Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Getting in on this, AS EVERYONE SHOULD BE.

Let the Korean programming invasion of TVIV continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm familiar with Yoo Jae Suk from Family Outing, and pretty much everything he shows there, he shows here as well. And it's all great. You can see why he carries and co-hosts a bajillion shows and wins a bajillion awards.

It was also nice that the first guest was Hyori, since again, I'm familiar with her variety skills from Family Outing as well. I will never get tired of seeing her being so playful and fiesty and underhanded. Kind of a shame she's not a regular cast member, really.

My favorite part was the bridal picture challenge, and them all trying to block Hyori's face in the shot. Speaking of the bridal shop, I was actually quite surprised that they completely edited out the hunt for one of the clues. Does this happen a lot during this chapter of the show's life, or do they learn to manage their time better so they don't have to edit out the main part of the show in later episodes?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watched episodes 2 and 3 back-to-back. With these already being aired, I just can't wait to finished two-parters, so I'm glad you'll be posting them together from now on.

I'm loving all the guests from Family Outing showing up. It's so weird seeing Chunhee without his stepmother though, but it's nice to see he hasn't changed much. Smartly getting a free ride to the location... the wrong location.

Hara's still mostly the same too. Stealthy and sneaky. Not as much stealing as I would have expected. I was also surprised there was no rules for catching the other team this time. Maybe they needed to reconsider it after the first episode resulted in them ripping the entire sewn-on tag from the jumpsuit instead of simply peeling the name off.

Without Hyori, the picture challenge wasn't AS fun, but still managed to be pretty drat fun. Something about everyone shoving each other like fussy children and making funny faces (and Gary) is just good television.

My favorite parts had to be Kwangsoo on the diving boards, constantly debating between 7.5m and 10m. The Oldboy and Lady Vengeance soundtracks just go with everything, don't they? I also loved them searching the stadium seats, and the crew getting exhausted, and the cast all taking a break to playfully pick on them for it. Also during that search, Kwangsoo's sudden burst of speed to get the last piggy bank.

Oh, and the soccer goal challenge. Kwangsoo hangs there and deflects balls. Joong-Ki hangs there... and is too short, so they all casually kick the balls in under him. I laughed so hard at that.

I was also surprised to see that Jong-kook got his "Spara-kook" nickname so early in the show. And that is sticks for so long.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I might be misremembering, but isn't gochu "pepper?"

Going back to the editing of the show, my comments of the first episode were that they had completely edited out an entire segment of the challenge. Removing a few people taking on a challenge is to be expected at times or editing the show to not follow everyone at the same time is normal. So the editing of the show seems to have improved real fast, and I'm happy about that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Gochu is indeed pepper. And slang for penis.

God drat, I'm a genius with Korean!

Now if only I could form sentences.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, it's getting confusing having everyone talking about a bunch of different episodes at once, especially when there are so many of them. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love Jessica. She's not stuck up or "above" doing anything, but she just... doesn't do things, and it's often hilarious. The concept of putting someone on Running Man who isn't likely to do much running is hilarious. I love Jessica.

Girls' Generation had a big stage performance set up at the MAMA and all the girls did dances before going into a rendition of "The Boys." Everyone, except Jessica. Her part in the performance was to fly across the stage on a platform. Because gently caress dancing and gently caress WALKING even. That is her concept. I love Jessica.

loving hell, I laughed at these episodes until I choked and saw spots. The constant sneaking into the blue team's group and messing with Gary's head was just too goddamn funny, and then when Jaesuk did it again during the garbage can curling game, I needed to take a break. I couldn't figure out where he was running to, and then... Oh god, I needed to lie down.

It's great to see the different thought processes and the intelligence of the different people and teams at work on the challenges. In particular, when the red team had to get the nametag off Jongkook, they inspected their own tags to discover Jaesuk was also marked, and sent him off to hide. Meanwhile, the blue team just went after the red team. I can understand why the production team had to make things a bit more fair by communicating like they did.

On the other hand, I would encourage far more lying and cheating. Take and hide Jaesuk's nametag after reading the numbers off it and figuring out what they mean. Then go to the lockers and take the blue team's clue and throw it away.

As an aside, I felt Joong Ki's sorrow when he approached the group thinking Dara was there, but it was actually Jihyo. How does one find any joy in life after having such dreams crushed? :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Basically Jessica is the best and she will be mine.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
YG really needs to let their talent off the leash more often. I love seeing their people on variety shows. In particular, I just want more 2NE1, but I liked Se7en in this episode. Solid competitor and good sport. Highlight was the "hugging match" he and Joong-ki had during the bucket-stilts game.

I've heard of Son Dambi, and listened to some of her songs, but this is my first time actually seeing her AND seeing her in a variety capacity. She was pretty great and gung-ho and got really into the games.

And Shinyoung was in top form, as expected. It's funny to see so many similarities between Shinyoung and Hyori when it comes to playing games. I kind of wish they were on the show together.

The hunting game was spectacular. Blue team was really on fire with a great combination of luck and skill, and were in line for a killer victory. It was really exciting to watch, instead of just being funny.

Badminton game was hilarious. Very little badminton going on and just a lot of funny bickering.

I actually liked the lottery concept too. Winning challenges to earn balls to increase your odds of winning the lottery seemed like a fun "dick move" concept for a show that's based around fast and loose rules with reversals of fortune. Kind of a shame it's not staying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

I can't remember much about this episode, but Yong-hwa is a consistently good guest, and he's also pretty awesome on we got married.

He was married to Seohyun though. I don't know if I can approve of that. :mad:

He was a loving ace for the hide-and-seek challenge though, so I'll give him props for that. And I know he's not everyone's taste, but I like Jo Kwon and his kkab style. Eunjung was just not there at all this episode, once again proving the only good member of T-ara is Hyomin. :colbert:

loving with Gary will never get old. NEVER.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had high hopes for this episode, because of the guests. Lee Joon is a muscle fool and Victoria is super adorable. The setting also seemed really interesting, as have all the settings.

But Joon and Victoria ended up not really doing much, and BECAUSE of the setting, the race was actually hindered whith them not allowed to run in the museum (although it seems they tended to ignore this rule). I didn't really like the alarms either, and feel they might have been added as to help keep the game going swiftly and safely in the museum.

But I did like Lee Joon's moment of crazed speed where everyone, including his cameraman, lost track of him for 20 minutes. I also thought Joon-Kyu was really entertaining and fit well with the group. The videos of the group's early years were hilarious (Jae Suk's self-camera :stare:) and them smacking each other with chopsticks was just delightful.

So it's not that I hated the episode or anything. I just felt the setting limited them and I expected to see more out of the guests.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Revenant Threshold posted:

I suspect how much you enjoy this episode will hinge quite strongly on how much like you Shin Bong-Sun.

I can't see how anyone could dislike her, and she was amazing in this episode. I wish she was in every episode. I loved her clinging to Jong-kook and being his sidekick, and I loved him ultimately taking responsibility of her. They made such an awesome pair, and she was absolutely hilarious at everything she did. Best moment was with her going to town on Jae-suk and Suk-jin with that broom.

Soo-ro also owns. I love him on Family Outing, but it's weird seeing him only as his Game Devil self without any Wicked Stepmother thrown in. I loved that they kept the Imperial March music for him from FO.

Hongki is also pretty great too. Not much to see here in this episode, but he was great stuff on Oh My School. I did like how he managed to keep singing during the entire ride, while everyone else kept breaking.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Also what I’m assuming is an interesting cultural difference, with black knight cropping up as what I’d call a white knight in that situation.

It's actually just a substitute, like a pinch hitter. It's nothing to do with coming in to save the girl or anything. The female equivalent is a "black rose," I believe.

The auction was delightful. It wasn't even a game, just everyone being their regular goofy selves and having a great time goofing around, and somehow it got a team a running man ball. It's such ulfiltered fun and it makes me jealous that I don't have that. I don't think a person will ever know what true joy is unless they've been on a Korean variety show.

Even though it was another "slowed down" version of the chase game, it worked a lot better this time around for me. I both loved and hated how the painting was RIGHT THERE and Tae-Hyun didn't see it, and how he was literally boxed in by the sound of the bells for so long. And the end with Suk-Jin and Jong-Kook was just glorious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

I'm not so sure Jihyo's plaid pants + print vest + glasses + bowtie was a good idea.

You shut your mouth. She's never looked better. :swoon:

I love that an entirely new game concept came from the fact that Gary gets hosed with, and I'm legitimately surprised at how well they all handled the challenge this time. I loved how Ji Hyo marking Gary was misunderstood as playfulness and didn't give anything away, and actually ended up helping others to get their marks on.

The large Jenga game was great, if only for the brief moments of them holding the blocks others were trying to remove. Syllable game was great for Suk-Jin's ongoing story about Sergeant Im as an effort to not be eliminated, and Yong-Hwa's constant insistance he was still in the game after getting eliminated, and Kwangsoo's last-minute save from not repeating a word. Loveable cheating jerks all around. Oh, and the Thief game as a framing device for these sub-games is great.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yoo Jae-Suk singing a New Kids on the Block song. I find myself oddly delighted.

Archer2338 posted:

Nope. There are definitely easier syllables to respond to (ie wouldn't take you more than a split second if you were a native), but there are also some syllables that are bloody impossible. Ballet is divided into two syllables (bal-let) and drat the second "let" because it's crazy hard to think of something that starts with that syllable.

Lady. :colbert:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Huh? Please elaborate. I can't think of the right word for "lady" you are thinking of, but this will make me a GOD at this game.

I'm wrong. I'm going by American pronunciation, where "ballet" ends with a long "A" sound (에이) instead of the short "E" sound it does in Korean (에).

So I was saying you should use a phonetic "Lady" (레이디) but not only isn't that the same syllable, it's three syllables so I'm out. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I loved their attempts to prevent Joong-Ki from getting the right answers, and explaining how they were able to guess the answers so well. Gary's enthusiastic "DONATELLO!" was great, and Kwangsoo saying he wasn't finished answering to steal the win was the best thing.

Also hilarious that they made new Thief cards using Jong-Kook's drawing from the art museum episode. Even the people producing the show are loveable jerks.

The bond between Jae-Suk and his VJ during the chase games gets ever stronger. When Jae-Suk breaks away from the camera, the VJ doesn't ask him to wait or slow down, he just cheers on his escape. Gotta love it. Also love HaHa goofing around and filming his own movie action shots in the rain.

And drat, it was frustrating to watch Ji Hyo get the color sequence wrong. They had it, except nobody was able to communicate to anyone else about blue being first. :(

We need to start going through the episodes faster. Like, 2 or 3 a day.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to think very hard for who he played in that series after you said that. I didn't even realize that was him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

The bumbling tech colleague at Blue House

Yep. I was searching my brain for call the characters in that show, and I couldn't place who he would have played, and then it hit me. I just didn't realize when I was watching the show that it was Kwangsoo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's one of the best dramas I've ever watched, not exclusive to any country.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do not like After School, but I LOVE Orange Caramel, so I do enjoy when members of Orange Caramel show up on variety shows. Although I thought Lizzy was quite dull and a non-entity when she guested on Invincible Youth, here, she's very bubbly and sharp enjoyable to watch. Also super-cute.

And really, nothing else can be said about this episode. It just needs to be watched.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arctic Baldwin posted:

How the gently caress can you like Orange Caramel? Bangkok City is an abomination

Because SHUT UP. :mad:

Although yeah, I didn't like Bangkok City very much.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was so happy they started to try the "pretend you've already been caught" tactic, because I was surprised they hadn't already been trying that. Just a shame they made it so obviously suspicious and blew the whole plan.

Kwangsoo really starts coming alive in these past couple episodes. Partly because of his "framing" gimmick, and partly because he just finds his niche and gets some really strong moments where he can be hilarious. The drill instructor during the thief game, and his attempt to raise Ji-Hyo's heart rate were stand-out moments.

And I love that not only is HaHa's "Action Shots" a recurring things for him, but he's getting Gary and stuff to play along with him and goof around too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

A day or two ago there was a preview for a TV show that had a the actor and actress kiss (Jessica, an idol from SNSD)

THEY DID WHAT?! :mad:

As an aside, I know that most idols do have a "no dating" clause in their contracts that prohibits them from being in relationships for at least a few years.

Archer2338 posted:

For example, Goo Hara, one of the most popular idols, is openly dating a member of BEAST (a popular male group)

And let's not forget that when this was announced, a school called their companies to complain about disrupted studies because their students could not stop crying.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Lee Dong-uk, you lucky bastard. :cry:

This is a man who does not understand how "dibs" works. :argh:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

IV

IY. You keep saying V for some reason.

Yuri was delightfully adorable in her frustrations during the speed quiz (WAA!), and I always enjoy how the group stumbles through their cheating in these situations (answering before any actual hints are given, flat-out looking at the answer card). And in true hidden camera fashion, making the person cry means it was a success!

I really love how natural "Jong-Kook and the Boys" is. Even if it turns out it's all fake and everything is written for them, it still feels so right to have that brother dynamic with the three of them. The grocery sample day challenge was a great example of it.

And yeah, a department store is a great location for the hide-and-seek game. Nice big area with lots of places to hide, and I really liked the idea of the receipts in the registers. Ji-Hyo going off on Kwangsoo with her shoe was a great moment, and HaHa's determination to be the hero, only to get shot down the minute he opened the door was brilliant. Jong-Kook just keeps getting better and better with his setups for capturing people. I've watched a few episodes ahead, and I don't want to spoil anythinng, but I just want to say he continues to be an awesome (and terrifying) catcher.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

DFu4ever posted:

We may not have the eccentric celebrity caste system of the Asian markets

We don't? If anything, ours is much crazier.

Also K-Pop is great. :mad:

Also also, K-Pop is getting a lot of attention across the world, with the US slowly starting to get on board too. Girls' Generation is making their push towards and American debut, which is why they're making these appearances.

Some other groups are also planning a US launch this year too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

doomisland posted:

I'm more interested in what 2ne1 will have for an American album than the rest. Will I am is helping them out and he's pretty good at what he does!

I love 2NE1 and will be marrying them (polygamy is legal in Korea, yes?), but from what I've heard so far, will.i.am does not seem like a good match for them. It just sounds like the girls are singing rejected Black Eyed Peas songs. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

Jihyo in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

:stare: What movie was this?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The framer becoming the framed was one of the best things. I'm really not sure how picking the RIGHT music majors to be part of the bands would have helped in any way whatsoever. Getting the singing major when they're not allowed to sing, or a violinist when there's no violin, and so forth.

It was interesting to see a chase game take place in an active location filled with classes and study halls and dorms and such, and the members using the students to cover their tracks and to help them find the other team's locations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

El Graplurado posted:

When they're talking to the maybe music majors and there's a bit with one of the girls that goes unsubitlted, as Jong Kook and Haha motion to their jaws - is that because they were being loving rude? I don't know what they're saying, and if i'm drawing the right conclusion i don't really want to know, but could one of you please translate it?

From translating the text and looking at the subtitles that follow it up, I think they were jokingly speculating that she wasn't really a female based on her frame. I could be wrong.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't necessarily think it was mean or anything. I went by the translated text, which seemed to be along the lines of "Of course she's a female," and then Jae-Suk's follow-up line about the university also having a sports program, implying she'd be a big girl doing sports.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember during one of the interviews the Invincible Youth cast did on one of those talk/variety shows, Kim Tae Woo brought up that Hyomin would always eat like crazy during filming, and he was really shocked at how much she ate. Then he found out that her company was forcing her to diet and filming IY was the only time she really got to eat. :(

And then she wouldn't say anything about her company, so HyunA jumped in and started mouthing off about them on her behalf, which was adorable and awesome.

So yeah, CCM is really really lovely and is long overdue for some kind of lawsuit. I think they're the worst "big name" music company in Korea right now. And from everything I've seen, YG is the best.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

That's really depressing. I really do hope poo poo changes for them.

In hindsight, one of the bad things about the IY change is HyunA disappearing from variety TV. I mean you can see Sunny/Yuri all the time and Hara to an extent, but the others you only really get tidbits of news info on.

4Minute's been doing promotions in Japan, so they haven't really been in the country to show up on a lot of variety shows. They're scheduled for a comeback this month, and I think that also means they'll be back in Korea for a while, so you should see them on TV a bit more.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
YouTube recommended a video to me a few days ago that was two people dissecting and reviewing K-Pop videos. They looked VERY familiar, and then I realized they were the couple in this episode from the tasting challenge.

I both love and hate how everyone on the show cheats. Love it, because it's great. Hate it, because they do it so badly. HaHa was smart to betray the hiding team to guarantee his win, but then he acts so overly suspicious and gives himself away and ends up not being of any real help. Jae-Suk's hiding in plain sight was much better this time though, and once again hilarious.

And you gotta love them trying to communicate in English with the tasters. I almost wonder if that's the main reason Nickhun was in this episode, because he didn't do much else in it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Korean shows have some of the best editing I've ever seen. The finale of the hide-and-seek game was just brilliantly put together to be both suspenseful and hilarious.

Not to mention Kwangsoo vs Jong-Kook. God drat, that was beautiful, and I would totally understand if it turned out Kwangsoo pissed his pants from that or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The best part of the 1 vs X game was Jae-Suk goofing around with Jae-Dong, trying to get him to say the phrase. All the silly little things he did, like poking him and playing with his zipper and running away with his glasses.

And then Jong-Kook stands in as his chair. I laughed myself to tears.

Ji-Hyo and Jong-Kook were an absolutely ruthless catching team. Ji-Hyo as the eyes, reporting everything to Jong-Kook, who just tore each person down because nobody had anywhere to hide. It was amazing. Also, she looked drat good in her police outfit. :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am unreasonably excited about the next episode.

One question for our Korean posters though: Why do they say L-Mart, when they are very clearly in a Toys R Us?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every episode should take place in a toy store. Except for ones that take place in a candy store. Oh man, tell me there's episodes that take place in candy stores.

It was just so delightful to see a Toys R Us in Korea, and see them playing around in it. Having worked in a toy store, and being a big manchild, I was loving the challenges and finding them very interesting. Siwon's expressions and reactions need to be giffed as soon as possible. That is one funny guy.

Loved the fake challenge, not even for the fake challenge, but for seeing the old clips of Kim Min-Jong, and everyone's reactions.

And then, of course... KEUDAEYEO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm caught up after having to take a break while transitioning to a new computer.

Episode 23: Hyung-Rae was a hilarious guest and anyone who is down on this episode is dumb. :mad: With so many episodes, I'm perfectly OK with a guest that steals the show every now and then, especially when they do it so well. Slapstick can get a pretty bad wrap, but that was easily some of the best physical humor I've ever seen and I laughed every time he did anything. Brilliant entertainer.

Episode 24: Nice to see Euni again, and Kyung-Shil was a very strong guest who was amazingly awesome. Loved the heart rate face-off challenge, and I loved the kids being so excited for Jae-Suk. That man is just a global treasure.

Episode 25: A whole museum dedicated to Korean comics is damned amazing. I loved the cosplay intro (they should have stayed in costume the whole episode), and Bo-Young is super loving adorable and tiny. She was wearing high-heeled boots and she was still the shortest person in the group. Best moment was Kwangsoo's what-the-gently caress when he realized Ji-Hyo was standing right behind him in costume.

Episode 26: Though Lizzy's presence sort of waned over time, I do miss her. Having two female cast members helped to round things out a bit more. I liked the new take on the hide-and-seek, and Jin-Young was pretty good at both being sneaky and being a Latin singer. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought sitting down and eating was part of his mission, not him being cocky.

Episode 27: The whole Phantom of the Opera mission was goddamned amazing and executed perfectly. Once again, the editing team does an awesome job of setting up the finish. The drawing game made me hurt my throat from laughing so hard when I saw that loving rhinoceros. The musical bit wasn't really anything special, but it worked well enough due to stepping on hands and Ji-Hyo's miscues.