Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I don't have anything insightful to say but this show is pretty good! I saw some recent episodes and decided to go and watch them all in order, up to episode 5 at the moment.

TV Zombie posted:

edit:How did the Saint Agnes song get associated with Kwang Soo?

I don't think there was a specific reason the song was chosen, the editors just inserted the guitar riff when he looked dejected from people speaking over him or when he made a mistake. It stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

TV Zombie posted:

I don't see how they can. Koreans are savvy netizens and if this hit the internet, they will know about this situation. Koreans are also kinda crazy so I can only see this leading to a lot of anti fans for Ji Hyo where the worst case scenario might force her off the show.

You see, that's what's likely to happen because the fans are batshit insane. But if they did go 110% with the Ji Hyo-Gary stuff from now on, that would be funny as hell precisely because the fans are that insane. And now I have explained a joke.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The best part of the Letterman performance is how the cameramen and editor just kept putting in focused shots of Sooyoung, even when other people were singing, or when she was in the back. I guess she made an impression.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Lyer posted:

I had a big thing I wanted to type, but it can just be summed up as: people be crazy. I honestly wonder if it's just hyperbole and people are just bitching that their fictional relationship between TV stars isn't real. Maybe I'm just too used to reading the mmo hmo subforum and seeing this type of "I quit" stuff.

Call me naive, but I thought this crazy poo poo was limited to mostly Asia. I really hope RM sticks with Ji Hyo, she deserves happiness and a spot on a killer TV show.

If I type too many words about this I will probably end up stepping on cultural relativism or something else, but watching the whole insane fandom ...thing is as interesting to me as the TV shows and music itself. Admittedly I am getting my information through a small filter, but it does seem to me that a lot of people really do have this fanatical religious zeal when it comes to celebrities in Korea. There's plenty of deeply obsessed fans anywhere sure, but reading the article linked earlier about Tablo or about any of the other crazy poo poo that goes on relating to any and all idols, I get the sense it is much more widespread and normal to act this way. The personality cults are so strong that it is giving me culture shock just reading comments on youtube, let alone the content of more specific websites. I do hope that it is just the bias of the filter I'm looking through.

International fans are clearly happy to buy into it too. How does one think to contact a foreign broadcasting network to demand that they fire a cast member from a variety show because she isn't pure because she has a boyfriend. At age 30(?). Someone who they have enjoyed performing for them for potentially 70+ weeks, depending on when they started watching. :psypop: I'm trying really hard not to relate or equivocate this with North Korea in my mind, since I get the same shock when hearing about the cult of personality for the ruling family. It's surreal.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Saturday Mornings posted:

Haha, fantastic.

With all the Japanese and Korean shows I watch subtitled, I sometimes forget that these shows aren't in English. It makes it extra jarring when, say, someone in the RM cast actually does try to speak English, or when there's a section of a show that isn't subtitled.

If you're not careful you're going to wake up one day and realize you understand a large part of the language subconsciously :confuoot:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Eh, an American version could in theory work fine, there are more minor celebrities/musicians than you can shake a stick at and I'm sure you could find a lot of them that can be good natured on camera. A lot of our famous actors also try to be nice people and could fit in. However it just won't happen because we don't have variety shows. The audience and the guests would think of it as a straight game show or a reality show and miss the idea, turning it schizophrenic.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Well if we can't speculate on bizarro versions of Running Man we'll just have to go back to wishing Eun Hye would appear on the show. Or and Hyori again.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Wasn't she kicked off the cast for not being very entertaining/not talking enough? That's definitely what it seemed like considering she had barely any lines survive editing in the episodes where she was a regular member. I'd be surprised if they had her back on to guest, though I guess it wouldn't be that far out of the realm of possibility. I don't dislike her but she was just too quiet for this show.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Looks like Gary might be out indefinitely, to focus on his music and business career. The cynic in me says it is because he thinks he's way more famous for being on Running Man than he is for being a musical artist. Or his back injury ended up being something prohibitive. Don't turn your back on the best show to come out of Korea :argh:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

doomisland posted:

I can't believe Netizens are taken seriously.

Yeah, this is one of the weirder parts of Korean entertainment to me. I don't understand why the industry as a whole is sensitive to the ravings of internet madmen. The only smart move from CCM out of that T-ara debacle was to straight up ignore the internet after a certain point, which they should have been doing from the beginning. Even on Real Issues That Matter To Society, the public is very willing to dismiss criticism from the internet as long as the involved parties aren't taking it seriously, because people just love to bitch on the internet for the sake of bitching and people familiar with the internet tend to accept that.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Uber-Cake posted:

Being a manager

oh come on now, you can't do that without namedropping. I agree with you 100%, though I find some enjoyment in it anyways because terrible soulless pop music is a guilty pleasure of mine, even if the way it's produced and promoted has major issues.

If this Leesang thing gets Running Man a hiatus for longer than a week I'm going to be right pissed. Gary should get to take a break if his injury is a problem, but the recent episodes have been so good and I don't want them to lose their stride. Especially over such a bullshit and only tangentially related reason. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

116: The train segment is kinda wearing out its welcome, I hope they don't use it again for awhile or have it not be the entire pre-race part of the show. It seems like it's a little difficult to get the guests into the groove of the show with the train game. Other than that, episode owned.

117 (episode not aired yet, not speculation): This probably isn't news to many who follow Running Man but I just saw this cell phone clip of the accident that Yoobin has and the reaction of the cast and crew. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6OW3sHPAs It's pretty classy even if the jumping horse falling wouldn't have been likely to cause an injury. That's Yoo Jae Suk, Gary, Lee Kwang Soo, and a staff member that jumped into that thing. Yoobin's rather nonchalant reaction to getting nearly dogpiled is pretty funny too. "I'll just lay here in shame because I failed the jump wait what are all you dudes doing hanging out on my feet?" It's weird but I'm actually looking forward to this episode the most to see what music they play over this scene.