Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

conductit
Mar 9, 2012
I've been on an Andrew Bird kick for the past few months
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFKw9OJ6jE - Orpheo Look Back
This track from his new album is just phenomenal. Really underscores the violin talent he has, and the layering on it just draws me in.
Dr. Dog released their new album which is great, but really I dig their older blues stuff.
The Ark by them is really emotive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-0G7o8hgA
Then there are The Dodos, really just a two man act. But he puts out some really great indie minimalist music, with that pop under it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvjItvYgBu0 - Walking, by them.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for artists, I'm very much into Bird, Jose Gonzalez, Fleet Foxes, Local Natives, The Shins, and Portugal the Man right now. So mostly indie pop, I love music with good tone and lyrics.

conductit fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Dodos and Local Natives are both fantastic folk/pop bands. Taking folk music and adding really big loud drums to it is a great idea, and I don't know why more bands aren't trying it.

SneakyPriest
Oct 31, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

Pittsburgh has a really awesome summer concert calendar and it's kind of crazy. I never thought I'd get to see Modest Mouse here, and I'm still up debating about Beach House just because it's the weekend after Pitchfork. Battles is here in June, and though not indie or anything, I'm losing my mind at the thought of seeing The Bouncing Souls and The Menzingers together in August. Then other cool stuff is St. Vincent (today actually), Tune-Yards, Los Campesinos, My Morning Jacket/Band of Horses, Death Cab for Cutie/Andrew Bird... it's shaping up to be a great summer.

I just got home from the St. Vincent show, actually. That was probably the best show I've been to, she just had so much energy (and anger). She came into the crowd for her last song and I got to mosh with her. God drat that was amazing. If anyone has a chance to see her live, jump at it.

SneakyPriest fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2012

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So the new Silversun Pickups album, Neck of the Woods, comes out tomorrow. It's up on their Soundcloud here.

I've only given it one listen so far, but I thought it was really, really good. It's a bit heavier than their old stuff and it's definitely a good sound. I need some more listens to really give a more informed opinion on it, however. I can say I am really digging Bloody Mary and Out of Breath, though.

Give it a listen!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No one's brought up the new Animal Collective?

http://www.myanimalhome.net/

Honeycomb/Gotham

Both sound super awesome to my ears!

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

SneakyPriest posted:

I just got home from the St. Vincent show, actually. That was probably the best show I've been to, she just had so much energy (and anger). She came into the crowd for her last song and I got to mosh with her. God drat that was amazing. If anyone has a chance to see her live, jump at it.

I was there as well. Great live shows tend to be either technically excellent but predictable, or exciting and euphoric but a bit sloppy--Ms. Clark was flawless as both as a musician and entertainer. I have literally never enjoyed a musical performance, live or recorded, more than I did tonight. I was really surprised that she sang Krokodile, since it seems like kind of a musically difficult song, but even moshing/crowd standing, she never missed a word or note and looked like she was in a fugue, just singing and grabbing and shaking. Could listen to Northern Lights live forever.

SleighBells at Mr. Smalls should be a riot, too, though their live performances are sometimes kind of off.

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2012

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I posted this in a PYF thread earlier, but I figured it merited being posted here as well: new Passion Pit song :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMhhq7zwPc

I had no idea they were doing a new album this year so hell yes

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
It's not a bad song by any means but I wouldn't have known it was Passion Pit (that being said, "Sleepyhead" is the only song of theirs I really enjoy)

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Dancing Years AKA Joseph and David are a pair of folky Musicians from Cardiff and Leeds who released a really good EP called Rise Up The Sun in december 2011, while the EP is great as a whole the single from it is absolutely fantastic:

Falling Wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQVApoopTA

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

surfpenguin posted:

I heard the song "Ho Hey," by The Lumineers a while back on my local indie radio station and I became pretty infatuated with the available songs on grooveshark. They recently released their first full album on April 3 and I'm been listening to it like crazy. Especially digging "Stubborn Love," and "Big Parade." Hopefully I can get to their show in Chapel Hill later this April, but grad school dependent.

Here's a short description from the site: "The roots revival of the last few years has primed listeners for a new generation of rustic, heart-on-the-sleeve music—the kind that nods to tradition while setting off into uncharted territory. The Lumineers walk that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics."

They're from Denver and you can listen to their entire album on their website: http://thelumineers.com/

Quoting this from a bit ago because it's easily the best new folk album I've come across thus far in 2012. Holy poo poo it is good.

I'll also drop a quick namedrop for The Rural Alberta Advantage as being a very good new discovery for me.

edit: And I think Octoberman as a folky rock band that rules needs to be mentioned too.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2012

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Metric just announced tour dates for their new album, SYNTHETICA. If you buy tickets directly from the band now (for less than face value, no less), they'll send you a download copy their new single "Youth Without Youth" for free, and a free download of the rest of the album (along with 5 bonus tracks) when it comes out June, 12.

YWY isn't my favorite single, but it's not terrible. Nevertheless, considering how good their last two records have been, I have high hopes for the rest of the album.

Anyway, I think it's nice of them (and fairly forward-thinking) to basically give away the mp3s to their fans like this.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
So while Nate Ruess is getting his much deserved success in fun., the other half of The Format, Sam Means, has a new EP out and it's pretty good.

Here's him performing an acoustic version of one of the songs, Will You Hang Around?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDxWaASN8c

And the rest of the album can be streamed/bought from his site: http://music.means.am/album/nona-deluxe-version

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I don't know whether Maxïmo Park are on the radar of Americans, but they alerted me through facebook that they're putting out a new album this year and just released the video for the first single, Hips and Lips.

I'm not overly impressed and their last album didn't do too much for me either, but I can forgive them seeing as their first two albums A Certain Trigger and Our Earthly Pleasures included such gems as Graffiti and Russian Literature

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I know Maxïmo Park and I'm American. :) Thanks for reminding me that I need to repurchase A Certain Trigger since my last ipod crashed!

I'm going to see Mark Lanegan play tomorrow (does he fit in this thread?) in Philly -- have any of you seen him perform lately? If so, how's his voice been holding up?

He's touring to support his latest album and I have to say...I think it's boring. He's one of my all-time favorite musicians, so I feel bad for saying it, but I'm hoping his set mixes in a lot of his older songs.

He's playing at the TLA and the last time I was there, about 10 years ago, I saw the Folk Implosion open for the Melvins. That show was every bit as schizophrenic and awesome as you'd expect such a bill to be. :devil:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I was in NYC last weekend and decided to get tickets to the Crossing Brooklyn Ferry festival on Saturday. Caveman played a 45 minute set inside the Brooklyn Academy of Music opera house and completely killed it. It was easily one of the best live shows I've ever seen, both audio and visually, which is even more impressive considering they have only been receiving press coverage for around 6 months. Their stage presence reminded me a bit of Radiohead playing "There, There" with very strong rhythmic soundwaves that easily filled the venue. My friend saw them during CMJ last fall and said their live performance has gotten significantly better in only half a year. Their first album, CoCo Beware, came out last November.

Here's a lovely youtube from CBF. It does not do the actual performance justice at all.

And their official video for the song Thankful

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Here's Spiritualized live from last night on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/152291064/spiritualized-in-concert

Koolin
Mar 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

The new Ramona Falls, Prophet, is really good by the way.

It comes out tomorrow, but I got my digital download just a minute ago from my pre-order.

It's been up for streaming on Stereogum for the past week or so though. Check it out:

http://stereogum.com/1009241/stream-ramona-falls-prophet-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/

Just got around to listening to this, to anyone that skipped over it I suggest you give it a listen. It really is fantastic.

EverymanGirl
Aug 7, 2011
The Singular is a local band in my area that's really polished and has a unique sound. I’m terrible at describing musical genres, but it’s kinda alternative, indie rock with Nihilistic lyrics. I really like the album Sad Machine (which you can listen to on their webpage). Their website also has videos of their practice sessions, which I find amusing.

The obligatory youtube link is here:
http://youtu.be/BwY0In-v2bw

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

St0rmD posted:

Metric just announced tour dates for their new album, SYNTHETICA. If you buy tickets directly from the band now (for less than face value, no less), they'll send you a download copy their new single "Youth Without Youth" for free, and a free download of the rest of the album (along with 5 bonus tracks) when it comes out June, 12.

YWY isn't my favorite single, but it's not terrible. Nevertheless, considering how good their last two records have been, I have high hopes for the rest of the album.

Anyway, I think it's nice of them (and fairly forward-thinking) to basically give away the mp3s to their fans like this.

Bought my ticket in a heartbeat. October can't come fast enough.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Purity Ring are finally releasing an album on 7/24. I cannot loving wait.

They released a track from the album a couple weeks ago and it's incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbGpGJNVLM. I still like Belispeak better but Obedear is a close second.

I just checked and I have 217 Purity Ring plays on last.fm. From 3 songs. :shepface:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just saw Wilco in Jackson, Mississippi and I was impressed. That was my first Wilco centric show (I've seen 'em a couple of times in festival settings) and I was amazed. The few times in festivals they typically have received a tepid welcome and it's sort of a "ok play and get off" feeling.

I was actually afraid of that happening here because regardless of how bad we actually like people to play here, Mississippi crowds are generally very subdued. But the crowd went loving NUTS. I mean it was just ridiculous and you could generally tell they thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't think I've ever seen Jeff Tweedy smile that much in a 3 hour period. I think there was like 3 encores. It was ridiculous and awesome.

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

What was their set list like? I really want to get myself to one of their shows.

mrpurplecat
Mar 20, 2003

resident posted:

I was in NYC last weekend and decided to get tickets to the Crossing Brooklyn Ferry festival on Saturday. Caveman played a 45 minute set inside the Brooklyn Academy of Music opera house and completely killed it. It was easily one of the best live shows I've ever seen, both audio and visually, which is even more impressive considering they have only been receiving press coverage for around 6 months. Their stage presence reminded me a bit of Radiohead playing "There, There" with very strong rhythmic soundwaves that easily filled the venue. My friend saw them during CMJ last fall and said their live performance has gotten significantly better in only half a year. Their first album, CoCo Beware, came out last November.

Played with them at a fest in Madison in January. Nice dudes, good live show, great record.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BITCHTITS posted:

What was their set list like? I really want to get myself to one of their shows.

quote:

One Sunday Morning
Art Of Almost
I Might
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
One Wing
You Are My Face
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)
Impossible Germany
Capitol City
Handshake Drugs
California Stars
Born Alone
Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season) (electric arrangement)
Via Chicago
Whole Love
Wilco (the song)
Box Full Of Letters
Hummingbird
A Shot in the Arm
Dawned On Me
Jesus, etc.
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At The End of the Century)
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
Hoodoo Voodoo (w/ bass/guitar/keyboard tech Josh on cowbell)

Copy and pasted from their Facebook feed.

Kinda wished they would've played Misunderstood, but otherwise an awesome show. (And the tech on cowboy was hilarious at the end...he was struttin around with no shirt on. Felt like something from Almost Famous).

As far as new music...just came across these guys last night while watching HBO's "Girls."

The Echo-Friendly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y2b7FyaynC0

They only have two songs out I can see right now (at least on Spotify). Good stuff though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

BonoMan posted:

setlist

Pretty cool, I'm seeing them... um either sometime this summer or september, I can't remember now, whenever they're playing Brooklyn. So I'd be pretty happy with a setlist like that.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I saw Tennis in Kansas City on Saturday, and it was a great show. Probably the weirdest location fora venue I've been to yet, we were in a strip mall next door to a dollar tree. There was also a half price books and records though, where me and my friends bumped into alaina moore and patrick riley. They were pretty nice, we talked to them for a bit, got a picture, and they signed our records later. The show was pretty awesome too, we had a great spot by the stage and they played pretty much everything I wanted to hear.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Medium Cool posted:

I saw Tennis in Kansas City on Saturday, and it was a great show. Probably the weirdest location fora venue I've been to yet, we were in a strip mall next door to a dollar tree. There was also a half price books and records though, where me and my friends bumped into alaina moore and patrick riley. They were pretty nice, we talked to them for a bit, got a picture, and they signed our records later. The show was pretty awesome too, we had a great spot by the stage and they played pretty much everything I wanted to hear.
Strip mall venues are the weirdest loving thing. There's one in the Albany area called Northern Lights, I saw the Dresden Dolls there once and it was weird as hell

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Pablo Gigante posted:

Strip mall venues are the weirdest loving thing. There's one in the Albany area called Northern Lights, I saw the Dresden Dolls there once and it was weird as hell

I saw An Horse and Cage the Elephant open for Silversun Pickups there (all great bands that everyone should try). I was extremely confused when my GPS took me there, especially since I had thought I heard it was an outdoor venue. Cool place on the inside, but yeah, weird as hell location.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Medium Cool posted:

Are you not KC local? The location may seem odd but it is only about 4 blocks from KC's indie capitol, Westport. Record bar gets in the best bang/buck artists in the area. Many artists will go on to play venues that are 5-10x the size of it in other cities. It is a great place to see emerging indie bands, both headlining and opening.

I was also at the show, but just thought it was average. That was likely because I was exhausted from day drinking as much as it was the quality of the music.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No one's brought up the new Animal Collective?

http://www.myanimalhome.net/

Honeycomb/Gotham

Both sound super awesome to my ears!
First impressions: pretty cool. Neither song has quite WOWed me like AC usually does, but "Gotham" comes close--really love the vocal harmonies and lilting rhythm to it. "Honeycomb" is kinda cool, but it's a bit sterile for AC.

e: second impressions with "Gotham"--the end sounds like the song is going to transition into something reeeeeally good then just ends. kind of a bummer.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2012

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

resident posted:

Are you not KC local? The location may seem odd but it is only about 4 blocks from KC's indie capitol, Westport. Record bar gets in the best bang/buck artists in the area. Many artists will go on to play venues that are 5-10x the size of it in other cities. It is a great place to see emerging indie bands, both headlining and opening.

I was also at the show, but just thought it was average. That was likely because I was exhausted from day drinking as much as it was the quality of the music.

Nah, I'm from NWA so it was 4 hour drive for me. Me and my friends all had the day off and it was a convenient excuse for a road trip. It was my first show in KC. I enjoyed the venue though, and thought the crowd had a lot of good energy. I was standing right next to the drunk guy who screamed "KANSAS CITY LOOOVES YOU!!!" after every song

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

I saw An Horse and Cage the Elephant open for Silversun Pickups there (all great bands that everyone should try). I was extremely confused when my GPS took me there, especially since I had thought I heard it was an outdoor venue. Cool place on the inside, but yeah, weird as hell location.

Yeah An Horse is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfBLsC5SiA

Edit:

So Best Coast's new album came out today. I was a pretty big fan of the first, but I'm not sure how I feel about the new one. I really like the lo-fi sound and it's really pushed away from that. It's more...surf pop than surf rock I guess. Only halfway through the album though.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 16, 2012

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

thehoodie posted:

So the new Silversun Pickups album, Neck of the Woods, comes out tomorrow. It's up on their Soundcloud here.

I've only given it one listen so far, but I thought it was really, really good. It's a bit heavier than their old stuff and it's definitely a good sound. I need some more listens to really give a more informed opinion on it, however. I can say I am really digging Bloody Mary and Out of Breath, though.

Give it a listen!

I've had this on continuous loop since it came out, pretty much, and it's fantastic. Skin Graph, Simmer, Mean Spirits, and The Pit are highlights. I'm hoping they make Dots and Dashes into a single.

...not that it'll matter because the only alt/indie-rock station in Boston got bought by ClearChannel today :negative:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I saw O'Brother this past weekend during Thrice's farewell tour and they killed it. Their set was a bit short (only about five songs), but I was quite blown away. Tanner (lead singer) has been improving dramatically since I first saw them. I highly recommend their new album Garden Window.

yay songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflJpjdmyG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUeXWF69yQ

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Joshua Radin has a new single on his Facebook page. It's from his album coming out at the end of July.

http://www.facebook.com/joshuaradin/app_185856288158356

It's honestly his best song in years. His last album, The Rock and the Tide, was overproduced; he tried, and failed, to move from folk to general rock. This new song, Underwater, manages to combine the more aggressive instrumentation of his last album with a more traditional, fitting style for him.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've been digging Bear In Heaven's newest album "I Love You, It's Cool" a lot lately, particularly Sinful Nature. I love the variety of the synths and vocal melodies, this is easily my choice for song of the year so far.

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!

WaterIsPoison posted:

I saw O'Brother this past weekend during Thrice's farewell tour and they killed it. Their set was a bit short (only about five songs), but I was quite blown away. Tanner (lead singer) has been improving dramatically since I first saw them. I highly recommend their new album Garden Window.

yay songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflJpjdmyG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUeXWF69yQ
Can't agree more. I've seen them opening for dudes half a dozen times, and then attended one of their headline shows. Awesome dude's overall, too. The drummer, Michael, got interviewed for my girlfriend's blog.

Totally psyched to see them open for Thrice next Friday.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

I've been digging Bear In Heaven's newest album "I Love You, It's Cool" a lot lately, particularly Sinful Nature. I love the variety of the synths and vocal melodies, this is easily my choice for song of the year so far.

Yeah! That's my fav off the album too. "Lovesick Teenagers" off the previous album is probably my second favorite song of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGS7vNLhxNA

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars
New Walkmen is out rather soon and it sounds great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yDtfGl30s

I've also been on a total post-punk binge and have been blaring the poo poo out of (not really sure if I should post this here or the punk thread, but whatever):

The Pop Group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VnwL4-Ghn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0tYowbIxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okG8mlvAKT8

The Raincoats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QufDdHzWhgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJt56z5Ywc

Big in Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNatnslwrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvnfI87xD_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

St0rmD posted:

They recently released a preview of another song "Speed of the Collapse" on their Facebook. I'm really excited to get my hands on their new album. Has anyone seen them live? I've heard they aren't that great of a live band so I'm hesitant to get a ticket for when they come to my area.