Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think since Illinois, which is still my favorite, every album has been a disappointment until I've listened to it three times and realize I love it.

His weakest releases for me have been Sisyphus or Planetarium, which were both okay. All of his solo career stuff just needs some time to grow on me. I loved Ascension.

I wish he would go back to the style of Illinios, because I love the choices for instrumentation, but I'm just happy to get more music from the dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I will never listen to a 2.5 hour long album, not even for Sufjan. Sorry

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love the Michigan album. So good, so evocative. But while I fully support artists doing what they want, this sounds like a chore to get through.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Katana_Warrior posted:

You won't even humor the thought of listening to it in 20-30 minute chunks?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

You won't even humor the thought of listening to it in 20-30 minute chunks?

Realistically I'll probably either listen to the first 30 minutes and forget to pick it back up, or I'll put it on as background noise while I clean or something and half pay attention to it. I guess it's more accurate to say that I don't really expect 49 ~3 minute instrumentals to be anything more than a collection of cool sounding stuff he was making but chose not to use in a more compact project that people could realistically digest in a single sitting and devote their attention to, which is fine.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

His weakest releases for me have been Sisyphus or Planetarium, which were both okay. All of his solo career stuff just needs some time to grow on me. I loved Ascension.

I actually secretly love Sisyphus. I just love that Sufjan is in a rap group where they sing songs about the Octomom.

Katana_Warrior posted:

If it helps, each disc is apparently thematically differently and being released separately.

But yeah, this will probably be more like Aporia or Planetarium where I listen to it a few times and don't return to it. The only instrumental Sufjan album that I like all the way through is The BQE, which is thrilling.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm so down for a 2.5 hour album of instrumentals, gently caress me up Sufjan

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I got the bandcamp announcement for the Sufjan album, but just deleted it. After hearing it's 49 tracks, I clicked over to the page and they only let you preview one 2-minute track! Is this his NIN Ghosts phase?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kramdar posted:

I got the bandcamp announcement for the Sufjan album, but just deleted it. After hearing it's 49 tracks, I clicked over to the page and they only let you preview one 2-minute track! Is this his NIN Ghosts phase?

It looks like over the next month they are having listening parties once a week for each disc, and release a single a week. Then with the full reveal on May 6th. They're really making this an event.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Sufjan should release some Surfjams

Only half joking

Not even half

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Sufjan should release some Surfjams

Only half joking

Not even half

I would love this, and I would love some more lo-fi garagey poo poo like "Super Sexy Woman".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nihonniboku posted:

But yeah, this will probably be more like Aporia or Planetarium where I listen to it a few times and don't return to it. The only instrumental Sufjan album that I like all the way through is The BQE, which is thrilling.

Planetarium has enough solid "real" songs to be worth sitting through the mood pieces. Not one I spin very often though. "Jupiter" has a pretty strong Illinois vibe and "Saturn" is a banger

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
studio Majesty Snowbird when

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chamberk posted:

studio Majesty Snowbird when

Seriously. It's one of the best songs he's ever done. What's his hang up with it? I know he wrote it when he was suffering pretty bad from an autoimmune disease, but he released Tonya Harding after having worked on it off and on since he was a teenager.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sufjan is aiming for a #1 album based off of spotify streams like when Chris Brown released a 50 track triple album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GoutPatrol posted:

Sufjan is aiming for a #1 album based off of spotify streams like when Chris Brown released a 50 track triple album.

First the autotune now this, smh

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

There’s always someone that comes in to jack jack antonoff off

I bought NFR! on vinyl a few weeks ago after not listening to it for over a year, and I’m convinced the A side is one of the best trio of songs on an album of all time. I’m typically not a lyrics guy, but those three songs have impeccable millennial minded lyrics. “God drat man child, you hosed me so good that I almost said I love you.” hooks me right out of the gate, every time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

resident posted:

I bought NFR! on vinyl a few weeks ago after not listening to it for over a year, and I’m convinced the A side is one of the best trio of songs on an album of all time. I’m typically not a lyrics guy, but those three songs have impeccable millennial minded lyrics. “God drat man child, you hosed me so good that I almost said I love you.” hooks me right out of the gate, every time.

Lol everyone pretending that lyricism didn’t peak with “my pussy takes like Pepsi cola”

Edit: 100% serious question: did Lana pick Pepsi because

A: she thought coke might sue
B: she thought she might get an endorsement deal from Pepsi, who is notorious for getting singers for their ads
C: she was going for ironic iconography, which is why Pepsi Cola is paired with Cherry pies, which are also an inferior competition to an American icon (Coca-Cola and Apple pie, respectively)
D: “Pepsi cola” sounds better than “Coca Cola” because there’s less alliteration
E: before making this album she did a blind taste test and found that more Americans prefer her pussy over Coke

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 8, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol everyone pretending that lyricism didn’t peak with “my pussy takes like Pepsi cola”

B: she thought she might get an endorsement deal from Pepsi, who is notorious for getting singers for their ads
C: she was going for ironic iconography, which is why Pepsi Cola is paired with Cherry pies, which are also an inferior competition to an American icon (Coca-Cola and Apple pie, respectively)
D: “Pepsi cola” sounds better than “Coca Cola” because there’s less alliteration
E: before making this album she did a blind taste test and found that more Americans prefer her pussy over Coke

I don't know the song and couldn't tell you a song was LDR listening to it but I would guess it's C but also D but in *favour* of alliteration as the pepsi/pussy alliteration is good

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DC Murderverse posted:

all of the above

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Walrus posted:

I don't know the song and couldn't tell you a song was LDR listening to it but I would guess it's C but also D but in *favour* of alliteration as the pepsi/pussy alliteration is good

https://youtu.be/lBakG7KtVZE

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
its a good song

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivpq4VDFC1I

The first part of five of Sufjan's new album is livestreaming on youtube. It's also available on Spotify.

It's definitely ambient music. I won't be putting it on during parties, but maybe if I'm looking to relax or something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Nihonniboku posted:

It's definitely ambient music. I won't be putting it on during parties

as opposed to all those Sufjan Stevens albums

slotting Casimir Pulaski Day in right between Shots and Party Rock Anthem

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

abraham linksys posted:

as opposed to all those Sufjan Stevens albums

slotting Casimir Pulaski Day in right between Shots and Party Rock Anthem

There are definitely some more upbeat songs that I would play at a party. Impossible Soul, I Want to Be Well, Too Much, Djohariah, the live version of Fourth of July

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nihonniboku posted:

There are definitely some more upbeat songs that I would play at a party. Impossible Soul, I Want to Be Well, Too Much, Djohariah, the live version of Fourth of July

Lol, I mean I'd be cool with that kind of party but I'm not sure who else

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

isn't Impossible Soul 26 minutes long? Not sure why anyone would put that on at a party

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
New single from one of my favourite Kiwi artists Anthonie Tonnon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVNpKjlrbQg

Album comes out in July, and if it persuades you to check it out Jonathan Pearce of the Beths co-wrote half the songs and produced the whole thing

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Plus Liz Stokes plays french horn on one of the tracks!

Anyway, Tonnon is one of the best songwriters in NZ and it's a real shame he doesn't get more recognition for that, nationally or internationally.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Venomous posted:

isn't Impossible Soul 26 minutes long? Not sure why anyone would put that on at a party

It would be the best party.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Caught these guys "opening" for some virtual event U2 is doing:

Feu! Chatterton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UgekII9L6Y

They are totally amazing.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 10, 2021

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

in her latest entry of making people mad, all Lana posted was “i’ve always loved the way they loved” with pictures of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth. Like I get monarchs are crap and all but people have lost their mind with the internet outrage.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it's pretty stupid. in other lana news I listened to the new album. the first track is really bad and the rest were ok

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

in her latest entry of making people mad, all Lana posted was “i’ve always loved the way they loved” with pictures of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth. Like I get monarchs are crap and all but people have lost their mind with the internet outrage.

Considering Philip was a well known racist and the royal family is currently embroiled in a racism scandal it is not really that surprising?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Paperback Writer posted:

Lana is slowing down, Kerry Washington made the tweet that 2010 Lana would have made

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1380614323400278025?s=21

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Wezlar posted:

Considering Philip was a well known racist and the royal family is currently embroiled in a racism scandal it is not really that surprising?
It’s not surprising no. I didn’t like him but the pitchforks at her are excessive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paperback Writer posted:

It’s not surprising no. I didn’t like him but the pitchforks at her are excessive.

I agree, how could they give Norman loving Rockwell a 9.4.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I wasn't really feeling the new St. Vincent songs until I heard them live. They sound so much better with the over-production and excessively warm sound signature stripped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baklAZ2Rrt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeHnPfIEyss

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Godzilla07 posted:

I wasn't really feeling the new St. Vincent songs until I heard them live. They sound so much better with the over-production and excessively warm sound signature stripped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baklAZ2Rrt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeHnPfIEyss

Hopefully she does a tour for this album. Her last tour was terrible. She decided to tour without a band, and she performed on stage to backing tracks. It was incredibly awkward and I was extremely disappointed, despite being a huge fan. I can't believe she didn't nix the whole thing after the first couple of shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Oh hey, GY!BE released a new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZ1xf-IDlI