Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Sleigh Bells' last album, Treats, and their new one, Reign of Terror is set to hit on Tuesday.

It feels like they're taking it in a new direction compared to their first album, and so far I really like it despite some apprehension by other fans. Two singles released so far are Born to Lose, which I felt was kind of meh, and Comeback Kid which is really energetic and more akin to the feel of their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwcUdX7XMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Schremp Howard posted:

We're just under three months away, but is anyone else going to Pitchfork Fest? I'm headed there Saturday, the line-up is incredibly strong that day.

drat that is an awesome day to go. I would hate to miss Purity Ring on Friday though.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I posted this in a PYF thread earlier, but I figured it merited being posted here as well: new Passion Pit song :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMhhq7zwPc

I had no idea they were doing a new album this year so hell yes

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Apparently a new Cults album is coming out in September? I'm seriously starting to think all my favorite artists of the last four years are all releasing new albums this years.

First song from the new album, I Can Hardly Make You Mine, definitely feels like a progression from the stuff on their first album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ARKA_sJg4

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm one if those that really liked MGMT's first album but didn't really get into Congratulations, and it sounds like the new one is going to be just as out there as the last one was. If I remember correctly, a lot of the songs on Oracular Spectacular were made back in their college days before they were signed and that they were pressured into putting them on the first album instead of their newer material which they were happier with because the early stuff was more dance-y and mainstream, so Congratulations was them doing their own thing to get "revenge".

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

incoherent posted:

Tennis, a lovely indie pop band released Small Sounds that followed a really great album from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fyz5Li6k8

I love the new Tennis EP but Mean Streets is the best song on the album bar none:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ei2gXl203w

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Had the chance to see Washed Out live with Small Black opening for them in Knoxville, TN this past Monday and it was an excellent show. I'm not the best concert photographer but there were lots of pretty lights so I was happy :)

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So, I have the chance to go see King Tuff in concert in Nashville here in a few days and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen him live before? Is he worth going to see?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Mariana Horchata posted:

awesome...i picked up a ticket a week or so ago for his show in Cambridge on 10/10 for like $15, should be a good time.

Saw the show last night and it was crazy and amazing and I'm jealous he lives in LA and they get to see him more than once a year. Also met the band in person and they're all great guys, even if the bassist (Magic Jake?) looks like a guy that lost custody of his kids in 1987.

Either way I have never seen so many skinny white kids lose their mind at the same time when he played Alone and Stoned at the end of the show. People were crowd surfing all over the place and the poor security guy didn't know what to do :allears:

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 3, 2014

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Howling Man posted:

Father John Misty has got a new record coming out in Feb and just put out his new tour dates. Everyone seek out his performance of 'Bored in the USA' he did on Letterman monday.

Oh, Father John Misty, just the best.

He's coming to Nashville in March and KING TUFF is opening for him. I'm so excited :allears:

Odd clash of styles between the two though? I'm guessing being label mates now will do that

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Chaz Bundick has announced a new Toro Y Moi album is coming out soon, and from the first single they've released it's gonna be a serious departure from his previous TYM work. It's still wonderful so I'm looking forward to it, but I'm gonna miss that sound he had on Underneath the Pine and Causers of This.

https://soundcloud.com/carparkrecords/toro-y-moi-empty-nesters

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

incoherent posted:

He caught up with the 80s styles and is now deep into 90's alt music. I hope this isn't the album, but we always have Les Sins as a good stand in if he wants to go off recreate 90's friends style coffee muzak.

That makes sense given that one of the guys from Unknown Mortal Orchestra helped him produce Empty Nesters so I can see the influence.

EDIT: First single from that new Lord Huron album mentioned a few posts up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRJJ0B5NaQ

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2015

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

The new Father John Misty album is fantastic. If you like the folk stuff, it's a must listen.

It makes sense to me now why J Tillman left Fleet Foxes to focus on this stuff.

Seriously. I can't say this enough. I'm so god damned excited to see him in concert in March, even moreso after hearing the new album.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Real Name Grover posted:

So here's a YouTube of I Love You, Honeybear for the cheap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMfvhKIgBo

My kneejerk reaction is that he's at least equaled Fear Fun. As I listened to it, I was worried we wouldn't get one heavy track like "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" but it came on the back end with "The Ideal Husband."

That said, I'm not sure what to make of "True Affection."

I actually liked True Affection, it's pretty good even if it doesn't match the rest of the album's sound.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Speaking of recommending Lord Huron has anyone seen anything else about their new album? The song they released a few weeks ago for it was pretty good but I haven't seen anything about it since.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Saw King Tuff and Father John Misty last night in Nashville. Second time seeing KT live, and while I did have fun it definitely showed they were the opener. I still had a ton of fun and they rocked out, especially seeing all the well-dressed FJM fans running for cover when the King Tuff fans started getting crazy and throwing beers. FJM was incredible as well, if only for his stage presence, the dude was a god damned lunatic up there given the kind of music he plays.

Blurry photos inc:

Dude knows irony

Couldn't even begin to get close to the front of the stage with the shitload of people but I got a decent view

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

jiffypop45 posted:

They are coming to Dallas but the show is in the middle of the week and I don't get enough sleep as it is. I'd loved to see that pair though. I feel like KT would do an awesome show.

Oh they do, but I'll be honest, KT lend themselves better as headliners or just a more receptive crowd. The one they played at Marathon Music works in Nashville was huge compared to where we saw them headline back last October, with at least twice as many people there for them to play, but because it was mostly Father John Misty fans only a handful of the crowd actually got into it compared to the previous show I saw them at.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

jiffypop45 posted:

I don't really understand opener pairings sometimes:psyduck:

Yeah some Sub-Pop/WMG higher up probably thought the pairing would be doing KT a favor but I didn't see a ton of crossover potential while I was there.

In separate news I got tickets to see Toro Y Moi May 10th in Nashville. Anyone seen Chaz play live and can tell me if he's worth the $40 tickets?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I probably should have said that was $40 for me and my girlfriend, so a little under 20 per person plus surcharges. But yeah I think it'll be overall enjoyable since I've listened to his music for years.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So this is a thing from Tame Impala today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEB2AEqHxc

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

It helps that FJM also has a song on his new album that is literally about how lovely some of his fans/acquaintances are, that he also plays regularly at his live shows.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm still regretting not jumping on the opportunity to see Tame Impala in Nashville back last month. Tickets sold out super quickly and now I have no idea if they'll be back in Nashville or Memphis any time soon :/

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Not sure this was ever in doubt, but new Tame Impala is exquisite. The singles are great, plus The Moment and Reality in Motion might even be better than at least some of those singles.

This is absolutely true. Reality in Motion is even better than Cause I'm A Man and didn't think there'd be a single track better than that on the complete album.

Also I don't know what the consensus is gonna be when the album releases, but I'm oddly into Past Life, it's so weird but good.

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 9, 2015

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

boji posted:

I was so excited for the new Tame impala, but its hard to not just find it a huge disappointment. The jump from Innerspeaker to Lonerism felt perfect, but still kept things interesting.

It's not like Currents is a bad album or anything, just such a large departure that it feels like less of an evolution and more like Kevin Parker just going "Wheee! We've made it and I can do all the experimenting I want now!"

I have fond memories of cruising around in the mountains with friends listening to the first couple albums. It felt like the perfect soundtrack for sort of letting go of poo poo and experiencing things. I guess I was looking forward to more of that.

I think one of the reviews I've seen in the last few few days of Currents put it best: Parker had to decide whether to keep playing the same music album after album and continue in the vein of something like My Morning Jacket where you have a small but rabid fan-base that eats it up, or to be adventurous and see what you can do, and he decided to be adventurous. I love the new album and whenever I feel like I want something closer to his older stuff, I just listen to Lonerism or Innerspeaker.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm going to see Run the Jewels and I can't. loving. Wait.

Anyone seen them live? How are they?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

incoherent posted:

Consider them a family friendly death grips show. Positive, but intense.

That would be better if it was just me going. I bought tickets for me and my girlfriend and she's been hesitant about the whole idea :\

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Does she enjoy any of RTJ's stuff? If so, she'll have fun at the show.

Not really her kind of music but she's trying to be supportive since none of my friends like them either :v:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Saw Father John Misty last night for the second time this year. He was excellent back in March but I could really tell he had become more comfortable with the audience since then. The Q&A session before the encore was funny. Dude doesn't eat candy apparently. Also unsurprisingly will not be voting for Donald Trump.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

Someone at mine asked him why he didn't have black fans.. that was funny.

Oh god how did he respond to that?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New Grimes owns but even more than the new album I loved all the people that were doom and gloom over how "mainstream" Flesh without Blood was and were saying Art Angels wasn't going to be good. I mean, I love Flesh without Blood and even the weirder stuff like Scream or Venus Fly but how hard is it to like a simple song? Reminds me a lot of people who were let down by Tame Impala's record earlier this year because they didn't like the poppier sound the went with.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Does anyone have any indie christmas song playlists? I heard Dent May's "I'll Be Stoned For Christmas" and I'd love more stuff in this same vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_4_R_pBox0

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Can anyone recommend I see Har Mar Superstar live? He's playing near here in April and it seems like it would be fun but I've only ever heard a little bit of his music.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just found about this artist/song, pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oUeqOkb90

Loved this song since I first heard it on XMU, they've been playing the poo poo out of it since it premiered around Christmas.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So apparently Prince Rama is a thing and I like them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUV4gByyKck

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I know I pretty much only post in this thread to ask whether concerts are worth going to but here goes another one: Yeasayer. I've been a fan for a few years and they're gonna be in Nashville around my birthday. Are they decent live?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New M83 album is good but like a third of the songs sound like extended cuts of the theme to a primetime 1986 dramedy starring Angela Lansbury or Tom Selleck (Moon Crystal esp.).

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

When I saw St. Vincent right before her show started a computer voice came over the PA to ask kindly not to use your phones to record/photograph. Also when I saw Father John Misty there was a neon light setup behind him saying No Photography.. and then near the end of the show changed another color and flashed with the no part off PHOTOGRAPHY.

Almost everyone listened to both, so I think if the artist cares nowadays, the audience will mostly abide.

It's me, I was the dick that used my phone to take a picture of the NO PHOTOGRAPHY neon sign. I'm not a good listener :(

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

turnip kid posted:

Seems like news about these guys falls on deaf ears nowadays, but this is great news:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/super-furry-animals-release-first-11273479

?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know who Krrum is, but I heard this song on XMU today and it loving owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uky9ssVdykw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Hey it's your local Father John Misty stan here letting you all know he released a new song today and some people did a little digging in his online store that seems to indicate he has a new album coming out March 31st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKrSYgirAhc