Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

have y'all heard of monica laplante

https://youtu.be/Gxuft82uwuM

I do but that’s because I’m at a lot of shows she plays. Hasn’t clicked yet but she and the band rip, and she deserves more attention. Same w Catbath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I really wasn't a fan of Voids, but everything else they've put out has been memorable for me. Infinity Overhead, while I wasn't jazzed about it when it first came out, grew on me a LOT. Diamond Lightning is so loving good:

The acoustic version on Acoustics II is amazing, in fact all of their acoustic stuff is great - Dayglow Vista Rd. and Absinthe Party are two songs I feel are stronger than the original recordings.

Schremp Howard posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Couldn't believe Lost Loves was an album of leftovers. I remember getting ready to go on a trip and buying Omni and The National's High Violet. I was blown away by High Violet and couldn't have been more disappointed in Omni. I haven't bought any of the new albums since Omni but I'm not going to miss the Pittsburgh show, they always put on a good performance.

:respek: Lost Loves has an absurd level of quality - Invented Memory and The Lucky Ones are standout tracks for me, even Walk On Air is at least interesting in a way I can't quite put my finger on

And then...they put out an album like Voids :negative:

It's still a hell of a run and I absolutely won't miss out on the farewell tour

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

New Waxahatchee. EP out September 7th. Seems alright from what I can tell. Need to give it a couple more listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Erec0dAUE

Also new Metric. Not sure where I come down on this one. Wasn't crazy about their last album overall. This single kinda reminds me of Live It Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVn2UM8-sKI

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joh37lrvf-s

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Finn Johansson, who I've posted about in this thread before and who's rapidly becoming one of my favourite live acts, has a new single out.

quote:

'Love Bomb' is evocative but not fancy, groovy but not in a stupid way, achingly sad but not hopeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeffKzBc7hg

I really hope he puts out an album soon, but whatever he ends up doing, I'm excited for it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nahoj posted:

Honestly biggest album of the year imo

US Girls for me, but yeah. I don't know if there's been an embarrassment of riches like 2016 was, but there have been some tremendous works.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
2017 was great too, 2018 has been mediocre as hell imo.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

T Bowl posted:

2017 was great too, 2018 has been mediocre as hell imo.

idk there's been some high quality stuff, US Girls, Let's Eat Grandma, parquet courts, new hop along, janelle monae, a.a.l., MGMT, screaming females, young fathers was p good, i've gotten a lot out of 2018

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Voidz album was a very pleasant surprise IMO

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Voidz album was a very pleasant surprise IMO
I've gotta give it another shot. I think I listened to it once when it came out and wrote it off. But I read an interview about why they're breaking up earlier that mentioned that Voidz was a return to form for them after OMNI and Infinity Overhead and like...I totally don't remember that being the case at all.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've gotta give it another shot. I think I listened to it once when it came out and wrote it off. But I read an interview about why they're breaking up earlier that mentioned that Voidz was a return to form for them after OMNI and Infinity Overhead and like...I totally don't remember that being the case at all.

that poster is talking about the julian casablancas project i believe

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

that poster is talking about the julian casablancas project i believe
Oh right

Stupid same name projects!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Princeps32 posted:

idk there's been some high quality stuff, US Girls, Let's Eat Grandma, parquet courts, new hop along, janelle monae, a.a.l., MGMT, screaming females, young fathers was p good, i've gotten a lot out of 2018

I think the Camp Cope album is good

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Diarrhea Planet is breaking up. After passing on seeing them multiple times, I only got to see them once - and it loving ruled.

Please recommend me goofball bands that are totally not afraid to rock/shred/sing about rockin'/shredding.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Pizza Club posted:

Diarrhea Planet is breaking up. After passing on seeing them multiple times, I only got to see them once - and it loving ruled.

Please recommend me goofball bands that are totally not afraid to rock/shred/sing about rockin'/shredding.

Beach Slang

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ghost With a Boner is the greatest song ever made.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Beach Slang

They always ask the crowd for songs to cover during their set and half-rear end their way through them as good as they can, I was entertained. Last time I saw them they pretty much got through all of Wonderwall.

Also if anyone was like me and on the fence about going to Riotfest for like Beck and Interpol, because of some hacker settlement 3 day passes are only $99 now. I paid more than that per ticket to sit in the upper deck for Florence.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

angrygodofjebus posted:

Also if anyone was like me and on the fence about going to Riotfest for like Beck and Interpol, because of some hacker settlement 3 day passes are only $99 now. I paid more than that per ticket to sit in the upper deck for Florence.

Riot Fest is so much fun and they are giving me a free single-day ticket since I already bought my 3 days.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

angrygodofjebus posted:

They always ask the crowd for songs to cover during their set and half-rear end their way through them as good as they can, I was entertained. Last time I saw them they pretty much got through all of Wonderwall.

That's a great deal obviously but this is also the least interesting Riot Fest lineup to me since I came to Chicago.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Agreed. The reunions in the past that I saw were a ton of fun (Thursday, Alexisonfire, Misfits) and they seem to be missing that factor this year. That being said, I've never seen Beck so I copped a three day pass for that price.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pizza Club posted:

Diarrhea Planet is breaking up

i mean, isnt that the expected result

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Phil Elverum secretly got married to Michelle Williams :psyduck:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
how the gently caress mr twin sister, of all bands, out here doing a better job at a pop summer jam than anyone else in 2018

https://mrtwinsister.bandcamp.com/track/echo-arms

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Really digging this new album Carousel Kites from Paul Steel. It's masterful prog/psychedelic pop with immaculate production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNuEk9dwT8

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

how the gently caress mr twin sister, of all bands, out here doing a better job at a pop summer jam than anyone else in 2018

https://mrtwinsister.bandcamp.com/track/echo-arms

Mr. Twin Sister are good. In Heaven still holds up well as a great summer album, I think. Thanks for reminding me to catch them when they roll through DC.

I love the irony-rich track description at that link:

Mr. Twin Sister posted:

Tune in now to hear “Echo Arms”, the first Mr Twin Sister track to debut at #1 on MTS Radio! This breezy banger is Chill AF and bound to be right at home on your Sunday Funday playlist - just add rosé 😍. It’s an easy shoe-in for song of the summer, and it’s got Daily Hot Track written all over it. Catch it in rotation on the Weekend Relax Mix and the Smooth Styles playlist - but first, tune in for a special release day ENDLESS REPEAT event! Echo Arms ‘Round Me!

That reminds me — does "Roséwave" :jerkbag: make anyone else want to barf? I can hardly stand All Songs Considered anymore. I think it's the hosts. Am I being a stick-in-the-mud?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I just got back from seeing Radiohead for the first time and holy poo poo was it awesome.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Really digging this new album Carousel Kites from Paul Steel. It's masterful prog/psychedelic pop with immaculate production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNuEk9dwT8

I'm loving this as well. Best references I can come up with are Van Dyke Parks, ELO & Steely Dan. Pretty awesome.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 27, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
WTF is Roséwave?

drat kids and their waves.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

WTF is Roséwave?

drat kids and their waves.

It seems to be a fairly forced and incoherent muddle of feel-good hits

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Huh yeah we'll throw in Let's Eat Grandma, Lydia Loveless and The Courtneys along with the rest of this Mariah Carey and Counting Cheryl Crow(s) hodgepodge.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9G2Nr2h4D4

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Saw Against Me! at Subterranean over the weekend. That was a goddamn show.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90unmGG4eKI

This new Tim Hecker album is going to be massive

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The Chvrches aftershow was pretty good. The live drums work well with the songs off their new album, but they definitely didn't go so well with some of the older songs. It just felt kind of forced and drowned out a lot of the other stuff going on. It did add some cool wrinkles to some songs too though, so definitely made it a fresh experience at least. They closed with Never Say Die and holy poo poo, that's a song that comes off waaaaay better live than on the album.

Clearest Blue is still one of the best live songs you can ever see not my tweet

https://twitter.com/DanonymousMan/status/1024885537612738561

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Short notice, but CHVRCHES' Lolla set is gonna be livestreamed starting in a few minutes:
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1025025895508131841

e: Oh rad, Matt Berninger showed up to do My Enemy! The National's playing Lolla tomorrow, so that worked out.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 3, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol like 3 of the acts playing at lolla are doing the hinterlands festival im going to

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Av crew chiming in. This is still mostly true, but the shows I saw from 2008-13 were better than the ones from the past few years. Still great, but a notch or so below the peak of what I saw

Man I wish I saw them then, because they loving tore the roof off the Metro last night. Played until 2AM and god drat, what a show. Venue had a lot to do with it I'm sure, but this show compared to seeing them at like, the Chicago Theater in seats was night and day. They should never play seated venues again. Matt was in great form all night.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is ben folds indie

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
FINALLY got tickets to Courtney Barnett in Chicago goddamnit. Saw her at the Riv a few years ago and it's been impossible since.

Also bonus Waxahatchee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can you guys just throw out some names of people you like from the last 5 years or when ever really. I'm just hoovering up any suggestions and enjoying them.