Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Coachella 2007 is still the best lineup ever imo - the number of acts on the bottom row that went on to be headliners is frankly insane. Saturday in particular is insane.

edit: 99% sure there's good stuff missing as well. could swear I saw an amazing Cut Chemist set.

edit: Sonic Youth missing too, and Peaches... and there's got to be more too. I can't find an updated lineup for some reason

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Walrus posted:

Coachella 2007 is still the best lineup ever imo - the number of acts on the bottom row that went on to be headliners is frankly insane. Saturday in particular is insane.

edit: 99% sure there's good stuff missing as well. could swear I saw an amazing Cut Chemist set.

edit: Sonic Youth missing too, and Peaches... and there's got to be more too. I can't find an updated lineup for some reason

RIP Grizzly Bear

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
can't find a pic but my favorite one i actually went to was monolith 2009, which was at red rocks.

Saturday, September 12

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Girl Talk
Of Montreal
M. Ward
DOOM
The Walkmen
OK Go
Ida Maria
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Frightened Rabbit
Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
Hollywood Holt + Million $ Mano
Starf*cker
Thunderheist
Woodhands
These United States
Cymbals Eat Guitars
The Antlers
Cotton Jones
Gregory Alan Isakov
Lydia
Generationals
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
The Answering Machine
Roadside Graves
Danielle Ate the Sandwich
Speakeasy Tiger
Autovaughn
Avi Buffalo
Wendy Darling
Boulder Acoustic Society
Caitlin Rose

Sunday, September 13
The Mars Volta
MSTRKRFT
Method Man & Redman
Phoenix
The Dandy Warhols
Chromeo
The Glitch Mob
Passion Pit
WALE
The Thermals
Harlem Shakes
Monotonix
The Grates
HEALTH
Deer Tick
The Twilight Sad
The Features
Spindrift
Savoy
Bad Veins
We Were Promised Jetpacks
Beats Antique
Tigercity
French Horn Rebellion
The Pirate Signal
Neon Indian
The Knew
A Shoreline Dream
The Royal Bangs
Red Wire Black Wire
Jim McTurnan & the Kids That Killed the Man
Rachel Goodrich

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is the only festival I’ve ever been to. Read em and weep, boys

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the zen tricksters were actually at home meditating though

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the guy I smoked blunts with in college was obsessed with medeski Martin and wood. They're ok

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Being down at the bottom of the world we don't tend to get huge festivals, but the best I've ever been to was Laneway 2014.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

james blake, rtj and umo in the same show!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
that's not a bad lineup

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

i thought warped tour was cool but I guess those genres aren’t as popular anymore

Early 2000s warped tour leeeeesgo

Y’all ever been in a pit and been like “if I fall over I’m probably gonna die”

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gone Fashing posted:

the guy I smoked blunts with in college was obsessed with medeski Martin and wood. They're ok

It's funny thinking back at what indie bands and jam poo poo was trending back in the early to mid 2000s, so much of it pretty forgotten. Nothing new but those were my youth days so hits harder.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i thought warped tour was cool but I guess those genres aren’t as popular anymore

Early 2000s warped tour leeeeesgo

Pop punk is on some comeback but it's basically Will Smith's daughter and other big pop stars being produced in a pop punk sound.

Punk is always a thing but yeah the late 90s into the 2000s wave will probably never be reached again in terms of popularity. My buddy thinks ska is about to have a fourth wave but subgenres of rock being big in the realm of rock music is still small time since rock is dead and the only poo poo that charts is pop, rap, and EDM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

Just ok? Gathering of the vibes camping pass REVOKED

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Dude, Keller Williams sounds like folk jams as a full band but it's just him. LETS TAKE DRUGS

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Talking fests, the one that's stood out to me and probably only a small amount of Midwesterners was Bledfest. All indie, punk, emo in an old high school. Like no security, total chaos, but tons of fun. Will always be one of my biggest live music highlights.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The only festival I’ve been to was Loufest but I got to see like the only good show of OutKast’s reunion tour, arctic monkeys and a Matt and Kim set that was insano

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Being down at the bottom of the world we don't tend to get huge festivals, but the best I've ever been to was Laneway 2014.

Oh hey I was there! Good memories of that one. Rackets haha! so odd to see the k road indie bands intermixed with the overseas big names. My claim to fame is ending up in the ambulance almost immediately after getting through the gate of laneway auckland in 2010. Effectively becoming the very first ambulance'd punter of all the auckland laneways haha oh god. But seriously, the best lineup in NZ music festival history is either Big Day Out 2006

Parachute Music Festival 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean come the gently caress on

Haha I saw From First to Last before he became Skrillex—my one claim to fame!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Walrus posted:

Including a future Oscar winner on Friday (Brother Ali = Mahershala Ali).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

After watching the Wet Leg singles I started getting recommends from Green Man Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8FELWZcmZw

Great mixing and lots of good finds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCeOJDv3tE

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Including a future Oscar winner on Friday (Brother Ali = Mahershala Ali).

The albino guy?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

screaden posted:

The albino guy?

Ah gently caress. Mahershala was PRINCE Ali. I'm a dumbass. He was putting music out in California in 2007, so I was halfway there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slandible posted:

Talking fests, the one that's stood out to me and probably only a small amount of Midwesterners was Bledfest. All indie, punk, emo in an old high school. Like no security, total chaos, but tons of fun. Will always be one of my biggest live music highlights.

I’m one of those Midwesterners. Saw some truly special sets at Bled Fest, probably peaking with The World Is a Beautiful Place at like 2 pm by the entrance a couple of weeks after their debut album had leaked.

They definitely had security though! I saw a guard get in a tussle with an unruly fan during a Chariot set and chase him out of the room.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
https://lambgoat.com/news/2615/Dude-Fest-(Indianapolis)-info

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Their European fan base is pretty good, but their Japanese is better :grin:

this post is boxing clever

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

More Porridge Radio, turns out they just own generally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3BrQzmBF1w

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tainen posted:

Phoebe released her annual Christmas cover. This year its a very beautiful rendition of Tom Wait's, Day After Tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNT_nmqPuA

This came across my release radar, really enjoying it. The three of Boygenius each all had a single a really liked this year.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/best-songs-2021/

Whoa no chaise longue :aaa: wouldn't be surprised if it's just p4k being contrarian for views

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The stereogum best album list (top 50) doesn't include Dry Cleaning, which felt like more of a lock than the new Nation of Language album (which I was largely cold on) or the Iceage album (which has a bunch of killer singles, surrounded by a bunch of fairly bleh album tracks).

https://www.stereogum.com/2169206/the-50-best-albums-of-2021/lists/year-in-review/2021-in-review/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

air- posted:

Whoa no chaise longue :aaa: wouldn't be surprised if it's just p4k being contrarian for views

Listened to their number 1; it's boring.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I suppose 'Failure' would fall under Indie Rock these days? Their new album is short at 10 tracks and under 40 minutes.....but it's really great. 'Half Moon' stands out like a sore thumb. Such an amazing song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGB5l8RsyGM

Other standouts imo include 'Bring Back the Sound', 'Water with Hands', 'Handstand' and 'Submarines'. Really...the entire album is great. I'm very happy with it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

air- posted:

ROFL. What is this list?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Listened to their number 1; it's boring.

I've really liked the number one song all year, but it was absolutely not on my radar as a song of the year. What a weird list.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hadn't heard the number 1. It's fine, but best song of the year? Not really seeing it.

Glad to see Low's high on the list. That album has really just taken over my playlist to a large extent since it came out. Not the single I would've picked from it, but anything's good.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Pitchfork lost any bit of credibility to me a long time ago. Its fine seeing where some stuff is placed, but their choices over the years have been questionable at best.

Working on my EoY list myself and this is always great/super tough.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The horrifying constellation of talent that came out of the AV Club taught me to follow writers, not platforms. There are a few writers on the site that I like, and I look for their writing elsewhere. Otherwise, the editorial voice of Pitchfork as a whole is pretty dismal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Slandible posted:

Pitchfork lost any bit of credibility to me a long time ago. Its fine seeing where some stuff is placed, but their choices over the years have been questionable at best.

Working on my EoY list myself and this is always great/super tough.

I think what's happened over the years is that Pitchfork has over corrected from criticism that they were pretentious music snobs, so they've gone in the opposite direction and decided to eschew the type of music that they would have gone for in the past and instead go for the latest factory produced top 40 pop or rap album. I used to love going there to learn about the best up and coming indie rock groups, and now you'll go there and see them fangirling over a 17 year old Disney star's debut pop album.

I honestly don't know where to discover new music these days anymore. NPR had their finger on the pulse of what was great for like 3 years over a decade ago, but they don't seem to know what they're talking about anymore either.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nihonniboku posted:

now you'll go there and see them fangirling over a 17 year old Disney star's debut pop album.

Yeah but to be fair, Sour was actually really good.

I find most of my new music through Bandcamp articles these days, to be honest, followed by seeing people opening for other acts I already like when I go to gigs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah but to be fair, Sour was actually really good.

I think I just want music to be 2007 again

cptn_dr posted:

I find most of my new music through Bandcamp articles these days, to be honest, followed by seeing people opening for other acts I already like when I go to gigs.

Huh, didn't realize bandcamp did articles. I just thought it was a place to buy music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pitchfork’s rap coverage right now is pretty good, its a small circle who posts a song every weekday and regular articles and it’s very up on trends and not just Megan/Cardi/Kendrick/Drake. Those names obviously pop up but they also keep up on what’s being posted straight to YT/Bandcamp/SoundCloud and local trends in a more thorough way than they did 10 years ago