2 3 4                  Korea Meteorological Administration              Kim Heechul (Super Junior)

E 21: 1 2 3 4                  Gwanmyeong Station                               Kim Jae-Dong²
E 22: 1 2 3 4 5                Lotte Mart                                       Choi Si-Won (Super Junior), Kim Min-Jong
E 23: 1 2 3 4 5 6              Alpensia Ski Resort                              Shim Hyung-Rae
E 24: 1 2 3 4                  Xi Wi City                                       Lee Kyung-Shil, Song Eun-Ee
E 25: 1 2 3 4                  Museum Comics Information Centre                 Park Bo-Young 
E 26: 1 2 3 4                  Nakwon Instruments Shopping Centre               Jun Jin-Young, Lee Moon-Sik [Lee Joon-Yik]
E 27: 1                        Seoul Arts Centre                                Max Chang-Min, U-Know Yun-Ho (both TVXQ)
E 28: 1 2 3 4                  Ansung Natural Resort                            Kim Byung-Man
E 29: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul, COEX Aquarium                                -------- None --------
E 30: 1 2 3 4                  Ntl. Centre for Korean Traditional               Seung-Ri (Big Bang)
                                 Performing Arts

E 31: 1 2 3 4                  Alpensia Ocean 700 Water Park                    Hyun Young
E 32: 1 2 3 4 5                Woongjin Think Big Office                        Kim Kwang-Kyu², Tony Ahn²
E 33: 1 2 3 4 5                Incheon International Airport                    Oh Ji-Ho
E 34: 1 2 3 4 5                Hongdae                                          Park Jun-Gyu², Uee (After School) [Shim Tae-Yoon, 
                                                                                 Park Geun Shik, Nana, Raina (both After School)]
E*35: 1 2 3 4                  Nanji Camp                                       Dae-Sung (Big Bang), Jung Yong-Hwa4
E*36: 1 2 3 4 5                           "                                                  "
E 37: 1 2 3 4                  Metapolis                                        Park Ye-Jin
E 38: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8          Seoul Medical Centre                                 -------- None --------
E 39: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Folk Flea Market                           Sunny, Yoona (both SNSD)
E 40: 1 2 3 4 5                Petite France                                    Nichkhun³, Taecyeon (both 2PM)

E 41: 1 2 3 4 5                National Digital Library of Korea,               Lee Sun-Gyun, Park Joong-Hoon
                                 Haha's Apartment
E 42: 1 2 3 4                  SBS Broadcasting Centre,                         - None - [Heo Young-Saeng, Kim Mi-Sook, 
                                 SBS Tanhyeon-dong Production Center              Jang Hyuk, Kim Yoon-Soo]
E 43: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7            Daegu Stadium                                    IU, Shin Bong-Sun (2nd App.)
E^44: 1 2 3 4                  Cheil Worldwide Building                         Jang Hyuk [Shin Seung-Hwan, Hong Suk-Chun]
E^45: 1 2 3 4                             "                                                  "
E*46: 1 2 3 4                  Kyobo Book Centre(s)                             Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501)
E*47: 1 2 3 4                             "                                       " [Park Beom-Shin, Kim Hong-Shin, Kang Full,
                                                                                     Jang Yoon-Joo, Jo Hye-Ryun, Kim Ok-Jung]
E 48: 1 2 3 4 5                National Museum of Korea                             -------- None --------
E 49: 1 2 3 4 5                Dream Forest                                     Goo Hara², Noh Sa-Yeon
E^50: 1 2 3 4 5                Bangkok, Pattaya (Thailand)                      Nichkhun4, Kim Min-Jung

E^51: 1 2 3 4 5                           "                                                  "
E*52: 1 2 3 4 5                Gyeongju World                                   Choi Min-Soo
E*53: 1 2 3 4 5                Blue One Resort                                  Choi Min-Soo, Yoon So-Yi 

- - - - - Special Guest Recap Section - - - - -
E 54: 1 2 3 4 5                Yeouido Race, 63 Building                        Choi Kang Hee, Ji Sung 
E^55: 1 2 3 4 5                Pyeongtaek Race, Wootdali Model Village          Jiyeon (T-ara), Suzy (Miss A), 
                                                                                Luna & Sulli (both f(x))
E^56: 1 2 3 4 5                Pyeongtaek Wootdali Model Village,               Ahn Moon Sook, Kim Sook, 
                               Hwangsaewool Village                             Shin Bong Sun3, Yang Jung-Ah
    all by Jamesman
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E*57: 1 2 3 4 5                Jeju-do                                          Cha Tae-Hyun 2), Shin Se-Kyung
E*58: 1 2                                 "                                                  "
E 59: 1 2 3 4 5                Old Seoul Station                                Choiza, Gaeko (Dynamic Duo), Simon Dominic
                                                                                 (Supreme Team), Tiger JK (Drunken Tiger),
                                                                                Yoon Mi-Rae 
E 60: 1 2 3 4 5                D-Cube City                                           -------- None --------

E^61: 1 2 3 4 5                Beijing, China                                   Kang Jiyoung (Kara), Kim Ju-Hyuk, Lee Yeon-Hee 
E^62: 1 2 3 4                             "                                                  "
E*63: 1 2 3 4 5                Goyang                                           Hyoyeon, Seohyun, Taeyeon, Yoona2, 
                                                                                Yuri2, Jessica2  (all SNSD)
E*64: 1 2 3 4 5                Paju English Village                                          "
E^65: 1 2 3 4 5                Baekje Military Museum                           Kim Joo-Hyuk2, Kim Sun-Ah, Song Joong-Ki
E^66: 1 2 3 4 5                Hangang Park                                                  "
E*67: 1 2 3 4 5                Gungpyeong Village                               Kim Soo-Ro, Park Ye-Jin
E*68: 1 2 3 4 5                Hangang Park                                                  "
E 69: 1 2 3 4 5                Incheon Culture and Arts Centre                  Choi Min-Soo2
E 70: 1 2 3 4 5                KT Building                                      Lee Min-Ki, Park Chul-Min, Son Ye-Jin

E^71: 1 2 3 4 5                Gyeonghui Palace                                 Jo Hye-Ryun, Oh Yeon-Soo  Song Joong-ki2]
E^72: 1 2 3 4 5 6              Hong Kong                                        Jung Yong-Hwa5, Lee Min-Jung, [Jackie Chan]
E 73: 1 2 3 4 5 6                         “                                                  “
E 74: 1 2 3 4 5                KINTEX                                                -------- None --------
E 75: 1 2 3 4 5                Paris Park                                       Choi Si-Won2, Hyorin (Sistar),  Minho,  
                                                                                Sohee  (Wonder Girls),  Sulli2

Guest Appearance Tallies

V    Jung Yong-Hwa
 IV    Nichkhun
III    Shin Bong-Sun
II     Choi Si-Won - Sulli - Choi Min-Soo - Yoona - Yuri - Jessica - Cha Tae-Hyun - Park Jun-Gyu - Kim Kwang-Kyu - Tony Ahn 
       - Kim Jae-Dong - Lizzy - Song Ji-Hyo - Goo Hara
Thanks to The pHo and Bradster we now also have torrents of high quality, iSubs versions of the first 100 episodes! Shower them with praise.

1-50:
Download torrent81 (50 files; 74.76 GB)
View torrent stats

51-100:
Download torrent81 (50 files; 85.02 GB)
View torrent stats

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 1
Locations: SBS Building, Times Square (No, not that one)
Guests: Lee Hyo-Ri (Singer), Hwang Jung-Eum (Singer, Actress)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The very first episode, and already we see the cast are confused by the idea that a roof garden might well be on the top floor of a building. Some of the cast are disguised to start off with, but unless you’re Korean the reveal probably won’t mean too much to you. What is worth saying is that Jae-Suk, Jong-Kook, Haha and Suk-Jin don’t get much of an introduction – they’re old hands at variety shows by this point. And starting the run of things just plain going wrong, it starts bucketing it down. If you find yourself wondering why Lee Hyo-Ri is all chummy already and they're alluding to past episodes, it's of similar shows they've done in the past.

So, we start with the first format this show takes; split into two teams, the cast and guests are locked into the location of the week overnight to complete the tasks, with the winners being the ones that get to leave. We’re also introduced to the back nametags; once removed, that member is out. Anyway, this first time, the teams are looking for the code cylinders to unlock the doors. Get used to Kwang-Soo’s musical sting. Also the rampant cheating whenever possible.

I’ve never heard of the Chicken Fight game before. I don’t know if it’s familiar to those of you in the U.S. or elsewhere, but I’ve never heard of it. It’s appropriately ridiculous, though. Seems like the kind of thing that would get played in school gym classes.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Kwang Soo is the youngest regular cast member? I never would have guessed that.
Bugger. You have caught me out in my inability to work out relative age from birthdays. Joong-Ki is younger than him by a couple of months.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Just as a little :siren:spoiler:siren: note; it's fine to post little details about future episodes, and people have been careful so far, but please don't go so far as to spoil potentially spoilable things. So, for example, you could say that Yuri is in an episode coming up, but please don't mention that she's the target of a trick outside spoiler tags until we get to it. Likewise, "This is a great episode, with an amazing ending!" is perfectly ok, but "This is a great episode, and then so-and-so surprisingly wins at the end!/turns out to be the spy!" isn't really fair to first-time watchers. Thanks.

Archer2338 posted:

That's quite an awesome OP, and very informative- great job!
One small nitpick: I'm pretty sure Gwangsoo started out as a model, and now does pretty much everything in the entertainment industry.
So far as I can tell, this seems to be pretty common in Korea. Well, common here too, since anyone who gets a little bit of fame inevitably also ends up cropping up in adverts or as reality show judges or whatever. But researching up on this for the OP, there's a lot of people whose career trajectory was "doing one job, getting famous, then doing practically every other kind of job in entertainment".

quote:

Oh, and Lizzy from After School was a fixed cast member for a while, even if she failed to secure film time - I found that surprising considering she was so funny as a guest for multiple times.
That's true, but I didn't include her because she's just not around for all that long. Also I didn't really want to spoil cast changes too much - i've put Ji-Hyo in there even though she's not in from the very start because she joins pretty quickly and becomes a big part of the show. For the same reason, I haven't mentioned Joong-Ki leaving.

quote:

Some YJS love:
Yeah, he's awesome. From what I hear on the Korean internet, he's a pretty awesome human being as well, which is hard to find among celebrities...
As someone for whom this was my first Korean TV show and thus exporuse to the guy, I kept getting surprised when, no matter where they went, not only would he be recognised by members of the public but also politely mobbed by them, above and beyond even what some idols got. He's a popular guy.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
If I recall correctly, I think the show also gets slightly longer at one point, which also helps with allowing them to manage what can get aired. But as people have said, the cast and crew start learning pretty quickly how good various members are at certain tasks, so they're able to budget the airtime much better.

The editing is at times pretty harsh - unless the guest is some really famous person, an unfunny team is a team that doesn't get much airtime. The good thing is that, for the main cast, there aren't really any screentime hogs. One episode might spend a lot of time focusing on one or two people, but over multiple episodes everyone gets some chance to be the focus.

Hell, even some of the filming crew get spotlighted now and then.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Nexal posted:

What about episode 69?
I thought that was ridiculous episode.
I liked that episode if only because, not having heard of the guest before, he had a real-life Adam Jensen beard.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Somebody is going to bring this to the attention of MTV one day, and if they can get the cast chemistry HALF as right as SBS got it here they will be paid in fully loaded Brinks Trucks for a second season.
I wouldn't be shocked. They've done Silent Library, and over here in the UK we had the Hole in the Wall show. Program makers these days seem to be trawling Youtube and watching foreign shows for their ideas.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 2
Guests: Song Ji-Hyo (Actress, future cast member) Goo Ha-Ra (Idol, Kara) Lee Chun-Hee (Actor, Model)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The first two-parter episode, with the same location and guests – in fact the final game in this episode continues on into the next one. Also the first appearance of Song Ji-Hyo, though at this point she’s just another guest. Her being treated as just another attractive female guest is very funny once you’ve seen later episodes where she’s the brunt of a very large amount of jokes. Another first sees Episode 2 begin with the Running Men separate, with a short race to the meeting point and advantages for the first there. We also see a change to the game – instead of secret codes, they’re now finding hidden golden pigs filled with money to leave, but this is all explained very well in the episode so I’ll not add to it.

Kwang-Soo’s attempts to find help with his card finding only tourists, ending up in finding some foreigners who can still actually understand it better than him, is a sort of pathetic hilarious. It’s also an incredibly impressive location, I’ve no idea how much it must cost to have filmed there, though I guess if they’re donating to charity it might have been for free. For the first part’s mini-games we have cheer section charades with all the fun of vuvuzelas, and a return of the “try to get your face in the photo” game with Gary’s peaceful expressions, which manage to get funnier every time. Then there’s a brief location switch (after yet more cheating) to the swimming pool, and the contrast between the three cowardly guys on the low platform and Ji-Hyo easily grabbing the pig on the much higher board. I’m not sure whether she’s faking or actually tried to push Kwang-Soo off. And the crew are bastards for the first time with their golden ball trick.

The final game is the diving board height challenge, which quite frankly scares the hell out of me, so I can easily sympathise with the worried members. And partway through that, we’re into the third episode!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The thing i'm surprised to realise at re-watching is mainly how early Kwang-Soo gets saddled with his pathetic persona. No-one else has really grabbed their key feature yet (except maybe YJS and JSJ, but they're old hands), but he's already got his character.

sharktamer posted:

Really enjoying rewatching the older episodes along with the thread. How often will we be watching them?
Four or so a week? I'll probably consolidate two-parters in the future, as well. Depends really on "Hey, get on with it" or "Dude, slow down." reactions.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

qbert posted:

Probably what you're hearing is 'hyung', which is a title a male uses to address an older male (kind of means 'brother'). So sometimes you'll see someone call someone else 'hyung' without actually saying their name. The girls will use 'oppa' to address older males and guys will use 'noona' to address older females.
And one used in the first episode, unni, is the female-to-older-female equivalent of hyung.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Opinions as to whether an episode was good or bad aren't spoilers.

Opinions could be based on a guest being terrible/great, on the location being interesting or not, on the challenges being fun or not, on simply the whole episode itself not being as fun as another episode. So long as the reasons for why you consider an episode to be good or bad are spoiled, someone who hasn't seen that episode yet can go into it and be find that what one person disliked they liked, or vice-versa. People have different likes and dislikes, so one person's favourite episode can be another's boring miss-step; and, irregardless of "majority rules", one poster is one poster - you can't know whether qbert's opinion places him with most people or on his own.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 3
Guests: “
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

A continuation of the second episode. In the future, two-part episodes will be condensed into one post for the sake of these, because there’s really no reason not to. Anyway, back to the pool.

It was asked up thread about whether some parts of the show were edited out more towards the beginning, and here’s another example; the girls jumping just gets added into the “Previously…” montage. I’m guessing from their reactions that they (unlike all the others) just weren’t afraid enough of it to be funny. I like this game if only because of the pressure that all the others put on them gradually grows as fewer people are left to jump – the best part of it is the reactions of everyone else to the jumpers. Especially when everyone is impressed with Kwang-Soo except Jong-Kook, because he's next.

Then it’s the golden pig hunt again, and the incredibly ambitious task of “Well, just search every drat seat in the stadium.” They’re much better in the future about assigning tasks where the difficult component isn’t just “takes a drat long time to do”, luckily. Also, note, if I’m not very much mistaken, Banjo Kazooie music. It’s also the first time that the crew start getting airtime, and while it’s not much this time now and again they get the cameras turned on them fairly often in the future. The Telepathy game is actually one i’ve heard of, though I can’t recall under what name. Quite a lot of Korean stuff, though still understandable, and I think that Sailor Moon line works pretty well, plus there’s the disturbing revelation that the Korean idol programs are just cover for schemes to unleash psychic youths on the world.

Finally, it’s actually a football related game in this football stadium. They also end up cutting out some of the penalties here, but that’s fair enough really, there’s only so much interest in kick after kick. I have to say, at the end, I do feel sorry for Ha-Ra. They joke about it, but she probably does have a full schedule for the rest of that day.

Next time – Museums! Foreign guests!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Speaking of people with prior variety experience, i'm not surprised they stuffed the first few episodes with experienced people to make sure the show got off to a good start. But had Ji-Hyo been in many such things before this?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I did wonder. There's talk about a few of the cast basically being newbies, and of course there's Jae-Suk et al who have lots of experience (though less than the man himself), but I wasn't sure how much of an established quality in variety she was.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Ha, that's my least favourite episode, as well, though it does have a couple of good bits. Good to know i'm not the odd man out on it.

Anyway, next episode's another two-parter, and i'll have both up tomorrow. I'd honestly forgotten which episode this was, so it was a nice surprise - it's actually one of the first I saw, and it's as funny in the rewatch as it was the first go round.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episodes: 4 + 5
Guests: Song Ji-Hyo (2nd App.) Jessica (Idol, SNSD) Nichkhun (Idol, 2PM)

1 2 3 4

I’m uncertain whether Ji-Hyo is technically still not a regular, so she’s a guest again. The other two guests this week are both foreigners; Jessica, as you may have guessed from her name, is American, while Nichkhun is Thai and research suggests has lived all over the place. Just as an aside, it’s remarkably surprising if you’re watching some show and suddenly a girl switches unexpectedly from fluent Korean into English and what’s probably one of the most stereotypically Valley Girl accents I’ve ever heard. And yes, if you’ve been following along with the Invincible Youth thread, this is yet another SNSD girl, and there’s still plenty others.

The contrast between the two first tasks really seems as though there was supposed to be some choice or game to decide who got which, rather than it just being assigned to them. Unlike last week, I can’t really sympathise with the fear of the iguanas. Snakes, maybe, but iguanas are alright. And then probably one of my favourite bits so far, with the pool high jump, which is hilarious in and of itself even before the entire red team decide to gently caress with Gary and Kwang-Soo being drowned.

The next task also seems pretty skewed in favour of the blue team, with Jae-Suk being much easier prey than Jong-Kook. I suppose this is also technically the first hide and seek game in the show; expect plenty more of these in the future. And finally for the first part, bin boules, in which they could have at least turned Suk-Jin round a bit.

-----------------------------------------------

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

(Hopefully this is just my computer, which has been on the blink lately, but there may be sound delays here. I couldn’t find a Youtube version which didn’t have them, but it’s possible it’s just me.)

The thing I notice most after watching both halves of this is… Jessica’s really not the best of guests. After Goo Ha-Ra last time setting the bar so high for idol guests (not to mention IV), in comparison she’s just not all that interesting here. Anyway. After the end of the bin game, it’s another round of getting your face in the picture, this time back in the pool, and with the return of everyone’s favourite peaceful subject. They’re also still at the stage of the show where the cast decide on their own to come up with some rules for tasks, which works pretty well and actually sticks around, though to a lesser extent. And another pig hunt, though I have to say if I were locked in a museum overnight I’m pretty sure I’d be playing around just like Jae-Suk. And serious kudos to that crew member’s stamina and balance.

After the dance-off; Stripping! Can’t say that I’m the best judge of these matters, but possibly there’s something of interest to watchers of the right persuasion in the bus challenge, but there’s not very much to say about it other than that it gives the male cast a chance to be massive cheaters again. Finally there’s more golden pigging, and probably the coolest pig location so far with the observatory roof closing. The winners seem somewhat unfair; while the coins do allow a bit more nuance in scoring as well as not really knowing who’s doing well until the end, it’s a bit too random for how much effort is put in.

Next time; A familiar face for the IV thread followers! Probably not one of the ones you're hoping for!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Selane posted:

Jessica actually has one of the most entertaining personalities out of all the SNSD members, but even her fans(nor she) won't deny her lethargy and lack of athleticism. That's why I found it funny, they literally couldn't have picked someone less suited to this than they did. She was pretty entertaining in episode 63-64, at least. But like I said, her sister inherited all the athletic ability in her family rather than her :v:
In regards to that, I think a large part of her being better came from them being split into smaller teams (as well as the car journeys) - essentially, she had to pull her weight and get involved. Unlike here, where she's often just mucking around in the background.

quote:

And if you think she has a valley girl accent, how would you describe Tiffany? :psyduck:
Well, i'm not American, so these things are less distinct to me. To my ears, both of them when speaking English sound incredibly valley-girl-ish. To the extent that it sounds put on, even (though I know it isn't).

Nichkhun's good fun. I think the two things that are really necessary to be a successful guest on these types of shows are gameness and a willingness to get involved of their own accord, both of which he certainly has. And he's certainly the only person to have had basically their entire family on the show.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 6:
Guests: Son Dam-Bi (Loads of stuff), Se7en (Singer), Kim Shin-Young (Comedienne)

1 2 3 4 5 6

A nice surprise for the veteans of the IV thread. I liked Jae-Suk’s immediate suspicion of the apparent easy route, though this time it doesn’t serve him well at all. And Jong-Kook’s idea to try and see which of the various passers-by weren’t looking at them, and then getting roped into drawing the crowd’s attention. And the contrast between Gary and Jae-Suk’s recognizability. And the winner gets a Running Ball; these are going to last for a very long time, though their final use (here a lottery by team) gets changed around a bit, and a brief return of loving with Gary. And the guest announcer is Kim Yu-Na, who I mention because she’s probably the only person to be on this show that I’d actually heard of before I started watching.

The fact that Haha on the tins is only enough to bring him level with Kwang-Soo is hilarious to me. This game looks like a recipe for damaged feet, and I’ve actually had a pair of these kind of boots that were less so easily twistable. Clearly the reaction to last week’s nametag mission was good, because we have it again (and it’s probably the precursor to the true hide and seek missions), though the twist of having the team decide amongst themselves who’ll be the hiders means there’s the potential for the other team try to guess based on that (and the teams to try to bluff with unexpected hiders, which both do). And it also means they get to try and bluff who the hiders are, which Jae-Suk managed to fail spectacularly at but still succeed.The love locks are pretty neat. I think they have a similar tradition elsewhere; I know in Paris for certain, at least.

We’ve then got the “speed drink something with a randomly-chosen amount of additive in it”, which crops up now and then, and I know people who’d be very happy with a rice spoon full of sugar in their coffee. It’s also the first occasion of seeing Jong-Kook’s weaker side of his athletic nature; he doesn’t like eating or drinking anything at all unhealthy, which causes occasional problems. And “it no longer has anything to do with the numbers” is by far the funniest caption so far. And finally there’s united badminton, which is more like trash talk badminton.

Good guests this episode. Se7en was alright, and certainly willing to give it a go. But Shin-Young being hilarious, and Dam-Bi just looking so drat enthused about everything (especially compared to Jessica) was great.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yes, where possible, the subs I link will be from i-Subs. There's also a few cases where they've collaborated with other groups in which i'm unsure how much the results are affected (for better or worse), but by and large they seem to be the best ones out there.

TV Zombie posted:

Wasn't there some bitter medicine that they mixed with egg yolks?
I'm probably thinking of another later episode than 6 when they had that same driking challenge

I think you are thinking of a later episode.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I don't really expect everyone to wait for the watchthrough. I know I binged through episodes after watching the first one too, it's a difficult temptation to resist. Anyway, speaking of, I had some extra spare time today, so.

Episode 7:
Guests: Eun-Jeong (Idol, T-ara), Jo Kown (Idol, 2AM), Jung Yong-Hwa (Idol, CN Blue)

1 2 3 4 5 6

First thing to note is that Ji-Hyo is back, and she’s no longer a guest. Also, jesus poo poo, shoulder pads. And the position of Jong-Kook as the usual second team leader after Jae-Suk is already set. Apparently the first language to use between Japanese and Korean speakers who don't speak each other's language is English. I’m not really sure whether I should be happy or sad for that poor woman, I hope she got her DVD signed after that.

This is another really impressive venue, and that stage (especially when they cut to shots from the dress circle) is massive. And you really can’t say Jo Kwon is lacking in confidence. The first game proper is a welcome return for the photograph game, with a few different forms to take in order to be counted. Someone referred after the last episode to how funny the cast are when they’re being petty in victory, and the red team taunting the blue team’s lack of realization about the camera timer, and their better planning, was hilarious. Also, not much Gary, sadly.

We do have the very first proper hide and seek mission, though. They’re going to stick around in varying ways for a very long time, much like the Running Balls, but the differing locations, different hiding team missions, and above all else the cast make it funny every drat time. We also get the introduction of the chasing team getting their shoe bells; as Jong-Kook points out, tinkling has never been made to sound so terrifying. Jae-Suk doesn’t last long, but it’s largely what he gets up to after being caught that’s great anyway, including yet more confusing Gary.

More drinking horrible concoctions this week, and the surprise (and unwelcomed) appearance of Kwang-Soo. This time they’ve organized the spoon selection method a bit better, so it doesn’t just devolve into “give them the ladle every time”. And finally we seem to skip a game, but have the lottery again to decide who gets the punishment, which is basically the same as last week only with bread.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The key difference, i'd say, is marketing. True of many celebrities and music artists, of course, but with idol and idol groups look, personality, and ability to attract a particular niche of demographic are all carefully selected so as to appeal to the broadest range of people possible. And they get sent off to TV, radio, and shows like this and IV in order to express those qualities and gain a following (and so, money).

Think of the Spice Girls, who were essentially an idol group (or became so). Each member is given a particular personality and style they're aggressively marketed by, so (in theory) every member of the demographic you're shooting at has someone they can like for whatever reason. Any actual musical ability is helpful but not required; often you'll get (depending on size of group) maybe two people who can sing reliably well, a couple of others who can dance, and then everyone else moves about in the background and does the "ooh"s. The point is appeal, which may be because you enjoy the music, but not necessarily so.

"Boy band" and "girl band" loosely cover the same areas.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 16, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 8:
Guests: Lee Joon (Idol, MBLAQ), Park Jun-Gyu (Actor), Victoria (Idol, f(x))

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Another foreigner here; unlike Jessica, though, I don’t suppose you might guess from her name that Victoria’s Chinese, and she's very popular at the moment in the IV thread. Like last week, we start off missing one of the cast, though this time it’s Joong-Ki, and Suk-Jin recognizes his place in the way of things, the poor guy.

Anyway, more museums. I love museum episodes. First up we have two short games, but before that we have more proof that the show is at it’s funniest when the cast are just mucking about together, plus the first example of Gary liking Ji-Hyo (and the faces of the others when this is suggested are hilarious). Anyway, the first game seems like one of those things which looks ok but feels loving terrible (unless you’re Gary, apparently) – I invite any of you with chopsticks in your house to try it and not blame me if you break something. We then have hide and seek with the personal alarms, which work pretty well, and really the idea of playing hide and seek inside a historical monument tickles me. Lee Joon being fast enough that not only did he lose Victoria and the others, but also his own VJ, is great, especially considering by and large he doesn’t do a whole lot to stand out in this episode.

Next we have the drinking game, which makes me feel as though there probably could be some kind of Running Man drinking game. But far more importantly, the questions are based on the cast’s past, which means we get to see videos of them around their debuts in entertainment, which can’t really even be put into words. The drinking game itself is pretty good too, since the beverage of choice is easily the most unpleasant so far. Finally, the hot pants punishment, which also turns up quite regularly from now on.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 16, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I actually have a question, too! Watching a few Korean shows now, it dawns on me that the running times are really kinda weird. Likewise occasionally here too, I suppose, in that if it's BBC an hour-long timeslot will actually have an hour-long programme (or close to it), but how common are show lengths along the lines of RM or IV?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 9:
Guests: Lee Hong-Ki (Idol, FT Island), Kim Su-Ro (Actor), Shin Bong-Sun (Comedienne)

1 2 3 4

I suspect how much you enjoy this episode will hinge quite strongly on how much like you Shin Bong-Sun. This is a pretty awesome location; there are other theme park (or equivalent) episodes, but I don’t think any of them are indoors. Anyway, the first game is rollercoaster karaoke, which as you might well guess isn’t one of the more common challenges (karaoke, on the other hand, does show up a few times). I can’t say I’ve done much myself, but those seem to be really generous scores.

Then we’re back to the bells-on-shoes version of hide and seek, which should please some (including me, since it’s probably the best version). Jong-Kook immediately jumping in at the suggestion of groups being a bad idea was hilarious, but the continued loving with Gary just gets funnier every time, although he seems to be cottoning on. I think this is also the first time they start breaking out the Inception soundtrack, which works pretty well in these games. More of the horribly inappropriate amount of stuff in a drink game, too, and here’s another of the problems with non-normal subtitles, as they don’t actually explain what they’re drinking here. It’s apparently a sort of medicinal, herbal tea, though I’m sure someone with better knowledge than I will be able to explain in a bit more detail. Some of the “spoons” are getting a bit out of hand, too. I don’t really know how much of that coin-flipping game is skill and how much is luck, but there seems to be a lot of flipping games over the course of this show. Either way, it just goes to show that the simplest games seem to bring out the pettiness and childishness of the cast.

Finally we have more hot pants punishment, with added theme park accessories. Judging by some posts on here, I’m sure there are regrets that Joong-Ki wasn’t around again. Next time; yet more museums!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It changes, too. At some point we start getting trails for the Korean version of that ice dancing reality show.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The last one was slightly delayed, so to keep this on track, here's one for today.

Episode 10:
Guests: Cha Tae-Hyun (Actor), Yoon Se-Ah (Actress)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Another very cool location to film in. After the usual beginning ribbing, the first game seems to have been picked based on the cast hurting themselves a couple of episodes back, but the auction format of it works pretty well since it forces everyone to overbid badly. It’s also the first appearance of Jong-Kook’s manager who crops up unexpectedly now and then. Also what I’m assuming is an interesting cultural difference, with black knight cropping up as what I’d call a white knight in that situation. And Gary’s offer being immediately rejected was great.

On with the bell hide-and-seek. I suspect someone may have got on to them about it being a museum, either that or they’re being careful for Jong-Kook again, because they’re a lot more respectful of the “no running” rule. It’s also the introduction of the hiding boxes, which they use occasionally when there’s not a vast amount of room to hide in the chosen location. That’s fine though, since the speed walking chases are probably even funnier because of it. And the twist to their mission that the hiding team weren’t expecting is a very good idea. The blue team’s hopes resting on, of all people, Suk-Jin as the last person to get caught is probably down to the inability to run, and Jong-Kook suddenly appearing in frame to thwart his getaway is no the less funny for being expected.

Then there’s the regular cup of tea round, this time with the deciding game being a drawing one. As you’ll see from this and later games, there are some good artists in the cast, and some godawful ones. Also there’s the opportunity leapt upon by the rest of the cast to further push Gary and Ji-Hyo together, which results in much adorable awkwardness. Jong-Kook suddenly being unchivalrous when it came to the coffee was something I didn’t see coming and so really funny, even if he did change his mind after. And finally they end up changing the rules for the punishment, but it has probably the funniest results of the punishments so far, largely because of the crowd they end up drawing.

Cha Tae-Hyun is a pretty awesome guest on this one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

It's actually just a substitute, like a pinch hitter. It's nothing to do with coming in to save the girl or anything. The female equivalent is a "black rose," I believe.
Ha, yet another cultural difference, I guess - I had to go look up pinch hitter, too. But thanks for the explanation.

SnowWolf posted:

I haven't watched Korean variety shows since X-Man (Dangyunhaji is my favorite TV segment ever), but I checked out Running Man ep.1 and felt right at home. I plan on watching the episodes in order... when do the "bad" episodes start so I can expect them?
As with what others have said, there's the episode that individually we seem to have arrived at a consensus on being ruined by a guest (which is a shame, since there is some funny stuff in there). Other than that, while some would prefer some of the earlier episodes, I don't think the show's jumped the shark just yet, which is almost 80 episodes in.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 11:
Guests: Jung Yong-Hwa (2nd App.), Kim Jae-Dong (Comedian)

1 2 3 4 5

I’d point out something funny about the opening, but I’m entirely distracted by Ji-Hyo in glasses. So we’ll skip past the first example of Gwang-Soo’s framing and onto another first, the 1 vs. X challenges. Simply put, one of the cast or a guest believes that they’re all taking part in one game; all the others have a different task they have to do without the victim noticing. It’s the first time they have this kind of major deception on the show, and it’s certainly not the last; we’ve got the Spy episodes coming up too, but that’s for then. It’s amusing to me to think that something which plays a big role in the show came originally from (as described here) the running gag of loving with Gary.

With that said, we have the fake stamping challenge. One of the joys of the deception tasks is the cast’s utter inability at times to keep a straight face. This is also the first episode with the thief card game (huh, a lot of firsts in this one), which also works pretty well by essentially being based around the usual ribbing the cast gets on with. Suk-Jin’s baldfaced lying before the jenga game, only backing down when threatened, was pretty great, likewise the brief return of (un-scheduled, anyway) loving with Gary, and it later backfiring on Jae-Suk. And then a game I’ve actually played (hooray for long car journeys), though with the first and last letters rather than the syllables necessary in Korean, which also inevitably descended into arguments about the rules. I like also that for the last couple of rounds they don’t tell us where the thief card goes, so you can try and guess yourself on their reactions.

Last up we have the hide and seek mission, this time with more running and more hiding spaces. Yong-Hwa continues to be a beast at these games, and Jae-Suk being led to believe he was being let go was priceless. And Jong-Kook is yet again incredibly annoyed at losing.

This is the other usual alternative with the Running Balls; some episodes the whole show is a team game, so the balls are simply team balls, but when there are individual games they use individual balls to decide the losers, in this case with Yong-Hwa and Ji-Hyo aptly rewarded for basically winning the hiding task alone. Finally, more hot pants.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 12:
Guests: None.

1 2 3 4 5

There are a few episodes without any guests at all, but they’re not very common. Anyway, we start with another 1 vs. X game, with this episode’s victim being Joong-Ki. This time they have a more difficult task, both to do and to cover up, so seeing their rather desperate at times strategy meeting at the beginning is pretty funny. And it’s nice to see Jae-Suk be on the receiving end of the others loving with him for once. And them making the quiz deliberately hard but still have Joong-Ki threaten to know some of the answers was great if only for the reactions of everyone else, and the cast remains utterly unable to keep a straight face (and not cheat).

After a bit more of Gwang-Soo’s framing, we have the thief game (plus the minigames in between rounds). Both the games in this segment are ones I’m familiar with – they seem to pick these short, common games for this part. Jong-Kook again being unchivalrous when it comes down to it is great, plus the now apparently standard sucking up to whoever’s deciding who sits where.. except for Gwang-Soo. And Jae-Suk finally being unable to stand the tension is one of the funniest moments so far.

Finally we have the bomb-defusal hide and seek, with everyone else against Jong-Kook and his boys. It’s another good location for this; not only are there lots of places to hide, but the gaps mean there’s tension when they need to run between them and the non-standard architecture and objects within make hiding even more of a possibility. There’s also the continuing Gary/Ji-Hyo saga, now escalating to Gary letting her off from being caught.

Finally, more hot pants punishment. With the lottery this time, they alter it to make it the first balls that come out full stop, rather than the first people, so Haha’s getting two in a row really doesn’t seem popular with the others, though him getting Jong-Kook to humble himself for the extra chance seemed like fair payback for earlier.

Next time; there’s a reason it was first on that recommendations list.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Kuno posted:

I basically got way the hell addicted to this show and watched all the way up to episode 41.

Oh god :qq:
Welcome to the club! I'm pretty sure this is most people's reactions to the show.

So, problem. Per the discussion a couple of pages back, the end of this next episode isn't up for viewing anywhere online. More importantly it isn't on Youtube, so while there are sources there isn't anything I can really link to. Should I put up links to the first parts? None of it? Any general ideas?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Lyer posted:

Are we only allowed to link to youtube? I did find working links to dailymotion. Can we just point people in the direction of the isubs forum for the entirety of the episode?
It's not so much that only Youtube links are allowed, but one of the standards in the rules is that it being up on there means that interested parties haven't yet attempted to take it down. For now i'll go with the Dailymotion links, but hopefully i'll be able to switch them out later (or if a mod decides it's not kosher).

TV Zombie posted:

It's also pretty strange as to how this particular part is missing while a lot of the other episodes have remained intact online.
My assumption is it's the TV programme they end up on in the punishment that's pinging SBS's sensors, rather than Running Man.

Episode 13:
Guests: Jang Dong-Min (Comedian), Lizzy (Idol, After School)

1 2 3 4

If you’re following along with this thread but weren’t bothered by earlier episodes, or you’re looking for a good jumping in point, watch this episode.

First thing to say is; I hope you like Lizzy. She’s not in the cast list in the OP, but she does in the late teen episodes become a temporary main cast member (and she’s also in next week’s episode). Anyway, we start this episode where the last left off, thanks to the punishment. Lizzy repeatedly mentioning non-SBS stuff, in their own building no less, was pretty great. And we have a unique punishment, suited to the location, detailed right from the start; unfortunetly, the identity of the losers is really obvious even with the faces disguised, so I’d advise being careful about that if you’re reading this before watching (frankly, the “in this episode” flashforwards quite often seem to spoil a lot of things, which sometimes doesn’t matter and sometimes is pretty annoying).

We start off straightaway this week with the thief card game, and Jae-Suk really has terrible, terrible luck with this game, though his quickly seizing advantage of Lizzy’s mistake was hilarious. The first game is the first bit/last bit word game from last week, which manages to continue on some running jokes and also adds Gwang-Soo’s attempts to avoid being out. I wonder what the odds are on that thief card passing. Then we have a similar game to the calling out game last week.

Next up is the hide-and-seek, this time with the mission being to find certain videotapes, and it’s really a great location for this game; the usual long hallway-style floor with the doors at either end, plus all the random rooms, work well for it. I wonder if, by now, they have Running Man clips in that museum? Ji-Hyo’s automatically collapsing when she saw Jong-Kook, combined then with her immediate readiness to betray a teammate (and pick which one, for that matter) was unexpectedly funny. Getting the staff to actually go snoop around for them is a pretty inevitable result of the growing presence they’re having on the show. Gary’s hiding place is probably my favourite bit of the entire show, jointly with the blue team innocently opening a door, only to find Jong-Kook literally right behind it. Finally, we have Jae-Suk (and his VJ)’s finest hour, which I’m not even going to try and describe since all of it is awesome.

Finally we have the punishment, which is certainly a change from the norm. Jae-Suk deservedly gets to skip out on it, though, and that’s the important thing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The best part of it is when he actually elbows Jong-Kook to the side to escape. JK actually seems to take a moment to think, "Did that just happen?".

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm just going through some of the upcoming episodes, and there's a run of really good episodes here. In the first place I watched quite a few out of order, so it's nice now to watch them back in order and see a good run. We've got Yong-Hwa back again, Yuri, the ship, the trainyard. Basically all the episodes up to the ski resort one are excellent.

sharktamer posted:

I really hope you'll be adding the various crew members to the opp when they start to appear.
As to that, when I was first writing up the thread I considered just having "the crew" as a general cast member, but I came to the same idea you did. So yes, basically, assuming I can find good enough pictures of the wigged producer, the Staff Monday Couple, 1-2 Punch, and so on. Likewise Lizzy will go up there in a few episode's time.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 14:
Guests: Lizzy (2nd. App.)

1 2 3 4 5

Another interesting location this week. I’m afraid I don’t know the geography of the region well (though I know Japan has it’s fair share of natural disasters), but I guess Korea is on some faults or the like. It’s also the birth (officially, anyway) of the Monday Couple, a running gag which will pretty much be brought up in every episode from now on.

This week we have a reversed 1 vs. X; this time, Jong-Kook is solely in on the plot against every else, a version which comes up fairly often and leads on to the spy format of later games. Anyway, it’s applied to a singing game, which makes the idea all the better since JK is a singer himself. The game itself (without the 1 vs. X twist) comes up fairly often, as do the blowing microphone. He’s actually pretty cunning at this, but everyone else largely does his job for him, even when the crew change things around a bit. I feel bad for Joong-Ki earnestly trying to help him out. It’s also fun to see everyone’s singing style when they’re not on a rollercoaster; Gwang-Soo and Haha are especially passionate on these tasks.

Next up is the thief card game. I’d forgotten how long it went on, to be honest, but it’s a good excuse for the minigames in between rounds that inevitably end up with bickering and petty gloating, so it’s all good. Speaking of, the first game is probably familiar to most of you, though I know it under a different name. The last three are disturbingly good at the game. Gwang-Soo taking advantage of the opportunity to lord it over the rest of them for once is hilarious. The standing up game is, thankfully, a bit less tricky to get than the counting games in the previous episodes.

Finally up is the hide-and-seek game, which works pretty well here, with the payphone mission meaning the hiders have to be out in the open for an extended bit of time. Jae-Suk’s courage from last time seems to have used up his year’s supply, judging by his encounter with Jong-Kook. I was impressed by Lizzy’s acting, only for it then to fall down when she didn’t figure out she was talking to a prop. And once again the VJs get involved in getting the members out of a sticky situation.

And to finish off, sausage district punishment. Make your own jokes. Next time; Hitting on Ji-Hyo.

I feel the need to point out, given that this episode is the birth of the Monday Couple, that Ji-Hyo turning up at one of Gary’s concerts to sing as mentioned earlier in the thread is actually up on Youtube currently, though they’re all fancams and pretty poor quality.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 15:
Guests: Tony Ahn (Idol) Kim Kwang-Kyu (Actor)

1 2 3 4

On the face of it, an incredibly boring location. But it’s actually a pretty awesome one when it comes to the chasing game.

First up, a sort of 1 vs. X, only there’s no trick or person secretly in on a plot. This time round, the first game (and pre-investigation) is who can successfully hit on Ji-Hyo, which goes probably about as well as you’d expect. The different approaches the men take are pretty funny, but Gwang-Soo shines out as really getting into the show again this week, and the “house” joke just gets funnier every time. The repeated cuts to Gary’s blank face when everyone else is doing ok are great as well. I suspect those Joong-Ki and Jong-Kook fans in the thread will be happy with this particular segment.

After all that, we come to the hide-and-seek, which has a really strong chasing team (or maybe just a really weak mission team) this week, but it’s actually a good game this week so it doesn’t seem to matter. This is also the first time they have the concept of resurrection tags, which don’t show up too often but does provide a nice little quirk to the game. I end up feeling sorry for Kwang-Kyu after Suk-Jin basically sacrifices him. After being overpowered yet again, Haha takes the opportunity to do some more action movie posing, and manages to get caught. Jae-Suk sadly isn’t as good at pretending to be out as Lizzy was last week, and the free-for-all that then ensues is pretty hilarious.

Another random game cut out, this time the thief card game, but I’m not really sure I’d want to cut out anything else in this episode to make room for it. And Haha is again incredibly lucky in the lottery.

Next time; the members make Yuri cry.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I'm about 30 episodes in, and I'm pretty sure Ji Hyo genuinely has the hots for Jong Kook. Then again, any sane human being mere mortal, male or female, has the hots for Jong Kook. :colbert:
This was also my thoughts, too. They seem to give off a vibe in the later episodes of boinking behind the scenes.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Archer2338 posted:

Related note: 2 girls of AKB48, the biggest girl group in Japan, got kicked out because photos of them with their boyfriends leaked out, and it was against the group's rules to allow dating.
I see AKB48 brought up a lot in these kinds of conversations because of what you point out here, and honestly every time I think i'm more weirded out by the concept of a girl group with so many drat members in (not to mention subgroups and the youth groups and whatever they have going at the moment) than the rabidness of fans.

Besides, apart from the big difference of it literally being written into some of these group's contracts and companies getting involved, fans seem to have similar reactions wherever. I'm not at all aware of their fandom, but i'm guessing Bieber and Gomez got similar hair-tearing reactions.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 16:
Guests: Yuri (Idol, SNSD)

1 2 3 4 5

Our second SNSD member on the show, and certainly not the last, those of you from the IY threads will know how good Yuri is at these kinds of show. But it’s all for naught to start with, because this week it’s another 1 vs. X, with Yuri as the dupe. This time it’s charades, and with the whole team having a chance to win, putting the onus pretty firmly on Yuri when she’s “failing”, and she’s as hilariously competitive about the whole thing as you’d expect. And once again the team are godawful at any kind of subtle deception, but her not having seen the previous episodes was probably the decisive factor in her not getting it. And they seem to end up feeling bad about it when she does actually cry, but not enough to not gloat about winning at the end of it.

Second up, a location-themed game, and after making an idol cry, they’re going to make her gain weight and weigh her. Always nice to see the location-themed challenges, largely because it’s a bit more variety, plus Jong-Kook’s aversion to eating anything unhealthy rears up again. Haha totally misreading Suk-Jin and Ji-Hyo’s bickering was pretty funny, and Gwang-Soo being relegated to the third wheel in their little imagined drama was hilarious.

Lastly it’s the hide-and-seek, and shopping malls are probably one of the better locations they have this game in, since there’s so much variety. Ji-Hyo turning the tables on a previously very happy Gwang-Soo was great, as was her opposite reaction to Jong-Kook, and Haha opening the door to find Jong-Kook literally just sitting there waiting for him was probably the funniest part of the episode.

Finally, more hot pants punishment. Yuri looks weirdly good in that moustache.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

IY. You keep saying V for some reason.
Thanks for catching it. I think it's probably a Roman numerals thing; I never really need to type out IY, but IV is much more common and I guess i've gotten into the habit of it without noticing.

As to Jong-Kook being terrifying, I forget which episode it is, but there's one in particular where his looming and the camera angle make it really great. I'll probably ask for gifs when that part comes up.