Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

The Rover posted:

I just discovered Portugal. The Man last week on AXS channel playing some live music. I am blown away at how good they are. They are coming to Detroit in June and I am really wanting to see them. It looks like they put on a really good live show based on some clips I have watched, and the Kimmel show last night. That new song (the one on Kimmel) posted a few posts up is great!

Mmm, I guess I'm going to be bumping shoulders with my Detroit goon bro come June. I didn't know they were coming here, that's great news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008

giogadi posted:

Heads-up: I've recently been obsessed with a singer-songwriter named Angel Olsen. She mostly does acoustic-vocal-bass work and it's just gorgeous. She has this wavering, soaring voice that's difficult to compare to anyone else - "a female Will Oldham" is the best I can come with.

http://youtu.be/5v5t4Lxp5VQ
http://youtu.be/SY-wOA7MTZY

Angel Olsen will be in Brooklyn this Sunday.

Seconding this, folky and soulful stuff... I started listening to her a few months back when Bat for Lashes started talking about Angel Olson during an Interview, thank you XMU.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

ThatsMyBoye posted:

This is p. good, just poppy enough to not be completely lost in shoegaze mud.

And the Portugal album is ok. Only a couple things grabbed me first time through, but we'll see if it grows.

Mmm, I really enjoyed the Portugal album. It had five songs which I loved and the tracks in between those songs were solid enough that I never skipped around. I've been jamming really hard to Modern Jesus and Purple, Yellow, Red & Blue like all week.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

Yes, they are rapidly becoming a favorite band. Eyelid movies felt a bit to long with a bit to much filler, but the ep after that was one of my favorite records of last year and this new one is also really really good.

I saw them (i use the word saw lightly as I was to far back to see much) at bonnaroo and all the tracks that felt kinda weak on album sounded much much better and I have a bit more appreciation for them (sixteen years gives me chills now). Pretty excited about a new tour and a smaller venue.

Dude, I saw them this past Monday and walked in not knowing one song, it was intense. They were more than fantastic live... you're going to be so drat pumped after that show.

Also, the Future Islands were with them and that dude was nuts to watch live too.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Could just live in the post-apocalyptic land that is Metro-Detroit like me and stumble into shows. Zero murdering required, you will likely want to kill yourself though. Just kidding it's great here.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I could never hear another Sleigh Bells song ever again and be totally happy. All of their stuff sounds like a woman singing in her car during a traffic jam in the middle of a construction zone by the airport.

This however...

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been listening to Lucius pretty obsessively ever since I saw their Tiny Desk Concert about nine months ago

Is fantastic, thanks dude/brosahphine! I'll go enjoy them for the both of us on Oct. 29th when they come my way.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Since there's been some Lucius love up in here, I just want to point out that their album is one of Amazon's $5 albums for November.

I have been listening to this record non-stop for like three weeks, and I got to see them this Monday... SOOO good live.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

JayMax posted:

Maybe the Moon Hooch fans here would dig Misteur Valaire.

You weren't wrong, enjoyed Don't Get La' a lot.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Enjoyed it, thanks.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Karenina posted:

So a couple months back I saw Kishi Bashi in Northampton, and holy crap, he was fantastic. Before then I'd just heard 151a, his debut studio album. It was nice, happy indie pop, but not that memorable. His live stuff is a lot more exciting. More improvisation, more energy, and (pardon my musical ignorance) some looping thing with the violin. Check him out!

Live in Norfolk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZsBtNnwsSw
Tiny Desk Concert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqAmZHkkTg

Agreed, he mentioned the last time he was here in Detroit that he'd have a new album out by March, which I'm really excited for.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Love those dudes, can't wait for them to come back to town.