Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Boon posted:

I just kind of stumbled onto Joe Pug after listening to some old Trampled by Turtles songs. I did a quick forums search and saw only one mention of him, so I thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Folk reminiscent of Bob Dylan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INoHB8aX43k

I have been a fan of Pug for a while. Really amazing songwriter.

Not sure where I found Nadia Reid but I love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVsFzYSHd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

York_M_Chan posted:

Not sure where I found Nadia Reid but I love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVsFzYSHd8

Nadia Reid is rad and I'm glad more people are discovering her. If you like her, you might also like Aldous Harding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4dVkoOMjLo

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:canada: New Broken Social Scene: "Halfway Home" :canada:

E: Updated link, but yeah, it's on Spotify et. al. too

They did it on Colbert last night with some of the old gang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3eq-LlO20E

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 31, 2017

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Arts and Crafts Productions.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
The song is available on Google Play, possibly on other streaming services as well.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Carrie and Lowell live album gently caress yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Broken Social Scene had like over 10 people on stage for that Colbert performance. It owned. Reminded me of when I saw them back in 2006. They got the whole gang back together and I'm so happy about it :D

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That's fantastic. It's kind of hard to convey how different Carrie and Lowell was live.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Broken Social Scene had like over 10 people on stage for that Colbert performance. It owned. Reminded me of when I saw them back in 2006. They got the whole gang back together and I'm so happy about it :D

Friendship, ladies and gentlemen. Friendship.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tonight's Knox Hamilton/Colony House show was so fuckin good, this is my fave song they played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6DAQ5c7aw

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The new Future Islands album leaked.

e: After one listen I dig it. 12 straight jams, no interludes or anything.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Alright, 'bout time

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/849247968570028032

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
The new album by Pile, "A Hairshirt of Purpose", just absolutely rules. The title track is like the platonic ideal of what I look for in rock music. This album is a must listen for anyone who wants to hear a combination of Pixies, Built to Spill, McLusky and some post/math-rock structure. Listen to it as loud as you can stand.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

San Fermin's new album is streaming at NPR: http://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/521945776/first-listen-san-fermin-belong

Pretty good album from one listen through, "Better Company" and "No Promises" are standouts for me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Obligatory reminder that San Fermin's sax guy is a goon

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
That new Future Islands album is great.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

T Bowl posted:

That new Future Islands album is great.

Definitely is toned down a little compared to Singles, but yeah, after repeated listens I really like it. Can't wait to see them live again in a couple months.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Battle Axe posted:

San Fermin's new album is streaming at NPR: http://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/521945776/first-listen-san-fermin-belong

Pretty good album from one listen through, "Better Company" and "No Promises" are standouts for me.

I have 2 tickets to see them in May, which was great until I found out I'm traveling for work on that date and have to miss it. Pretty bummed.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

angrygodofjebus posted:

Definitely is toned down a little compared to Singles, but yeah, after repeated listens I really like it. Can't wait to see them live again in a couple months.

You can definitely hear in Sams voice the toll his vocal style has taken on him, there's in interview they just put out where he says he's eventually just gonna lose his voice.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

TheIndividual posted:

The new album by Pile, "A Hairshirt of Purpose", just absolutely rules. The title track is like the platonic ideal of what I look for in rock music. This album is a must listen for anyone who wants to hear a combination of Pixies, Built to Spill, McLusky and some post/math-rock structure. Listen to it as loud as you can stand.

this album is loving great. now i just have to decide if it's great enough to give jack white money to see them play in the world's shittiest recording booth slash venue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So this is probably an unpopular opinion and I oddly feel bad for having it but: I finally saw Radiohead live this past Tuesday in New Orleans and........................... didn't really enjoy it that much.

It wasn't a "bad" show at all, but I guess I'm just really not as in to their newer stuff as I thought. It just felt like Thom was up there for two hours mumbling into the mic while some basically random abstract designs flickered, totally uninspired by the song, on the screen.

It sounded fine and there were a few good cuts in there but really all I came away with was "well I guess I can check that off the bucket list."

I was on the floor, but hung back at the back of the crowd and maybe that was my mistake? Thom doesn't seem like he can play to anybody past the first 10 or so rows.

Anyway I just had to get that off my chest.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

So this is probably an unpopular opinion and I oddly feel bad for having it but: I finally saw Radiohead live this past Tuesday in New Orleans and........................... didn't really enjoy it that much.

It wasn't a "bad" show at all, but I guess I'm just really not as in to their newer stuff as I thought. It just felt like Thom was up there for two hours mumbling into the mic while some basically random abstract designs flickered, totally uninspired by the song, on the screen.

It sounded fine and there were a few good cuts in there but really all I came away with was "well I guess I can check that off the bucket list."

I was on the floor, but hung back at the back of the crowd and maybe that was my mistake? Thom doesn't seem like he can play to anybody past the first 10 or so rows.

Anyway I just had to get that off my chest.
I saw a video a friend of mine who was there posted of Idioteque and my first thought was "Well this certainly seems lifeless!"

Just like their last 2 albums, so that adds up.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

ijzer posted:

this album is loving great. now i just have to decide if it's great enough to give jack white money to see them play in the world's shittiest recording booth slash venue.

Never been there, but god drat the Shabazz Palaces live album from there sounds awful, production-wise. Hopefully it's not that hollow sounding when you see groups in person.

But yeah, go see Pile. Based only on Youtube videos, it seems like their live shows are awesome. I have my tix for a show in May.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Pure Comedy is out (for real this time, not as a leak). I'm loving the hell out of it, although it probably won't do anything for you if you're not a fan of Tillman's previous work. Total Entertainment Forever, When the God of Love Returns There'll be Hell to Pay, Two Wildly Different Perspectives, and The Memo are the standout tracks to me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, I had my reservations but it works well as an album.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Saw The Zolas last night, they were great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67b8sBGOMM

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BonoMan posted:

My opinion is the polar opposite of yours — the last time I saw them was at a music festival and I didn't expect too much since I wasn't a huge fan of TKoL, but I was pretty blown away, particularly by the strength of Thom's voice. They performed Nude, and when he hit the high note near the end ("...is thinking") the crowd of like 30,000 people went completely silent, and then burst into applause: It was probably the most affecting vocal performance I've ever seen live.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Polo-Rican posted:

My opinion is the polar opposite of yours — the last time I saw them was at a music festival and I didn't expect too much since I wasn't a huge fan of TKoL, but I was pretty blown away, particularly by the strength of Thom's voice. They performed Nude, and when he hit the high note near the end ("...is thinking") the crowd of like 30,000 people went completely silent, and then burst into applause: It was probably the most affecting vocal performance I've ever seen live.

His voice isn't bad. He just sort of mumbled through everything really. Or hummed is a more appropriate term. I mean obviously he was singing but he's just gotten so mush mouth.

Anyway we got Nude too and the crowd loved it but I felt the same as the rest of the show. I think I would love to see them in an intimate club setting. I just didn't feel the arena setting. But obviously that was just me as the rest of the crowd was constantly going ape poo poo!

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
https://soundcloud.com/blackpoprecords/wet-dreams-i-can-fly?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
imagine my av when you are listening...

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i just listened to the new mount eerie album and it made me incredibly sad. this is a cautionary tale and not a recommendation.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I forgot about bleached and holy gently caress does their last EP rip.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Lucius has a new single out apparently. I'm digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsUTr-kNeiY

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

This new Future Island album... is not good. Ran is the only thing I enjoy, the rest feels like leftovers from other albums.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Slandible posted:

This new Future Island album... is not good. Ran is the only thing I enjoy, the rest feels like leftovers from other albums.

Conversely, I really like it.

What are people's thoughts on the new Father John Misty? I also think it is quite good.

TBF I am not very critical when it comes to music. Basically my test is: do I like to listen to it? Then it is good.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

thehoodie posted:

What are people's thoughts on the new Father John Misty? I also think it is quite good.

TBF I am not very critical when it comes to music. Basically my test is: do I like to listen to it? Then it is good.

I like it, but I don't love it. I think Tillman is a smart and clever guy and I'll read/listen to anything he touches. But the album seems absurdly long and dense. It's really hard to listen to the whole thing in one shot and still be attentive in the second half. That said, when I've heard any of the songs on their own, I think they're each pretty solid.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
^
I feel the same about FJM/agree with this. The first four tracks are my favorites and then I kinda just stop paying attention.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

thehoodie posted:

I like it a lot as well, it's smooth all the way through and has a few really memorable songs. It may not be their best, but they are a very consistent band and I'm one who kind of hates people bitching about "more of the same, no progression" as a criticism. that seems to be the summary of why this album isn't good for naysayers.

You can't win, if your sound stays consistent then you're a boring band who doesn't progress.. if you change things you alienate fans and people complain about it sounding too different.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

T Bowl posted:

I like it a lot as well, it's smooth all the way through and has a few really memorable songs. It may not be their best, but they are a very consistent band and I'm one who kind of hates people bitching about "more of the same, no progression" as a criticism. that seems to be the summary of why this album isn't good for naysayers.

You can't win, if your sound stays consistent then you're a boring band who doesn't progress.. if you change things you alienate fans and people complain about it sounding too different.

I really need to give it a good listen as I feel it will grow on me like a lot of their music does. I had this with Ran as well and now I'm really into that tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mt. Modular posted:

I like it, but I don't love it. I think Tillman is a smart and clever guy and I'll read/listen to anything he touches. But the album seems absurdly long and dense. It's really hard to listen to the whole thing in one shot and still be attentive in the second half. That said, when I've heard any of the songs on their own, I think they're each pretty solid.

It really grows, since you start to see past the cynical surface and see the jokes and the joy. It's not a repeat of I Love You Honeybear, but it was never supposed to be. But songs like So I'm Growing Old On Magic Mountain are really moving (although one wonders why they didn't fade it earlier instead of letting the tape play out).

It's a great album. It may not be as pleasing as the last, but it's great in a different way.