Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Hi thread,

Looking for some recommendations for good indie/folk stuff I might not have heard of. I'm a fan of the Lumineers, Mumford and Sons (yes, I know), and Of Monsters and Men if that helps. Thanks!

To Kill a King
Foals
Lord Huron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

10 tracks is a bit short, but I am enjoying Purity Rings new album, and Sea Castle really stands out. Sometimes bands release all the good singles before the album drops, but this is not the case here.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm seeing Matt and Kim this week and a bit worried what it might be. Their new album was pretty disappointing, and some of the banter you guys are talking about sounds pretty cringey. Is their set list pretty balanced out, or just loaded with the new album?

Slandible fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 18, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Ex Hex are rad. Take a listen to a few of their songs on YouTube or spotify, see if they're up your alley.

They're even better live. I saw them last year in some little hole in the wall venue and was blown away by it. Some serious talent in that band.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I saw Purity Ring last night and really enjoyed their set. Their light show is amazing and they sounded really well live. Though I wonder how much of it was live because they sounded like studio quality.

I wasn't too into Braids at first, partially because the lead singers voice was really struggling from some throat infection. It wasn't until the last song, though, when the drummer went into a crazy set and it was great. I might have to check more of them out.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Clevermuldoon posted:

Chvrches announced the title of their new album Every Open Eye and it'll be out September 25th. They released their first single Leave a Trace. Sounds pretty good.

Their debut album was amazing, and this new single plus Get Away are giving me high hopes they'll continue to be a great band. Sounds like Lauren heard the criticism of having too low of voice, she's really booming on Leave a Trace. :drat:

Slandible fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 16, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Just discovered Beverly and really digging their stuff. I'm getting a Dum Dum Girls/Smashing Pumpkins vibe from them. They come here next week and thinking about checking it out.

Honey Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAG0EhVPUR0

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

interpunct posted:

Officially hyped. I pre-ordered the white LP from their UK store because I was too impatient to find out if they'd release it in the US. Tomorrow, I'm going to try for tickets to next week's show in Brooklyn that they announced a few hours ago. Hopefully they'll preview a lot of new material there.

They put up the white vinyl pre order for the US this weekend, got mine all set. Holy poo poo I am amped for this album.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Saw Beverly tonight with support from a local band in Detroit named Tart. Both where really good and more than worth seeing for $10. First time I really got to hang out with a band after a show for a few drinks, small venues best venues.

E>>> Here's some stuff from Tart: https://soundcloud.com/tartband

Slandible fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 25, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I was considering the Dear Rouge show myself since I like a few of their songs, but just now checking out Rah Rah and thinking this should be an easy $12 decision.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I agreed to seeing Beach House several months back and its coming up in the next few weeks. I know a few of their songs, but not a whole lot. Are they still a entertaining show if you're not a huge fan?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I too missed out on RTJ last year and hated myself for doing so. Thankful they are coming back, and October is going to be baller as hell. RTJ, Chvrchrs, and Dear Rouge. And still have to decide on In The Valley Below and Madison Ward/Mama Bear.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm really enjoying that album too. She opened for a band I saw last year and I was very impressed with her live performance. I thought she sounded better than her recorded stuff. Shame I didn't know who she was at the time.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I listened to the new Chvrches album on the way home today. The singles released so far and a few others I am really digging (including Martins), but the back end of the album feels pretty forgettable. Bones of What You believe was front to back amazing for me, so I will have to probably go through this a few more times to really get a feel for it. Seeing them again early on next month and still pretty excited regardless.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It was one of my favorite shows this year and I wasn't a huge fan of theirs to start with. Basically, you made a terrible decision.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I bought into the hype for Bigrams, but wasn't very excited after the first single.

Still quite a bit I'm looking forward to listening to tonight. Check out the rest of Bigrams, Chvrchrs, and Dead Weather all came out today.

E- Also my Chvrches album got delayed in transit from what I am to believe is the Pope visiting. drat you for interfering with my music!

Slandible fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 25, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It's probably a long way out, but Alison Mosshart did a Q and A today and basically confirmed a new Kills album currently in the works. Let the hype begin.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Seated venues are always terrible for any concert. I saw Jack White last year at one and it killed the energy. So much so he left the stage after about 45 minutes and had to be convinced by his band to return. Part of it probably is him being a smug poo poo, but seats played a part in that I'm sure.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

What the hell. Didn't their last one just come out? Like not even 2 months ago?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Just got back from Chvrches and I still hated seated venues. Still, they put on a really great show and are really sounding better live compared to where they where early last year. I've seen Under the Tide live twice now, and it is still the greatest live song. Martin is so drat awesome.

E>> Lauren doing drums on a few songs was really awesome too.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 9, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm pretty hyped for new Grimes. I was never a big fan of her stuff, but the single Realiti got me pretty pumped for new stuff. She didn't put it on her album saying something like it will be even better material. So this album is either going to be amazing, or total garbage.

E-- Ok, according to the link, Realiti is on it now.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Flesh without Blood is alright, I'm not really wowed though. Hopefully it will be streaming next week and I can get a better idea of what the album will be like.

I think it may have been mentioned in here, don't really know where else to put it. I saw Run the Jewels live over the weekend, and it is the most intense poo poo I've ever been apart of. drat those dudes put on a great show.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I too saw Chvrches and RTJ in about a two week span. Probably the best shows this year.

Assuming you mean Under the Tide for Chvrches? Aside from this year, I also saw them early last year and can attest that that song live is incredible.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I really warmed up to Flesh Without Blood, but Scream is doing nothing for me. Like a less fun Die Antwoord.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 30, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

This weekend I'm seeing Dear Rouge with Rah Rah in a small venue and I'm pretty pumped, but as much as I enjoy DR's stuff, I am only noticing an EP. I recall some others saying they were planning on seeing them as well, umm, what other material do they play?

Also at this point, I think I might be more excited for Rah Rah now. The Poets Dead album is really good.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Wow, the Dear Rouge / Rah Rah show I was going to got canceled because the venue is retarded. loving great.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh the gently caress, what happened? Are you able to get to another nearby show?

I have no idea. The venue has 2 stages and something else going on the same night, so either the hosed that up or just didn't advertise right. I was talking to DR on Twitter and suggesting nearby shows, I might try driving out to the one in London Canada tonight.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Well guessing I'm going. Dear Rouge felt bad about the cancellation and put me on the guest list for tonight.

E-- And now I can't go. So much disappointment in one day. Hope you enjoy it Clam Down.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 7, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

DR is absolutely incredible and probably my favourite band, do it.

Well after everything trying to gently caress me over from getting to their show today, I made it, and it was totally worth it. Both Dear Rogue and Rah Rah were great and Danielle of DR even got me in for free and gave me a poster for making the drive. Thanks for convincing me to go, probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

T Bowl posted:

So I bought The Cure floor tickets yesterday, where the gently caress do I go to post about that?

Dad rock thread.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Must be nice to get people to play two nights in a city. Feels like most people just travel through Michigan to get to Toronto and Chicago...

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm seeing that same show you are in Vancouver on the 20th, so loving stoked.

Hey, don't know if you'll see this in time, but make sure to get there early for Rah Rah. They are incredibly good, and I felt they stole the show when I saw them two weeks ago.

I've been listening to their albums more than Dear Rouges stuff.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICruF30bCEI

POLIÇA - "Lime Habit"

Polica is back with a new album. For those who love their bassy as gently caress feminist rock. It's me

I saw them about two years ago in a dive bar to a super small crowd and they were pretty drat good. They are coming here in April and I'm tempted to go, but this single isn't doing a whole lot for me.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Chvrches has been consistently getting better. I saw them last year, and saw them again just over a year later, it was like watching a whole other band take the stage. I can't wait to see how they keep progressing.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Goons hate everything. Especially other people's opinions.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Amazing how much this thread and the Pop one dictate my musical preference. I sure do like lady singers a whole lot:

https://open.spotify.com/user/unstoppabledog/playlist/3nZhOdaKGCc5hpxC6LneMc

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

you should really listen to Empress Of if you haven't yet. also hell yeah Beverly owns

here's me: https://open.spotify.com/user/anvolcano/playlist/3ZoMHbxoHUZiUOTTfylMO0

I'm kind of disappointed in myself this year, tbh. For the past few years, I've kept a Spotify starred playlist and cleared it at the end of the year, with the goal of adding one song a day (or at least ending up with >=365 total). Last couple years, I got up to around ~300, which was pretty good. This year, my starred playlist has only 206 songs, and probably only ~35% of that actually came out this year. I feel like there's a bunch of great music that came out this year that I completely missed, so I am glad I don't know like 70% of the songs on the playlists y'all have shared so far!

Empress Of was an opener for something I saw last year and kind of brushed her off, but the album she put out this year was really good. It's hard narrowing stuff down at the end of the year. I usually send some giant essay out to my friends that I'm sure most of them don't even read.

Beverly too is great. Went to see them this summer really for just something to do on a Friday night and drat. Was like a crowd of ten people, but they are really a good band.

Edit: Also britishbornandbread already went through yours. Liking the Chormatics and Spector songs.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 11, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Catching up on some other stuff tonight, apparently Lucius dropped a new single last week as well as a video. Pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv6jER7wrPM

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I didn't even know about that Phantogram song for a few months until NPR mentioned it. It was for a video game soundtrack, but they never mentioned doing that song at all. Which is crazy because I think it's one of their best.

Tove Styrke has been my jam all year long, I can't get enough of it. Her album Kiddo is one of my all time favorites now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Same here, I went through I think everyone that posted one last night. A lot of new stuff I like and some similar artists popping up. Top 10 was a great idea because it's quite simple, but still gets out what you wanted. Keep them coming!