Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Give the show a shot. One of the things that's persistent is the nicknames and other gags the cast has with each other. One of the older ones at this point is Monday Couple which is starting to bleed into other real life in a way.

This show is also really popular all over Asia where it is syndicated so it as massive appeal to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Oh yeah. For those that are not familiar with them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rza4xuw6wus
The MV for "Turned off the TV" with subtitles.

Here's a pretty good live version despite bad audio ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDk9utr9fLs

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

qbert posted:

I agree they should probably put the spy stuff on the back-burner for now. They've used it a bit too often at this point, that everyone is immediately suspicious of everyone else right when the hide-and-seek missions start.

Instead I'd like them come up with more variations on how people get eliminated. The water gun concept has been used a bunch also, but there's plenty of other things they can think up. It might actually be interesting to just steal IC's tail-grabbing format (you're assigned a single person to eliminate, and once you do you then have to eliminate who they were assigned to eliminate).

Ah yeah, Assassin. I played that in High School with water guns. It was pretty cool since you'd have a dozen people playing and the only safe "zones" were school and work. At one person waiting for another at his bus stop haha.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

qbert posted:

I loved that he kept confusing Jae Suk with all these weird fables every time he caught him.

Minsoo: Today I am a scorpion.
Jae Suk: Didn't you say earlier you were a tiger?
Minsoo: No...this is the second time.

The hidden name tag on his VJ was good. That dude getting signs made for him in Thailand and Hong Kong were funny as well.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I wouldn't mind them having the come back now and then but only if they're really good.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The Grasshopper nickname is an old one form back when Jae Suk was doing comedy skits in the 90s. It's a common nickname for him so it'll appear often enough in the show with it assumed you know he is called that.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

He and Gwang Soo become best pals later. He doesn't have much but he's pretty entertaining usually when they're just hanging around. Unfortunate when the premise of the show is to play games and not hang out.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Speaking of Monday Couple things, on New Years Eve Leessang, which Gary is one of the members of, had a concert and during the song Ji Hyo came out and sang the female portion of this song and Gary the other part. If you read the lyrics it's pretty funny that they did it. The song is apparently banned from appearing on TV before 10pm since it is too lewd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLUhpiIElEY

doomisland fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 13, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Selane posted:

It's not 'lewd' but the video has some pretty amusing suggestive moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rza4xuw6wus&feature=related

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXurKxtN-I&feature=related

That was the language the article used I read. Obviously it's tame by western standards but in Korea it is "lewd".

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The Korean pop/idol system is really weird from an outsider especially in terminology. In terms of music for example, a "comeback" is really just them releasing another album, and even then it seems most of the time they're only 3 or 4 song albums so they're more of an EP. You could probably have a while thread on the Idol culture over in Korea.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Put your hand up if you're shocked Gwang Soo had IU's song on his phone? .... Thought so.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Joong Ki is pretty funny. He seems to be the over confident person as time goes on and doesn't really live up to his boasts so they make fun of him. He's decent in hide and seek as well.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah, the nice thing about IU in general is that she can sing well :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder about the Monday Couple and how much of it is authentic. It doesn't help that Ji Hyo has good chemistry with Jong Kook, Joong Ki and HaHa. Also, in watching later episodes... what happened to Lizzy? They don't even mention or address her absence from the show.

Shes became a part of After School and hosts a show I believe which is what she wanted to do from the start.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm more interested in what 2ne1 will have for an American album than the rest. Will I am is helping them out and he's pretty good at what he does!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This is the worst day of my life!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Please have Gary in your prayers tonight

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Late night TV show sets are not big enough to accommodate a 9 person dance routine. That being said they somehow managed to squeeze in there with them running into the house band set once or twice I think. They should have performed outside to congratulate Bill on his FG.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Here is a pretty good video on K Pop that mentions some of the issues. It doesn't really go into it too much but one of the artists they interview talks about how she wished she could call her family.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2012/01/201212673348120626.html

( I don't believe this has been posted yet )

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Adultery-Monday Couple is the next hit!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

showdown posted:

Episode 60 question:

There was a weird epilogue where Gary did a Keyser Soze shuffle. Did he figure it out or did he know about the trick in the first place? I skimmed the beginning of 61 and they didn't mention it.

I've wondered the same thing. I want to say yes but who knows.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

To echo the same sentiments...who knows? The idea was bandied about at the Jail in the end but Gwang Soo said that this would have made the game too complicated with a betrayal on top of betrayal on top of betrayal though I wouldn't put it past the PDs to have planned this.

I believe they've referenced The Usual Suspects before so the PDs having him do that at the end either implies he didn't know and they're just loving with everyone or Gary did know and decided to do that himself. Someone should tweet at Gary about this

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Just watched the latest episode and definitely had a good time watching it. Haha and Ji Hyo were great and you can see they're not pushing Monday Couple at all.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTJaJjO3f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_JyT_EpFTM

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah the Big Bang episode was amusing. Though it would be nice to see Haha get burned next ep due to the thing he did this episode.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Lyer posted:

General question about Korea, just how big is the country? I've noticed that the cast fly alot to get around the country. Is it mostly done to save time for filming or is it really cumbersome to get around by driving?

It is really small, by land mass it is as big as Indiana/Kentucky. I popped in driving directions from Seoul to Busan, two major cities relatively on opposite ends of the country, and the driving time is 3.5 hours, or a long day trip.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

It's supposedly as big as Minnesota (don't know how that compares to those two states)

Theoretically, yes. In practice? Never.
Population density is pretty drat high, and there is a lot of traffic on the main highways. The highway buses (they have a lane reserved for them most of time-only for buses) take about four and a half hours or so to get there, and sometimes even more with traffic. Individual cars, having to go on the normal lanes, would take even more, obviously.

The high-speed KTX rail (going at 190mph) takes like two and a half to three hours.

So yes, taking it by plane is much quicker, especially since our airports are pretty efficient (sorry Americans, but your airports are so drat slow and lazy, with the same amount of security checks). Also, the filming for the last two episodes were at Jeju, which is a island off the southern tip of Korea.

Regarding land mass in Sq Mi it is between those two states. Also I figured that the 3.5 hours was a pipe dream in reality when you factor in traffic around cities.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Lyer posted:

Found something interesting, a googlemaps Running Man episode location reference:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...m=200&start=193

Pretty neat for people (like me) that have absolutely no clue about Korea's geography.

That's really cool. I like how they have the IY locations as well as some other bonus spots.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Toaster Ding posted:

I came here from the Invincible Youth threads and RM is quickly becoming my new TV obsession of late. The more you watch, the better it gets.

Favorites so far are 49, with Goo Hara and the queens and the Bangkok and Beijing episodes are both incredible. I'm still laughing about Kwang Soo and the phrase book. In fact pretty much anything Kwang Soo does. How does he make you root for him despite being so utterly terrible at everything? I find myself pulling for him every episode even though I just know he's going to get eliminated early and unceremoniously.

The only thing I don't get is Hyung. I watched episode 1 (what a different show) and he seemed to actually be a main character. Jump to episode 50+ and he barely gets 5 minutes of screen time. Granted, little he does really warrants much screen time, but shouldn't they replace him with someone who will carry the show better? Is he otherwise super famous in South Korea? Or is he just there to be the butt of jokes.

Suk Jin? Hyung is a term guys call their elders of the same sex.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Was there ever any reason given for why Lizzy just disappeared from the show? She wasn't given a goodbye, and I never read anything about what happened.

She got into After School I thought and then she left because of it.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah JYP everyone get hype. Anyone been to his NYC restaurant yet?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

qbert posted:

As a follow up to that clip, I remembered this one from an episode of Dangerous Boys.

I do think her impression is cute!

That whole segment was goofy as gently caress mostly because of Sunny

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Hahaha she should at least guest. Imagine her and KJK fighting.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

amaranthine posted:

Considering the somewhat creepy obsessiveness that seems to come with K-pop fan culture, I'm genuinely surprised that Kim Kwang Soo hasn't had his legs broken over some of the poo poo he's done. He seems like the most vile man in entertainment.

:)

Ever since the news broke that popular girl group T-ara would be adding an eighth member, Dani, to their ranks, it has been a hot topic of discussion among both fans and the general public.

Core Contents Media, T-ara’s parent company, recently revealed how the young American became the newest member of the group. “Dani was cast on the street by Kim Kwang Soo,” said a representative for CCM. “It was his first streetside casting in his 30-year-long career in entertainment.”

Dani, who has lived in the United States since she was four years old, had been visiting Korea to meet her parents. After seeing her standing at a crosswalk, Kim Kwang Soo turned his car around when thoughts of her wouldn’t leave his head, CCM revealed.

Although having no prior experience in singing or acting nor any desire to become a singer, CCM was confident that they had discovered an unpolished jewel. Street castings, although popular ten years ago, have fallen out of favor – with auditions being the preferred method of selecting new trainees.

Meanwhile, Dani, saying “I don’t want to be a burden to the T-ara unnies”, has pushed back her debut from July to December. She will have an acting role in the new music video for T-ara, slated to be released sometime in July.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Neat: http://www.allkpop.com/2012/06/woollim-entertainments-upcoming-girl-group-members-make-an-appearance-on-running-man

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Soft subs are so nice, but it seems the Korean show scene is about ads and poo poo. I think they pay people to translate them or thats the impression I'm getting. Their distribution model is really poor.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Bradster posted:

There are soft subs available from Dramafevers subbers. I haven't checked out how good they are though. I just get kshownows releases from a certain torrent site for all things asian.

I thought they have bad turnaround time or is that just a per show thing?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I just watched ep 104 and don't remember what Ji Hyo was talking about regarding her weight? Was it something that happened on a previous show?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The staff needs to recover I'm sure since they're just as busy if not more so than the stars. The VJ's have to not only run around all day but on the two day ones be up early and be ready to film when whomever wakes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

That last episode was pretty good.