Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
Well that's why she's second in the billing, though her style come across in the dynamics and song structure somewhat. I would imagine when working with David Byrne it's hard to have a distinctive voice and not just be glad to work with him and start deferring your ideas everywhere. In fact, I think that the fact that it doesn't sound like either of their solo work too much is one of the best strengths of the album. I always felt the Byrne/Eno stuff felt like Eno was serving as more of a "producer who was allowed to contribute musically" more than anything else.

I have to say this is the first time in a few years where I immediately re-listened to an album after it was over, and the first time I can remember where I've done it after the second time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

Star Man posted:

Heard this little gem this morning on Wyoming Public Radio. Pretty cool way of playing on an acoustic guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgiw5l83Hhk

Check out Kaki King, that's her whole shtick.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I thought Phoenix only had that one album with the bombs on it :psyduck:

If you're not being sarcastic, you should really explore their back-catalogue. They started off as the backing band for Air's UK tour sometime before their first album. United is a real inconsistent hodge-podge of an album, but its still worth starting their discography from the beginning. Then it becomes even more obvious how much WAP was their Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

Dirp posted:

Is it worth $36 to see Neutral Milk Hotel in 2013?

Or ever, I guess.

Duh.

Although I actually am pretty ambivalent about NMH. I'd probably end up going just to feel superior to my friends, which is definitely the wrong reason.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
Eh, glancing over it it seems a bit dated in how the "indie" thing is presented. I think its a good analysis of how things worked a few years ago, but the internet worked so differently when Funeral or Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were released. I mean, there's no serious discussion in this thesis of :filez: or services like Pandora, Spotify, and Last.fm, or even Youtube and Tumblr.

I honestly find that Pitchfork has grown up a lot in the past 5-7 years; the scoring system is more or less standardized and most of the problematic writers that gave the site its reputation have moved on to other things. I remember when pretentious was the word-du-jour for their reviews, but now I think the signifiers that are associated with that word show up much more frequently in articles published on Tiny Mix Tapes or The Quietus. Plus Pitchfork has had some real innovative presentations for their feature articles, the recent piece on Savages was really impressive.