Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I remember watching one of the later eps because SNSD were the guest stars and as the episode wore on, I starting caring more about the cast members than I did about the girls. This show is really loving good.

I find it funny that Hyo-ri is probably one of the most beautiful woman in Korea and one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen in my life. She is totally unrepentant about it and it's hilarious.

Somewhat related anecdote, my friend recently got discharged from the Korean Army because he tore his ACL while chicken fighting. poo poo is serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I found a thing, the xbox360 now has an app for youtube and dailymotion. I've been able to watch running man on my tv! However if it's the standard quality vid you see on youtube, it looks really lovely on TV. I loaded up an HD vid and that seemed pretty good, however I don't think anyone has ever uploaded HD quality RM eps. I did fire up IY1 eps that were subbed by soshifted and those were of acceptable quality. I guess the IY2 eps are probably going to be watchable, but RM eps will probably have to be regulated to the computer.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Goo Hara was the blue team's MVP. She single-handedly won it for for the blue team. Between finding a ton of golden pigs and dropping 4 in a row in the guessing game, she was boss. :v: Does anyone know when this show aired? Was it before/during/after IY1?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tiara posted:

I had only briefly skimmed the description of the video before watching this episode, so I thought that the female contestant that was staying on the show was going to be Hara, and I got so happy because she's been the most competent female on the show so far.

If you want more Goo Hara awesomeness, I recommend watching Invincible Youth season 1. She was pretty tame in RM compared to what she does there. Looks like it was right at the height of IY1 during this filming, no wonder she seemed to comfortable on tv. Of all the IY1 stars, I really miss Hara and Narsha the most, I don't count any of the SNSD members since they're on a bunch of shows already and show up a bunch of times on RM!

Lyer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 10, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jessica :swoon:
Then I actually watched the rest of the ep. :smith:
I think I was expecting something like Sunny/Yuri, since I'm used to seeing SNSD rear end kicking from IY. Joking aside, she's one of the more funny/entertaining members of the group when they're on talk shows. She really was ill suited for this ep and I wonder if she had any idea of what she was getting into when she signed on.

Gary owns. I think after the handful of eps I've seen, he's become the guy I always root for to win. The picture challenges are hilarious, I wonder if he does it intentionally. Even if he does, it's pretty impressive he can keep such a stoic face when jumping around.

I loved the over-enthusiastic celebrations after the trash can curling event, there's something about being petty in victory that really hits the right notes. Do they continue with this trend later on? I'm not sad to see the golden pigs go, I agree that it was too random sometimes.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 12, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kuno posted:

One question though, what exactly is an idol? Is it just like a popstar or something?

Basically yes. I'm not sure if there are any differences between idols and "musicians", I do know basically all pop stars/groups come from a farm system the record labels have.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

The thing I remember most about Episode 7, aside from the introduction of the standard hide-and-seek format with the bells and the item hunt, is that it's the first appearance of my favorite recurring RM guest: Jung Yonghwa. He's certainly not the funniest guest the show's had, but what you'll come to learn is that he's a freaking BEAST at the games. He basically single-handedly carries the mission team to victory here, and every subsequent appearance he has on the show coincides with similarly awesome performances.

Just finished ep7 tonight, I need to hurry up and watch ep8 if I want to keep up. Yonghwa IS a loving beast. Does the cast get to see the film after the show? I wonder how they reacted when they found out they were so close in getting him out twice.

Did Kwangsoo really come at 4am? That's some loving dedication, makes him immensely more likable. Hilarious too, you could tell everyone was tired as poo poo.

And I don't remember Eunjeong being this cute when she was on IY, wow.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I had no idea that she was "married" to Yonghwa. Is he a beast in that tv show too? :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Son of a bitch. Looks like I have another show I need to watch. He totally won me over in ep7 and she's one of my favorite members of SNSD.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Just finished ep 8 here. I agree with the whole setting kind of detracting from the whole episode. Didn't feel like there were many interesting places they could hide in. The alarms were *ok*, but I felt the bells from the previous episode made things a lot better by loving with their minds more. I also think that a large part of the 1st segment being a sit down challenge made it seem the guests didn't have much to do. I was surprised at how well Victoria did at all the challenges though. The drinking game was the best part of the episode, you really see here the cast just getting a kick out of ribbing each other.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

For once I'm ahead of the curve! The rollercoaster karaoke was amazing. Kwang Soo getting the lowest score wasn't surprising, but still utterly hilarious. How come Gary didn't do it? Or was he edited out?

They weren't joking about the "game devil", god drat that guy owned hardcore. I loved the imperial march theme combined with the eagle sound effect. It was really cool of Jong Kook to play along with Bong Sun and I was rooting for them to win the hide and seek challenge once the Whitney Houston song started playing.

I didn't really miss Joong Ki at all honestly, I feel all the cast members right now have totally settled into their "characters" and he just seems to be the generic cool guy. Not that I don't like him, I just feel he doesn't make a big of an impacted compared to say, Kwang Soo or Haha.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I caught a few eps of we got married and saw this episode of RM. It's safe to say that I have a man crush on Yonghwa. Dude is awesome.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Watching ahead a few of the eps and Kwang Soo is loving killer delivering those deadpan burns to the other members. Dude is hilarious.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Of all the episodes I've seen so far, I think ep 12 is my least favorite. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that I wasn't laughing my rear end off the entire time like I was with the other ones. That being said, Gary letting Ji Hyo escape made up for it. I wonder how much of it is him really liking her and how much it is of him hamming it up for TV.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Read the wiki article on it, is it a good show? Didn't realize that was the drama that Goo Hara was in. Now I have two celebrities on that show I like. :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Are we only allowed to link to youtube? I did find working links to dailymotion. Can we just point people in the direction of the isubs forum for the entirety of the episode?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

This episode was everything you all said it would be. It doesn't get better than this one does it? At the end when you see Jae Suk and the sweat stains on his blue get up, you really know he was fighting this one with everything he got. Just amazing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I was totally rooting for KJK to win the challenge, dude looked so happy when he fooled them all. Kwang Soo has really come alive these past few eps and it's awesome to see.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

The 1 vs X in EP 15 is one of the best they've ever done. Just so hilarious from beginning to end, especially Kwang Soo's jokes about Ji Hyo getting drunk and stealing is wallet. It was just completely the opposite approach from what any of the other guys did and it slayed me. His failed attempts at magic were also funny to watch.

Kwang Soo framing/burns have been the best thing lately. I love how he keeps a straight face when he does that, it's what makes it work.

On a related note, I decided to check out some of Gary's work and holy poo poo, Leessang is really loving good. Not just, "hey this is pretty good for Korean Hip-Hop", it's really good loving hip-hop period. Gil has a killer voice.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

oisn1 posted:

Maybe you can explain this a bit for me since I'm new to the cultural differences in Korean media and American media. Are celebrities supposed to stay single or something? I find the "idol" culture very different from celebrities in the US.

The fans are just very rabid compared to american audiences. A day or two ago there was a preview for a TV show that had a the actor and actress kiss (Jessica, an idol from SNSD) and people were flipping their poo poo. There's a youtube clip somewhere and if you read the comments (don't) you can see how crazy some of the fans are. It just boils down to them being jealous, taken to an extreme.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I didn't think Yuri was that great in this episode. Aside from the 1 vs. X, she was pretty unremarkable, even then it was mostly because of her being the target. She was my least favorite cast member in IY1 and in SNSD, so I don't know if that's spilling over to RM as well. The best was the grocery store segment though. Joong Ki basically being the wingman for Kwang Soo and getting Yuri to feed him was hilarious. Also Suk Jin outing Ji Hyo's weight was funny as well.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I couldn't believe that Kim Jong Kook and the kids are all over 30, they all look fantastic.

E: Holy poo poo, Ji Hyo is 30 too? drat, I thought she was mid 20's.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

Doesn't that describe the US Pop Music industry as well? We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets, but I'm pretty sure a lot of similar groups over here are just as manufactured.

Pretty much. SNSD is "signed" with interscope and/or SM does have some sort of working relationship with them, so I'm sure that played a part in it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I wonder if they're going to continue on with the gag. I think they should really ham it up, especially now that the cat's out of the bag.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I had a big thing I wanted to type, but it can just be summed up as: people be crazy. I honestly wonder if it's just hyperbole and people are just bitching that their fictional relationship between TV stars isn't real. Maybe I'm just too used to reading the mmo hmo subforum and seeing this type of "I quit" stuff.

Call me naive, but I thought this crazy poo poo was limited to mostly Asia. I really hope RM sticks with Ji Hyo, she deserves happiness and a spot on a killer TV show.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

They should keep it going, but really play up the "It's Mondays only!".

Yonghwa owning it up again. :allears: How often does he show up on average? When you guys said he's a frequent guest, I wouldn't have imagined he'd be on every 6 or so episodes so far. Not that I mind, dude is awesome. Him and Joong Ki walking down the hallway with the sparkles and flying flowers was funny as hell, especially in hindsight since it leads to...Yoo Hyuk.

I don't really have anything else to add, other than the rest of the episode was amazing as always.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

El Graplurado posted:

With every variety show i've seen that's mixed and predominately male the female members are all cast with and seem to accept this role of subordinate otherness that you're right can be sickening at times. I assume there is a lot of social condition that feeds it, but it's not an absolute. What is so great about Invincible Youth and Heroes is seeing these women acting like themselves to each other, freed (mostly) from that structure.

It also has to do with Asian culture in general; where being a part of the greater whole is more important than the individual. It's better to fit in, rather than to stand out. There's a lot of emphasis on family, the father should lead the household, the mother should raise the children, the children should do well in school, etc. A person that blends into that "role" is accepted, anyone that doesn't isn't shunned per se, but definitely looked down upon. It's the reason why the family name comes first in Asian names because the family is more important than the individual.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 2, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

That's really depressing. I really do hope poo poo changes for them.

In hindsight, one of the bad things about the IY change is HyunA disappearing from variety TV. I mean you can see Sunny/Yuri all the time and Hara to an extent, but the others you only really get tidbits of news info on.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe they are not as dynamic personalities as Sunny, Yuri or Hara. Actually, no one can match Sunny on Variety. She needs to host a show one day.

I read somewhere she's going to be the main MC on a musical show that's coming up or something, step in the right direction.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sharktamer posted:

About the JiHyo dating news, I really don't think it's going to change much in the long run. I hope they don't completely gloss over it in the show, it could add a great new element to the Monday couple.

I do agree the best thing would be to really play around with the joke, make it utterly ridiculous and not serious at all. Although I have a feeling they'll just make a joke about it in the beginning segment of the show and then never mention/show the Monday Couple thing again. :smith: Either way, I don't see it continuing on as it has been.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

YOO HYUK! YOO HYUK! YOO HYUK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_JWJNsweq4

Out of all the running jokes they've come up with so far (Monday couple, Kwang Soo framing, KJK & the kids), this one is the best one. Having "Step by Step" as the theme song and the CGI stuff combined with the ridiculous dancing easily makes this the highlight of the episode. I think the point about Lizzy being calculating shows up here, you know when YJS was doing the dance moves she was thinking about pulling out the chair from under him to make a joke.

I was torn between Joong Ki and Jihyo as the criminals. In the past eps Joong Ki seemed to be really capable, so that's what made me suspicious of him. Jihyo was known to screw up now and then, so it seemed plausible. I was silently hoping for a Suk Jin/YJS masterstroke and having one of them be the criminal.

Regarding Seohyun, I think she's too weird for it not to be genuine. I'm sure in private she's not as calm and collected, but she probably is the same person you see. I think Sunny is basically the same person in general, except she exaggerates it a bit for tv. I don't think she's hiding anything, just playing up her personality a bit. That's why I liked IY1 so much, when you combined Shinyoung and the periods of work, you could see pieces of the non-idol person come out more often.

E: I think Sunny is better than Lizzy simply because Sunny is actually funny/entertaining by herself, Lizzy is just...there.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 2, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I'm a bit ahead (ep 30) and they've changed the format a bit. Do they ever go back and revisit some of the older challenges? The group photo, tea time, thief game? The thief game I think could have gone on for a few more eps before getting stale. Do they ever go back to showing who wins the lottery to escape punishment? That's one of the few things I don't really like about this new format, I miss seeing the agony on the faces of the losers.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

Group photo they do one more time in a future ep, tea time no, thief game no. Lottery pretty much no.

Bigger spoiler so I'm putting this separately they end up getting rid of punishments altogether after like ep 42.

That's a shame to hear, those really were some of the better segments they had. Hopefully they'll make a return to it once the new format gets flipped again. I'm not too broken up about ending the punishments though, since the best part of it was watching the lottery. Also when they stopped doing the drawing on the faces wearing hot pants, it hasn't really felt like a lot was at stake.

E:VVV I don't have a favorite cast member anymore because all of them are comedy gold. They're all so drat likable.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh I don't know, I was just postulating since they seem to swap it up fairly often.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I wonder when he picked up on the 1 vs. x, I'm guessing it was after Ji Hyo got him to say her phrase. Funny as hell at the end.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I thought it was "hey let's rough up Jihyo's appearance a bit for laughs", also gave this episode another storyline to play with.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Min-Jong's theme they gave him was amazing every time he showed up. I couldn't stop laughing every time, even now there's this huge grin on my face. Is Si-Won American or something? They kept on mentioning "huge American hand motions" in the subs. The 1 vs. X was amazing too, one of the better ones that's been on so far.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

Haha, same here! I think once you accept those pictures are reality, the song transfers from Gwang Soo...to you. Some mind blowing poo poo right there.

Whenever I find myself screwing something up these days, that song pops into my head. Best example of Pavlov's dogs if I've ever seen it.

On an unrelated note, late 20's spoilers, how long does the "find the guests" chase segment last? I'm done with ep 37 and while it was a slow go initially, the past few eps have been good. There was a good stretch of eps that weren't as amazing as the 1st 20 or so.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I think the reason I like the old 'team vs team hide and seek' segments is that those included most of the truly character defining moments for the Running Man crew (outside of Suk Jin, Gary, and Gwang Soo, who tend to be more prominent in the non-chase events). Not to mention Joong Ki hasn't done poo poo since they changed format. Poor guy gets eliminated within minutes almost every time without being able to do anything about it.[/spoiler]

I just realized that we haven't seen the cast members running around in utter terror and I've missed that. I'm a big fan of having guests go on the offensive, it's utterly hilarious when you see people outside their normal element go hog wild chasing the members. Like Min-Jong in the current "let's watch" episode. Basically I love seeing the cast members suffer.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo. Going to have to bookmark that tumblr when I get home. Treasure trove of gifs.