Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Can I bring up WHY? for a minute?

I had pretty much the same reaction to Eskimo Snow and Mumps etc when they released. Big fan of Alopecia but those next two didn't really grab me.

I don't know what changed but in the last year Mumps has really been growing on me. I loved 'Paper Hearts' 'Sod In The Seed' and 'Jonathon's Hope' almost immediately. A lot of the other songs pop into my head as well, and now I'm into all of them except 'Kevin's Cancer' and 'Strawberries'.

I've got zero urge to listen to Eskimo Snow though. Even with the whole thing of it being songs from Alopecia sessions, they're just so samey and have all of the bite and good flow/lyrics taken out of them. Mumps etc felt like a midpoint between the two and was just the right balance for me to still like it.

Shout out to the Sod In The Seed EP from the same time as well, Shag Carpet is great and I won't hear otherwise.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thought it might appeal to some of you:
https://arthhur.bandcamp.com/album/lost-in-the-walled-city

It’s also on Spotify.

Just wanted to say I've been listening to this for a few days and really enjoying it, especially the first and last tracks. It's all grest though, definitely going to check out some of their other albums soon.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Confession time: I've really been coming around on the new Modest Mouse. I still think it's their weakest album, but I feel compelled to keep listening to it.

I even got a ticket to see them in October! That'll be my 3rd time seeing them and they'll be my first show since the pandemic started.

I'm feeling the same and am really enjoying about two thirds of the songs on the album. I've also gone back to listen to Good News over the last few days, turns out I love the entire thing now. I never gave it much attention back in the day, partly due to dumb teen logic of 'oh no this is the popular album with the big hit song'.

Looking back after another 3 albums have come out since then, I appreciate it a lot more. I love the banjo in a lot of the songs, Satin in a Coffin and Bury Me With It are big hits for me but I don't dislike a single song. I think Lonesome Crowded West is still near the top for me because of when I listened to it, but this is definitely up there.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 28, 2021

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I still can't believe how good Treats is after all this time. I've enjoyed a few songs across some of the albums since then, but this one is still just right from start to finish.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Time for Spoon's new album Lucifer on the Sofa today, I'm loving everything I've heard so far but need to give it a full listen through later on. They're continuing the trend of great opening tracks with a Bill Callahan cover this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E02Afe_G8G4

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The Panda Bear and Sonic Boom album is out today and I'm liking it a lot, it's got a nice laid back stretch of songs in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eEc_XRBGOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFTKDs-FtVE

Automatic - Skyscraper. Sultry synthpop. looking for more in line with IDIB? check it out.

I'm super into this entire album, thanks for posting.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

incoherent posted:

https://spoontheband.bandcamp.com/album/lucifer-on-the-moon

Spoon dub as all gently caress remix album is my album of the year.

I had no idea about this, what a nice surprise. I'm only partway through but really liking it so far.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Any recommendations on where to start with The War On Drugs? They're coming here with Spoon as a supporting act in December. I'm a huge Spoon fan and tossing up whether it's worth going along to see them and just never gave The War On Drugs a proper listen. Guess I've got a few months to change that though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

the unabonger posted:

Underscores has a new album out called Wallsocket and it's pretty good! Definitely has that underscores sound (the particular sound of voice modulation underscores uses is so distinctive and lovely), but goes in a more indie direction than pop, continuing the trend between fishmonger and fearmonger.

I knew nothing about this band before the last couple of days but man I'm loving this album a whole lot. Just incredible all around, Locals (Girls like us) was an easy early favourite for me.